Are out of market locals possible on DirecTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are moving from NYC to the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. We currently have Verizon FiOS and love it, but unfortunately it's not available, nor will it ever be where we're moving. Our choices are DirecTV and RCN. My question is this. Is it at all possible with DirecTV to get out of market local channels? We really would much rather get the NYC locals than the Philly locals since we're actually closer to NYC and will be commuting back there for work. DirecTV has given me conflicting information on this where some reps say it is possible, others say it's illegal, and others say it's up to the installer. I had one authorized reseller tell me that it is possible if I use a NYC billing zip code. I just don't want to commit to a 24 month contract and find out I can't have these channels. Can anybody give me an answer to this seemingly difficult question? Thanks in advance!!

Pioneer VSX-1021
Samsung UN55D7000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Before the local channels from my semi-local affiliates were available via DirecTV, I applied for the network waiver from all the networks, ABC and PBS were the only two that granted them. I still have the ABC New York feed, PBS dropped me when the locals ( including PBS) were available via DirecTV. I had nothing but static and snow via over-the-air and the networks/DirecTV claimed I should be close enough to get the signals off an antenna (I had a huge 140" antenna on a 40ft pole on top of my garage, reception sucked) and wouldn't grant me the waivers.

I have to think that you'd have a real problem getting the waivers if you live anywhere near a major market. I live in the middle of f'n nowhere and had no network programming from '96 until 2 years ago this month.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post

Is it at all possible with DirecTV to get out of market local channels?

As long as D* offers locals in your DMA, they will NOT give you distant networks - regardless if your local stations would even entertain the thought of giving you a waiver. (that AIN'T happening...) Both D* & E* follow this policy now, per the wishes of the local broadcasters.

The ONLY ways to get distant nets in this case:

- Get an RV waiver; obviously you DO need an RV (license) to do this

- "move" your account to an address within the NYC DMA; however, keep in mind that except for the "big 4" networks, all the other local NYC stations (PBS, CW, etc.) are on spot beams, so they are not physically receivable outside a certain distance from NYC. (I can't speak about your new locale in this respect) Also, keep in mind that you would not (also) be able to have your "real" local locals on your account - so if the NYC spots don't reach you, then you're SOL for locals altogether.

This site has spotbeam maps & other info related to moving, that can provide more info:

http://www.satelliteguys.com/
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 457
How far are you away from NYC? You say you'll be commuting, so if you're a reasonable distance away, you might be able to put up an antenna and pick them up over the air.

The only difficulty would be recording them with the D* DVR. Even if you have an OTA capable model or an AM21 add on tuner, I believe D* works off the zip code to tune in the locals. You can't just scan for them.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The only difficulty would be recording them with the D* DVR. Even if you have an OTA capable model or an AM21 add on tuner, I believe D* works off the zip code to tune in the locals. You can't just scan for them.

It'll work. Just put in a zip code for the area that has the OTA stations you want -- it'll get the info from D* database for those channels. The zip code only affects what OTA stations it will receive of course -- has no effect on satellite-delivered locals -- those are determined by the service address on the account.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

It'll work. Just put in a zip code for the area that has the OTA stations you want -- it'll get the info from D* database for those channels. The zip code only affects what OTA stations it will receive of course -- has no effect on satellite-delivered locals -- those are determined by the service address on the account.
Good to know.

I wasn't sure if they both had to be the same.

So, in theory, the OP could get both the NYC and Philly locals - assuming he could get enough antenna reach.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Good to know.

I wasn't sure if they both had to be the same.

So, in theory, the OP could get both the NYC and Philly locals - assuming he could get enough antenna reach.
Once you connect an AM21, you're given the option of putting in a second zip code. I put downtown Toledo as my second zip since my array does pick up most of the Toledo stations, even though I'm comfortably in the Detroit DMA.

The OP could give us a link to his TVFool.com report over in HDTV Technical. A little time and a lot of aluminum and there's no telling what he can pick up. Though a look at Easton, PA, doesn't make it appear very promising: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae9cb15a2972

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

A little time and a lot of aluminum and there's no telling what he can pick up.
Especially for those out in certain parts of New Mexico and Nevada...there are some really interesting transmissions in those parts.

I hear they're encrypted, though. You may need a converter box... wink.gif