AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Or, they won't explain it at all and the whole conversation will be:

Stephen: Mom, you have powers? Why didn't you tell me?
Mom: I was trying to protect you. Now, pack your bags, sweetheart, we've been marked for death...
I'm trying to be optimistic here.tongue.gif

Quote:
Then, it's onto them not actually going anywhere because that would separate them from all the other characters on the show.
Let's hope not.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 194 Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

We now also know that Luca will break out, even if he hasn't yet. Both of his parents are TPs, so he's sure to be one equally as powerful as Stephen... eventually.

But are Luca's parents both TPs?

When this episode started talking about synergists I knew my guess from last week that the mom would be psychic would be correct. However I am also still expecting that Luca is the result of an affair and that's what caused some of the friction between the father and Jedikiah and the mom. So if Jedikiah isn't the father I expect some other normal guy is.

Early in the show's run it was hinted that the mom had a secret and I mentioned it back on the first page. The precedent for her to be super was there but I wasn't paying much attention if it related to her having abilities.

post #93 of 194 Old 02-10-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Quote:

Early on, when Stephen was having all his breakout issues, Mom acts like he's crazy and throws him on meds that obviously weren't doing anything to fix the underlining issue. If she had her abilities and was aware of their existence, why wouldn't her first instinct be to pull him aside and discuss it with him instead of having him think he was crazy?

You would think she would be looking out for signs her abilities had been inherited and be ready to give him the heads up on what to watch out for.

It would be like putting your kid in "big boy" pants without toilet training, then being surprised when accidents happen.
That is a very good point.....

Maybe she was trying to protect him from his uncle?

That is a plausible explanation. That she was trying to get him so doped on meds that he wouldn't be able to use any powers (or even realize they really existed) and keep him out of Ultra's radar. Of course she also said Stephen was behaving like his father (crazy because of the limbo jumping experiments?) so that may have been something else she wanted to prevent.

All of Occam's razors do point to the writers just making this up as they go though.

Surprised no comments about Serinda Swan! I thought her accent was horribly cliche but her powers were cool. I'm half expecting that the experiments on her produced some Orphan Blacks and the Founder is cloning an army of megapowered hot daughters or wants to combine her eggs with Stephen's genes to make a new super Ultra agent. A child born of two TPs must be quite rare so splicing both together would create something more powerful and it gives the Founder's bosses a reason to keep Stephen around at Ultra.

And boy, Cara has become a dictator! Has she been replaced by a Ultra clone that has excess bitchiness?

post #94 of 194 Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

But are Luca's parents both TPs?

Going the affair route would certainly let them keep Luca normal, if they don't want to add anyone else to the major characters. I don't see how the show would be served by making him a regular participant, so I'd be fine with that.

Another explanation for the medication might be that she wasn't giving Stephen the drugs he thought he was taking. Perhaps she has connections to some TP chemist who makes power-suppresion cocktails. tongue.gif
post #95 of 194 Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A lot of CW shows got early renewals today.

Tomorrow People was not among them.

post #96 of 194 Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

A lot of CW shows got early renewals today.

Tomorrow People was not among them.
Ah, damn.frown.gif

The show keeps getting stronger....
ltownsend likes this.

post #97 of 194 Old 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

It wasn't surprising, though. The only freshman show to get renewed early was Reign; the others were all network favourites. TP, CD, B&B, and the mid-season premiering shows won't learn their fates until May. TP's fate will specifically hinge on how its numbers react to its new slot.
post #98 of 194 Old 02-26-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 298
post #99 of 194 Old 02-27-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't get it....
The Founder sends out a hit squad to take out Astrid and her dad because they know too much. Mom stops the hit.
Now uncle Jed promises Stephen that his friends and family will be safe if he comes back and works for Ultra again.
Isn't Jed countermanding the Founder's directive?

At any rate- I hope we get renewal news soon..... too many vampire/cop shows around, at least this is something different and we really don't know where it's going from week to week.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #100 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I don't get it....

Isn't Jed countermanding the Founder's directive?
So it would seem.

Quote:
At any rate- I hope we get renewal news soon..... too many vampire/cop shows around, at least this is something different and we really don't know where it's going from week to week.
Frankly, I am not sure IT does either.wink.gif

post #101 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:

Frankly, I am not sure IT does either.wink.gif
I do enjoy the show enough to keep watching, but that's my biggest complaint:

They seem to have painted themselves into a corner by centering the show so much on the dealings between Stephen, Jedikiah and Ultra. How many times can there be a real threat to Stephen, his friends or his family until it simply gets too stale to avoid the inevitable killing off of one of them? How long can Jedikiah realistically (and I'm not sure we're not past realistic already) hold off Ultra without becoming a target himself? Further, when are any of the new breakouts going to do anything more than pass through or become a cardboard standee in the background?

The original series brought in aliens, alternate universes and time travel. The traveled to other countries, since they...you know...could whenever they wanted. New breakouts that were found became part of the team, sometimes in place of previous characters. The whole Jedikiah thing was merely a small part of it all. In short, the series was interesting because the Tomorrow People actually did something other than hang out in the subway tunnels, waiting to see if there might be a breakout that day.

It wasn't just one group after the Tomorrow People, either. The military wanted a piece, too, along with foreign governments and criminal organizations. The new series feels like the A-Team being hunted down by Colonel Decker, only to have him flip his car at the last moment, allowing the heroes to escape.

Sure, there were some eye rolling episodes that took place that even the cast thought were awful, but it actually felt like all those powers had a real use when they battled alien races bent on destroying the earth or had to deal with enemies on other worlds.

Like many good shows, it incorporated issues of race and inequality along with the dangers of extremism (such as in the Blue and the Green serial).

In summary, the original was fun, even when things were serious. This isn't fun. It's compelling in it's potential, and has moments of being interesting, but it's not particularly fun to watch.
post #102 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They seem to have painted themselves into a corner by centering the show so much on the dealings between Stephen, Jedikiah and Ultra. How many times can there be a real threat to Stephen, his friends or his family until it simply gets too stale to avoid the inevitable killing off of one of them? How long can Jedikiah realistically (and I'm not sure we're not past realistic already) hold off Ultra without becoming a target himself? Further, when are any of the new breakouts going to do anything more than pass through or become a cardboard standee in the background?
I have wondered about these things too.
Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer at this point in time....as you say, they have painted themselves into a corner.

Quote:
The original series brought in aliens, alternate universes and time travel. The traveled to other countries, since they...you know...could whenever they wanted. New breakouts that were found became part of the team, sometimes in place of previous characters. The whole Jedikiah thing was merely a small part of it all.
I wasn't aware of an "original series."
But I certainly like its premise more than this one.

Quote:
In short, the series was interesting because the Tomorrow People actually did something other than hang out in the subway tunnels, waiting to see if there might be a breakout that day.
No doubt this keeps the shooting costs low.wink.gif

Quote:
The new series feels like the A-Team being hunted down by Colonel Decker, only to have him flip his car at the last moment, allowing the heroes to escape.
True.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Sure, there were some eye rolling episodes that took place that even the cast thought were awful, but it actually felt like all those powers had a real use when they battled alien races bent on destroying the earth or had to deal with enemies on other worlds.

Like many good shows, it incorporated issues of race and inequality along with the dangers of extremism (such as in the Blue and the Green serial).

In summary, the original was fun, even when things were serious.
I need to track this series down and watch....

post #103 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I need to track this series down and watch....
I don't know if anyone is streaming it, but Netflix has it on DVD.

Keep in mind, it was originally a British afternoon kids show from the 70's, which starred mostly kids. John was one of the few "adult" Tomorrow People, being roughly the same age as the new John. The breakouts are generally the result of those with that DNA hitting puberty, so Stephen is a kid. Other than John, Tim (the computer) seems to be the only one that is at all similar to the new versions. At least in the 70's, Tim being such a physically huge computer actually makes sense.

It's definitely dated story and technology-wise in some areas, it's a bit tame when it comes to danger and the FX definitely leave something to be desired. For example, right out of the gate, there's a terrible chroma-key effect of one of the Tomorrow People standing atop a bridge.

Midway through the series, there were some terrible attempts to add humorous storylines (which included the now infamous "A Man for Emily" storyline) and the final season had obvious signs of budget cutting, with one alien species appearing to be actors wrapped in bubble wrap.

It's important to remember, also, that this show had the later part of it's run right as the economy was hitting the skids worldwide at the end of the 70's. In fact, that was one factor that led to it's cancellation: it was becoming too expensive.

The show is definitely an entertaining watch, though, along with similar concepts like "Timeslip" and "Children of the Stones".

There was a revival series in the 90's, but it isn't available in a region 1 format (though the episodes are all available in easy to find places that don't require a pirate hat to be worn).
post #104 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanx for that....putting in my queue.smile.gif

post #105 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

That was impressive: I didn't think I'd ever see a show so desperate that it would jump the shark in its first season. Not only does Jedekiah have his own private laboratory where he keeps his dead brother on ice so he can experiment on him when it's convenient, but the great revelation of the mother's powers had essentially no explanation. Sorry, Mom, but "I was trying to protect you!" doesn't cut it when you were drugging your son for months. Furthermore, Cara is now hiring hitmen to bump off her enemies, which hardly seems like an action she would have taken just a few episodes ago, when she was terrified of becoming a leader. To top it off, we're even getting more TP-of-the-week murder plots, and Stephen even has a new partner to play detective with, so we can probably expect more cop filler moving forward.

It's now abundantly clear that the writers have no master plan and are making things up as they go along, and this show isn't just suffering: it's flailing in agony as a result. I almost always root for any show that tries to be different from the drek on CBS, but this one has become such a mess that I'm not sure it's worth fighting for. I'd actually be happier if it got cancelled at this point, just so there would be a chance of something better replacing it. I was actually looking forward to watching the resolution of the last episode, and all it did was leave me feeling as unimpressed as I've ever been with this feeble attempt at a reboot.
post #106 of 194 Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I wouldn't be that hard on the show, though it did look like the writers were trying to reboot the series somewhat with those revelations. I think we all knew his father's body was still somewhere, it's obvious he'll come back in the future.

I think the biggest problem going forward is this idea that Stephen is some sort of double agent working at Ultra. It strains credulity at this point he would still be working with Ultra. They should have never made Stephen a high school kid, they've already discarded that for the most part. I would move the mother and brother off the series, send them out of town to allow Stephen to fight Ultra on his own. I don't think his mother was supposed to have superpowers in the beginning.
post #107 of 194 Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That was impressive: I didn't think I'd ever see a show so desperate that it would jump the shark in its first season. Not only does Jedekiah have his own private laboratory where he keeps his dead brother on ice so he can experiment on him when it's convenient, but the great revelation of the mother's powers had essentially no explanation. Sorry, Mom, but "I was trying to protect you!" doesn't cut it when you were drugging your son for months. Furthermore, Cara is now hiring hitmen to bump off her enemies, which hardly seems like an action she would have taken just a few episodes ago, when she was terrified of becoming a leader. To top it off, we're even getting more TP-of-the-week murder plots, and Stephen even has a new partner to play detective with, so we can probably expect more cop filler moving forward.
Like they say: desperation is the Mother of Invention.wink.gif

Quote:
It's now abundantly clear that the writers have no master plan and are making things up as they go along, and this show isn't just suffering: it's flailing in agony as a result. I almost always root for any show that tries to be different from the drek on CBS, but this one has become such a mess that I'm not sure it's worth fighting for. I'd actually be happier if it got cancelled at this point, just so there would be a chance of something better replacing it. I was actually looking forward to watching the resolution of the last episode, and all it did was leave me feeling as unimpressed as I've ever been with this feeble attempt at a reboot.
Perhaps a better way to go would be to have Payton List scantily attired...often.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I wouldn't be that hard on the show, though it did look like the writers were trying to reboot the series somewhat with those revelations. I think we all knew his father's body was still somewhere, it's obvious he'll come back in the future.
True.

Quote:
I think the biggest problem going forward is this idea that Stephen is some sort of double agent working at Ultra. It strains credulity at this point he would still be working with Ultra.
It particularly "strains credulity" Ultra can't see thru his charade.

Quote:
They should have never made Stephen a high school kid, they've already discarded that for the most part.
Agreed.
Should have been a college kid.

Quote:
I would move the mother and brother off the series, send them out of town to allow Stephen to fight Ultra on his own.
Considering who is Daddy was and all, it's hard to believe Ultra wouldn't have thoroughly vetted mom and the 2 boys from the very beginning.

Quote:
I don't think his mother was supposed to have superpowers in the beginning.
Neither do I.

I believe what's happening is the showrunners are throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, at the wall to see if something will stick.
Absolutely NOT a good sign this series will be renewed for next season.wink.gif

post #108 of 194 Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Remember that this is a Monday show now, so the next episode is tonight at 9.
post #109 of 194 Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember that this is a Monday show now, so the next episode is tonight at 9.
Thanks for the reminder...
Confirmed by both TiVo and Sickbeard- it's a Monday show now!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #110 of 194 Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Stephen's partner is trying to manipulate him into thinking she's going soft so he will reveal the TP hideout to her, thus scoring her huge points with Ultra when she turns them all in.
post #111 of 194 Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Stephen's partner is trying to manipulate him into thinking she's going soft so he will reveal the TP hideout to her, thus scoring her huge points with Ultra when she turns them all in.
You think?

Because the show is designed not to require any of that...
post #112 of 194 Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The sad thing is she probably won't even earn any points, since Jedekiah already knows Stephen is working with the enemy.
post #113 of 194 Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yup.

Quote:

The sad thing is she probably won't even earn any points, since Jedekiah already knows Stephen is working with the enemy.
True, she will side with The Founder and, of course, will eventually regret it as he chews her and spits her out.

post #114 of 194 Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

What I want to know is how Jedekiah knew his girlfriend was trying to read his mind. Is he the only human capable of detecting telepathy, or was he just suspicious because she had her hands on his head?
post #115 of 194 Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I want to know is how Jedekiah knew his girlfriend was trying to read his mind. Is he the only human capable of detecting telepathy, or was he just suspicious because she had her hands on his head?
Astrid noticed when Stephen read her mind the first time...

post #116 of 194 Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good question.

post #117 of 194 Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If he's that paranoid about physical contact, he may have trouble in other relationships, too, and if physical contact improves telepathic reception that much, she should have tried to read his mind when their other body parts were in contact earlier in the evening. rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Wasn't that because the master of subtlety made a face at her when she was thinking that she loved him? It's not like being read gives you a tingling sensation on your scalp, or anything (as far as we know).
post #118 of 194 Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn't that because the master of subtlety made a face at her when she was thinking that she loved him? It's not like being read gives you a tingling sensation on your scalp, or anything (as far as we know).
IIRC- they were walking down a staircase when it happened so they couldn't see each-others faces. It seems like it's a very subtle sensation...

post #119 of 194 Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No she didn't.

He said something in reaction to something she only thought and she figured it out.
post #120 of 194 Old 03-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Telekinesis, telepathy , teleportation. The three T's. These powers are so cheesey and generic. How many times can tv shows use this? Its just another cookie cutter show with filler material and to eventually have all the main characters sleep with each other. The deeper story seems ok and if they would have focused on that it may have been renewed. Right now its predicted to be cancelled.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page