Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
'Atlantis': 'Merlin's' creators take on time-traveling Greek mythology
23 November 2013 2:00 PM, PST | Zap2It - From Inside the Box | See recent Zap2It - From Inside the Box news »

Myths are malleable, and BBC America's "Atlantis" twists ancient ones into new shapes.The lush 13-episode series launches Saturday, Nov. 23. Set on the lost island of Atlantis, it has a filmic look and tremendous fun with Greek myths.

In this, Hercules is an overweight blowhard played by Mark Addy ("Game of Thrones"). Medusa (Jemima Rooper, "Hex"), the hideous Gorgon who had snakes for hair, is now a sweet young woman. And Jason (Jack Donnelly, "Dancing on the Edge") is a hot traveler from the present.

"What struck me most is why hasn't anyone used this material before," Rooper tells Zap2it. "They are reinventing the stories as they want."

Fittingly, the series opens at sea, with Jason on a quest to find his long-lost father, whose submarine disappeared. Jason's small sub spins out of control and crashes, and he washes up, naked, on a foreign shore.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
On my dvr, looking forward to watching it. It has already been renewed for season 2 in the U.K.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 702
First I've heard of it, but it sounds like my kind of thing. Already launched? Will they repeat the first episode?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Repeated tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 176
My wife and I watched it last night and loved it. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously. Mark Addy as Hercules is awesome.
ltownsend likes this.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The 9pm premiere of Atlantis had 0.838 million viewers, a great start. Even if it drops by half in the coming weeks, that would still make Atlantis a success (0.400 million is about the average of past Saturday night hits for BBC America like Orphan Black and Ripper Street).

Edit: BBC America just announced that it has renewed Atlantis for a second season. BBC UK renewed Atlantis last month, so technically I suppose this means BBC America has decided to continue to co-produce the series.
ltownsend and tomhunter8 like this.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
had it on the dvr for a while, watched it today, wasn't overly impressed, but I'll give it a chance. Kinda reminds me of the xena, hercules shows for some reason. Could be a fun show. Good night for me, there is hardly anything I watch on Saturdays, so that is a plus for me.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mark Addy as Hercules - nuff said!biggrin.gif
tomhunter8 likes this.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Old 11-29-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 138

I recorded the episode and got to where Jason would be facing the minotaur. At that point I bailed out thinking it wasn't DVR worthy. Then later, after reading this thread, I thought I might have been too hasty, so I re-recorded it. Now after watching the entire episode I'm up for more fun tomorrow night.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If anybody is interested, there is a repeat of last Saturday's show tonight. I forgot to record it so I'm gonna get it tonight. 11:00 pm ET.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The first episode is also available on BBC America's site if you don't have cable or provider that has BBC America. It seems to be targeted at a teen crowd.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I'm recording but haven't watched E1 yet. Is the show primarily resting on Addy? for him & his booming Robert Baratheon voice, I'll give it a try wink.gif I was just about ready to ditch the series but thought I'd check here smile.gif and that's when I learned he was in the show. re-upping already for S2 also doesn't hurt.

Steve
Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Addy is the star of the show for me simply because I'm a big fan of his from his days on Still Standing. However, this show has three main characters and many recurring supporting characters.

One poster said it's aimed at teenagers, but my wife and I are both in our 50's and we love it. It's a show that has fun with the myths while also providing good action. IMO, it is to Greek mythology what Eureka was to science fiction.
ltownsend and baja7475 like this.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 419
It's meant as a successor to BBC's Merlin, so if you liked that show, you'll probably like this one.