Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 06-17-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Thankfully, Lorne Michaels announces "it's still a rebuilding season". More cast changes coming, thankfully.

This past season was really dreadful all around, and pretty much absolutely none of the male rookies performed well enough when given a sketch role to earn staying around past freshman year (in my opinion). Though much is obviously due to severely defective writing this past season (along with the loss of ALL the major male players of the past 5-7 years all at once), newcomer Sasheer Zamata never lived up to early expectations following her initial appearance. And neither did Noel Wells following her debut Lena Dunham impression in the season opening pre-filmed "Girls" parody which was so amusing, as well as the unfortunately far too occasional opportunities given her to show off her Zooey Deschanel impression.

Looks like for sure Nasim will not be back, although it's not officially official yet. But since FOX has now ordered a total of 16 episodes of new comedy "Mulaney" (in which Nasim co-stars) and since she's "got an apartment in LA", it looks like we won't be seeing her Kardashian impersonation again any time soon, if ever again.

Taram Killam cannot carry the show all by himself, and Keenan Thompson is not a "lead actor". Colin Jost is the worst thing that's happened to WU in decades. His timing and delivery is simply terribly awkward and unfunny. He's not a stand-up. He belongs back in the back room again, if anywhere.

Most striking is the HUGE difference between pre-filmed pre-written pieces (e.g. the fake commercials which are almost guaranteed HILARIOUS, as they best capitalize on the comedic skills of Kate McKinnon and Vanessa Bayer when actually given something terrific to perform in) and the live sketches, which are inevitably too long and unclever and unfunny with maybe one joke that gets done over and over again.

And please... delete Jay Pharoah. He is NOT funny, and his characters and impressions are NOT funny. A true one-trick pony, who has become very very very tiresome. time to FF when he's onscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Thankfully, Lorne Michaels announces "it's still a rebuilding season". More cast changes coming, thankfully.

This past season was really dreadful all around, and pretty much absolutely none of the male rookies performed well enough when given a sketch role to earn staying around past freshman year (in my opinion). Though much is obviously due to severely defective writing this past season (along with the loss of ALL the major male players of the past 5-7 years all at once), newcomer Sasheer Zamata never lived up to early expectations following her initial appearance. And neither did Noel Wells following her debut Lena Dunham impression in the season opening pre-filmed "Girls" parody which was so amusing, as well as the unfortunately far too occasional opportunities given her to show off her Zooey Deschanel impression.

Looks like for sure Nasim will not be back, although it's not officially official yet. But since FOX has now ordered a total of 16 episodes of new comedy "Mulaney" (in which Nasim co-stars) and since she's "got an apartment in LA", it looks like we won't be seeing her Kardashian impersonation again any time soon, if ever again.

Taram Killam cannot carry the show all by himself, and Keenan Thompson is not a "lead actor". Colin Jost is the worst thing that's happened to WU in decades. His timing and delivery is simply terribly awkward and unfunny. He's not a stand-up. He belongs back in the back room again, if anywhere.

Most striking is the HUGE difference between pre-filmed pre-written pieces (e.g. the fake commercials which are almost guaranteed HILARIOUS, as they best capitalize on the comedic skills of Kate McKinnon and Vanessa Bayer when actually given something terrific to perform in) and the live sketches, which are inevitably too long and unclever and unfunny with maybe one joke that gets done over and over again.

And please... delete Jay Pharoah. He is NOT funny, and his characters and impressions are NOT funny. A true one-trick pony, who has become very very very tiresome. time to FF when he's onscreen.
Don't agree with getting rid of Pharoah at all. He has finally been given more to do and he's shown that he can do a good job and my opinion. And he's funny. And why single out Pharoah. There are plenty of others that are worse than him. The cast needs diversity and getting Pharoah is not going to help that.

Also when is the problem with SNL going to be put on Michaels. SNL has been subpar for years with different cast members. The material on the show sucks. It's flat, dry, stale for the most part. Maybe instead of putting the blame on cast members and singling out Pharoah why don't you put it on the showrunner Michaels.

Last edited by mldardy; 06-17-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post
Also when is the problem with SNL going to be put on Michaels? SNL has been subpar for years with different cast members. The material on the show sucks. It's flat, dry, stale for the most part. Maybe instead of putting the blame on cast members and singling out Pharoah why don't you put it on the showrunner Michaels.
Bingo. Finally, somebody gets it. Loren Michaels has proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, over many years, that he simply does not have a funny bone anywhere in his body. Or else that body part was amputated after the first decade or so of the show. As vast as the talent pool must be in New York City, he has shown he has an inability to hire writers who have an ability to write sketch comedy on deadline. That in itself is a remarkable achievement.

IMO, he is the problem with SNL, and has been for years. He's been coasting on the well-worn reputation of the Belushi, Chase, Crystal, Murphy years - back when SNL was consistently funny - for decades now.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post
Don't agree with getting rid of Pharoah at all. He has finally been given more to do and he's shown that he can do a good job and my opinion. And he's funny. And why single out Pharoah. There are plenty of others that are worse than him. The cast needs diversity and getting Pharoah is not going to help that.
What he's proven is that he can't read cue cards and appear to be performing spontaneously. He phumphers what he's been given to say, which detracts significantly from the humor of what he's been given to say.

He's ok for short riffs and a few impersonations for 30 seconds. But he's not a "comedic actor" in a sketch who can do a character cleanly and consistently.

Diversity or not, I want funny. And I've tired of him long ago. Just my opinion.

(And send Aidy Bryant away as well, while we're about it. Similarly never lived up to the hype or expectations befitting any new cast member.)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
What he's proven is that he can't read cue cards and appear to be performing spontaneously. He phumphers what he's been given to say, which detracts significantly from the humor of what he's been given to say.

He's ok for short riffs and a few impersonations for 30 seconds. But he's not a "comedic actor" in a sketch who can do a character cleanly and consistently.

Diversity or not, I want funny. And I've tired of him long ago. Just my opinion.

(And send Aidy Bryant away as well, while we're about it. Similarly never lived up to the hype or expectations befitting any new cast member.)
I've got an idea. Why don't you produce SNL since you seem to have all of the answers.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Bingo. Finally, somebody gets it. Loren Michaels has proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, over many years, that he simply does not have a funny bone anywhere in his body. Or else that body part was amputated after the first decade or so of the show. As vast as the talent pool must be in New York City, he has shown he has an inability to hire writers who have an ability to write sketch comedy on deadline. That in itself is a remarkable achievement.

IMO, he is the problem with SNL, and has been for years. He's been coasting on the well-worn reputation of the Belushi, Chase, Crystal, Murphy years - back when SNL was consistently funny - for decades now.
Yes, exactly, because NONE of these people were funny or entertaining when on the show:
Fred Armisen
Dana Carvey
Jimmy Fallon
Chris Farley
Will Ferrell
Tina Fey
Will Forte
Bill Hader
Darrell Hammond
Phil Hartman
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Seth Meyers
Dennis Miller
Eddie Murphy
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Kevin Nealon
Amy Poehler
Chris Rock
Andy Samberg
Adam Sandler
Molly Shannon
Harry Shearer
Robert Smigel
David Spade
Jason Sudeikis
Kristen Wiig

Old 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
Yes, exactly, because NONE of these people were funny or entertaining when on the show:
Fred Armisen
Dana Carvey
Jimmy Fallon
Chris Farley
Will Ferrell
Tina Fey
Will Forte
Bill Hader
Darrell Hammond
Phil Hartman
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Seth Meyers
Dennis Miller
Eddie Murphy
Bill Murray
Mike Myers
Kevin Nealon
Amy Poehler
Chris Rock
Andy Samberg
Adam Sandler
Molly Shannon
Harry Shearer
Robert Smigel
David Spade
Jason Sudeikis
Kristen Wiig

You missed the point of my post. It's not the "talent" that's in question. While few of them rise to the heights of the comedic giants I mentioned, they're usually quite competent and very funny if they have funny material to perform. Often, these folks do the best they can with material that's not remotely humorous.

The whole point of the post was that 1) It's the writing staff that's been the weak point of the show in recent decades, and 2) Loren Michaels has been coasting on the reputation of the show that was forged during that first decade. In other words, the decline of SNL can be laid not at the feet of the performers, but at the feet of the guy that hired them - and those lousy writers.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The whole point of the post was that 1) It's the writing staff that's been the weak point of the show in recent decades, and 2) Loren Michaels has been coasting on the reputation of the show that was forged during that first decade. In other words, the decline of SNL can be laid not at the feet of the performers, but at the feet of the guy that hired them - and those lousy writers.

I agree about the writing, but I don’t think this season supports your contention about Michaels. If anything, I would say part of the problem this season was that Michaels and Meyers were distracted from SNL by the new incarnations of Tonight and Late Night. Frankly, I expected SNL to go off the rails this year from the time NBC announced that Michaels would have all of late night.

And it went down pretty much as I expected. The first part of the season was uneven, mostly mediocre, but with some good episodes. I liked Lady Gaga, and I thought Miley Cyrus did surprisingly well – Miley Bachman and Taran Boehner were wicked funny and easily the highlight of the season, imo. Fallon and Timberlake delivered at Christmas. Then Meyers left, and after that the show was consistently dreadful, worst I’ve seen in years.

But SNL has had bad years before and bounced back; I expect it will again.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Lorne has been a huge failure to me not because of the people he hires, but for the people he's unceremoniously fired shortly into their tenure. Casey Wilson, Michaela Watkins, and Jenny Slate are all (imo) infinitely funnier than the current cast of females outside of Kate McKinnon.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Noel Wells, John Milhiser & Nasim Pedrad Out At 'Saturday Night Live'
Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

That's in addition to Brooks Wheelan getting cut the other day.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Just to clarify...The rookies were cut. They really didn't contribute much. Nasim is leaving to go to another show.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Disappointed to be losing Nasim Pedrad on SNL, but happy for her that she's making the move to another show. She was criminally underused on SNL these past few seasons.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post
Disappointed to be losing Nasim Pedrad on SNL, but happy for her that she's making the move to another show. She was criminally underused on SNL these past few seasons.
Never understood why that happened. Aidy Bryant in every sketch doing nothing close to comedy. Nasim doing nothing.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post
Never understood why that happened. Aidy Bryant in every sketch doing nothing close to comedy. Nasim doing nothing.

Aidy Bryant was co-writer of Lets Do It In My Twin Bed which I consider to be the highlight of the season.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post
Aidy Bryant was co-writer of Lets Do It In My Twin Bed which I consider to be the highlight of the season.
She should be a writer then. She's been consistently awful as an actress. She also co-wrote on of the few funny skits on the show all of last season called Dyke and Fats.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
Good episode tonight. Kerry Washington stole the show! Great actress
Loved the Uganda model
Missed this the first go-round as I don't watch faithfully, but it is a good ep. Loved the digital-short, too.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What the show needs are new and good writers or new cast members that can also write funny stuff which is a tall order. The show also needs to get some guts that they lost last season, for instance the cutting of the Chuck Hagel sketch although I know that was NBC's doing but Loren should of fought harder for it. Anybody who remembers the early SNL shows they were quite merciless when it came to politics even with Jimmy Carter.

I do hope Cecily Strong and Killam return. Also the link did not work for me, I think this is the original interview: http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/lorn...late-night-tv/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
How could leave out Martin Short? I do not know were you get the idea Dennis Miller and Andy Samberg are funny, they certainly proved they are not after leaving the show.

Last edited by wuther; 07-21-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Don Pardo has died. He was 96.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Copy/Paste:

First 3 hosts of the upcoming season, apparently.

Bill Murray
Sarah Silverman
Chris Pratt