post #481 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I thought the League wanted those games for itself so as to give the fledgling NFL Network some actual compelling content other than more talking heads (which ESPN has quite enough of) and pump up its value & ad rates? [

Now that the NFL Network is on most carriers, they are looking to dump at least part of the Thursday night package so they can make even more money. They do not care about their customers. They are only looking to profit on their huge ratings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

... the Braves stadium deal in particular was done in secret and rammed through the Cobb Co. Commission by the chairman before any opposition could get going. Lawsuits have followed of course.
What do they say..."it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission" eek.gif
That's how a lot of "iffy" projects get built around here, they erect it quick and dirty without public debate, permits, etc... then if called on it- they pay small fines (they build a green area/park with a duck pond, walking path, etc) and get the proper permits, etc... after the fact in a fraction of the time and at a fraction of the cost if they had done it by the book.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #483 of 483 Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The time has come to end the blackout rule.

I see I neglected to repost the following when this subject came up earlier in the thread.

But I heard a couple Cincinnati radio DJs jabbering ignorantly about this last week before the playoff game there sold out, so it’s probably time for another rerun.

From Hot Off The Press:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Washington Notes
TV Sports Blackouts to End? FCC Wants to Eliminate Rule
By Ted Johnson, Variety.com - Nov. 1, 2013

FCC Acting Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn has introduced a proposal to end the agency’s nearly 40-year-old sports blackout rule, saying that changes in the marketplace have “raised questions” about whether they are still in the public interest.

I fail to understand why the FCC would have anything to do with any league's blackout agreements

It doesn’t. Most of the popular press about this issue, including the Variety article, is just plain wrong.

The FCC sports blackout rule is simply a variation on its syndex and network non-dup rules, and it applies only to games made available to cable/satellite viewers via out-of-market, aka “distant” broadcast stations, when such games are not carried by a local broadcaster. This rule fills a hole in the syndex/non-dup rules whereby a local broadcaster that would normally have local broadcast rights to a game and thus be able to have the distant broadcast deleted pursuant to its syndex/non-dup rights, cannot invoke such rights because the local broadcast is blacked out pursuant to league rules.

In other words, all the FCC blackout rule does is allow a locally blacked out game to also be blacked out from cable and satellite subscribers who might otherwise receive that game via a superstation or distant network service.

But today, very few subscribers receive out of market broadcast stations at all, and very rarely do such stations carry games to which the rule would apply, so all the hubbub about this rule is really much ado about nothing, and most folks expecting to see more sports if/when the rule is ended will be sorely disappointed.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page