'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 50 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1471 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
An ancient argument but I find it is the Trinity (Writing, Acting and Direction) Without the first two the Director has nothing to assemble and the other 2 cannot get though without the symbiosis.
I would add in location/environment to that as well. The Louisiana locations used in the first series was a large part of the appeal of the show for me.

Conflicting reports of exactly where this second series takes place is concerning to me. The Big Sur area, the Central Valley, LA and Ventura County. That's a lot of very different locations and it's a bit hard to imagine it's going to cover all those places in a 10 episode series.
TitusTroy likes this.
Keenan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 29,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Conflicting reports of exactly where this second series takes place is concerning to me. The Big Sur area, the Central Valley, LA and Ventura County. That's a lot of very different locations and it's a bit hard to imagine it's going to cover all those places in a 10 episode series.
They don't have to be location-specific.
Calif. is a big place with a huge diversity of environments in relatively close proximity to each other.
Simply identifying it as "California" would be enough IMO.
OTOH, for those who are not familiar with the State it may seem confusing...

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #1473 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,992
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 960
I used to watch a show where California looked a lot like Kentucky.
acebreathe likes this.
archiguy is offline  
post #1474 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
They don't have to be location-specific.
Calif. is a big place with a huge diversity of environments in relatively close proximity to each other.
Simply identifying it as "California" would be enough IMO.
OTOH, for those who are not familiar with the State it may seem confusing...
What I'm concerned about is that if it's really that widespread location-wise it won't allow much time for the location itself to play a part in the story the way it did in the first series. At least it won't be shot on the same stultifyingly boring studio backlots we see in so many LA located shows. I hope it doesn't anyway.
Keenan is offline  
post #1475 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I used to watch a show where California looked a lot like Kentucky.
Right, the point being though I want the location where they shoot to be that location, not a representation of somewhere else. In other words, let the real location play its part in the story and not have Saugus used to imitate a Kentucky holler.
Keenan is offline  
post #1476 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 29,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I used to watch a show where California looked a lot like Kentucky.
Yes, you did.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
What I'm concerned about is that if it's really that widespread location-wise it won't allow much time for the location itself to play a part in the story the way it did in the first series.
True enough.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Right, the point being though I want the location where they shoot to be that location, not a representation of somewhere else. In other words, let the real location play its part in the story and not have Saugus used to imitate a Kentucky holler.
Justified couldn't really have been filmed in KY.
The showrunners wouldn't have been able to find enough smart people to fill the necessary Support Staff.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #1477 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 675
^ Ouch!
Keenan is offline  
post #1478 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 29,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
^ Ouch!
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #1479 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The Louisiana locations used in the first series was a large part of the appeal of the show for me.

Conflicting reports of exactly where this second series takes place is concerning to me. The Big Sur area, the Central Valley, LA and Ventura County. That's a lot of very different locations and it's a bit hard to imagine it's going to cover all those places in a 10 episode series.

agreed...this new big city Cali setting does not grab me in the same way that Louisiana did...last season had a very artsy, poetic feel to it which was aided by the beautiful cinematography...the trailers for Season 2 make it look like any Law and Order or CSI episode
TitusTroy is offline  
post #1480 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 9,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
I do hope they get deep into the human trafficking stuff. The previous season struck a nerve with nearly everyone I talked to about it. The uber religious refuse to believe any of their type would do any of the stuff depicted in S1 and the rich refuse to believe they can't hide forever. We had several deep water cooler talks in the office with cops and civilians on that stuff.
darthrsg is online now  
post #1481 of 1486 Old 05-17-2015, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 29,100
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
the rich refuse to believe they can't hide forever.
In DuHmerica they will.


Quote:
We had several deep water cooler talks in the office with cops
Cops?

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is offline  
post #1482 of 1486 Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I hope they find a way to work Alexandra Daddario into this season
saeyedoc is online now  
post #1483 of 1486 Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I hope they find a way to work Alexandra Daddario into this season
Probably not, but there will a fox or two to look at, I'm sure....

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #1484 of 1486 Old 05-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Someone kindly help me remember Season 1.

I loved it, the tone, the story, the personal stuff but am having trouble remembering the relationship between the perp (Reggie LeDoux) that Woody shot in the head in '95 and the ultimate perp (Childress guy) they had the showdown with at the end.

Were they in cahoots? Or was Reggie's operation a whole different thing?

EDIT - N/m, I looked it up, they were in it together and the girl victim who lived ID'd the third guy.

Last edited by djb5f; 05-20-2015 at 11:21 AM.
djb5f is online now  
post #1485 of 1486 Unread Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jcmccorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Madison, AL, USA
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My wife and I started watching True Detective a few days ago. We'd heard nothing about it before but recently added HBO (for GoT) so we saw the teasers for season 2. Justified is over, and we thought "what the heck". We ended up watching all 8 episodes over the last 3 days. Woah. How come you guys didn't tell me about this one? We loved it and can't figure out how this one slipped under the radar. Looking forward to the next season.

Cary
Young C likes this.
jcmccorm is online now  
post #1486 of 1486 Unread Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
My wife and I started watching True Detective a few days ago. We'd heard nothing about it before but recently added HBO (for GoT) so we saw the teasers for season 2. Justified is over, and we thought "what the heck". We ended up watching all 8 episodes over the last 3 days. Woah. How come you guys didn't tell me about this one? We loved it and can't figure out how this one slipped under the radar. Looking forward to the next season.

Cary
There was an entire season of posts with nothing but great commentary. Where were you? Keep in mind that season 2 will encompass an entirely new venue (California) and a whole new cast....

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off