The Millers -- CBS HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Tuned in to night, very disappointed. Sitcom at is worst. Stereotypical characters, forced situations, poor writing. The decent actors in this show deserve sooo much better. Once and done for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I agree. Will Arnett is hilarious but his last 2 shows have been horrific.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Tuned in to night, very disappointed. Sitcom at is worst. Stereotypical characters, forced situations, poor writing. The decent actors in this show deserve sooo much better. Once and done for me.
You said it all! +1
post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Greg García's previous creations ("My Name Is Earl" and "Raising Hope") each lost me after a few episodes; his humor and mine just don't overlap.  I watched "The Millers" last night all the same, figuring that with established stars and writing for a laugh track there would be differences.  There weren't enough.

But I gave the second episode of "The Goldbergs" and that of "Back in the Game" a chance before deciding to stop watching them (and I'm not fully decided about BitG yet), so I might do the same for "The Millers" next week.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought “The Millers” was laugh out loud hilarious .
Loved it. The first new show I’ve told the DVR ‘Record Series’
post #6 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My Aunt & Uncle(78) emailed and recommended this to me. Me? I am 3 weeks behind in tivo.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
"The Millers," "Dads," "The Goldbergs": all three are focused on self-involved parents apathetic to anything outside their own skins, disappointed to the core that their offspring have minds of their own and aren't just trophies to their fertility.  Bonnie on "Mom" (Allison Janney), a supposed villain, has more thought for her daughter than all seven out of the parents on those three programs plus Terry Gannon Sr. (James Caan) of "Back in the Game" put together.

I'm giving "The Millers" one more chance this week, but what with my history of getting tired of Greg García's shows, my likelihood of continuing after that is slight.  If I could hurl bricks at Tom and Carol and instead of hitting Beau Bridges or Margo Martindale they'd destroy the writers’ room, well, only fear of the lawsuit and the criminal charges would keep me from doing it.

I stopped watching "My Name is Earl" because I couldn't stand Joy Turner (to the point where I avoided all of Jamie Pressly's talk show appearances during its first year, so as not to see clips of Joy's scenes), because she was a boring one-note cartoon villain; "The Millers" has two of them.  To keep me, both Carol and Tom are going to need to show some humanity in this week's show, and acting hurt if someone confronts them about one of their acts of narcissism doesn't count.  (Not that I've seen García try that cliché before, but I've seen it tried a lot as a weak way to try to make a thoroughly unredeemable character sympathetic.)  García's track record is that he doesn't need people who feel the way I do watching in order to have a successful multi-season run, so my expectations are zero.

It will simplify my DVR programming for Thursday nights, and if "Sean Saves the World" loses me, heck, it will be simplified further.  (Oh, yes, add Lorna [Linda Lavin] of "Sean Saves the World" as an eighth self-worshiping parent in a fall 2013 freshman network comedy.)
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page