Will HD become as common as IN LIVING COLOR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 81

Reading through a bunch of the thread titles, it struck me that many still consider it a big thing that shows are televised in high definition (HD), or at least worth the effort to type those two extra letters: HD.

Is there still significant prime-time network programming that is not in HD?

At what point does it become of little value knowing that a given prime-time show is in HD and, instead, note which show is standard definition (SD)?

In a way, it reminds me of back in the mid 1960s when color became a big thing, when NBC used 15 seconds of air time before almost every prime-time show to broadcast its In Living Color Peacock. It was just a year or two later when ABC and CBS, the only two other major networks of that time, also jumped on the color bandwagon. And then for years the local TV listings would show when a show was going to be aired in color. It took a long time before it flipped to where it started showing when a program would air in black & white.

It's four years after the mandatory change of full-power stations to digital (ATSC) for over-the-air broadcasts, and digital broadcasts allow the broadcasters to transmit a HD channel. (The cut-off date for full-power stations to stop broadcasting analog (NTSC) over-the-air signals was June 12, 2009.) Now it seems that most major network prime-time shows are broadcast in HD.

So, when do we get to the point of where we switch the expectations from assuming SD unless told otherwise, to HD unless we are told otherwise?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 268
This is the HDTV Programming section, so thread titles should already be handled in the opposite fashion: shows should be assumed to be in HD, unless otherwise noted.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

This is the HDTV Programming section, so thread titles should already be handled in the opposite fashion: shows should be assumed to be in HD, unless otherwise noted.

I agree with you about this section, but I'm also thinking of in TV Guide and other TV listings, not just here.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page