Where's all the full length OTA movies in HD? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've got a nice Winegard 7694P antenna getting great reception on numerous channels, but ...

... very few HD broadcasts of full length movies over the air! Ion TV broadcasts a few, but that's about it.

Guess if you want legitimate sources of HD today you have to pay. Kind of takes some of the thunder out of cutting the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For the most part that's right. There are some sub channels that have older movies... but they aren't widescreen HD
your market area might have the following on sub channels
thistv (probably has the most)
mytv
metv
cozitv
gettv
movies!
retrotv
antennatv
myfamiltytv

those who 'cut the cord' but like watching movies usually do netflix in the mail, or online streaming if you have a decent internet connection with high bandwidth caps...

There's a few other places to watch movies online... not sure about all of them. I think one is called crackle
Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, my internet bandwidth is pretty poor. While I can get better, it kind of defeats the purpose of saving $.

I get retro and me-tv. Curious ... if they broadcasted more contemporary movies that were filmed in HD (vs the decades old stuff they do now), could or would they broadcast in HD?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hi,
No... because the sub channels have only a fraction of the bandwidth of the main .1 channel. They're just standard definition.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm in the NYC market and the only channels that play HD movies are the CW and MY TV Affiliates here, and only on weekends. Yesterday for example, Xmen the last stand and Pirates of the Caribbean was on, today is another of the pirates movie and a few good men.

This tv! plays good movies like toy soldiers and what not but not in HD. Bounce, an afirican american centric channel also plays good movies, but in SD as well.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

Hi,
No... because the sub channels have only a fraction of the bandwidth of the main .1 channel. They're just standard definition.

Makes sense. I figure if someone could find a way to make a profit broadcasting movies in HD OTA they would of done it by now.

The mystery is how they're making anything as it is broadcasting in SD ... mostly with content that goes back decades.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

Makes sense. I figure if someone could find a way to make a profit broadcasting movies in HD OTA they would of done it by now.

The mystery is how they're making anything as it is broadcasting in SD ... mostly with content that goes back decades.

Perhaps the content owners restrict the HD movies for subscribers of cable channels, which they make money off every single subscriber on Comcast/Charter/etc....? Follow the money. Alternatively, they want you to purchase pre-packaged media or subscribe to one of the streaming services. They are all about maximizing their revenue streams...
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
ABC used to be very reliable during spring and summer (non-football period), but now is mostly miss than hit. You can expect more OTA films over the holidays, though. And they won't be uncut.

The local MyTV usually has something decent on the weekends; yesterday Platoon; today, Wall Street. Bounce TV has previews in widescreen, but fullscreen showings. But you'll need to supplement w iTunes, Netflix, or Redbox if you "cut the cord"..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I get retro and me-tv. Curious ... if they broadcasted more contemporary movies that were filmed in HD (vs the decades old stuff they do now), could or would they broadcast in HD?

You're a bit confused. Anything shot on film, even silent films from nearly 100 years ago, can be broadcast in HD. Film has a higher resolution than HD. A movie being more "contemporary" has nothing to do with it.
Demolition Man likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Not all sub-channels are on SD. It just depends on how the stations slice-up their bandwidth....many carry two 720P channels, or even a 1080I and a 720P.
It takes some really good encoding equipment to do it, though.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

You're a bit confused. Anything shot on film, even silent films from nearly 100 years ago, can be broadcast in HD. Film has a higher resolution than HD. A movie being more "contemporary" has nothing to do with it.

I understand that. My point was there's a better chance any HD broadcast will tend to come from more recently made movies.

Dick Van Dyke in HD would be a kick however. How many of those old 50's and 60's shows are ever broadcast in HD these days?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that. My point was there's a better chance any HD broadcast will tend to come from more recently made movies.

Dick Van Dyke in HD would be a kick however. How many of those old 50's and 60's shows are ever broadcast in HD these days?

The Dick Van Dyke Show is available in HD on Blu-Ray. So is The Twilight Zone and the original Star Trek. The Andy Griffith Show and I Love Lucy are in HD on TV Land. There are others I'm not remembering at the moment.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Get a Netflix subscription where they send you Blu_Ray discs or go to a Redbox. I have two Redboxes 5 minutes away from my house. Instead of spending $100 a month for a HD pay TV subscription you can spend some of that money on your favorite movies on Home Video. I have a bookcase full of my favorite movies. Amazon and Wal-mart have great prices on DVDs and Blu-Ray.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Bounce, an afirican american centric channel also plays good movies, but in SD as well.

I watched See No Evil Hear No Evil with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder on Bounce Monday. Its a very funny movie.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than watch a movie on commercial channels, broadcast or cable. Who cares if they are in HD when they are time compressed, edited for content, badly dubbed and ripped to pieces with advertising.
Demolition Man likes this.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than watch a movie on commercial channels, broadcast or cable. Who cares if they are in HD when they are time compressed, edited for content, badly dubbed and ripped to pieces with advertising.

Not much consolation but at least one can watch corrupted movies cheaper OTA, the little that there is.

It's clear though that people shouldn't be cutting the cord for this type of viewing. A pity.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:

The target audience for these channels neither cares about HD nor owns TVs large enough to see the difference.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least with OTA you get to see them for free. But the best way to watch movies is on Home Video.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Quote:

At least with OTA you get to see them for free. But the best way to watch movies is on Home Video.

Except you don't. You get to see some of it for free and the rest at the whims and quality threshold of the broadcaster.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you cared enough about the movie to want to see it uncut, you wouldn't be watching it on TV. It provides a good, free way to see most of the movie, if you're only curious about it.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

"This movie has been formatted to fit on the screen, edited to run in time allocated, and for content."

Translation:

We kill everything happening outside of the 1.33:1 aspect ratio (or possibly outside of the 1.78:1 aspect ratio), we kill some of the content (like the dentist scene in Marathon Man) so we can run as many commercials as we want, even though the original movie ran longer than the time slot we have allocated for it, and anything we think might upset our prudest viewer will likewise be cut.

Oh yes, we also will throw up our station logo, display names of other shows that we broadcast, and we will hide the bottom third of the screen from time to time, even obscuring any necessary subtitles needed for following the story or at the minimum distract you from what the Director had intended to be the focus of your attention, to advertise some show you probably aren't interested in.

Yes, my preferences, in descending order, are:

1. Blu-ray from Netflix
  2. DVD from Netflix
  3. Stream from Netflix
  4. Catch on PBS
  5. finally, to catch on TV.

The last two are most likely time-shifted (HD DVR) so I can FF past the disruptive commercials.

Demolition Man and Nayan like this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

"This movie has been formatted to fit on the screen, edited to run in time allocated, and for content."

Translation....

Credit where credit is due:
The Movies! subchannel (on OTA) not only does not display that statement, it states that formatting and editing have not been done. I only have SD TVs, so the lack of HD is not crucial to me, but Movies!'s resistance to the mangling of movies is appreciated here.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Alas, I am unaware of any Movies! subchannel as I am on cable and the cable line-up doesn't have Movies!. :(

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 80
Quote:

Alas, I am unaware of any Movies! subchannel as I am on cable and the cable line-up doesn't have Movies!. frown.gif

surprisingly great channel. Was watching the day the earth stood still and war of the worlds the other day.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124

http://moviestvnetwork.com/where-to-watch.php

Nothing in Oregon, I have Movies in my market and as said, it's a nice channel to get for free OTA.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Quote:

Alas, I am unaware of any Movies! subchannel as I am on cable and the cable line-up doesn't have Movies!. frown.gif

surprisingly great channel. Was watching the day the earth stood still and war of the worlds the other day.

Apparently Movies! isn't available in Oregon. :mad:

There are two movies I am aware of called "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the wonderful 1951 version dripping with the Cold War paranoia, and the 2008 version), and at least two movies called "War of the Worlds" (the 1953 great classic with Gene Barry, and the 2005 version with Tom Cruise, not to mention a 2005 low-budget version called H.G. Well's ..., and a 1988 TV series with the point of view of the resistance fighters).

Do subchannels ever broadcast in 16:9? All the local subchannels I have via Comcast (OPB PLUS, which is a subchannel of the Oregon PBS station, as well as Antenna TV, MeTV, and THiS TV) are 4:3, so when they broadcast anything in letterbox, I end up with windowbox (black bars on all four sides), and zooming in reveals just how much detail is lacking.

My very humble setup:
Old 12-17-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

ATSC 480i channels support anamorphic widescreen, although most of them don't take advantage of it, since they show content that's old enough to be 4:3.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

It is on Comcast in the ATL, 480i widescreen.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

A shame. I thought it was more widespread. Multiple cable stations in Nevada and California are carrying movie channels that are popping up as subchannels on OTA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movies!

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do subchannels ever broadcast in 16:9? All the local subchannels I have via Comcast (OPB PLUS, which is a subchannel of the Oregon PBS station, as well as Antenna TV, MeTV, and THiS TV) are 4:3, so when they broadcast anything in letterbox, I end up with windowbox (black bars on all four sides), and zooming in reveals just how much detail is lacking.

Movies! is 16:9.