The Legend of Korra on Nickelodeon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I ran a search and was surprised that there wasn't a thread for Korra.

Season 2: Spirits is well under way and the latest two parter answered a lot of questions, including a few from The Last Airbender.

Anyone else catch the latest episode?
vilfrard and baja7475 like this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I don't think there are many Korra viewers on avs. I could be wrong of course, but whenever I mention it no one really seems to care. tongue.gif

I thought those episodes were fantastic. From the animation (I'm really glad this series made the jump to HD) to the acting to the score to the back-story, there wasn't much not to like.

For anyone out there who hasn't seen Korra/The Last Airbender, I'd highly recommend them both. Don't let the fact that it's on Nick scare you away. They're both great, though they both take a few episodes to find their groove. While not really directly comparable (though some elements may be), I think that if you're a fan of Miyazaki's films you'd like these two series. The depth of the world and characters along with the questions of morality are similar.

But whatever you do, don't judge the show based on Shyamalan's horrible, horrible movie.
vilfrard likes this.
post #3 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I don't think there are many Korra viewers on avs....

Agreed.

I'll post because PENDRAG0ON did a fantastic job at the original posting. He deserves more postings biggrin.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #4 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There was a thread for the bluray release that saw several posters, which is why I was so surprised that there wasn't a topic already.

For those who haven't seen it, the entirety of The Last Airbender (animated, not the Live Action abomination) is on Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. Give at least the first season a watch, it is an amazing show.

Korra is the sequel series that takes place about 70 years later and many of the events assume you watched TLA all the way through.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #5 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 773
I have all of Avatar on DVD, and I'm saving the Korra episodes until it finishes its run, which I expect will be some time at the end of 2015.
post #6 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Expect to wait until summer 2016 before the whole series is on bluray. Season 2 is said to be 24 episodes long. There will be 4 seasons in total.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #7 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was 4 seasons with each season being 12-14 episodes each?

**searches**

Yep. Looks like that's the case.

Though it looks like what the creators consider a season is different from the network's perspective. The creators are sticking to calling each 12-14 episode arc a Book, so to them, there are 4 Books. For the network, Season 1 is Books 1 & 2 and Season 2 is books 3 & 4.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I thought it was 4 seasons with each season being 12-14 episodes each?

**searches**

Yep. Looks like that's the case.

Though it looks like what the creators consider a season is different from the network's perspective. The creators are sticking to calling each 12-14 episode arc a Book, so to them, there are 4 Books. For the network, Season 1 is Books 1 & 2 and Season 2 is books 3 & 4.

So Spirits is almost done... that sucks.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #9 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Book 2 should conclude some time around the new year, and hopefully books 3 and 4 will run in fall 2014/2015. The lengthy process of animating the series could delay the release dates, of course.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-19-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Book 2 should conclude some time around the new year, and hopefully books 3 and 4 will run in fall 2014/2015. The lengthy process of animating the series could delay the release dates, of course.

They have been running all multi part episodes together, last night we got the second two parter of the season. I expect the finale to be another two parter or maybe more.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11 of 34 Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After all the story advancement of that last two parter, and a week off I was let down by this episode. 5 more episodes to go it seems.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12 of 34 Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would say this episode made up for the last one. Bringing back so many old characters from TLA, and some plot advancement to top it off.
vilfrard likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #13 of 34 Old 11-17-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Final two episodes air this Friday. (They are already up on Nick's website apparently)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #14 of 34 Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is anybody still watching this since it's computer only?

I thought Season 3 was good much better then 2. Looking forward to starting season 4, just hate watching them on my computer.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-20-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

But whatever you do, don't judge the show based on Shyamalan's horrible, horrible movie.
Apparently, he never watched the Airbender 'toons; there's no way to mess that up unless you're really trying.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #16 of 34 Old 10-20-2014, 04:34 PM

Liked: 0
what cable is this
post #17 of 34 Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by larastonham View Post
what cable is this
It was on Nick, now it's online only.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still watching. The series has surpassed TLA in my eyes. It's more mature, which makes sense of course given the ages of the characters, and so it just feels more relevant.
baja7475 likes this.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja7475 View Post
Is anybody still watching this since it's computer only?

I thought Season 3 was good much better then 2. Looking forward to starting season 4, just hate watching them on my computer.
It was interesting, darn shame they moved it online. I've had issues watching the show from their web site when I use Firefox (and I have the latest version), works better on Safari.

Same thing with other anime now available only on-line. I'm going to have to subscribe to Netflix if I want to see the final season of Star Wars:Clone Wars or any future episodes of Dragons:Riders/Defenders of Berk.
baja7475 likes this.
post #20 of 34 Old 12-23-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't remember seeing an animated series (on Nick no less), get this kind of media coverage, but I guess that was to be expected with that finale, which was fantastic.

I thought the first couple of seasons were great, but they both had their faults. The last two seasons however were on a whole other level (despite Nick's ineptitude). This series is definitely one of my favorites of all time (animated or otherwise).

Here's what the two creators had to say about that final scene that caused all the ruckus: http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/

I wish more people would give this series a chance, but the mere fact that it's animated and was a Nick property would be enough to turn a lot of adults off. It deserves more recognition.
post #21 of 34 Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Good timing... I got the first season of both TLA and Korra last night, but haven't watched any of episodes. Can't wait from all the positive feedback , thanks.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #22 of 34 Old 12-23-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to start watching it, too. I loved Avatar, so I have high hopes for Korra. Thanks for not revealing any juicy tidbits, even though it's over. I was poised to close the tab in a flash, otherwise.
post #23 of 34 Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol. I figured it was better to err on the side of caution with regards to spoilers as quiet as this thread is.

Spanglo, I think you're in for a treat. I think both series start off a bit slowly (TLA a bit slower than LoK), but it's worth the build-up.
Spanglo likes this.
post #24 of 34 Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Season 4 aired already? Sheesh, got lotsa catching up to do.
post #25 of 34 Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
I thought TLA was pretty awesome, but Korra?...not so much. It's the character--she's annoying, hot-headed, and just plain stupid, to the point where I never felt anything for her (I blame the writers). Plus the atmosphere is so far removed from TLA that I'd forget at times that they're related.

Some of the supporting characters were pretty cool, but Korra never became likeable. Also, the part in the series where they cover the origin of the Avatar--that was the best part of this entire series. That's about it for the positives I'm afraid.

As for the finale...my thoughts as it unfolded:

"W...T...F...Seriously? Where did that come from? And isn't this viewed by young children?"

Then I looked up Korra's suggested age rating out of curiosity...:"TV-Y7"

"Ok so not only is this series inferior to the original, but because of this ending--which was never a developed aspect of this show--it's definitely not recommendable to breeders with young cubs"

The ending was enough to push this series over the "put it out of my mind forever" edge.

thread closed
post #26 of 34 Old 01-01-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's been enough time since the series ended that we could start posting spoilers. But just in case, massive spoilers ahead in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
I thought TLA was pretty awesome, but Korra?...not so much. It's the character--she's annoying, hot-headed, and just plain stupid, to the point where I never felt anything for her (I blame the writers). Plus the atmosphere is so far removed from TLA that I'd forget at times that they're related.

Some of the supporting characters were pretty cool, but Korra never became likeable. Also, the part in the series where they cover the origin of the Avatar--that was the best part of this entire series. That's about it for the positives I'm afraid.

As for the finale...my thoughts as it unfolded:

"W...T...F...Seriously? Where did that come from? And isn't this viewed by young children?"

Then I looked up Korra's suggested age rating out of curiosity...:"TV-Y7"

"Ok so not only is this series inferior to the original, but because of this ending--which was never a developed aspect of this show--it's definitely not recommendable to breeders with young cubs"

The ending was enough to push this series over the "put it out of my mind forever" edge.
Korra did indeed start off as hot-headed, but she certainly wasn't that by the end of the show, and that was the point. She had evolved quite a bit. This was always a show about Korra. I thought the writers did a fantastic job with her, especially at the end of season three, going into season four.

This series was never meant for young children. Hell, season one ended with an on-screen murder/suicide. Some people assume that was partially why Nick moved the show online. Things only got darker from there with the Earth Queen getting murdered on-screen and Korra getting tortured. Not to mention other deaths like P'li's head exploding inside a metal container.

And that's not even considering the shows themes throughout each season like egalitarianism, anarchism and totalitarianism. I'm fairly certain political ideologies would be lost on kids. This series was made assuming that the kids who watched TLA would now be in their late teens/early twenties, and that was the intended audience (and of course those of us who are older).

As for the ending, it was definitely developed from the start of season three. Read the blog post I posted earlier from the creators. It was in plain sight. Many people saw it coming, including myself, but we weren't sure they'd be allow to do it because it was still a Nick show.

It's odd that that's what you single out as being "adult" as opposed to everything else I listed. I don't even see how that's not appropriate for kids in the first place. There are already many kids with gay parents, so I'm guessing that ending wouldn't really be all that shocking to them.
post #27 of 34 Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think it's been enough time since the series ended that we could start posting spoilers. But just in case, massive spoilers ahead in this post.

Korra did indeed start off as hot-headed, but she certainly wasn't that by the end of the show, and that was the point. She had evolved quite a bit. This was always a show about Korra. I thought the writers did a fantastic job with her, especially at the end of season three, going into season four.

In Season 4 she was less hot-headed, I'll give you that, but she was ridiculously naïve/stupid...and still, very much annoying. I actually enjoyed a lot of the scenes that didn't involve her though. I think the writers' did a terrible job with her character--I'm trying my hardest to come up with something good to say about the character, but can't...they gave her a terrible personality and forced her to make nonsensical decisions to move the plot in whatever direction they wanted...it wasn't organic at all.

Quote:
This series was never meant for young children. Hell, season one ended with an on-screen murder/suicide. Some people assume that was partially why Nick moved the show online. Things only got darker from there with the Earth Queen getting murdered on-screen and Korra getting tortured. Not to mention other deaths like P'li's head exploding inside a metal container.

And that's not even considering the shows themes throughout each season like egalitarianism, anarchism and totalitarianism. I'm fairly certain political ideologies would be lost on kids. This series was made assuming that the kids who watched TLA would now be in their late teens/early twenties, and that was the intended audience (and of course those of us who are older).

Given what you said, you're thinking it should have been maybe "TV-14" instead of "TV-Y7"? I did a general search for Korra's rating, and saw TV-Y7...maybe individual episodes had different ratings? It would be odd to have age group ratings change from episode to episode...like--ok kids, watch this, but don't watch what happens next! So yeah, it looks like they were aiming for 7 years and up.

Quote:
As for the ending, it was definitely developed from the start of season three. Read the blog post I posted earlier from the creators. It was in plain sight. Many people saw it coming, including myself, but we weren't sure they'd be allow to do it because it was still a Nick show.

Ok, I read one of the creator's blogs, that can be found here: http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/pos...ate-it-embrace

...and my response to his points:

Quote:
You can celebrate it, embrace it, accept it, get over it, or whatever you feel the need to do, but there is no denying it. That is the official story. We received some wonderful press in the wake of the series finale at the end of last week, and just about every piece I read got it right: Korra and Asami fell in love. Were they friends? Yes, and they still are, but they also grew to have romantic feelings for each other.

The ending wasn't ambiguous at all, and of course they received "wonderful" press...the entertainment industry and media are willing, if not leading, participants in the LGBT movement.

Was Korrasami "endgame," meaning, did we plan it from the start of the series? No, but nothing other than Korra’s spiritual arc was. Asami was a duplicitous spy when Mike and I first conceived her character. Then we liked her too much so we reworked the story to keep her in the dark regarding her father’s villainous activities. Varrick and Zhu Li weren’t originally planned to end up as a couple either, but that’s where we took the story/where the story took us. That’s how writing works the vast majority of the time. You give these characters life and then they tell you what they want to do.

I have bragging rights as the first Korrasami shipper (I win!). As we wrote Book 1, before the audience had ever laid eyes on Korra and Asami, it was an idea I would kick around the writers’ room. At first we didn’t give it much weight, not because we think same-sex relationships are a joke, but because we never assumed it was something we would ever get away with depicting on an animated show for a kids network in this day and age, or at least in 2010.

"You give these characters life and then they tell you what they want to do."--a statement like this is what's wrong with people these days...or probably since the beginning of our species. I bet so many people will read that and think "exactly...he's so right", while I just /facepalm. Seriously, anything he says after a statement like that, how can you argue with him? I'd probably assume he's high and just walk away. And before you dismiss that notion, try being sober and listening to a person that's high--they swear they're making sense... it's irritating to say the least.

Makorra was only "endgame" as far as the end of Book 1. Once we got into Book 2 we knew we were going to have them break up, and we never planned on getting them back together. Sorry, friends. I like Mako too, and I am sure he will be just fine in the romance department. He grew up and learned about himself through his relationships with Asami and Korra, and he’s a better person for it, and he’ll be a better partner for whomever he ends up with.

Once Mako and Korra were through, we focused on developing Korra and Asami’s relationship. Originally, it was primarily intended to be a strong friendship. Frankly, we wanted to set most of the romance business aside for the last two seasons. Personally, at that point I didn’t want Korra to have to end up with someone at the end of series. We obviously did it in Avatar, but even that felt a bit forced to me. I’m usually rolling my eyes when that happens in virtually every action film, "Here we go again…" It was probably around that time that I came across this quote from Hayao Miyazaki:

"I’ve become skeptical of the unwritten rule that just because a boy and girl appear in the same feature, a romance must ensue. Rather, I want to portray a slightly different relationship, one where the two mutually inspire each other to live - if I’m able to, then perhaps I’ll be closer to portraying a true expression of love."

I agree with him wholeheartedly, especially since the majority of the examples in media portray a female character that is little more than a trophy to be won by the male lead for his derring-do. So Mako and Korra break the typical pattern and end up respecting, admiring, and inspiring each other. That is a resolution I am proud of.

However, I think there needs to be a counterpart to Miyazaki’s sentiment: Just because two characters of the same sex appear in the same story, it should not preclude the possibility of a romance between them. No, not everyone is queer, but the other side of that coin is that not everyone is straight. The more Korra and Asami’s relationship progressed, the more the idea of a romance between them organically blossomed for us. However, we still operated under this notion, another "unwritten rule," that we would not be allowed to depict that in our show. So we alluded to it throughout the second half of the series, working in the idea that their trajectory could be heading towards a romance.

"Alluded to it"?...still must be high. No, you didn't...go back and watch your show. Please don't tell me this is why people say it was "in plain site". I can imagine people going back over the episodes and pointing out every little interaction between the two, and giving it new meaning, to align with the ending. I can justify a pairing of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker at the end of "Return of the Jedi" with enough imagination: Hey Han saved Luke from Darth Vader, and rode out into a blizzard to cozy up with him, because he was in love with him, and that's also why Luke saved Han from Jabba...now all we need is the shot establishing that they're a couple, nothing more, and roll end credits.

But as we got close to finishing the finale, the thought struck me: How do I know we can’t openly depict that? No one ever explicitly said so. It was just another assumption based on a paradigm that marginalizes non-heterosexual people. If we want to see that paradigm evolve, we need to take a stand against it. And I didn’t want to look back in 20 years and think, "Man, we could have fought harder for that." Mike and I talked it over and decided it was important to be unambiguous about the intended relationship.

We approached the network and while they were supportive there was a limit to how far we could go with it, as just about every article I read accurately deduced. It was originally written in the script over a year ago that Korra and Asami held hands as they walked into the spirit portal. We went back and forth on it in the storyboards, but later in the retake process I staged a revision where they turned towards each other, clasping both hands in a reverential manner, in a direct reference to Varrick and Zhu Li’s nuptial pose from a few minutes prior. We asked Jeremy Zuckerman to make the music tender and romantic, and he fulfilled the assignment with a sublime score. I think the entire last two-minute sequence with Korra and Asami turned out beautiful, and again, it is a resolution of which I am very proud. I love how their relationship arc took its time, through kindness and caring. If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens.

Let's be clear, no one was looking at them as anything but friends, except maybe(don't know for sure) some "fan-art", otherwise known as hentai-type fantasy portrayals--but to be fair, they do that kind of stuff with any and all cartoon characters. There was no "hetero-lens", and honestly, I think not having a coupling-situation attached to the avatar character, helped...I mean, she was so annoying, who would want to do anything other than hit it a few times and move on? /RealTalk

Was it a slam-dunk victory for queer representation? I think it falls short of that, but hopefully it is a somewhat significant inching forward. It has been encouraging how well the media and the bulk of the fans have embraced it. Sadly and unsurprisingly, there are also plenty of people who have lashed out with homophobic vitriol and nonsense. It has been my experience that by and large this kind of mindset is a result of a lack of exposure to people whose lives and struggles are different from one’s own, and due to a deficiency in empathy––the latter being a key theme in Book 4. (Despite what you might have heard, bisexual people are real!) I have held plenty of stupid notions throughout my life that were planted there in any number of ways, or even grown out of my own ignorance and flawed personality. Yet through getting to know people from all walks of life, listening to the stories of their experiences, and employing some empathy to try to imagine what it might be like to walk in their shoes, I have been able to shed many hurtful mindsets. I still have a long way to go, and I still have a lot to learn. It is a humbling process and hard work, but nothing on the scale of what anyone who has been marginalized has experienced. It is a worthwhile, lifelong endeavor to try to understand where people are coming from.

There is the inevitable reaction, "Mike and Bryan just caved in to the fans." Well, which fans? There were plenty of Makorra shippers out there, so if we had gone back on our decision and gotten those characters back together, would that have meant we caved in to those fans instead? Either direction we went, there would inevitably be a faction that was elated and another that was devastated. Trust me, I remember Kataang vs. Zutara. But one of those directions is going to be the one that feels right to us, and Mike and I have always made both Avatar and Korra for us, first and foremost. We are lucky that so many other people around the world connect with these series as well. Tahno playing trombone––now that was us caving in to the fans!

But this particular decision wasn’t only done for us. We did it for all our queer friends, family, and colleagues. It is long overdue that our media (including children’s media) stops treating non-heterosexual people as nonexistent, or as something merely to be mocked. I’m only sorry it took us so long to have this kind of representation in one of our stories.

Yes, we get it--the movement must encapsulate all--no one is safe, not even kids...that sounds creepy...which isn't ironic unfortunately.

I’ll wrap this up with some incredible words that Mike and I received in a message from a former Korra crew member. He is a deeply religious person who devotes much of his time and energy not only to his faith, but also to helping young people. He and I may have starkly different belief systems, but it is heartwarming and encouraging that on this issue we are aligned in a positive, progressive direction:

"I’ve read enough reviews to get a sense of how it affected people. One very well-written article in Vanity Fair called it subversive (in a good way, of course)… I would say a better word might be "healing." I think your finale was healing for a lot of people who feel outside or on the fringes, or that their love and their journey is somehow less real or valuable than someone else’s… That it’s somehow less valid. I know quite a few people in that position, who have a lifetime of that on their shoulders, and in one episode of television you both relieved and validated them. That’s healing in my book."

Love,

Bryan

You know what's more "funny" than religious people using religious arguments against non/anti-religious people? It's when non/anti-religious people quote "religious" people that don't have a problem with whatever anti-religious agenda they champion. As if a non/anti-religious person is going to say "oh if God has a problem with it, we won't do it anymore", or a religious person is going to say "oh it's plainly against my religion/beliefs, but if another religious person says it's ok, my religion is wrong"...oh wait, that last part does happen doesn't it? People are swayed by public pressure and the words of those they hold in high esteem...now it's not "funny" at all...in fact, it's almost like there's a lesson to be learned here...

All I got from this blog is, the ending was intended as a last-minute LGBT message to kids, that was completely out of place. Which I already knew, and thus the reason why I wouldn't recommend it to breeders with young cubs...makes sense right?

oh...and this guy needs to take substance abuse more seriously.

Quote:
It's odd that that's what you single out as being "adult" as opposed to everything else I listed. I don't even see how that's not appropriate for kids in the first place. There are already many kids with gay parents, so I'm guessing that ending wouldn't really be all that shocking to them.

I guess I wouldn't use the term "adult", but you're making the argument that's it's too mature for it's age rating--I can go along with that. As for it being "odd"? How is it odd, when the co-creator, quoted above, even states that it's an unwritten rule? The only oddity here is that they actually did it, in a kids' program, knowing it would be a problem. People don't necessarily have a problem with violence in cartoons and whatnot, because usually violence is depicted as sport (boxing, football, etc) or good versus bad--things the general population have less of a problem with being shown to their kids...so violence/death isn't thought of as "adult" material until it becomes "graphic", I'd imagine. Like EVERY single society/group/sub-group, large and small, we moralize sex. The reason I use the term "breeders" in these types of arguments, is I want people to understand what they're up against. If ones' blood lineage is important to them, they'd want their offspring to grow up with those same values/morals. Many parents want to be grandparents. The last thing they'd want their impressionable cubs to hear at a young age, is that same-sex coupling is "equal" to mom & dad...sorry, adoption, as noble as it is, isn't the dream for most breeders--they want a blood legacy, and they want their beliefs, and values passed down through the generations--I've heard some argue it's our species' way a coping with mortality...gives us meaning...blah blah blah I'm sure it'll mean more to me if I ever have kids--but I completely understand their point of view. That's why those tv watchdog family organizations exist, to let people know what's being shown to their kids when parents aren't being as attentive as they probably should be. This show probably got a pass on the violence (I'm assuming) because it was largely "good fighting evil" and wasn't too graphic, but then they pulled a stunt at the last second..."that's a wrap--now they can say what they want to say, and just get over it!" Seriously, if George (or Disney now) pulled that with "Star Wars", I'd be done with it..."Special SPECIAL edition: Han loves Luke"!

thread closed
post #28 of 34 Old 01-02-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In Season 4 she was less hot-headed, I'll give you that, but she was ridiculously naïve/stupid...and still, very much annoying. I actually enjoyed a lot of the scenes that didn't involve her though. I think the writers' did a terrible job with her character--I'm trying my hardest to come up with something good to say about the character, but can't...they gave her a terrible personality and forced her to make nonsensical decisions to move the plot in whatever direction they wanted...it wasn't organic at all.
I thought the writers did a great job with her. But we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Quote:
Given what you said, you're thinking it should have been maybe "TV-14" instead of "TV-Y7"? I did a general search for Korra's rating, and saw TV-Y7...maybe individual episodes had different ratings? It would be odd to have age group ratings change from episode to episode...like--ok kids, watch this, but don't watch what happens next! So yeah, it looks like they were aiming for 7 years and up.
No. They weren't. The network decides the ratings, and they wanted to be all inclusive. They didn't actually rate the content. Korra was clearly intended for an older audience. Networks often give shows different ratings. For example, reruns of Gargoyles and Batman often carried/carry TV-PG ratings although they were originally rated TV-Y7. Never in a million years would I recommend Gargoyles to a 7-year-old.

Quote:
"You give these characters life and then they tell you what they want to do."--a statement like this is what's wrong with people these days...or probably since the beginning of our species. I bet so many people will read that and think "exactly...he's so right", while I just /facepalm. Seriously, anything he says after a statement like that, how can you argue with him? I'd probably assume he's high and just walk away. And before you dismiss that notion, try being sober and listening to a person that's high--they swear they're making sense... it's irritating to say the least.
Um...what exactly is wrong with that statement? Haven't you ever seen or read interviews with other writers? I don't just mean television writers, but book writers/authors as well? That's how they view their creations. That's par for the course.

Quote:
"Alluded to it"?...still must be high. No, you didn't...go back and watch your show. Please don't tell me this is why people say it was "in plain site". I can imagine people going back over the episodes and pointing out every little interaction between the two, and giving it new meaning, to align with the ending. I can justify a pairing of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker at the end of "Return of the Jedi" with enough imagination: Hey Han saved Luke from Darth Vader, and rode out into a blizzard to cozy up with him, because he was in love with him, and that's also why Luke saved Han from Jabba...now all we need is the shot establishing that they're a couple, nothing more, and roll end credits. Let's be clear, no one was looking at them as anything but friends, except maybe(don't know for sure) some "fan-art", otherwise known as hentai-type fantasy portrayals--but to be fair, they do that kind of stuff with any and all cartoon characters. There was no "hetero-lens", and honestly, I think not having a coupling-situation attached to the avatar character, helped...I mean, she was so annoying, who would want to do anything other than hit it a few times and move on? /RealTalk
Again, no. Many of us saw it coming and were discussing it before they confirmed it in the final scene. Most recently it became perfectly clear when Asami complimeted Korra's hair and she blushed. Blushing has always been used as a sign of romanctic feelings on this show (and TLA). But along with that that same episode we had learned that Korra was only writing to Asami, and Mako actually says on the show that something was up between them. But throwing all that out the window, why not also complain about Korra falling in love with Mako in like 2 episodes or Bolin falling in love with Opal in a split second? Korra and Asami easily could have been thrown together that quickly, but they didn't do that. They spent two years building that relationship for the payoff to feel earned, and it worked. You missed it. Many other viewers didn't.

Quote:
I guess I wouldn't use the term "adult", but you're making the argument that's it's too mature for it's age rating--I can go along with that. As for it being "odd"? How is it odd, when the co-creator, quoted above, even states that it's an unwritten rule? The only oddity here is that they actually did it, in a kids' program, knowing it would be a problem. People don't necessarily have a problem with violence in cartoons and whatnot, because usually violence is depicted as sport (boxing, football, etc) or good versus bad--things the general population have less of a problem with being shown to their kids...so violence/death isn't thought of as "adult" material until it becomes "graphic", I'd imagine. Like EVERY single society/group/sub-group, large and small, we moralize sex. The reason I use the term "breeders" in these types of arguments, is I want people to understand what they're up against. If ones' blood lineage is important to them, they'd want their offspring to grow up with those same values/morals. Many parents want to be grandparents. The last thing they'd want their impressionable cubs to hear at a young age, is that same-sex coupling is "equal" to mom & dad...sorry, adoption, as noble as it is, isn't the dream for most breeders--they want a blood legacy, and they want their beliefs, and values passed down through the generations--I've heard some argue it's our species' way a coping with mortality...gives us meaning...blah blah blah I'm sure it'll mean more to me if I ever have kids--but I completely understand their point of view. That's why those tv watchdog family organizations exist, to let people know what's being shown to their kids when parents aren't being as attentive as they probably should be. This show probably got a pass on the violence (I'm assuming) because it was largely "good fighting evil" and wasn't too graphic, but then they pulled a stunt at the last second..."that's a wrap--now they can say what they want to say, and just get over it!" Seriously, if George (or Disney now) pulled that with "Star Wars", I'd be done with it..."Special SPECIAL edition: Han loves Luke"!
I'm just gonna steer clear of the religious angle as this isn't the forum for that...

It's an unwritten rule because it's a barrier that hadn't been broken. Much like the interracial barrier had to be broken decades ago (Korra's pairing with Asami was actually both). It was an unprecedented moment of inclusion on a "kids show." You should google reactions to the finale to see just how loved it was. I can't really argue that point of contention with you as that seems like something we'll never agree upon.
post #29 of 34 Old 01-03-2015, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought the writers did a great job with her. But we'll have to agree to disagree on this.
I'll agree to that lol

Quote:
No. They weren't. The network decides the ratings, and they wanted to be all inclusive. They didn't actually rate the content. Korra was clearly intended for an older audience. Networks often give shows different ratings. For example, reruns of Gargoyles and Batman often carried/carry TV-PG ratings although they were originally rated TV-Y7. Never in a million years would I recommend Gargoyles to a 7-year-old.
You might be right about that...

Quote:
Um...what exactly is wrong with that statement? Haven't you ever seen or read interviews with other writers? I don't just mean television writers, but book writers/authors as well? That's how they view their creations. That's par for the course.
Yeah, I know how artists of all kinds talk about their creations...that's why I said statements like that are what's wrong. On the surface it almost sounds profound, but I'm cursed...I can't let silliness like that pass me by without a /facepalm. It's a fricken cartoon character--it doesn't eat/sht/sleep without us saying so. Of course a creator is going to try to make a consistent character (most fail at this when it comes to tv), but that's where this whole thing falls apart anyway, because I still say the ending wasn't consistent with what was previously shown.

Quote:
Again, no. Many of us saw it coming and were discussing it before they confirmed it in the final scene. Most recently it became perfectly clear when Asami complimeted Korra's hair and she blushed. Blushing has always been used as a sign of romanctic feelings on this show (and TLA). But along with that that same episode we had learned that Korra was only writing to Asami, and Mako actually says on the show that something was up between them. But throwing all that out the window, why not also complain about Korra falling in love with Mako in like 2 episodes or Bolin falling in love with Opal in a split second? Korra and Asami easily could have been thrown together that quickly, but they didn't do that. They spent two years building that relationship for the payoff to feel earned, and it worked. You missed it. Many other viewers didn't.
Some people are embarrassed when flattered/complimented, and thus they blush. Also, there are some friends you confide in more than others--that's what was portrayed throughout their relationship in my opinion...there wasn't anything romantic about it. They weren't sending each other love letters, and I don't remember romantic harp music when she blushed...nothing about those interactions stood out enough to say "romance is in the air". And yes, those other "loves" may have happened quickly, but they were overt about it...you didn't have to read anything into it. There was no "pay-off" to be earned--this wasn't Ross and Rachel, it was more like Ross and Joey being thrown together at the end to make a statement. Sorry, it didn't work...imho.

Quote:
It's an unwritten rule because it's a barrier that hadn't been broken. Much like the interracial barrier had to be broken decades ago (Korra's pairing with Asami was actually both). It was an unprecedented moment of inclusion on a "kids show." You should google reactions to the finale to see just how loved it was. I can't really argue that point of contention with you as that seems like something we'll never agree upon.
Oh I've seen the reactions, both pro and con...the cons win. That's only because the cons use their noggins to judge the ending in context, while the pros are all "wasn't that a wonderful and inspirational thing they did for our LGBT cause!?...so brave, so ground breaking...BRAVO!" It's hard for me to type this while I /facepalm, but hey...

thread closed
post #30 of 34 Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Thanks for the spoiler alerts... I skipped the last handful of posts.

Just started season 2 of TLA. Awesome. Liked it from the first ep of S1, and loving it now.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Legend Of Korra Book One Air Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page