JFK 50th Anniversary Coverage (All Month Long) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I happened to watch Meet The Press and it had 3 interviews with President Kennedy. Remarkable seeing that footage for the first time. While it's a sad topic, I'm looking forward to seeing more coverage later this month. I'm only 30, so I'm seeing these interviews/coverage for the first time.

I remember reading somewhere that Walter Cronkite was furious at Don Hewitt since he had to break the news at first without cameras because they took 25 minutes to warm up. It's amazing how far news-gathering has come in 50 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We have a special treat here in Tampa. A documentary will be shown, JFK in Tampa: the 50th Anniversary, that chronicles his visit 4 days before the trip to Texas. After it's showing at the Tampa Theater it will be shown multiple times on the USF television channel. Afterward it will hopefully be available in other part of the country on PBS. Out takes and other items will be on display at the Tampa History museum.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
"Killing Kennedy" will premier on Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 8 PM CST on NatGeo.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/killing-kennedy/?gclid=COjFieKK17oCFcs-MgodtjQAnw
Old 11-10-2013, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Where can I find a listing of all the JFK stuff on TV this month? New stuff, or is just repeats? New documentaries, I will watch. Any movie, I will pass.

Edit: Nevermind about the listing part. I found it here
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/11/jfk-50th-anniversary-tv-specials-and-documentaries-guide.html
Old 11-10-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Anxious to see how NatGeo does with O"Reilly book "Killing Kennedy" tonite.. Great book, hope they do a good job. Rob Lowe will play the president. The station will be looking for knockout ratings just like "Killing Lincoln" gave it.. The show will be based on accepted facts and avoids controversy according to this article:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/news/article_1718948.php/TV-Pick-for-Sunday-Nat-Geo-s-Killing-Kennedy-a-profound-reminder-of-Camelot-lost-VIDEOS

Old 11-11-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 75
There are a lot of programs on now commemorating President Kennedy. The other night I watched the movie Parkland and it was mesmerizing. It's a detailed account of of the shooting of JFK and then Lee Harvey Oswald, both of whom were taken to and died at Parkland General Hospital. It also focused on Abraham Zapruder who shot the famous footage of the assasination. It's pretty somber stuff but worth a look.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
For a different slant, the CBS Sports Network is showing Marching On: 1963 Army-Navy Remembered tonight at 8. It will be repeated a few more times as well. It's a look at how the Army-Navy game that November helped heal the country (a little).
Old 11-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 79
My comment is a bit off-topic (not about the HDTV coverage) . . .

I watched a good bit of the CBS continuous streaming coverage yesterday. I was 10 in November 1963, so I remember watching much of the coverage back at that time.

There are several things I find pretty amazing while watching the streaming coverage today:

The tremendous difference in the technology in the TV studio (obviously TV was still in its infancy).

If JFK was alive today he would be a Republican (watch his speech in Ft. Worth the morning of the assassination)

The reporters (and the politicians) are all male.

The reporters inject almost zero amount of political sway into their comments, they simply try to tell what happened.

Politicians, as well as some reporters and studio workers smoke on camera (interview with Dallas mayor was over the top).

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
Old 11-24-2013, 06:13 AM
JCL
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good observations......

Here' s'more.

In those days Newsrooms in TV stations/networks were just a bunch of desks for reporters, with phones and teletype machines. There's usually just one big camera, which is usually turned on just for the evening news. They were not turned on during the lunch hour when Kennedy was shot. the CBS camera took something like 20 minutes to get warmed up to shoot Cronkite. It was similar at NBC.

This was the world's first attempt at round-the-clock event reporting, it was a template of what has evolved over decades into CNN, Fox News and MSNBC today.

Many of the reporters who worked in Dallas that weekend had become well known big time journalists, many of them are still around.

The big tv cameras didn't have zoom lenses. They have a bunch of lenses in front and the operator had to rotate a big dial to get the right lens with the suitable focal length to shoot something. The camera used by NBC affiliate to televise the Oswald transfer was like that. The operator started with wide angle, and as Oswald stepped toward the vehicle the director instructed the cameraman to switch to close up. There was a brief blank on the NBC screen as the lens was switched, we got a brief close up of Oswald and then bang. If that cameraman wasn't fast enough, the shot might not had been televised.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Also Cronkite audio came on first while the camera "warmed" up.. Like I warmed up my car today when it was 23 degrees outside.eek.gif