post #91 of 188 Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The OPS question though was:
"Here's your chance to predict which one gets the ax first."

It doesnt ask what will be 2nd 3rd etc. so essentially its already over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 188 Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

This thread is going off topic. It isn't the "Shows I've liked so far this season thread" it's "Shows that might be cancelled".
Originally, yes.  Is the admixture of the two causing enough of a problem that a separate "New fall 2013 series you've tried but already stopped watching" thread would be a good idea?

Already exists: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490099/fall-2013-viewing-what-caught-your-interest

post #93 of 188 Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I don't think its the writers. There are a LOT of good scripts out there that never get produced. You need to blame the development people at the studios. I see three major reasons why broadcast TV is so bad.

1) The people who are the gatekeepers, who decide which scripts get moved up the chain to the execs, are apparently all kids in their 20s. Whenever a development person goes to set during the filming of a pilot, they look like kids who just rolled out of bed from their sorority or fraternity. Half the time, I think they are interns who should be getting people coffee, until they are introduced as "Meet Joe from (fill in studio name here)" They simply haven't had enough life experience to learn good story telling from bad. They also haven't lived long enough to see what formats have been done a million times before that audiences might be bored with.

2) You'd be surprised at the differences between the original script for a pilot, and the script that actually gets on the air. And all the people in the process who had an opportunity to give the writer "notes" for "improving" the script. So the writers have to pick their battles. Some 'notes' they can deflect, but when the guys signing your paycheck keep asking you to make changes, you have no recourse but to accommodate some of them, if you still want to keep working. Even if the suggestions are outright stupid.

3) Writers don't have control of the final edit of a show, particularly a pilot. Remember that the cut for any TV show goes like this: The editor gets his/her cut, then the director, then the producers, then the studio gives notes, then the network. All along the way, other people are having their input about what makes the show funny or dramatic. And again, sometimes the people empowered by the studios and networks to give notes on the edit are MBAs with zero experience in story telling. And pilots have even more problems. They get shown to test audiences. And then the marketing dweebs who question the test audiences also get input about what the final show should be.

The end result is watered down pablum that often is only a shadow of the original concept.

One of the reasons old TV shows seemed to have better writing is that they had less interference from non creative types. The writers had a lot more control of their product. And the development people and network execs were story tellers, not just MBAs and glorified accountants. And the reason why cable nets like HBO seem to have better programming is that they are still run that way.

On the subject of Sleepy Hollow, we can take it off the list of potential cancellations. It just got picked up for a second season. Good for them.
If anyone wants to see an example of the above in action, I recommend seeing the movie "The TV Set".

The process today is far different than the days of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" when the entire first season was written by Carl Reiner while on vacation at the beach before the pilot was even shot.
post #94 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

If anyone wants to see an example of the above in action, I recommend seeing the movie "The TV Set".

The process today is far different than the days of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" when the entire first season was written by Carl Reiner while on vacation at the beach before the pilot was even shot.

Know this is off topic, but Carl Reiner was on Bill Maher's show last Friday and spoke about the origin of the Dick Van Dyke show. Those that have HBO can watch Real Time on Demand or find a re-run this week.
post #95 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
thanks fopa. i've seen carl talk many times on the origins of the dick van dyke show but it's a story of which i never tire.

back on topic, i say we are men will be the next show canceled.
post #96 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. down from 3.3 to 2.8 (but second in its time slot.)
Dads matched last week's 1.4.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine up from 1.4 to 1.5.
The Originals down from Thursday's 1.0 debut to .9.

Dads will be cancelled. Brooklyn might survive with a better lead-in. S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Originals may hold up well enough to get a second season.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #97 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Don't forget Hostages, also dropped to 1.2, I guess the "magic number" is below 1.0 and the plug is pulled?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #98 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. down from 3.3 to 2.8 (but second in its time slot.)
Dads matched last week's 1.4.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine up from 1.4 to 1.5.
The Originals down from Thursday's 1.0 debut to .9.

Dads will be cancelled. Brooklyn might survive with a better lead-in. S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Originals may hold up well enough to get a second season.
Of those the only one I'm still giving a chance(watching) is Brooklyn Nine-Nine and even thats on the bubble for me.
Also given up on Hostages, just too unbelievable IMO.
post #99 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 135
We Are Men got the ax.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #100 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 05:23 PM

what do i win??!! biggrin.gif
post #101 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Don't forget Hostages, also dropped to 1.2, I guess the "magic number" is below 1.0 and the plug is pulled?

It's not that simple. There are numerous variables that come into play:

- How much of that rating is in the most desirable demo. If the majority of the viewers are in that prime demo, they might let the show ride a bit longer to see if it picks up. If the bulk of the audience is retired, the show might never live to get down anywhere near a 1.0.

- How expensive is the show? Cheap shows can get a longer reprieve from the ax if they cost very little to produce. In other words, if it makes money, it might stay on despite the low ratings. If you're Terra Nova, you get bumped earlier since you're costing the network money every week you remain in production.

- What is the show up against? What is the lead-in? Perhaps simply moving the show might change its fortunes.

- Does the show have a lot of critical acclaim that could get it some Emmy love? Award winning shows have longer exit paths than ones that aren't.

- Is there a very loyal following that will create a steady weekly viewership, even on Friday? In that case, it gets moved to Friday so it's out of the way of something else, but keeps the mail room from being buried by nuts, hot sause or other things fans send in to express their love for a show.

- Does someone with some pull at the network really like the show? A certain network executive's wife really like M*A*S*H, which was going to be on the chopping block after season one. She convinced her husband to give it another chance and the rest is history. In fact, the show lasted longer than the war it took place in.

- Is the show on the CW? If so, a show running at a .7 might still remain on the air.
post #102 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Im curious, does anyone else think the "pairing" of comedies this season, particularly on CBS and NBC, is a little odd? What I mean is, putting a single camera comedy in the middle of a bunch of multi-camera/laugh track comedies (see The Crazy Ones and We Are Men) or vice versa (Sean Saves The World). These two different formats tend to draw two different types of audiences...I can imagine the crossover is limited. It just seems you would want to keep the audience for that entire 2 hour comedy block, and that scheduling doesnt seem to lend to it).
post #103 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

Im curious, does anyone else think the "pairing" of comedies this season, particularly on CBS and NBC, is a little odd? What I mean is, putting a single camera comedy in the middle of a bunch of multi-camera/laugh track comedies (see The Crazy Ones and We Are Men) or vice versa (Sean Saves The World). These two different formats tend to draw two different types of audiences...I can imagine the crossover is limited. It just seems you would want to keep the audience for that entire 2 hour comedy block, and that scheduling doesnt seem to lend to it).
To be honest, I haven't noticed since I DVR everything.

I don't even know when half the shows I watch are even on each week. They just kind of appear in my DVR as if elves put them there.

Regarding laugh tracks....I almost wish the Michael J Fox show had one. It might be easier to figure out what the writers thought was funny. I couldn't figure it out, so i canned it this last episode.

I wish they had stuck with a plotline that put him mostly at work and ditched the family.
post #104 of 188 Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

CBS audiences are allergic to single camera sitcoms so I'm surprised Crazy Ones still exists. Without the Robin Williams factor I expect that would have gone the way of Men. If Dads was on CBS I imagine it would be a minor hit. Especially with it being a very conventional show. How I Met Your Mother is the odd duck in all this since it might use multi-camera but it's unconventional and breaks all kind of sitcom rules. If that was shot as a single camera I have no doubt it would have been cancelled on CBS many years ago and would have tanked on NBC as a multi-cam.

This season seems very schizophrenic as each network is trying to pull portions of audiences from the other, with shows that their existing audiences don't really go for and slotted into awkward segments of the schedules.

In cancellation talk I just saw a trailer for Dracula. Even with NBC being desperately generous I'll give that five episodes max.

post #105 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I guess not even Emmy and Golden Globe winner Tony Shalhoub couldn't save the show, maybe they needed 3 more of him...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #106 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I may be the Typhoid Mary of cancellations as I've watched zero of these new shows mentioned as endangered.
post #107 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycarole View Post

what do i win??!! biggrin.gif
A boxed DVD set of the entire aired series of "We are Men." enjoy
post #108 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I knew WAM was in trouble when they contacted me, last week, offering interviews with everyone BUT Tony. New shows with B-list stars are usually offered up before the premiere. That's standard. If a show is led by what they consider a BIG star, I never get offered an interview with anybody on the show unless it's post-premiere and they're worried about it.

Another indicator is swag. The more they're worried, the more stuff we get. I have enough "Terra Nova" swag to open a gift shop. Latest thing they sent was a miniature replica of an arcade video game unit. You slip your iPhone inside it and the buttons and joystick will work with the included "classic" games. The show: "The Goldbergs." Everyone on the airstaff got one, so they're REALLY worried.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #109 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

We Are Men got the ax.
No surprise.  According to an article quoted in the Hot off the Press thread, CBS is moving "2 Broke Girls" to 8:30 ET and "Mike and Molly" in at 9 PM ET, with reruns of "The Big Bang Theory" at 9 EDT until "Mike and Molly" returns November 4; "Mom" stays put at 9:30 ET.

We fans of network sitcoms have seen Shalhoub, O'Connell, and Penn in similar performances on "Stark Raving Mad," "Carpoolers," and "How I Met Your Mother," and from the start I expected "We Are Men" to go the way of "Carpoolers."  It must have taken the carpool lane, because it got there sooner.
post #110 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

I knew WAM was in trouble when they contacted me, last week, offering interviews with everyone BUT Tony. New shows with B-list stars are usually offered up before the premiere. That's standard. If a show is led by what they consider a BIG star, I never get offered an interview with anybody on the show unless it's post-premiere and they're worried about it.

Another indicator is swag. The more they're worried, the more stuff we get. I have enough "Terra Nova" swag to open a gift shop. Latest thing they sent was a miniature replica of an arcade video game unit. You slip your iPhone inside it and the buttons and joystick will work with the included "classic" games. The show: "The Goldbergs." Everyone on the airstaff got one, so they're REALLY worried.

Ha! Thanks for that "how the sausage is made" look at the industry. It's like they have a formula they've developed over the years - when plan A fails, go to plan B. When plan B fails, go to C, and so on. Finally, they run out of options. Ship it out; ship a new show in. Wash, rinse, repeat. biggrin.gif
DrDon likes this.
post #111 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My favorite is when they obviously had to force the stars into doing the interviews. They didn't want to get up, they didn't want to do the interviews and they make it blatantly obvious they're being inconvenienced. Of course, those interviews suck so bad they never air, but it's always a sure sign the show's headed to the heap.

Back on topic..
Wonder what's next? I'm guessing "Hostages." Though I've a feeling it may get moved rather than canceled.

post #112 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I have enough "Terra Nova" swag to open a gift shop.

I'll take whatever you don't want, so that I can put the stuff inside my Terra Nova backpack. biggrin.gif

And no, I won't be selling the swag on e-bay.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #113 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I'll take whatever you don't want, so that I can put the stuff inside my Terra Nova backpack. biggrin.gif

And no, I won't be selling the swag on e-bay.
Actually, most of the stuff I get goes into charity auctions. We have a steady stream of listeners who use the stuff to raise money for everything from volunteer firefighter equipment to hospital bills for kids with devastating diseases. Whenever anyone comes calling, I grab up some autographed photos of country stars, station t-shirts and TV show swag. I only keep hats (They're usually really cheap and I go through those doing landscaping) and things that might be inappropriate. Pretty sure the Headless Horseman "Sleepy Hollow" Halloween costume is staying in the office, though it might wind up being a prize in a couple weeks wink.gif

post #114 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael252 View Post

A boxed DVD set of the entire aired series of "We are Men." enjoy

ha! all two episodes!

next show to be canceled... hmm... hard to really say since i don't watch any of this crap... but i'll go with welcome to the family.
post #115 of 188 Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Actually, most of the stuff I get goes into charity auctions. We have a steady stream of listeners who use the stuff to raise money for everything from volunteer firefighter equipment to hospital bills for kids with devastating diseases. Whenever anyone comes calling, I grab up some autographed photos of country stars, station t-shirts and TV show swag. I only keep hats (They're usually really cheap and I go through those doing landscaping) and things that might be inappropriate. Pretty sure the Headless Horseman "Sleepy Hollow" Halloween costume is staying in the office, though it might wind up being a prize in a couple weeks wink.gif

Sounds like a great use for the swag. I hope you guys got a good price for the Terra Nova backpack. While not the biggest of backpacks, still great for a kid's school stuff.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #116 of 188 Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I'm gonna say Dads is next to go.

dads just got orders for 6 more scripts, so i don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
post #117 of 188 Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycarole View Post

dads just got orders for 6 more scripts, so i don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.
Don't forget, essentially the same thing happened with Knight Rider: it started off well enough and NBC commissioned more episodes only to cancel it soon after.

If they were really confident, it wouldn't be just 6 more scripts added to the order - which also doesn't mean those scripts will ever be shot.

What they're really doing is hoping people won't bail in fear of quick cancellation if it looks like the show might stick around. Plus, by seeing the scripts they can lock in where the show will go and do some tinkering. Networks love to tinker.

These days, the best way to get people to watch is via early renewal.
kittycarole and Nayan like this.
post #118 of 188 Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Us and Them done?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/12/us-and-them-cut-order-fox-canceled_n_4088283.html?utm_hp_ref=tv

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #119 of 188 Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"Ironside" next? http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/15/nbc-ironside-is-certain-to-be-canceled/208652/

It's one thing to clone a 40-year-old show. The thing that bothered me was the title. TV watchers in the 60's probably got the reference. Today's target audience.. probably not.

Nah, who am I kidding? It sucked.

post #120 of 188 Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was going to offer up Brooklyn Nine Nine to the cancellation gods, but it's on a night in which nearly every sitcom on Fox is really sucking hard ratings. Short of them cancelling every show on that night apart from New Girl (which isn't doing well either) they have to keep something. I still think Dads is going to be the sacrifice just based on the fact that it's stylistically at odds with everything else.

Wonderland might drop down the rabbit hole too, but I can't see ABC killing anything else until Betrayal is gone.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page