COMMERCIALS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm not sure if this thread will get any legs or not, but I thought I'd start one about commercials because I've always been a fan of them and this year they seem to get better and better, which mainly means funnier and funnier to me. This is not so much about any specific products but more so about the entertainment value of the commercial.

What has inspired this thread is a few spots that have been running during the World Series that are across the board in interests.

For starters, there was an MLB commercial that showed various players making great plays with the scripting that talks as if the players are the subject. But the subject ended up being their appreciation of the fans from the players and MLB's perspective. "The game wouldn't be the same without them". I thought it was very well done and as a baseball fan it actually meant something to me.

There is also the latest AT&T commercial with the little girl who's in "Kindergarten" place. From eating your raisins before they turn into grapes, to "yes" (I'm running for cutest kid contest) to "What place are you in?"...."Kindergarten"..."That's adorable"....this is hands down the funniest commercial of the year for me.

Lastly, Samuel L. Jackson's credit card commercial....I have a big problem with his line "Every damn time!". IMO, profanity is already so over used and too many liberties have been taken with it but to use it in a commercial (regardless of how minor the word) I think is inappropriate. I mean, why?

Anyway, that's what I'm starting with. Join in if you like. If not, we'll move on to other things.

Regards,
CG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'm not sure if this thread will get any legs or not, but I thought I'd start one about commercials because I've always been a fan of them and this year they seem to get better and better, which mainly means funnier and funnier to me. This is not so much about any specific products but more so about the entertainment value of the commercial.

What has inspired this thread is a few spots that have been running during the World Series that are across the board in interests.

For starters, there was an MLB commercial that showed various players making great plays with the scripting that talks as if the players are the subject. But the subject ended up being their appreciation of the fans from the players and MLB's perspective. "The game wouldn't be the same without them". I thought it was very well done and as a baseball fan it actually meant something to me.

There is also the latest AT&T commercial with the little girl who's in "Kindergarten" place. From eating your raisins before they turn into grapes, to "yes" (I'm running for cutest kid contest) to "What place are you in?"...."Kindergarten"..."That's adorable"....this is hands down the funniest commercial of the year for me.

Lastly, Samuel L. Jackson's credit card commercial....I have a big problem with his line "Every damn time!". IMO, profanity is already so over used and too many liberties have been taken with it but to use it in a commercial (regardless of how minor the word) I think is inappropriate. I mean, why?

Anyway, that's what I'm starting with. Join in if you like. If not, we'll move on to other things.

Regards,
CG
Like many others I like funny commercials, and yes, I do watch the Super Bowl's commercials.wink.gif
However, I have a DVR specifically to blow past 'em.

As for the SJ line "Every damn time!" I do find it very funny.
On one hand, credit cards are for adults.
OTOH, if the ad is run before 9PM, it is inappropriate (IMO).

OTOH, kids hear words much, much worse all the damn time.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 751

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #4 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I really miss the old ones... especially the movie night openings on different channels. There is something lost now with the ability to pause live TV where as before the family was rushing to get to the sofa with popcorn because the Saturday night movie was starting. I have fond memories of those days.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #5 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Regards,
CG

I've been thinking about making a commercial thread for a while now, but mine was going be more along the lines of "commercials you HATE". Maybe I'm cynical, but most of 'em drive me crazy. Either way, it probably belongs in the HDTV forum.

But, if I put my desire to punch Flo or the Gecko, and especially the Wendys girl in the throat aside, I agree with you on the Kindergarten girl. Very cute. The Sam Jackson one makes me uncomfortable every time I hear it even though I'm as ******* foul mouthed as anyone.

To me, the whole portfolio of ESPN commercials are a winner. The latest "double double" is great. The most Interesting Man ones are good. The homegrown cartoon network ones can be very good too.

You catch the Suburu one with the mom saying her daughter "grew up in the back seat"? I was like whaaat? smile.gif
post #6 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Animals are my favorites. Loved the Budweiser ones with Louie and Frankie.

I also like this current Geico commercial.

post #7 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh...totally forgot about the "Does a tree make a sound..." one! Still laughing every time I see it. And I lied when I said the AT&T commercial is the funniest of the year. I gotta remember how to post video, but the Mastercard commercial with the pirate boy! He's about to go nuts on the elderly gentleman with the eye patch. THAT...is the funniest of the year to me!
post #8 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #9 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I always chuckle at the Geico Old McDonald spelling bee.
post #10 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I need Geico to cut me a break on insurance and stop making ads. smile.gif

post #11 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The best one is HUMP DAY!!!
post #12 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I like the Kindergarten one too, but this is still one of my favorite TV commercials of recent memory:

Another one Ally did in that series:
post #13 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mike Mike Mike what day is it?

These are just my opinions.
post #14 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I'm surprised the cable exec's haven't come up with "The Commercial Chanel" yet?
All commercials all the time- for ADD sufferers worldwide....
Will2007 likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #15 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I'm surprised the cable exec's haven't come up with "The Commercial Chanel" yet?

Haaaa....My wife and I said that exact thing about a week ago. If nothing else, a commercials show similar to the trailers show that came on HDNET. They usually have that annual world greatest commercial show that comes on around New Year's I think but that's international based.
post #16 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 693
ESPN Kevin Love "double double"

post #17 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

They already have. Half of the channels are commercial channels interrupted by a few minutes of programming.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #18 of 51 Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Slightly OT but I ditched OTA radio nearly 8 years ago, cable news like 5, and went exclusively MP3/podcast for nearly 100% of any listening in my cars. My new car has SiriusXM in it and while I do like the genres they provide those breaks for whatever the hell they are saying/selling annoy me to no end and I will not be subscribing when the trial ends.

post #19 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 10:58 AM

Liked: 10
I must be in the minority here as I usually TIVO all our shows (except sports, don't get me started on the amount of commercials on NFL games) and fast forward the commercials.
post #20 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My current two favorites are the "mail to speech" by BMW and the "Take on Me" VW commercials. They both make me laugh each time I see them.
post #21 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreams View Post

I must be in the minority here as I usually TIVO all our shows (except sports, don't get me started on the amount of commercials on NFL games) and fast forward the commercials.

Same here whatever I watch I try and do commercial free or skip them. Commercials with babies, kids or religion annoy me the most since I hate them all.
post #22 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I like that commercial with the Sasquatch that beats up the bible and baby haters. smile.gif

post #23 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
"Lastly, Samuel L. Jackson's credit card commercial....I have a big problem with his line "Every damn time!". IMO, profanity is already so over used and too many liberties have been taken with it but to use it in a commercial (regardless of how minor the word) I think is inappropriate. I mean, why? "

It's a nod to Jackson's persona. At least he didn't say "Too many m.....f...... credit cards on this m...........f............. plane!"
Any way, "damn" is pretty tame these days.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #24 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This may or may not be a "golden age" of TV, but it is definitely the "golden age" of commercials. With so many people having DVRs, TV stations have to make commercials more entertaining, to combat fast-forwarding of recordings. My g/f is constantly bugging me to ff, but I tell her "commercials are God's natural pauses."

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #25 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

"Lastly, Samuel L. Jackson's credit card commercial....I have a big problem with his line "Every damn time!". IMO, profanity is already so over used and too many liberties have been taken with it but to use it in a commercial (regardless of how minor the word) I think is inappropriate. I mean, why? "

It's a nod to Jackson's persona. At least he didn't say "Too many m.....f...... credit cards on this m...........f............. plane!"
Any way, "damn" is pretty tame these days.

If you view the word "damn" as profanity then you should consider watching television against your beliefs all together.
mscottc likes this.
post #26 of 51 Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

This may or may not be a "golden age" of TV, but it is definitely the "golden age" of commercials. With so many people having DVRs, TV stations have to make commercials more entertaining, to combat fast-forwarding of recordings. My g/f is constantly bugging me to ff, but I tell her "commercials are God's natural pauses."
Sometimes the break is welcome.

post #27 of 51 Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Saw a new one that stopped me in my tracks......I believe it was a Pepcid commercial where the family is eating dinner in the family room watching tv and the guy says "Why would I take one of these (Pepcid) when I can take these Tums all day long"? I believe it was the same guy that says "We gotta get outta here!"
post #28 of 51 Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I must confess I have a thing for the Mayhem guy smile.gif.
billybobg likes this.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
post #29 of 51 Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

I must confess I have a thing for the Mayhem guy smile.gif.

Dean Winters, who is also appearing on Law and Order: SVU
post #30 of 51 Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sitting around eating turkey and leftovers thinking ahead to Christmas and I keep thinking about this commercial:

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page