AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Apparently Movies! isn't available in Oregon. mad.gif

Do subchannels ever broadcast in 16:9? All the local subchannels I have via Comcast (OPB PLUS, which is a subchannel of the Oregon PBS station, as well as Antenna TV, MeTV, and THiS TV) are 4:3, so when they broadcast anything in letterbox, I end up with windowbox (black bars on all four sides), and zooming in reveals just how much detail is lacking.

I have two HD subchannels in my area. ABC is on channel 24-2 in 720p. Fox is on 24-1 in 720p. The CW is on channel 13-2 in 720p. CBS is on 13-1 in 1080i. The picture quality on both channels is amazing. I watched a movie in HD on The CW over the weekend.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 12-25-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 

Yes, my preferences, in descending order, are:
Blu-ray from Netflix
DVD from Netflix
Stream from Netflix
Catch on PBS
finally, to catch on TV.

The last two are most likely time-shifted (HD DVR) so I can FF past the disruptive commercials.
Outside of a quick "sponsored by" at the top of a show, I've never seen a product commercial inserted into the middle of a program on PBS. I'm just sayin'..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #33 of 34 Old 12-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 

Yes, my preferences, in descending order, are:
Blu-ray from Netflix
DVD from Netflix
Stream from Netflix
Catch on PBS
finally, to catch on TV.

The last two are most likely time-shifted (HD DVR) so I can FF past the disruptive commercials.
Outside of a quick "sponsored by" at the top of a show, I've never seen a product commercial inserted into the middle of a program on PBS. I'm just sayin'..

Apparently you haven't caught a special during Pledge Month. A 57-minute show like NOVA becomes 90 minutes with three pledge breaks, a 2-hour concert starts pushing 3 hours. The extra time, the bulk interrupting the show, are for prattle and offering DVDs and CDs about the show or "uncut" versions or extra songs, etc. At least that is how Oregon Public Broadcasting does it.

But when it isn't pledge month, it's as you said: once past a teaser intro and acknowledging corporate sponsors, no commercial breaks until after the closing credits.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #34 of 34 Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Apparently you haven't caught a special during Pledge Month. A 57-minute show like NOVA becomes 90 minutes with three pledge breaks, a 2-hour concert starts pushing 3 hours. The extra time, the bulk interrupting the show, are for prattle and offering DVDs and CDs about the show or "uncut" versions or extra songs, etc. At least that is how Oregon Public Broadcasting does it.

But when it isn't pledge month, it's as you said: once past a teaser intro and acknowledging corporate sponsors, no commercial breaks until after the closing credits.

PBS also edits for time (ridiculous if you ask me) and content. For example: I have the UK BD's of Prime Suspect and the earlier episodes are around 100 minutes in length. PBS stuck them into 90 minute timeslots with about 5 minutes taken up by the intro and presenter. Also, there be bewbs in the first episode.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page