2013 NFL season in HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 483 Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Georgia Dome for the SEC Championship game is far from a "tomb"' take my word for it.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Congratulations to the Cincinnati Bengals... or is it better to call them the Bungles? You lived down to expectations in the playoffs. Again. biggrin.gif

Four turnovers. Again. Just like last week. But this week, your opponent didn't fall into that trap and didn't turn the ball over at all. Zero. Nada. Piddle.

Go Chargers. (their next opponent, and their quarterback too, are probably thinking: Oy, dese guys again!)

Anyone notice that there were a lot of empty seats in the mid-level (I guess that was the club level)? Pretty obvious that it was nowhere near a 'sellout' for attendance.

Ominous sign for the NFL, they need to get real with this stuff or their fanbase will drift away to their comfy homes, HDTVs, and surrounds.

I wouldn't want to be Andy Dalton this morning, that dude could end up as a head case the way he's played in the playoffs the last 3 years.
post #453 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Are the Bengals gonna blame the fans for their loss? it'll be the day the team blames the fans for not selling out..

75% Visiting team win rating so far, so what's the advantage of sell outs and playing on your home turf?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #454 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Are the Bengals gonna blame the fans for their loss? it'll be the day the team blames the fans for not selling out..

75% Visiting team win rating so far, so what's the advantage of sell outs and playing on your home turf?
The trouble with the Wild Card round, is that most of the time (not all the time), the division winner hosting the game is inferior to the wild card team that is visiting. I'm actually surprised/disappointed that teams with 8 or 9 wins can actually win a game at all, even if it is at home.

As far as Cincinnati is concerned, I wouldn't put everything on Dalton. I feel that coaching has a lot to do with them having poor playoffs. How many playoff games did this team win before he showed up?
post #455 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember when there was only 24 teams and 12 made the playoffs, now there's 32, can the 16 BEST teams make it? this division qualifying stuff is a bit weird... well if it weren't for that KC loss 3 teams of the same Division would have made it through.

post #456 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Anyone notice that there were a lot of empty seats in the mid-level (I guess that was the club level)? Pretty obvious that it was nowhere near a 'sellout' for attendance.

Ominous sign for the NFL, they need to get real with this stuff or their fanbase will drift away to their comfy homes, HDTVs, and surrounds.

Club seats don't count towards the sell out rule. However, those seats could have been sold and the people were just staying inside the warm and dry club.

That's why the NFL is against getting rid of the blackout rule. They know they will have many half full stadiums if the games are televised locally without being sold out.
post #457 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

If the teams are good and the weather is bearable there's no "excuse" for not selling out each game.

post #458 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Were all four winners favorites?

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #459 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

As far as Cincinnati is concerned, I wouldn't put everything on Dalton. I feel that coaching has a lot to do with them having poor playoffs. How many playoff games did this team win before he showed up?

Did you watch the second half yesterday? Dalton almost single-handedly gave the game to the Chargers.
post #460 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

But Dalton couldn't pull off a "Luck", recover from his huge errors and try again, maybe he tried to pull off a Luck with his head first slides all over and those didn't work obviously.

Man this weekend was full of QB's running a lot.. Smith, Luck, Dalton, Kapernick, etc..

post #461 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Club seats don't count towards the sell out rule. However, those seats could have been sold and the people were just staying inside the warm and dry club.

That's why the NFL is against getting rid of the blackout rule. They know they will have many half full stadiums if the games are televised locally without being sold out.

Blacking out games is stupid, period. If the home town fans can't go to the games because the tickets have been priced out of their reach or, as in the case of my hometown Panthers, expensive PSL's are first required to even buy a season ticket, and then they can't even watch the team on television, you enter what I would call a "flush cycle". People can't see the games, they get resentful, they lose interest, ticket sales are further depressed. Then, the rest of the script goes: owner threatens to move the team (usually to LA - why do you think the League doesn't put an expansion team there?) if city doesn't subsidize his "losses". Of course, no NFL owner actually ever loses money because of the giant TV contracts that are shared equally. (You pay for that in the increased cost of beer, cars, and cable television fees.) Owning an NFL team is as close to owning your own money-printing mint as you can get.

My team just extorted $87 million out of the city of Charlotte for escalators (for which the stadium wasn't even designed) and a new scoreboard even though the team's owner is a billionaire and could easily have paid for the upgrades himself. He keeps all the profits, naturally, and they are considerable. That's true even though the PSL buying fanbase paid for most of the stadium construction. They get no share of the profits and if you fail to renew your season tix, you lose your PSL and all equity therein. Somewhere, P.T. Barnum is laughing.

It's a giant racket, and the American public is hooked on it like a junkie on crack. Me included, I'm not proud to admit. redface.gif
post #462 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The next thing is have every stadium with a retractable roof, so people can go an be confy and no more weather delays of any kind (unless you have a Hurricane or something)

Who will pay for these? the City of course and the fans with higher ticket prices (not to mention parking, concession stands etc)

post #463 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Did you watch the second half yesterday? Dalton almost single-handedly gave the game to the Chargers.
Oh sure he was awful. But while Dalton is 0-3 in playoff games, Lewis and his staff are 0-5.
post #464 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The PSL is forced on you for the 'right' to buy season tickets. What a greedy scam!
If you decide you don't want the tickets, the team can then sell them to the public....but you still paid for the PSL.

The league, teams, and networks make big money on advertising, so even if the game is not 'sold out' they rake in cash having on local tv.

The killer will come the day all of the games are PPV only. So far, the networks keep paying huge $'s for the tv rights. Time will tell how much longer it will be.
post #465 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well if they're spending $1 billion on a new stadium, you might as well have a roof, as the cost seems comparable either way.

A roof would expand the potential number of venues a stadium could host, including non-sports events. Not only that, a roof could give a new stadium a better chance to host SuperBowls. This NY stadium will get one SB and will not likely be in the running for another because of the weather factor.

It's just a better return on investment to be able to close the roof and take weather out of the equation for the potential events that the stadium could host.

As for ticket prices and TV, I think Sunday and Monday Night football were among the highest-rated shows during the TV season. So networks will continue to bid for those as well as overall NFL TV rights.

The interesting question is if there will be a taker for the Thursday Night Football package. The league would prefer to get paid for those from another network rather than hosting it on the NFL Network.

Or maybe Thursday Night is one too many night of the NFL, even for the avid fans.
post #466 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

The interesting question is if there will be a taker for the Thursday Night Football package. The league would prefer to get paid for those from another network rather than hosting it on the NFL Network.

I thought the League wanted those games for itself so as to give the fledgling NFL Network some actual compelling content other than more talking heads (which ESPN has quite enough of) and pump up its value & ad rates? Certainly, that package didn't lack for suitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 
Or maybe Thursday Night is one too many night of the NFL, even for the avid fans.

No question about it. The players hate the Thursday games, they make a mockery of the League's new reputed concern over player safety, and the fans of the home teams don't care for another school/work night game where you're dumped out at midnight into a sea of drunks on the drive home. It's a money grab, pure and simple. The only Thursday that NFL games should be played on is Thanksgiving, and those end at a reasonable hour. Tradition has its perks.
JSUL likes this.
post #467 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I heard that they're shopping the package. If not next year, then in the next TV contract at least.

They expanded from a few weeks to almost the whole season.
post #468 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

Despite bad matchups and lousy results, Thursday Night Football viewership climbs by 10 percent

Including the audience from over-the-air broadcasts in local markets, NFL Network’s 13-game schedule of Thursday Night Football broadcasts finished with a record-high per game average audience of 8 million viewers in 2013, up 10% from 2012, marking the fifth consecutive year that Thursday Night Football has set an all-time high viewership mark for NFL Network.

For the season, Thursday Night Football on NFL Network averaged a 5.0 US HH rating (including OTA’s) – another record for the network – a 9% increase from the 2012 season. Each week of the 2013 Thursday Night Football schedule, NFL Network’s game telecast was the day’s most-watched program on cable television.

As much as I hate them, Thursday night games are here to stay. What surprised me; there were no Saturday NFL games this past season (playoff games don’t count). That hasn’t happened in some time. I hate those, too. biggrin.gif
post #469 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Not every franchise extorts taxpayers for public funds to build a stadium. Working families should not have to be taxed to subsidize billionaire owners and multi-millionaire players to pay for my entertainment.
post #470 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

What surprised me; there were no Saturday NFL games this past season (playoff games don’t count). That hasn’t happened in some time. I hate those, too. biggrin.gif

The NFL ended the Saturday games when they expanded the Thursday night schedule, so it's been a few years now.
post #471 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

The NFL ended the Saturday games when they expanded the Thursday night schedule, so it's been a few years now.

The Redskins played on Saturday, December 24th, 2011. I hated that, too. biggrin.gif

It looks like 2011 was the last season for Saturday games.
post #472 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

NFLN already said they are not getting rid of thursday night games just that they may sell some as part of a package that also includes a wildcard playoff game.

post #473 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Not every franchise extorts taxpayers for public funds to build a stadium. Working families should not have to be taxed to subsidize billionaire owners and multi-millionaire players to pay for my entertainment.[/quote.

Agree, but cities sell it on the idea of the jobs and revenue it will bring, plus fans cant vision the thought of their team leaving to go to another city....unless you are in LA.

Hate the Pats if you choose, but the owner spent his own money for the stadium. Here in Arlington, we voted in Jerry World. The property the stadium is built upon was full if blight...abandoned apts, and low rental property that the residents themselves voted for the stadium.
post #474 of 483 Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

As much as I hate them, Thursday night games are here to stay. What surprised me; there were no Saturday NFL games this past season (playoff games don’t count). That hasn’t happened in some time. I hate those, too. biggrin.gif

The NFL is barred from airing pro games on Friday and Saturday during high school and college football season due to antitrust laws. After those seasons have ended (mid December) is when you usually see those Saturday games.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #475 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The NFL is barred from airing pro games on Friday and Saturday during high school and college football season due to antitrust laws. After those seasons have ended (mid December) is when you usually see those Saturday games.

I didn't realize there was a law. But since there are laws about when NFL games can be played, maybe we should have laws forcing College game to be on Fridays or Saturdays, not Mondays Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays. If Fridays and Saturdays are "reserved" and off-limits, then lets use them for their intended purpose. Lets not have games on nights when people have to work (and students have classes) the next morning.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #476 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I never have had a problem with the blackout rules for NFL games. I understand they do it to get fans to come to the games instead of staying at home and watching it on TV. But when they started doing these PSLs, charging outrageous prices for tickets and parking, and ask the taxpayers to pony up money to build these stadiums, the blackout rules should be eliminated. As a taxpayer, you should be allowed to see that game on TV since you have already contributed to the funding of the stadium. It's a different deal if the team owner pays for half or the whole amount.
post #477 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

I never have had a problem with the blackout rules for NFL games. I understand they do it to get fans to come to the games instead of staying at home and watching it on TV. But when they started doing these PSLs, charging outrageous prices for tickets and parking, and ask the taxpayers to pony up money to build these stadiums, the blackout rules should be eliminated. As a taxpayer, you should be allowed to see that game on TV since you have already contributed to the funding of the stadium. It's a different deal if the team owner pays for half or the whole amount.

Actually, the PSL concept and taxpayer-funded subsidies are two different things. PSL's involve convincing fanatical fans who desperately want a team in their town to fund the construction of a zillion-dollar stadium, then holds that investment hostage to buy season tickets forevermore even if the product on the field is horrible or their financial situation changes (they can always sell them, though usually at a loss after the initial euphoria wears off). The PSL holders do not share in team profits even though they have an equity stake.

Taxpayer subsidies are usually used as an extortion tactic to "tether" (seriously, that's what they call it) a team to the town when the owner suggests, sometimes with PR-enhanced subtlety, sometimes more overtly if they just don't care, that if the city doesn't pony up... well... the bright lights of LA or some other city that desperately wants to join the Big Leagues and a big ol' moving van are always waiting.

But as they often go hand in hand (see my post about the Panthers' stadium above), and as the principle goal of a professional sports team owner is to leverage his product and maximize his income by privatizing his profits and socializing his expenses, your point is still valid. The time has come to end the blackout rule.
post #478 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yeah.. they always speak of the bright lights of LA. The city that has ALREADY HAD two NFL teams and already proven that they cannot keep them . . . rolleyes.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #479 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Yeah.. they always speak of the bright lights of LA. The city that has ALREADY HAD two NFL teams and already proven that they cannot keep them . . . rolleyes.gif

Like I mentioned above, LA is more useful to the League owners as a tool to extort money from their current cities than if it actually had a team.
post #480 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Not every franchise extorts taxpayers for public funds to build a stadium. Working families should not have to be taxed to subsidize billionaire owners and multi-millionaire players to pay for my entertainment.

Maybe not every franchise but certainly almost all of them. In the ATL Arthur Blank just got the city to pony up at least $200 mil to help fund a new retractable roof stadium with hotel/rental car tax money (so we can fleece the visitors). And this will also come with PSLs which the Falcons currently don't have, so the fans will pony up big too.

This is to replace the GA Dome which is only a little over 20 years old and still in great condition, btw.

To top that off, the Braves just played off my locale, Cobb County, against the city of Atlanta to score another taxpayer-funded stadium to replace an even younger Turner Field.

Two new stadiums that in many eyes here are completely unnecessary facility-wise, but both teams claim the opposite case economically speaking. And in both cases, ownership could and should have fully funded them but as usual the pols are willing to do whatever it takes to keep them happy. Without taking a vote from the taxpayers for either stadium, I might add - the Braves stadium deal in particular was done in secret and rammed through the Cobb Co. Commission by the chairman before any opposition could get going. Lawsuits have followed of course.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page