Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Yeah she could be a good choice but not up against Katee. They favor each other in my eyes. I guess you could color the hair.
She played a brunette transsexual(MTF) hit-person in UK series "Hit & Miss", she was very, very good in it. I'm not sure if a second series was ever commissioned, it aired in 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

AMC moved it to the Lifetime Movie Network, the third episode airs tonight. It's a US remake of a Danish crime series.

Lifetime Movie Network?...talk about a demotion...they didn't give it much of a chance before moving it though
Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

Lifetime Movie Network?...talk about a demotion...they didn't give it much of a chance before moving it though
Yeah, it's a goner, at least it looks like they'll air all the episodes.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

It's simple, really. Just think of Kate Mara as the "other" Mara sister. smile.gif Kate is marginally prettier than Rooney but Rooney may be on her way to becoming a great actress. She blew me away in The Social Network did it again in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and has done outstanding work in other films as well.
Agree. Of course, being an "old fart" myself, I'm sure everyone in my generation (especially football fans) know the story behind the two names, 'Rooney Mara.' smile.gif
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Agree. Of course, being an "old fart" myself, I'm sure everyone in my generation (especially football fans) know the story behind the two names, 'Rooney Mara.' smile.gif

especially those of us living in the NY area wink.gif ...oh and I'm not an old fart but I still know about the Mara's smile.gif
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

especially those of us living in the NY area wink.gif ...oh and I'm not an old fart but I still know about the Mara's smile.gif
And the Rooneys?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And the Rooneys?

the Steelers...Mara's- NY Giants
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the Steelers...Mara's- NY Giants
Yep, just checking. smile.gifsmile.gif
Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Without the WAG, or at the very least the semi-WAG, there would be no scientific progress. smile.gif

You mean WAGs didn't walk with dinosaurs a mere 4,000 years ago? I think WAGs can be "by design". SWAGs are more your speed. biggrin.gif

*runs before a Cosmos debate breakes out*

Oh, and I watched MUD last night. Very good imo. Reminded me a little of Stand By Me and Slingblade.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

You mean WAGs didn't walk with dinosaurs a mere 4,000 years ago? I think WAGs can be "by design". SWAGs are more your speed. biggrin.gif

*runs before a Cosmos debate breakes out*

Oh, and I watched MUD last night. Very good imo. Reminded me a little of Stand By Me and Slingblade.
'Mud' was very good.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Quote:

'Mud' was very good.

Mud really is a terrific film. Not only was Matthew McConaughey wonderful (What else is new?), the two young actors who played the boys who had befriended Mud were terrific too. Jacob Lofland, who played Neckbone, has had a continuing role on Justified and has down great work there too.
BoilerJim likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

It's simple, really. Just think of Kate Mara as the "other" Mara sister. smile.gif
If you have the time, check out the YouTube videos of her on the Craig Ferguson show....she is very bright and very witty.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If you have the time, check out the YouTube videos of her on the Craig Ferguson show....she is very bright and very witty.wink.gif

Kate Mara is a fine actress but hasn't had the kind of roles to really let her talent shine like sister Rooney had in The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 689
All I know is whoever mentioned Julia Roberts as a contender in an earlier post must have been using that Medicinal stuff that I keep hearing about .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kate Mara is a fine actress but hasn't had the kind of roles to really let her talent shine like sister Rooney had in The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Agreed.

She was very good in a movie I enjoyed quite a bit: Transsiberian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

All I know is whoever mentioned Julia Roberts as a contender in an earlier post must have been using that Medicinal stuff that I keep hearing about .. tongue.gif
I wasn't going to say anything, but....wink.gif

Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

^ That's just too awesome! biggrin.gif
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Some pals shared this on FB.

http://litreactor.com/columns/footnotes-true-detective
Quote:
Marty Hart and Rust Cohle are the new poster boys for many things: obsession, nihilism, turning empty beer cans into little aluminum creeper men. If you look up, they're even poster boys for this column, surely the most significant accomplishment yet for these backwoods Louisiana cops.

Among all other things, however, Marty Hart and Rust Cohle — as well as True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto and the dark, twisted fantasy he created for HBO — are the new poster boys for the weird and the horrific.

This is not some groundbreaking revelation. Outside of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones — both similar in their themes and cult-like fanbases — I can't recall reading as much philosophical and metaphysical dissection of a particular television show since Reddit became the front page of the Internet. Everywhere you looked, every web page you stumbled upon, someone was writing about this wild animal, this demonic creature that Pizzolatto unleashed on American pop culture.

Like all demons, True Detective was born in the belly of a beast. I know this because I ventured deep into the cavernous depths where this beast was birthed, to find the home of Pizzolatto's weird ass tale of madness.
The best way to measure the impact of True Detective on the weird fiction genre in today's culture is not in television ratings or social media conversation, however. It's by analyzing consumerism.

I logged on to Google and in the search box typed T-h-o-m-a-s-space-L-i-g-o-t-t-i, only I didn't complete the full query. Couldn't. Didn't need to thanks to a kind passerby, a wizardly wizard who waved his magical wizarding stick and showed me all the Thomas L-Is in this deep, dark database. Yes, Google's auto-complete feature showed me the way to the beast's birthplace.

Now, a confession: Before I started slobbering over True Detective — okay, really just McConaughey, but, you know, come on — I'd never heard of Thomas Ligotti, hence my request to Google for its wizardry. Honestly, Ligotti sounds like he runs drugs for one of the Five Families or sits in the back room of the Bada Bing! playing cards with Tony Soprano. But Ligotti is no mobster (as far as you know). Instead, he's the best kept secret in contemporary horror fiction (according to The Washington Post) and the greatest living horror/weird fiction writer (according to the unbiased Ligotti.net).

While primarily known as a fiction writer, Ligotti's nonfiction book, The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, is a major reason True Detective exists. Conspiracy is best described as a philosophical dissertation. Its words are thought-provoking, carefully chosen, and utterly terrifying. Remember that quote from Rust Cohle, in the first episode, when he rants about human consciousness being "a tragic misstep in evolution" and then humanity going all Jonestown on itself and committing mass suicide because it'd be the honorable thing to do?

This is the tragedy: Consciousness has forced us into the paradoxical position of striving to be unselfconscious of what we are — hunks of spoiling flesh on disintegrating bones.

Thomas Ligotti, ladies and gentlemen, the doppelganger for Mr. Rust Cohle.

There are other doppelgangers in this story too. Or, a better way to put it: there's a royal bloodline of weird fiction writers, beginning with Ambrose Bierce.

A journalist turned short story writer, Bierce's major contribution to this story is the fictional city of Carcosa, a major point of mystery and intrigue in True Detective and a trending topic in the heads of fans of the show from pilot to finale.

Bierce introduced Carcosa in his 1886 short story "An Inhabitant of Carcosa," which follows a man wandering through the wilderness pondering the philosophical questions about life and death before he realizes he's — spoiler alert — already dead and walking through the ruins of the ancient city of Carcosa.

Sound familiar? An ancient city, a man wandering through its wilderness, a philosopher of sorts, the mysteries of life and death always running through his head, the answers eluding him until the very end...

Then, there's Robert Chambers, the writer who's been directly tied to, linked to, implicated in, and married to the mythology of True Detective.

It is Chambers who penned The King in Yellow, a book of interconnected short stories about a fictional play that's the literary equivalent of that video in The Ring, turning those who read it into possessed demons who crawl backwards, leaving them with contorted faces. Or something, I don't know.

The term 'Yellow King' is muttered throughout True Detective by heroes and villains alike — along with 'black stars' and 'twin suns' and spirals and Carcosa again — and turns out to be more of a MacGuffin than anything else. The mere mention of the so-called Yellow King spiked a massive amount of interest in the plot — Who killed Laura Palmer Dora Lange? — among viewers, even if no one was revealed to be yellow in color or king in status.

But Chambers's successor was indeed a king. His name was Howard Phillips Lovecraft, and if Bierce and Chambers were ancient royalty, Lovecraft was Henry VIII, the bloodline's most badass ruler.

Lovecraft, of course, is also the czar of weird fiction and the inventor of cosmic horror. When he created his now-famous Cthulhu Mythos, he did so thanks in large part to Chambers's yellow king and Bierce's Carcosa.

It's in Lovecraft's alternate universe — one that's pulpy and macabre, but steeped deeply in reality — that the genre of weird fiction grew. If Bierce birthed the genre and Chambers coddled it, it was Lovecraft who took it to wild parties with booze, bongs, babes, and blood.

While True Detective is now the poster child for the weird fiction genre, it's also ignited interest in the works and authors that came before it. Credit Pizolatto, who's spoken to the direct influences of guys like Bierce, Chambers, and Lovecraft, as well as others, in interviews across the Web.

The best way to measure the impact of True Detective on the weird fiction genre in today's culture is not in television ratings or social media conversation, however. It's by analyzing consumerism.

Take Pizolatto's debut novel Galveston. Although closer in theme and genre to Cormac McCarthy and our friend Joe Lansdale than someone like Lovecraft, it's been in and out of stock on Amazon since True Detective hit the airwaves. Chambers's The King in Yellow has shot to the top of multiple bestseller lists. And I swear I saw Ligotti's Conspiracy in stock on Amazon one day, then out of the stock the next, and it's retained that status for weeks.

It's not surprising that a television show and some —okay, tons of — media coverage could spawn such cultural hysteria. I mean, a graded copy of The Walking Dead no. 1 sells for well over $1,000 on eBay, so there's precedent here.

But The Walking Dead is zombies, man. It's zombies and it's apocalyptic and it's zombies. True Detective is true philosophy, and its themes and images and the words that come from the mouths of its characters are more thought-provoking, more carefully chosen, and more terrifying, because, like its predecessors, it's steeped deeply in reality, so much so that Carcosa is now the desired destination for those of us seeking refuge in the truth about humanity.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
WHAT (Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones — both similar in their themes) How. One is a very real story from the headlines of this age, and the other is a machiavellian drama set to the fantasies of the middle ages. True Detective is a macabre story that can really happen, like the Killing or the Bridge.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Check out True detective soundboard for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theworld.truedetective

Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Brad Pitt is negotiating for next season's lead role (I lost the link).

Arvy
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cool.
Pitt is a superb actor and would be excellent as a gritty detective.
AND Jolie would make the perfect foil as a femme fatale.wink.gif

Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 689
HBO seems to be really trying to position the show as an "Actor's Showcase of Talent" .. certainly, Pitt would make more money in a feature film ..

I hope he lands the role ..
darthrsg likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Today's rumors are Jessica Chastain being the lead.
Keenan likes this.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Today's rumors are Jessica Chastain being the lead.

I've heard that rumor and I've heard it debunked so who knows, but if it's true I'm all for it. Still like Brad Pitt for a role though.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 711
I figured Brad Pitt would be a good bet for S-2. HBO is probably thinking they can build a real mystique and buzz around this series if they can land real A-list movie stars every season. It'd be "must see TV", just what they want.

I'd like to see George Clooney do a really noir-ish P.I. on this series. Bet he'd have a lot of fun with it, probably hit it out of the park.

And why not Meryl Streep, as long as we're dream casting? Think she wouldn't love to play a role like that? Something hard-bitten and calloused. She's never done anything like that before. She'd eat it up.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Jessica Chastain confirms she won't be on S2.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/jessica-chastain-won-true-detective-article-1.1802361

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
When will season 1 come out on bluray....