Super Fun Night - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I thought this one was really funny, in the tradition of Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23. But warning: the central character is a fat girl, so if everyone in your sitcom viewing list has to look as good as Olivia Wilde you need to keep moving. But Rebel Wilson doesn't dwell on her size, just her neuroses, and she has LIza Lapira- perpetually in search of a home that doesn't get cancelled after one season- as one of her main sidekicks.

But this has the look of something that will be cancelled pretty quickly. Pity.

CW Hinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I thought this one was really funny, in the tradition of Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23. But warning: the central character is a fat girl, so if everyone in your sitcom viewing list has to look as good as Olivia Wilde you need to keep moving. But Rebel Wilson doesn't dwell on her size, just her neuroses, and she has LIza Lapira- perpetually in search of a home that doesn't get cancelled after one season- as one of her main sidekicks.

But this has the look of something that will be cancelled pretty quickly. Pity.

Worth noting that ABC at the last minute switched the ep order for the first two eps. What we just saw was ep 2, not the pilot. The pilot airs next week.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2013/10/rebel_wilson_s_sitcom_super_fun_night_reviewed.html

It does look like something that will be cancelled pretty quickly. I didn't think it was horrible, but it wasn't great either. Rebel's american accent is not good and the jokes definitely center around her weight. One-trick ponies don't last in the comedy genre. Just like a show centered around a disease won't work (MJF Show), a show centered around Rebel's weight won't work.

I realize this opens the Mike and Molly argument, but I don't think Mike and Molly is great and if it weren't on CBS (the only network where you can truly get away with bad laugh-track sitcoms since CBS' audience skews much older), it wouldn't last.

My wife will ride Super Fun Night to the bitter end because she just loves Rebel and also likes that Conan O'Brien is an exec producer on the show. I'll watch it too (and not "hatewatch" it) and hope it gets better, but ABC switching the order of the first 2 eps is not a good sign. Let's see next week if the show retains anything close to 75% of Modern Family's audience, as it did this week.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I enjoyed it. There are still some great jokes in there that weren't about being fat.

"Terry's dead to us now" with a semi disgusted look on Matt Lucas' face.
"Oh no, what did Terry do?"
"She died."

I also love comedy shows that don't use laugh tracks.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I also love comedy shows that don't use laugh tracks.
IMO that was the only thing this show had going for itself, I also detest laugh tracks. I tried to give it a chance and even after 5 minutes when the rest of my household wanted to bail I kept watching but this will probably be my last time. Of course if next weeks program is listed as a "pilot" it will record on my Tivo and I may try it again, but if it's like this week I won't be sticking around for the end.
I've seen Rebel on late night talk shows and she can be funny, just didn't find much to laugh at on this show smile.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page