post #91 of 483 Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Well if you put the redzone channel on they were showing all the other games. tongue.gif

Did you get to see the Cowboys blow another game on it today. tongue.gif

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 483 Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

You got hosed. Chicago, Green Bay, Indy, and Arizona all got screwed, too. I blame the schedule makers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

Be lucky you don't live in Arizona. The only market in the country not able to watch Denver/Dallas today.

I always used to go thru the entire schedule when it cam out in april to figure what doublheaders the NY area would get.
But now with redzone it doesnt really matter to me anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Did you get to see the Cowboys blow another game on it today. tongue.gif

Actually in the long run its better cause then the schedule is easier & we get higher draft pix next year. biggrin.gif

post #93 of 483 Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

They show four consecutive games on Saturday as well. ESPN showed Washington vs. Stanford at 10:30pm. That game would end around 2am. Who watched four consecutive games on Saturday and four consecutive games on Sunday this weekend? I watched 3 games Saturday and 3 games Sunday.

Yeah, but I don't have to work on Sundays, so I can sleep until 10am and wake up for more football!

I usually watch at least two, if not three games on Saturdays (especially Alabama, which was on ESPN3.)

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #94 of 483 Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
NYJ/ATL looks pretty good on ESPN, Cablevision LI, NY. Surrounds are good.

The simulcast on WPIX OTA looks ok, but does not look as good as ESPN, plus even though my receiver is lit up 5.1, I can hear the announcers in the front surrounds, whereas ESPN is true 5.1.

Nice win by the Jets!
post #95 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually in the long run its better cause then the schedule is easier & we get higher draft pix next year. biggrin.gif

Also they can fire Jason Garrett while their at it. He should have been canned at the end of last year.

post #96 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Damn, with the Jets playing Monday night, I was expecting to get 3 games in NY on Sunday afternoon. Not the case. Giants playing home on FOX, which is the singleheader this week.

Unbelievable it's happening again this weekend. Giants play Thursday night, but Jets are home on Sunday and CBS is the single header this week, so only 2 games again. I could never understand this singleheader home/away rule.
post #97 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unbelievable it's happening again this weekend. Giants play Thursday night, but Jets are home on Sunday and CBS is the single header this week, so only 2 games again. I could never understand this singleheader home/away rule.

They want to protect the local team when home so tixholders will go to the game not stay home & watch the other "better" game that would be on against it.

Its kinda outdated now with redzone/sunday ticket but that was essentially the original intent.

post #98 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They want to protect the local team when home so tixholders will go to the game not stay home & watch the other "better" game that would be on against it.

Its kinda outdated now with redzone/sunday ticket but that was essentially the original intent.

Anymore these days, it's used to force fans to attend the games of the home team. If the stadium doesn't sell out, the game is blacked out locally (I believe that even includes Sunday Ticket, but I don't have it nor do I live in a primary NFL market).

post #99 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Anymore these days, it's used to force fans to attend the games of the home team. If the stadium doesn't sell out, the game is blacked out locally (I believe that even includes Sunday Ticket, but I don't have it nor do I live in a primary NFL market).

I don't quite understand the rationale of allowing only the local team to be the only one on TV at a given time. If the game isn't blacked out, that means its a sell-out, therefore how could they sell anymore tickets by not allowing any other game to be on TV?! I guess like dcowboy said, they want people who have already bought tickets to show up at the game.... so they can sell more concessions?! If your team is so terrible that people who have already bought tickets will stay home, you deserve it.

Not only are you blacked out from watching on Sunday Ticket if you live in a primary NFL market and its blacked out, you are blacked out from watching a game on Sunday Ticket if it is available on local TV.
post #100 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats why they do allow games to be shown against the local team when they are away cause theres no worry of you going/not going to the game.

post #101 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I don't understand the rationale of going to any game, ever.
post #102 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You & 27 other people watch parks & recreation....i dont get that. biggrin.gif

post #103 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats why they do allow games to be shown against the local team when they are away cause theres no worry of you going/not going to the game.
I understand that part. What I don't understand is if CBS was the DH this Sunday, then another game could be shown opposite on FOX, and the whole worry of fans not showing up to the game does not apply.
post #104 of 483 Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This upcoming sunday is a fox dh as week 6 & week 8 are almost always fox dhs due to them wanting a leadin for their baseball playoffs so in NY:

cbs has to show the jets so thats their 1 game.
fox cant show a game against the jets so they can only show saints/patriots.

post #105 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Not only are you blacked out from watching on Sunday Ticket if you live in a primary NFL market and its blacked out, you are blacked out from watching a game on Sunday Ticket if it is available on local TV.

That means Sunday Ticket is even a bigger ripoff than what it is.

post #106 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You still get to see every game every Sunday but the NFL wants you to watch your local Network channel if possible. The Networks pay them a lot of money for carriage and they don't want to lose those games.
post #107 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I’ve found this to be strange. Because I prefer to listen to the Redskins broadcasters rather than the ones assigned by the networks, I listen to the game via ESPN 980 through the computer. This means I have to pause the game about 1:10 or so to get in sync. If I watch OTA I have to do about a dozen adjustments during the game in order to be synced correctly; all of those come after commercial breaks. Two weeks ago I had to start watching the game via the Sunday Ticket because the local feed went into overtime when the Skins were scheduled to start. Once I synced to the game I never had to make another adjustment. Why would I have so many sync issues OTA and none with the ST? I can’t think of a reason one would be different from the other.
post #108 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's marketed towards those fans of teams who have had to move away from (or who never lived in) the primary market of a team. Especially if they live in a secondary market, like me. If you live in a secondary market, there are no blackout rules. So you do get every game.

Me, I don't have DirecTV, so I either watch what they give me or I go to a sports bar. Rarely do I miss out on the best game of the week (the local stations are free to pick whichever compelling matchups are available to them in their timeslots). Unfortunately, that does mean I'm often stuck watching the Raiders or the Chargers or the 49ers, none of which I am a fan of, so I just hope that one of them is playing someone I do like.

post #109 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just calling directv will either get it free or a good $$ discount + other benefits that essentially make it free anyways.

Someone has to be a real dufus to not get that deal so dont know how something free is a ripoff.

post #110 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The protected games are starting to leak out:

CBS has protected the chiefs/broncos games in weeks 11 & 13 so neither can be flexed to SNF.

So 2 down 8 to go.

CBS/FOX had to each hand in their 5 games tuesday.

post #111 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The protected games are starting to leak out:

When these networks "protect" their games from the flex schedule, there should be some kind of requirement that makes them de facto national games. I know CBS/FOX are protecting their revenue by keeping a marquee game instead of giving it to NBC, but they also deny fans the opportunity to see the marquee game if they are broadcast in a market that already has games scheduled at that time.

post #112 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

It's marketed towards those fans of teams who have had to move away from (or who never lived in) the primary market of a team. Especially if they live in a secondary market, like me. If you live in a secondary market, there are no blackout rules. So you do get every game.

Me, I don't have DirecTV, so I either watch what they give me or I go to a sports bar. Rarely do I miss out on the best game of the week (the local stations are free to pick whichever compelling matchups are available to them in their timeslots). Unfortunately, that does mean I'm often stuck watching the Raiders or the Chargers or the 49ers, none of which I am a fan of, so I just hope that one of them is playing someone I do like.

I was blacked out on Sunday Ticket (I bought Madden 25 to get it), from watching Dallas vs KC a few weeks back. It gave me a message to watch the local station. The reason I checked was because KASA Fox 2 here cannot run a weather scroll without downscaling to SD. Which they were constantly doing that day.
post #113 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

I was blacked out on Sunday Ticket (I bought Madden 25 to get it), from watching Dallas vs KC a few weeks back. It gave me a message to watch the local station. The reason I checked was because KASA Fox 2 here cannot run a weather scroll without downscaling to SD. Which they were constantly doing that day.

That's different from a non-sellout blackout, though. You did have access to the game, you just didn't want to watch your local feed (which is totally understandable, as your local feed was inferior to what was available elsewhere).

post #114 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Watching NYG/CHI on NFLN , Cablevision, LI, NY, looks good.
C'mon G-men, let's get a win.
post #115 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

C'mon G-men, let's get a win.

The nightmare continues.
post #116 of 483 Old 10-10-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I’ve found this to be strange. Because I prefer to listen to the Redskins broadcasters rather than the ones assigned by the networks, I listen to the game via ESPN 980 through the computer. This means I have to pause the game about 1:10 or so to get in sync. If I watch OTA I have to do about a dozen adjustments during the game in order to be synced correctly; all of those come after commercial breaks. Two weeks ago I had to start watching the game via the Sunday Ticket because the local feed went into overtime when the Skins were scheduled to start. Once I synced to the game I never had to make another adjustment. Why would I have so many sync issues OTA and none with the ST? I can’t think of a reason one would be different from the other.

I wouldn't get surround sound if I did that. My surround sound receiver is hooked up to my TV.

post #117 of 483 Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I do the same thing. I have DirecTv. I'm not sure what the cause is but I think the DVR "slips". I find that I have to pause several times throughout the game so that they can sync up again.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #118 of 483 Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

I do the same thing. I have DirecTv. I'm not sure what the cause is but I think the DVR "slips". I find that I have to pause several times throughout the game so that they can sync up again.

I would love to do that but the one year that I bought the NFL radio broadcasts I just couldn't keep then synched so I gave up after a couple of weeks.
post #119 of 483 Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looks like San Diego will have the dubious distinction having the first Monday Night Football game blacked out in about 13 years as they host the Colts.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/oct/10/chargers-blackout-monday-night-football-colts/

And the FOUL!
post #120 of 483 Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Looks like San Diego will have the dubious distinction having the first Monday Night Football game blacked out in about 13 years as they host the Colts.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/oct/10/chargers-blackout-monday-night-football-colts/

Theyre wearing the cool powder blues too i love how they look in night games.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page