'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 48 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #1411 of 1430 Old 09-24-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I can't believe you used Lawrence Olivier and 'Under the Dome' in the same sentence ..
But ya gotta admit it was a great analogy!
Young C likes this.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1430 Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
I can't believe you used Lawrence Olivier and 'Under the Dome' in the same sentence ..
Laurence Olivier was in both Clash of the Titans and the Neil Diamond version of The Jazz Singer. He wasn't above cashing a paycheck in schlock.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1413 of 1430 Old 09-26-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
post #1414 of 1430 Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

OMG I'm dying over here. It's so dead on. "We're the truest detectives" LOL

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #1415 of 1430 Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 272
We just binge watched all episode over the holiday break on HBO GO. WOW! What a fantastic series. Could be up there as one of the best TV series ever. Just so well acted. Never had a show make me feel so intense when there is nothing going on in the scene. The anxiety was off the charts at times. Just sooooo good, can't say enough about it.

post #1416 of 1430 Old 12-28-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
We just binge watched all episode over the holiday break on HBO GO. WOW! What a fantastic series. Could be up there as one of the best TV series ever. Just so well acted. Never had a show make me feel so intense when there is nothing going on in the scene. The anxiety was off the charts at times. Just sooooo good, can't say enough about it.
Your post is circular. It has no beginning. It has no ending. It has no meaning. It's probably a mistake. In that respect, it's a lot like time itself, or the human race. Got any smokes? Any beer? If you'll notice, the cross sections of cigarettes and beer cans are circular. What does it all mean? Who knows? I gotta' leave now. Good talk.
daryl zero and andwhatnot like this.
post #1417 of 1430 Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Your post is circular. It has no beginning. It has no ending. It has no meaning. It's probably a mistake. In that respect, it's a lot like time itself, or the human race. Got any smokes? Any beer? If you'll notice, the cross sections of cigarettes and beer cans are circular. What does it all mean? Who knows? I gotta' leave now. Good talk.
Great stuff, Arch .. I gotta learn me some Rust Cohle lingo .. might go over real well at the Gentlemans Club ..

"Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective at proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain. Dulls critical thinking."

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1418 of 1430 Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Great stuff, Arch .. I gotta learn me some Rust Cohle lingo .. might go over real well at the Gentlemans Club ..

"Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective at proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain. Dulls critical thinking."
One of my most favorite scenes in the whole series, Cohle's thoughts on religion are as if he dipped into my brain and pulled them right out of my head, he just nails it! Silly people believing silly things just to get through the day, awesome scene.
post #1419 of 1430 Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
One of my most favorite scenes in the whole series, Cohle's thoughts on religion are as if he dipped into my brain and pulled them right out of my head, he just nails it! Silly people believing silly things just to get through the day, awesome scene.
I feel ya but can still understand why putting faith in the sky man is better than most of the people we have these days. It's like a contest to see who can hate somebody the best for both sides. If only everybody would get on board with Ancient Aliens we could proceed to post nuke pre First Contact Star Trek a little quicker.
post #1420 of 1430 Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yep .. I really hope season two continues the tradition ..

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of $&*#. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the $#@%#@ day? What's that say about your reality? "
archiguy and Keenan like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1421 of 1430 Old 12-30-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Quote:
Yep .. I really hope season two continues the tradition ..

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of $&*#. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the $#@%#@ day? What's that say about your reality? "
Thanks for the reminders, guys! It was a great season, albeit, dare I say it, just the tiniest bit cynical.
post #1422 of 1430 Old 12-30-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Thanks for the reminders, guys! It was a great season, albeit, dare I say it, just the tiniest bit cynical.
Likely one of the reasons I loved the first season .. and, as a cynic, it's going to be tough to top or even equal Season One ..

Uncle Willie

post #1423 of 1430 Old 12-30-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 158
As a cynic, I would say the finale could not and did not equal what preceded it.
acebreathe likes this.
post #1424 of 1430 Old 01-04-2015, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
It was a great season, albeit, dare I say it, just the tiniest bit cynical.
Cynicism is what keeps me from drinking myself to death.

BTW, howdy Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
As a cynic, I would say the finale could not and did not equal what preceded it.
Nice one (and I agree).

Swine are good people too.
post #1425 of 1430 Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Cynicism is what keeps me from drinking myself to death.

BTW, howdy Grey.

Nice one (and I agree).
oink, welcome back! We have missed you.
post #1426 of 1430 Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
oink, welcome back! We have missed you.
It's nice to be back in the herd among friends.

Swine are good people too.
post #1427 of 1430 Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

While we wait for Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell to wreck TD you guys might like The Killing.
post #1428 of 1430 Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
While we wait for Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell to wreck TD you guys might like The Killing.
The Killing is...a mixed bag. Mind you, I've watched every episode and glad I did. The key difference is writing and direction. Both are so much better on TD. TD knew how it wanted to start, middle and end. The Killing did not and it showed sadly. With the Killing a great episode would be followed by a WTF? episode that lost a lot of good will from prior one. But, I would recommend it. I did enjoy the show. 90% of season 1 is excellent and the series finale was really well done. The acting on the show was also really good and some 'unknown' actors like Mirielle Enos and Joel Kinnamen really did a great job while some of my favorite character actors also turned in strong work (Billy Campbell, Gregg Henry, Elias Koteas, Peter Sarsgaard, Jewel Staite, etc.).

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #1429 of 1430 Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
The Killing is...a mixed bag. Mind you, I've watched every episode and glad I did. The key difference is writing and direction. Both are so much better on TD. TD knew how it wanted to start, middle and end. The Killing did not and it showed sadly. With the Killing a great episode would be followed by a WTF? episode that lost a lot of good will from prior one. But, I would recommend it. I did enjoy the show. 90% of season 1 is excellent and the series finale was really well done. The acting on the show was also really good and some 'unknown' actors like Mirielle Enos and Joel Kinnamen really did a great job while some of my favorite character actors also turned in strong work (Billy Campbell, Gregg Henry, Elias Koteas, Peter Sarsgaard, Jewel Staite, etc.).
That's what I said.
post #1430 of 1430 Unread Today, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Just worked through The Fall and it's a nice compact procedural story. It's very Manhunter-Lite. I enjoyed The Killing more and you can just watch the first two seasons if you don't want to commit to the full series. Both should help pass the time until TD returns and the outrage over lady ghostbusters dies down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page