Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 468 Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333

2 Night Premiere: Sunday Nov 17 8/7pm - Monday Nov 18 8/7pm

From Emmy Award-winning executive producer J.J. Abrams ("Fringe," "Lost," the "Star Trek" and "Mission: Impossible" franchises) and creator/executive producer J.H. Wyman ("Fringe," "The Mexican"), comes ALMOST HUMAN. Starring Karl Urban ("Star Trek") and Michael Ealy ("Sleeper Cell," "Common Law"), the new series is an action-packed police drama set 35 years in the future, when police officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids. The year is 2048. Meet JOHN KENNEX (Urban), a cop who survived one of the most catastrophic attacks ever made against the police department. After waking up from a 17-month coma, he can't remember much - except that his partner was killed; his girlfriend, ANNA MOORE (guest star Mekia Cox, "Crazy, Stupid, Love.," "Undercovers"), left him after the attack; and he lost one of his legs and is now outfitted with a highly sophisticated synthetic appendage. Suffering from depression, mental atrophy, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and the "psychological rejection of his synthetic body part," John returns to work at the behest of longtime ally Captain SANDRA MALDONADO (Emmy Award nominee Lili Taylor, "Six Feet Under," "Ransom"). By mandate, every cop must partner with a robot. And despite his passionate aversion to androids, John is paired up with a battle-ready MX-43. But he abruptly terminates his partnership after the robot discovers incriminating information about him. So technician RUDY LOM (Mackenzie Crook, "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise) introduces John to DORIAN (Ealy), a discontinued android with unexpected emotional responses. Although such responses were deemed flaws, it is in these "flaws" that John relates to Dorian most. After all, John is part-machine now, and Dorian is part-human. John and Dorian's understanding of each other not only complements them, it connects them. As he adjusts to working with his new partner, John also must learn to get along with his new colleagues, including the eager and somewhat starstruck Detective VALERIE STAHL (Minka Kelly, "Friday Night Lights," "(500) Days of Summer") and the distrustful Detective RICHARD PAUL (Michael Irby, "Law Abiding Citizen," "The Unit"), who does not welcome John back with open arms. ALMOST HUMAN will follow the week-to-week missions of John and Dorian, as they fight crime across this futuristic landscape, while the mysteries surrounding his attack and the larger mythology of this new world unfold. ALMOST HUMAN is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series is created by J.H. Wyman, who wrote the pilot. The series is executive-produced by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk and Wyman. Kathy Lingg ("Person of Interest," "Revolution," "Fringe") and Reid Shane ("Fringe") are co-executive producers. Brad Anderson ("Fringe," "The Killing") directed and served as co-executive producer on the pilot.

Karl Urban as John Kennex
Lili Taylor as Sandra Maldonado
Mackenzie Crook as Rudy Lom
Michael Ealy as Dorian
Michael Irby as Richard Paul
Minka Kelly as Valerie Stahl

The last of the new fall shows that I'm interested in. Even though I like Karl Urban and this has some Fringe-type sci-fi potential, given the lackluster season so far my hopes are very low that this will either not be cancelled or not turn out to be just another cop procedural with a light twist. The premiere shuffle doesn't bode well. Bad night to kick off a new show and a confusing last minute change of plan from Fox.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 468 Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Yeah, I don't think this one is going to be a keeper. While I think a TV landscape with more sci-fi is better than one with less, this seems more like a typical, formulaic police procedural than a serious sci-fi show. Since I avoid procedurals like they have MRSA (they do, you know - they'll infect your brain), I'll probably have to give this one a pass. And I really like Karl Urban and loved Michael Ealy in Showtime's underrated 'Sleeper Cell'. frown.gif
post #3 of 468 Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can only hope this show surprises me like Sleepy Hollow did..

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #4 of 468 Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Almost Human: TV Review
1:10 PM PST 11/5/2013 by Tim Goodman

The Bottom Line

It's 2048 in Los Angeles and the future looks, well, like we need to get more futuristic in a real hurry given that 2048 isn't all that far away. But still, it's a fun show with enough entertainment to keep you coming back if future episodes are as good as the pilot. Here's hoping they are, since broadcast television needs more science fiction.

Fox's new sci-fi show has enough polish, plot and action to bring viewers into a genre series that's a welcome addition to broadcast television and gives the network a strong one-two punch.

There’s a lot to like about Fox’s latest drama entry, the sci-fi heavy police procedural Almost Human. It has action, intrigue and humor, and it can’t hurt to be futuristic in a small-screen attempt to conjure up a Blade Runner vibe.

An equally important element is that Fox is putting Almost Human on Monday nights (following a sneak peek on Sunday, Nov. 17, which will give it a football lead-in), and there’s only drama competition from The CW, which means there’s no real competition for a drama. The Voice on NBC and How I Met Your Mother on CBS are stalwarts, but Almost Human gives some fresh blood to Fox in the Bones slot, which then slips into freshman hit Sleepy Hollow. That’s a good, solid two-hour block that some people (here’s one hand up) will find as a welcome diversion from singing shows and tired sitcoms.

Almost Human is being touted as something from executive producer J.J. Abrams (both the Star Trek and Mission Impossible franchises, plus Lost and Fringe), but it was created by J.H. Wyman (Fringe). The series is set 35 years in the future, 2048, and focuses on a very futuristic, unrecognizable Los Angeles and Det. John Kennex (Karl Urban, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek), who is just returning to the police force after nearly being killed in an ambush.

Kennex was devastated by the attack, losing a partner, a leg and suffering a deep depression that, to this point, has all combined to keep him off the force. But he’s back, mostly with the help of Capt. Sandra Maldonado (Lili Taylor), who believes someone is leaking information to a deadly renegade group called The Syndicate, which is terrorizing the city and which was responsible for the attack on Kennex.

In this modern world, the cops are losing the battle against outside forces. For some time now, the department has been using robotic or android partners. Upon his return, Kennex is teamed up with the latest model, the MX-43, which not only can spout endless amounts of information like a computer, but lacks emotional elements that undercut the previous, now-discontinued version of the robots.

Naturally, Kennex is not keen on the robots -- especially since they tend to probe him for weaknesses they can report. Also, Kennex is rejecting his synthetic leg for reasons we're not quite sure of. And faster than you can say "annoying android," Kennex has pushed his bot partner out of the car because it knows he might be getting illegal drugs off the black market in a dangerous part of town.

Fresh out of MX-43s, Kennex is instead partnered, allegedly temporarily, with an older, discontinued model. This one is named Dorian (Michael Ealy) and his line was put out of commission mostly because they were engineered to be almost too human -- they had emotions, etc. That was seen as a flaw in the field and the more brutal, task-assessment MX-43s have been the preferred choice ever since. But Kennex slowly, begrudgingly begins to have a fondness for Dorian’s emotional side and a buddy-cop show is born.

What makes Almost Human work is that it’s clear that Wyman, schooled in the J.J. Abrams worldview, has a real sense of a mythological backstory to Kennex and the wider world. But the series also operates as a weekly procedural, which shouldn’t put up resistance to people who fear committing to an ongoing serialized story.

Both Urban and Ealy are good, and the show is adding John Larroquette. Minka Kelly is also a regular. Luckily, nobody overdoes the modernity angle in their acting and so Almost Human feels grounded -- dark, dirty and lived-in, almost like Blade Runner (the pilot was directed by Brad Anderson). There are enough futuristic elements (a variety of cars, including what looks like a high-gloss, rolling doughnut; advanced weaponry; technological advancements; etc.) that the show feels fresh.

Coming very late in the fall launch game, Almost Human benefits by not having to fight the crowds and could catch on. It’s certainly worth the Sunday-Monday double blast of its premiere and offers viewers something fresh and worthwhile, particularly if it can keep up the vibe of the pilot.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/review-foxs-almost-human-653429

post #5 of 468 Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
They ran the promos constantly during the World Series and football too. Looks a little bit interesting but it's been done before. I liked Fringe a lot and like how JJ has handled sci fi so far and hope he stays involved to some degree. Like the leads too but I just don't see this lasting more than one season.
post #6 of 468 Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The premiere shuffle doesn't bode well. Bad night to kick off a new show and a confusing last minute change of plan from Fox.

Old poster it still says nov 4 LOL.

Why is following a fox nfl national game a bad night to start wont that give it a ratings boost ?

post #7 of 468 Old 11-09-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Fox had been pushing the original launch date for months that's why I started this thread on the day they changed their minds. I can't figure out if it's a sign they have no confidence in the show or if they have some other grand plan in mind. It's not from having too many new season hits that they couldn't fit it in that's for sure.

All the new posters have a definite last minute feel to them. Quick! To the Photoshop clone tool!

post #8 of 468 Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sci-fi, cop procedural, J.J. Abrams, Fringe alums mix. What's not to like? Occasional screwed-up schedule from football run over on Sunday night not withstanding.
vilfrard likes this.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #9 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Sci-fi, cop procedural, J.J. Abrams, Fringe alums mix. What's not to like?

Answered your own question.

Television really doesn't need any more of those.

post #10 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

Occasional screwed-up schedule from football run over on Sunday night not withstanding.

Not on sunday though....real spot is monday to team up with sleepy hollow.

Only on sunday for the 1st show cause as mentioned they want to use the game as a leadin.

post #11 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
I feel an obligation to support any effort at science fiction on broadcast TV since there's so precious little of it and it almost always fails to attract a sustaining audience. However, I also feel an obligation to oppose any more police procedurals which I feel are a blight on mankind, not to mention the television landscape. Seriously, don't we have enough of them? CBS, as a network, would cease to exist without them apart from an occasional football game.

Thus, my dilemma with regard to this series. It looks to me like a cynical attempt to squeeze another loathsome cop procedural into the prime time schedule by disguising it as a sci-fi show, hoping the nerds won't notice that it will follow the exact same formula of crime, discovery, red-herring, clever banter between mismatched partners (one of whom will be a rebellious misfit who constantly annoys his Captain), second red-herring, more clever banter, and finally the perp confessing because he's been outsmarted by the clever-bantering mismatched partners. Wash, rinse, repeat next week. Boffo ratings!

But I see through their cynical ploy. I'm standing on principal, dadgumit! We must resist the diabolical effort to inject our televisions with more crime, crime, all the time. Who's with me??!
post #12 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
H'mm...Maybe its just me, but a "mythological backstory" coupled with J.J. involvement doesn't sound all that promising. Been there, done that, and it doesn't turn out well. Even Fringe, which I love, ended up with a lot of loose ends, discarding a lot of intriguing storylines in order to wrap it up neatly. And then there is Lost...nuff said. smile.gif And then that tagline: "A bromantic Blade Runner", doesn't really get my heart beating faster. As much as I agree with the sentiment that any sci-fi is better than no sci-fi, I don't think I'm going to get sucked in by this one. Orphan Black and Continuum will be back in a few months...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #13 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM

Liked: 12
Isn't this like the fourth police show to use this premise? I think the last show was Mann and Machine and aired on NBC. Before that, the comedy "Holmes and Yoyo" on ABC. I think there was one that noted writer Harlan Ellison sued ABC over, but I can't remember what is was. Does anybody else remember?
post #14 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Not liking the dialog from the previews; I'm so not even tempted to watch the pilot.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #15 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

And then that tagline: "A bromantic Blade Runner"

When I saw that poster, I thought it was a parody... until I realised with dismay that it was genuine. I won't be watching, as I don't want to watch another crime drama, and I dislike the way J.J. Abrams doesn't know the difference between suspense and filler.
post #16 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I feel an obligation to support any effort at science fiction on broadcast TV since there's so precious little of it and it almost always fails to attract a sustaining audience. However, I also feel an obligation to oppose any more police procedurals which I feel are a blight on mankind, not to mention the television landscape. Seriously, don't we have enough of them? CBS, as a network, would cease to exist without them apart from an occasional football game.

Thus, my dilemma with regard to this series. It looks to me like a cynical attempt to squeeze another loathsome cop procedural into the prime time schedule by disguising it as a sci-fi show, hoping the nerds won't notice that it will follow the exact same formula of crime, discovery, red-herring, clever banter between mismatched partners (one of whom will be a rebellious misfit who constantly annoys his Captain), second red-herring, more clever banter, and finally the perp confessing because he's been outsmarted by the clever-bantering mismatched partners. Wash, rinse, repeat next week. Boffo ratings!

But I see through their cynical ploy. I'm standing on principal, dadgumit! We must resist the diabolical effort to inject our televisions with more crime, crime, all the time. Who's with me??!

Nope, I'm against you on this one. Cop procedurals are my favorites.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #17 of 468 Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post

Isn't this like the fourth police show to use this premise? I think the last show was Mann and Machine and aired on NBC. Before that, the comedy "Holmes and Yoyo" on ABC. I think there was one that noted writer Harlan Ellison sued ABC over, but I can't remember what is was. Does anybody else remember?

That show was called Future Cop and was produced by Paramount for ABC back in the early 80s.

vilfrard likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #18 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea hope this bombs.

Still mad at JJ for pushing star wars to dec 2015.
bauer100 likes this.

post #19 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Fox had been pushing the original launch date for months that's why I started this thread on the day they changed their minds. I can't figure out if it's a sign they have no confidence in the show or if they have some other grand plan in mind. It's not from having too many new season hits that they couldn't fit it in that's for sure.

All the new posters have a definite last minute feel to them. Quick! To the Photoshop clone tool!
FOX may have moved it to Mondays after seeing how well received Sleepy Hollow turned out, take advantage of their hottest new show and move the dinosaur Bones to the Friday graveyard.
post #20 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It was always going to be a Monday slot, but for no discernible reason they pushed the premiere back two weeks to a Sunday/Monday night premiere.

post #21 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 12
Ah! Thank you Westly-C.
post #22 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

It was always going to be a Monday slot, but for no discernible reason they pushed the premiere back two weeks to a Sunday/Monday night premiere.

The reason was stated upthread. They want to use this Sunday's game-sure to be a huge ratings performer, as a launch pad for the show. They would not waste this VALUABLE post game timeslot on a show they had no faith in or didn't want to succeed. This is the ultimate sign that they are confident enough with the show, and that the huge audience for the game with spill over into AH, and that large numbers of viewers will follow it to it's regular Monday time period.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #23 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Yea hope this bombs.

Yeah, that'll show him!rolleyes.gif Really?
post #24 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I refuse to watch any, I'll say it again I don't watch any of those cop shows, but I'll check this one out..

DJoel
post #25 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Ah, I misread it as being on a night other than Monday, so it was the plan to go with SH all along then. smile.gif
post #26 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Seems like this will be Robocop on steroids. I like it. biggrin.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #27 of 468 Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Yea hope this bombs.

If it's as bad as the last three eek.gif, he can push it to infinity and beyond as Buzz Lightyear would say. wink.gif
acebreathe likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #28 of 468 Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo View Post

Yeah, that'll show him!rolleyes.gif Really?

Yeah, Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

If it's as bad as the last three eek.gif, he can push it to infinity and beyond as Buzz Lightyear would say. wink.gif

Id rather watch a "bad" star wars than grown ups 2 or hangover 3 or rocky 27 or 99% of the other stuff la-la land puts out there.

+ sith wasnt bad other than the "Nooooo". tongue.gif

edit:
should add that sith on blu is awesome.

post #29 of 468 Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Although I have reservations about Almost Human: its premise is painfully familiar and it's on one of the Big 4 networks, Fox, I am still going to give it a chance. My daunter convinced me by reminding me that Karl Urban elevates just about anything he appears in. Just hope I don't end up disappointed.
post #30 of 468 Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Liked: 37
i too will give this series a chance because i am a fan of sci-fi and cop procedurals. but mainly because i have been a big fan of michael ealy ever since i saw him in sleeper cell on showtime.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page