post #61 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

When CBS has the Super Bowl, for example, they don't put NCIS on after it... NCIS is their big draw, it doesn't need a Super-boost... I tend to think networks with the Super Bowl put shows they want to give a ratings boost to in the after-Super-Bowl spot.

Last time Fox has the Super Bowl, they put Glee up after it. At the time, Glee was probably the biggest profile show that Fox had.

26 million viewers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/07/glee-super-bowl-ratings-are-in/

I'd say that's actually pretty impressive, considering the cross-section of Glee viewers doesn't intersect with football fans by very much, I'd imagine. I know that it was watched at my house that year, but only by the wives/girlfriends who attended my Super Bowl party, while all the guys went outside to keep drinking beer.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
They tried promoting it during last Sunday's Fox NFL Sunday when Riggle did his picks segment.

By the way, Riggle took the golden sombrero, again (0-4).
post #63 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Riggle's been a disappointment over Caliendo. But then again, I'm not a fan of Fox's pre-game show, preferring CBS (or not watching pre-game at all).

post #64 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Last time Fox has the Super Bowl, they put Glee up after it. At the time, Glee was probably the biggest profile show that Fox had.

26 million viewers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/07/glee-super-bowl-ratings-are-in/

I'd say that's actually pretty impressive, considering the cross-section of Glee viewers doesn't intersect with football fans by very much, I'd imagine. I know that it was watched at my house that year, but only by the wives/girlfriends who attended my Super Bowl party, while all the guys went outside to keep drinking beer.

Watching Paint Dry after the Super Bowl would do good ratings, though... that's the point. They put a show that isn't doing great after the Super Bowl for a boost. I watch Glee too... so I'm not knocking Glee as a show... but I'm sure it does nothing close to 26 million viewers in its normal timeslot.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #65 of 89 Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 247
It normally gets 5 million viewers in its recent seasons. Back then it was getting 11 million, so 26 was still more than double its usual viewership. There wasn't any boost afterwards, either.
post #66 of 89 Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm enjoying Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it is well received by critics, and it's just unfortunately not getting the ratings that it should be getting. It's a pleasant surprise, and I'll keep watching it until it's cancelled.

I am not watching Dads, New Girl, or Mindy. None appeal to me whatsoever.

post #67 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I'm still watching this but I can't see any reason why it won two Golden Globes. It's still just the same as when it started - passably entertaining - and hasn't done anything particularly funny since. I don't even think Samberg is the best performer on the show.

post #68 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Because Golden Globes voters - the foreign press - have heard of Andy Samberg. They know he used to be on that sketch comedy show originating in New York. Plus, they've heard of New York.
post #69 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I don't find this show funny in any way what so ever.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #70 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'm still watching this but I can't see any reason why it won two Golden Globes. It's still just the same as when it started - passably entertaining - and hasn't done anything particularly funny since. I don't even think Samberg is the best performer on the show.

+1

I was shocked it won, I watched it for several episodes but gave up, it's "ok" but LOTS of better shows out there.

post #71 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Because Golden Globes voters - the foreign press - have heard of Andy Samberg. They know he used to be on that sketch comedy show originating in New York. Plus, they've heard of New York.

Exactly. The show is ok, nothing great. But the same reason they have 2 wins is the same same reason Michael J. Fox was even nominated for MJF show: the Hollywood Foreign Press is a big joke. Note that the best movie-comedy category didn't even have any true comedies (okay, you can argue Wolf of Wall Street was a black comedy, but that's it)!

On Entertainment Weekly Radio on Sirius XM, before the GG's, they said Brooklyn 99 might win (for both of its noms) because the Foreign Press "likes to reward new shows." And the Nominees were The Big Bang Theory; Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Girls; Modern Family; Parks and Recreation. Seems like Foreign Press is all about "Buzz" because the last season of Girls is widely accepted as not being good (and not funny), and, frankly, in terms of HBO comedies, the final season of Eastbound & Down that aired in the fall was hilarious, but since that show stars Danny McBride and not Michael J. Fox or Ted Danson, no GG love.

The worst part of this is B99 is the post-SB show, and there will be so much hype for the "Gloden Globe Winning" series that follows the SB.
post #72 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I thought the last couple of episodes showed a marked improvement in laughs per minute. They seem to be rounded out what each character brings to the table. I normally do not put much stock in award shows Modern Family keeps winning awards hands over fist and I have yet to find the funny in that show.
post #73 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49

Doesn't surprise me that much, after all the French absolutely love Jerry Lewis. :confused: 

post #74 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I was shocked it won, I watched it for several episodes but gave up, it's "ok" but LOTS of better shows out there.

If you haven't seen all the episodes, how can you judge the show?

post #75 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While this is a fair question, many people like me gave up, we have it already pegged as it sucks. Once people do that, its very hard to go back and give it another chance.

post #76 of 89 Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I thought the last couple of episodes showed a marked improvement in laughs per minute. They seem to be rounded out what each character brings to the table. I normally do not put much stock in award shows Modern Family keeps winning awards hands over fist and I have yet to find the funny in that show.

Yeah. No laugh track to tell you when to laugh. Poor thing. A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.
post #77 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Yeah. No laugh track to tell you when to laugh. Poor thing. A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.

These are television shows if some one does not like them it is OK. I did not insult your family I just stated my preference.
post #78 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.
You think that "Modern Family" has a character named Jay played by an actor named Neil Pritchett?  Are you thinking of the character Jay Pritchett, portrayed by actor Ed O'Neill?
post #79 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

Quote:

While this is a fair question, many people like me gave up, we have it already pegged as it sucks. Once people do that, its very hard to go back and give it another chance.

Yes thats the boat I was in. I watched it for several shows(maybe 6??) which is more than a one and done or  the few that I watch a couple and decide no, but to me it just didn't seem like it was going anywhere. Now I know a show like P&R(which I've watched since day one) started out slow and many people bailed before it got real good but I personally didn't think B99 was going to turn around. Now I guess if the general consensus is it's really turned around I might revisit it but I only have so much time to watch TV and if after 6 episodes it just doesn't jell I'll probably not return.

To those of you who like it, good for you, winning any award(even the GG) has to be good for the show and how long it might stick around :) 

post #80 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

+1

I pretty much had the same thought. I like it a bit more than "ok" but can't believe that this was the GG winner and especially Andy Samberg winning the individual award. His character is funny but jeez.
I don't know about some other of the shows but Trophy Wife is better than B99 and I wouldn't give any GG to that show other than individual to the cast which is great. I don't watch P&R nor Modern Family so I don't know how they relate.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #81 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Modern Family is funny at times, but really from the get go has been hit or miss. Some are VERY funny, some are meh, some just don't make me laugh.

post #82 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Quote:

A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.
You think that "Modern Family" has a character named Jay played by an actor named Neil Pritchett?  Are you thinking of the character Jay Pritchett, portrayed by actor Ed O'Neill?

Sorry. It was late.
post #83 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I think the show has been consistently really good. Not great yet, but good. And bonus points for not having a laugh track.
post #84 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had more laughs watching Dad's then B99, that says something, just not sure what. eek.gif

post #85 of 89 Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

I have had more laughs watching Dad's then B99, that says something, just not sure what. eek.gif

com·e·dy [kom-i-dee]

noun, plural com·e·dies.

1. a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.

2. that branch of the drama which concerns itself with this form of composition.

Despite those in this forum who believe the show with the most "laughs per minute" is the best comedy, that is luckily not the case. If I want maximum laughs per minute, I'll go to the local comedy club and catch an act. Subtle TV comedy, like "Modern Family" and "Brooklyn 9-9" is comedy at it's best, IMO.

"I'm fine, he's only one. I watched him pee into his own face and smile. - Jay Pritchett
post #86 of 89 Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Well that was the end if the first season. It's definitely improved so I'll be back next year. The show reined in some of the characters so Chelsea Peretti isn't always acting like she's stoned and Joe Lo Truglio isn't just a slapstick machine and sorry loser, although they almost sent him back there in this episode. Andre Braugher had some funny occasions to break out of his stone faced role too.

Highlight of the season finale was Stephanie Beatriz trying not to laugh at Samberg's exit.

post #87 of 89 Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Highlight of the season finale was Stephanie Beatriz trying not to laugh at Samberg's exit.

I don't think it was accidental, as I interpreted it as an in-character reaction. Rosa was enjoying Jake's antics in the privacy of the office, but as soon as Jake opened the door, she had to go back to being stone faced for the sake of deceiving the rest of the untrustworthy people at the precinct. Ever since the episode where Amy failed to get a picture of Rosa smiling, Beatriz has been grinning at various jokes (the darker the better), whereas she never cracked a smile in the early episodes. I'm guessing Beatriz got told to start doing that when the director enjoyed the effect in the camera episode, so her character has been toned down a bit, too.
post #88 of 89 Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the rest of this thread, but I am loving this show. I was an early supporter and I think it was well deserving of the Emmy it got this season. Looking forward to it's return!

post #89 of 89 Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Didn't think I'd like the show, but it semi-hooked me early on and by mid-season I was invested. The highlight of the final episode to me was the slo-mo musical costume change that suddenly stops playing the music. It's one of those idiotic moments that good comedies have me hitting the back button on my remote over and over until my wife threatens to kill me. It also doesn't hurt the show that Andre is an amazing actor.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page