TBS speeds up Seinfeld a full 7.5 percent - here is the proof - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

My how things change.

It seems like everything is a render in Quantel these days.

Welcome to the joy of sofware replacing hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well, it'd be nice once in a while for stations to have special uncut airings once in a while. The Scifi Channel did that with Star Trek (didn't they) and The Twilight Zone? But I'd want them to go further than uncut, I'd want no advertising screen clutter too over the shows!!!
post #33 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1977 View Post

Well, it'd be nice once in a while for stations to have special uncut airings once in a while. The Scifi Channel did that with Star Trek (didn't they) and The Twilight Zone? But I'd want them to go further than uncut, I'd want no advertising screen clutter too over the shows!!!

We can all dream, but I suspect that we would just be told to buy the DVDs or BR disks.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #34 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1977 View Post

Well, it'd be nice once in a while for stations to have special uncut airings once in a while. The Scifi Channel did that with Star Trek (didn't they) and The Twilight Zone?

Yes, SciFi (a long time ago) aired every Star Trek episode (remastered in SD instead of HD to save money) with no cuts and no time compression in a special 90 minute slot padded with trivia and interviews with the actors and writers. Most memorable was Harlan Ellison still whining about how they destroyed his precious original script which was "10,000 times better" than the episode that aired. He may have used a number with more zeros.

Star Trek has been sped up in syndication since the late 80's. This is nothing new.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #35 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 775
I believe we have tapes of that SciFi channel Star Trek marathon lying around somewhere, although they don't have Hi-Fi audio, sadly.
post #36 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Yes, SciFi (a long time ago) aired every Star Trek episode (remastered in SD instead of HD to save money) with no cuts and no time compression in a special 90 minute slot padded with trivia and interviews with the actors and writers. .

Not to mention the AGONIZINGLY LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Commercial Breaks! mad.gif Yes, the interviews were interesting, but they only lasted a few minutes (Maybe ten at the most) the remaining 20 minutes was to stuff in more commercials.
post #37 of 50 Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

We can all dream, but I suspect that we would just be told to buy the DVDs or BR disks.

I would much rather spend $100 a month and $1,200 a year on DVDs and Blu-Ray discs than on pay TV. I have a bookcase full of my favorite shows uncut and screen clutter and commercial free.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #38 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This story has just gone viral. So here I am, sitting eating a bowl of salad, watching the CBS Evening News, and there it is - my youtube clip!

A quick news search suggests that WSJ ran the story and it is now everywhere - Popular Mechanics, CBS, Time, the Huffington Post, Engadget, and even Snopes.

I'm happy to have done a public service. I never would have guessed that a year and a half later that I would be watching the national news and see my youtube clip on TV.
Young C, Tack, replayrob and 1 others like this.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsvsu View Post
This story has just gone viral. So here I am, sitting eating a bowl of salad, watching the CBS Evening News, and there it is - my youtube clip!

A quick news search suggests that WSJ ran the story and it is now everywhere - Popular Mechanics, CBS, Time, the Huffington Post, Engadget, and even Snopes.

I'm happy to have done a public service. I never would have guessed that a year and a half later that I would be watching the national news and see my youtube clip on TV.
Congrats!
post #40 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsvsu View Post

Very cool!
post #41 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here's the story than ran on the CBS Evening News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fast-for...play-more-ads/
post #42 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Most people are upset about extra commercials being added when re-runs of old shows are shown. I'm bummed out about losing the original commercials. I want to see Harry von Zell selling that evaporated milk from contented cows on "Burns and Allen".
post #43 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 775
At least it's getting coverage, but I'm surprised that it surprises people. Speeding up music on the radio to fit more songs per hour has been going on for decades.
post #44 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sneals2000, thank you.

As I was reading someone who has no idea about the terminology they were using, and used the term "Telecine" to refer to adding or removing frames for time compression, I was trying to figure out how to explain to them that "Telecine" referred to a system, a chain of devices (move projector and TV camera at its simplest, film scanners later on) that converted film to a video signal. You did a marvelous job of it. As someone who has worked with various forms of Telecines since the early 70s, and has also done pure video time compression and expansion with many forms of technology (from 1" Helical Scan VTRs, and D2 VTRs, along with pitch correction gear, upto the latest Non Linear Editing Systems (Avid)), I was sort of fuming at an ignorant person spouting information that was just wrong. Thank you.

Also for the record, this time compression, pitch adjustment is nothing new. We were doing it at CBS in the late 80s when the then new CBS chairman, Larry Tisch, ordered an additional 30 second spot put into each primetime half hour.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Which is worse...
Speeding up the content 7.5% but you still get the full uncut show (hopefully).
or
Making a 1960's era show (like Star Trek TOS) that originally ran 51 min fit in today's 41 min timeslots by simply gutting 10 min of content out?

Both suck actually!

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #46 of 50 Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Which is worse...
Speeding up the content 7.5% but you still get the full uncut show (hopefully).
or
Making a 1960's era show (like Star Trek TOS) that originally ran 51 min fit in today's 41 min timeslots by simply gutting 10 min of content out?

Both suck actually!
And then people will complain about one of Encore's channels showing tv series, like Night Court and Magnum PI. They do show those at regular speeds and all footage left intact, right? If not, there's no excuse not to!
post #47 of 50 Old 02-21-2015, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Don't worry people. My friend Bob Sacammano is going to take care of this !!
post #48 of 50 Old 02-21-2015, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
They don't need the extra ads, they do it because they can. What are we going to do, cancel cable ?!! The broadcasters and content owners own the production, distribution and consumption channels, and they pass laws to make anything outside their control illegal, because in our great country 'copyright infringement' is a major 'crime', so much so that the lay public has now been conditioned to call it 'theft'.
post #49 of 50 Old 02-21-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
They don't need the extra ads, they do it because they can. What are we going to do, cancel cable ?!!
Many have, and others are trying.... exactly because of this constant diddling with the content.
Older shows that were shot before today's short 21/42min timeslots are basically butchered so badly that they're unwatchable... so why bother at that point?

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #50 of 50 Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I remember my local PBS station broadcast both original Trek and Next
Generation commercial free in the late 80's. I seem to remember that
Original Trek ran 45 minutes, thus the PBS members that were paying to see Trek commercial free were still getting time compressed content even though the local station could accommodate any length of episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming