The Michael J. Fox show --NBC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Still in sampling mode, tuned into both episodes, not immediately grabbed by the show. Michael was hard to understand at times which made some of the jokes hard to follow. Interesting amalgam of characters, none really fresh, but some possibilities. I'll give it one or two more outings before I call it, but I'm on the fence with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm not sure about it myself. Not really drawn to any of the characters at this point. Seems like a show about Michael J. Fox's life except with a fake job and a fake family.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our comment last night was "Would we watch this show if we weren't big fans of MJF?" I think the answer is no. We watched 2 other stupid show premiere's this season. This wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. One more episode.

It can't last - MJF's comedic timing isn't there & the show is all about his Parkinson's. Yeah, BTTF is still popular, but a 25 year old doesn't bridge BTTF to this show. Only those of us 40+ do. And half of those 40+ with Alzheimers or Parkinsons in their families probably doesn't find the show laugh-out-loud funny and those of us without find it chuckle-worthy, but not much more.

If it were a comdey and one of the characters had parkinsons, that would be one thing. This is a comedy *about* parkinsons. I watch Modern Family, a hilarious comedy *with* a gay couple because it's funny; I would not watch Modern Family if the entire show revolved around Mitch & Cam *being* gay. The premiere, which could have been about gay marriage, was about proposals and the hilarity of how it was going to happen.

We'll watch episode #2 tonight on the DVR and whatever they throw at us next week, but that very well may be all we catch before pressing the red remove button on the DVR.
post #4 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In episode 2, wasn't Kelly the upstairs neighbor, Tracy Pollian? There is no credit in IMDB and cast didn't roll on web video.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I watched the first two episodes and found enough stuff in them to get me to tune in next week and see where it goes from here.

As someone who usually doesn't watch sitcoms due to all the recycling of jokes from previous sitcoms, I'm not willing to commit to something I'm not finding funny.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 331
This felt like someone enjoyed the Larry vs Michael episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and then dropped in the family from The Middle.

It was good to see Wendell Pierce again (albeit playing the same guy he always does) but apart from a couple of amusing moments it seemed to follow the trend this new season is plagued by; competent but completely lacking in originality.

post #7 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post

In episode 2, wasn't Kelly the upstairs neighbor, Tracy Pollian? There is no credit in IMDB and cast didn't roll on web video.

Yes, the upstairs neighbor was his real life wife Tracy Pollan.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-27-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found episode 2 somewhat annoying. We don't know enough about "Mike" to judge if his downright nasty treatment of his boss and neighbor was in or out of character.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I found episode 2 somewhat annoying. We don't know enough about "Mike" to judge if his downright nasty treatment of his boss and neighbor was in or out of character.

Exactly what I was thinking myself. It seems like as if the writers wrote this material expecting we would "get" what is going on right away without really giving us much time to established the characters on the show. With that said I'm giving this a few more episodes to see if it gets better. Then again I did give Parks & Rec far more time to develop but I was a bit more forgiving since season 1 was a rush job (and that in itself was decent but nowhere near as great as the show would become).

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #10 of 25 Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittCaleb View Post

Yeah, BTTF is still popular, but a 25 year old doesn't bridge BTTF to this show.
To go by the publicity I saw, they aren't expected to bridge "Back to the Future" (which is what I think PittCaleb means) to it, and neither are we older folks.  They're expected to bridge "Spin City" to it.  Most of Fox's film career predates "Spin City"; few twentysomethings will know films like "Bright Lights, Big City" or "The Secret of My Success," and Fox has changed too much since the "Back to the Future" franchise and "Family Ties."

If the spots for it hint at "Family Ties" more than "Spin City," it's only because NBC would rather stir up memories of an NBC series than of one that ran on ABC.

(Peeve from "Bright Lights, Big City": `precipitate´ [as an adjective] means "too soon" [lacking sufficient advance consideration] and `precipitous´ means "too fast" [proceeding out of control].  They are not interchangeable.)
post #11 of 25 Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
That said the first two episodes just weren't all that funny.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Liked: 22
I had high hopes waiting for the show. I don't watch very many TV shows regularly. The first two episodes met the minimum bar in my opinion. I laughed a couple times which rarely happens with current TV shows. The show still has not found itself and wonders a bit. But that is normal for pilots. I expect it to improve. I had no problem understanding MJF at any time and pretty much quickly forgot about his Parkinson's except when the plot brought it up, which was a lot.

What I liked: The high energy and entertaining Eve Henry (high school daughter) character working on the movie project. Also her slacker brother trying to build his own search engine. Both great actors.

What I didn't like: The Aunt character, Leigh. I actually fast forwarded through a couple of her scenes like the single mother park bench which just didn't work at all for me. Also, I'm not sold yet on the wife, but didn't dislike her, just kind of meh. The wife needs to get some chemistry with MJF if this show has any chance to survive. Unless it moves to more newsroom work plot and less of a family story.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-03-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well this show gets my vote for most improved.

Tonight's outing was a big change from the first two episodes, there might be hope for it yet. Very little Parkinson's focus, which was a big step in the right direction, and the sister was not as annoying. It actually felt like a good lead in to Parenthood. Not sure about the dialog to the camera ala Modern Family, but I can live with it. The show stays on my record list.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anne Heche is now featured on this show? eek.gif

She's a beauty
post #15 of 25 Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, almost a month and now new comments? I guess the show is dying. I enjoyed tonight's episode things seem to be jelling, perhaps too late. Mike has seemed to bounce around from a decent guy to an angry guy to a snarky guy, his character only works when is a decent guy.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
We are trying to like it, but it's hard. Every time a commercial break comes my wife keeps saying "this is a bad show." If it wasn't for the fact that NBC green lighted a full season, I think they would have canned it by now. I don't see this show getting a second season.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Wow, almost a month and now new comments? I guess the show is dying. I enjoyed tonight's episode things seem to be jelling, perhaps too late. Mike has seemed to bounce around from a decent guy to an angry guy to a snarky guy, his character only works when is a decent guy.
Well, I ended up giving up on it almost a month ago, so there's one less person available to comment.

I really wanted to like this show because I really like MJF.

Honestly, I almost felt a bit guilty not liking it because of the Parkinsons focus. Quitting on it felt on par with trying to avoid watching commercials for Saint Judes or the Humaine Society.

The thing is, it wasn't the Parkinsons focus that killed it for me. It was the lack of funny jokes and a supporting cast I simply didn't like at all.
post #18 of 25 Old 11-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It seems like most comments I read about this show begin with "I really wanted to like it but...". I do like the show and am still watching, but I come away from just about every episode feeling like it could be better. I'm hoping they can gather some steam as the season progresses so it can reach it's potential.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I like Michael, but this show is piling up on my DVR and I never want to watch it. I would much rather see him as a regular on The Good Wife with the character he has there... than have this show.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #20 of 25 Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Last night was the last one for me and my wife. The show is just not that funny and Fox is the weak link. Plus we find the Parkinsons jokes offensive. My father in law died from complications from Parkinsons when he lost his ability to swallow. It's not something to joke about.
post #21 of 25 Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are there any strong links?
post #22 of 25 Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Last night was the last one for me and my wife. The show is just not that funny and Fox is the weak link. Plus we find the Parkinsons jokes offensive. My father in law died from complications from Parkinsons when he lost his ability to swallow. It's not something to joke about.

I've watched all the episodes and I never took the Parkinson's comments as a joke per say. I took it as simply acknowledging a fact of life and making the best of it. Are we supposed to sweep things under the carpet because it makes some people uncomfortable? This show is quite mild in it's allusions to Parkinson's, compared to something like The Big C. I'm sorry for your Parkinson's related loss, but i think getting the facts and perhaps making a little light comedy about the disease helps more than hurts. That said perhaps the show isn't for you and you are wise to drop it.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
New season (or new episodes) are airing these days. This thread isn't active at all tongue.gif
post #24 of 25 Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 101
We've decided to stop watching this show, but not without hesitation. We like Michael J. Fox, we like the other actors, we think the kids are really funny, and we really want to like the show. Unfortunately, every week we come away wishing it was better. We don't think it's bad, just disappointing. So much unrealized potential. I truly hope it finds its way, gets renewed, and we can pick it up again at a later time. But for now, we have decided to move on.

Life is just too short to spend time watching something that delivers disappointment instead of enjoyment. confused.gif

BTW, I will continue to check this thread to see if the show is improving. I'm certainly not against giving it another shot if others think it gets better.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have come to enjoy the show, it's improved quite a bit from the opening few episodes. Kind of settling into a groove, not a barn burner of a show but I hope it gets a pick up.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page