"Brooklyn Nine-Nine" on Fox HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 89 Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310

From Emmy Award-winning writer/producers Dan Goor and Michael Schur (“Parks and Recreation”), and starring Emmy Award winners Andy Samberg (“Saturday Night Live”) and Andre Braugher (“Men of a Certain Age,” “Homicide: Life on the Street”), BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a new single-camera ensemble comedy about what happens when a talented, but carefree, detective and his diverse group of colleagues get a new captain with a lot to prove.

Detective JAKE PERALTA (Samberg) is gifted enough that he's never had to work too hard or follow the rules too closely. Perhaps because he has the best arrest record among his colleagues, he's been enabled – if not indulged – throughout his entire career. That is, until the precinct gets a new commanding officer, Captain RAY HOLT (Braugher).

Captain Holt believes in rules and regulations, two concepts that have long been overlooked by the detectives in the 99th precinct. Jake's colleagues are a brilliant and capable bunch, but lack a certain level of discipline and leadership. They compete with each other, annoy each other, gossip and flirt, but at the end of the day, they have each other's backs.

As the precinct's honorary straight arrow, Detective AMY SANTIAGO (Melissa Fumero, “One Life to Live,” “Gossip Girl”) is thrilled with the leadership change. Having grown up with seven brothers, Amy is extremely competitive…about everything. She is hell-bent on collaring more criminals than Jake, and she's keenly aware of how many arrests she needs to close the gap. Holt's next-in-command is Sergeant TERRY JEFFORDS (Terry Crews, “Bridesmaids,” “Everybody Hates Chris”), a linebacker of a man who's lost his nerve after his wife had twin baby girls – Cagney and Lacey – and he lives in fear of not seeing them grow up.

Also working cases in Brooklyn's 99th is Detective CHARLES BOYLE (Joe Lo Truglio, “Wreck-It Ralph,” “Superbad”), who idolizes Jake and is the precinct's workhorse; he's not brilliant, he's not physically gifted, but he tries harder than anyone else. Charles pines for the vocally opinionated Detective ROSA DIAZ (Stephanie Beatriz, “Modern Family,” “The Closer”), with whom he stands no chance at all. Rosa is simultaneously tough, sexy and scary as hell. Meddling in everyone's affairs is GINA LINETTI (Chelsea Peretti, “Parks and Recreation,” “Kroll Show”), the eccentric and self-absorbed civilian office manager.

Together, they interrogate suspects, arrest perps and solve murders. But, ultimately, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a workplace comedy that's not really about the job. It's about the men and women behind the badge – singing karaoke, grabbing a beer, and dabbling in each other's personal lives– all while protecting the fine people of Brooklyn.

BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is produced by Universal Television, 3 Arts Entertainment and Fremulon. The series is created and written by Dan Goor (“Parks and Recreation,” “Late Night with Conan O'Brien”) and Michael Schur (“Parks and Recreation,” “The Office”). The series is executive-produced by Goor, Schur and David Miner (“30 Rock”). The pilot was directed by the team of Phil Lord and Chris Miller (“21 Jump Street,” “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”).

This definitely has a Parks and Rec vibe, but I got a few good laughs out of the pilot thanks to the amusing flashbacks with Terry Crews and Andre Braugher. It has some amusing visual gags and what seems to be a nice line in referential humor so it could become more goofy and inventive than a run-of-the-mill sitcom. The problem with police/detective sitcoms has always been trying to force a procedural element into 20 minutes, which always leads to repetitive situations and quick cancellation. If this show concentrates on the cops and less on the crimes then it might make it more than one season. Or even to the end of a season.

Premiere: Yesterday! Repeated Thurs 9/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Surprised there wasn't a thread. Watched this last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Samberg did a good job playing a muted version of his typical slapstick self, and Andre Braugher is clearly the standout character.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #3 of 89 Old 09-18-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Given the life expectancy of a sitcom and the fact they are mostly the same thing week after week, it's not really worth making a lot of threads. I'm expecting this to get canned so I considered not bothering. As I said though it I thought it had some sparks of invention that might make it stand out from the pack and make it worth commenting on if it survives.

post #4 of 89 Old 09-18-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
All the funny parts were already in the promotion for it. Maybe it will be better next week, I just found it meh.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #5 of 89 Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
My wife and I both thought it funny. Dads on the other hand didn't make it past the first minute.
post #6 of 89 Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Regretfully didn't laugh once. Will definitely give it another shot though as it really seems that it could be something great but missed the mark for me. I mean, really, the guy is so dumb he keeps hitting his head on the counter bending over, really? Someone can be that dumb to do it over and over but also able to be a detective? Just not my kind of humor.

post #7 of 89 Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not a fan of Joe Lo Truglio either, so I could do without his character unless they tone down the slapstick.

post #8 of 89 Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Had no interest in it until a lot of the review sites reviewed it highly. First ep was amusing but not hilarious. Probably because I saw most of the funny bits during ads. Definitely worth a spot on my DVR schedule though along with New Girl and Mindy. Not a bad comedy block for Fox.
post #9 of 89 Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 99
My wife and I liked it. Just have to see where it goes from here. Anything with Andre Braugher is worth giving a shot.
post #10 of 89 Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't laugh once and, despite the beauty of the Detective sidekick, I won't be back.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #11 of 89 Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I haven't seen the show. What are they trying to do, an updated version of "Barney Miller"? (which definitely had its moments)
post #12 of 89 Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I haven't seen the show. What are they trying to do, an updated version of "Barney Miller"? (which definitely had its moments)

They are trying to be funny and failing.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #13 of 89 Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Yeah, pretty much that's it; wife and I both liked it ... keeping the season pass.

Bill
post #14 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Pixelated penis graffiti police car made me laugh and I always enjoy Terry Crews over-reacting but the admin girl was so annoying this week it almost made me rethink watching any other episodes.

post #15 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Another decent episode, I'm in for a Season Pass for now smile.gif
Always nice to have a 30 minute comedy to squeeze in when we don't have time for a 1hr drama. Can't say as if I've cared for most new offerings this season, especially on ABC wink.gif
post #16 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I only got a half of a chuckle at the end of Tuesday's episode. Its not funny at all. The only reason I tuned in was because of Andy Samberg. I guess I'll stick to watching SNL.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #17 of 89 Old 09-27-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

2nd episode was OK. Not really laugh-out-loud funny yet. Still going to keep recording it. Mindy and New Girl are hilarious though.
post #18 of 89 Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The previews didn't give me much hope for this show, but the first two episodes have been better than I expected. Not gut busting laughter inducing, but worth giving the season a shot.
post #19 of 89 Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

The previews didn't give me much hope for this show, but the first two episodes have been better than I expected. Not gut busting laughter inducing, but worth giving the season a shot.

I couldn't disagree more. After the second show my wife and I decided we wouldn't watch the third.

SMK
post #20 of 89 Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I did laugh out loud once. The About The Author section that Andy put on the back of his police report had a hilarious picture.
post #21 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Three and out for me.
post #22 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Three and out for me.
I was just thinking the same thing smile.gif
Last episode was iffy at best, the first two seemed good but not the last one. I may or may not give it another week but I understand your thoughts.
post #23 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Three and out for me.

Me too. Tried again, no laughs. Bummer, had a lot of potential.

post #24 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Pretty good episode, especially the first few minutes.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #25 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It seems to boil down to "I like/dislike Andy Samberg's brand of humor."  I don't know how much of the writing he does but any scene involving Jake gets the Samberg treatment, and it soaks through to most of the scenes without him.  If the camera were suddenly to switch back to him with Justin Timberlake alongside and both with beards and sunglasses, it wouldn't be at all incongruous.

It's also a little painful to watch Terry Crews wasted on a buffoon character and Andre Braugher on a one-note martinet, plus Chelsea Peretti doesn't seem to be transitioning well from standup to script.  Maybe Gina Linetti just is not a good fit for her, or maybe Gina is just a badly drawn character who would embarrass any performer.
post #26 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I thought this was easily the best episode so far. I thought the scene with the youth group was really good. Even the toilet exploding hit at just the right time for a laugh.
post #27 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

It's also a little painful to watch Terry Crews wasted on a buffoon character and Andre Braugher on a one-note martinet, plus Chelsea Peretti doesn't seem to be transitioning well from standup to script.  Maybe Gina Linetti just is not a good fit for her, or maybe Gina is just a badly drawn character who would embarrass any performer.

Terry Crews is being Terry Crews. His comedy persona is always a gentle, goofy giant. He likes playing against his body type and it works for him.

Gina is a terrible character and easily tops my list of things that are wrong with this show, but the TV season so far has been such slim pickings I might as well see how long I can ride this out before the show fixes her or I get tired of her.

post #28 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The first episode was so great. Been disappointed since.

Kaboom.
post #29 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Of his most recent performances, I liked Andre best when he was commanding a submarine...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #30 of 89 Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Of his most recent performances, I liked Andre best when he was commanding a submarine...

I decided to check this out solely because of Andre Braugher, and he wasn't much of a draw. It's kind of sad that his Marcus Chaplain and Ray Holt aren't that different.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page