'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 51 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1501 of 1506 Old Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Skanky? That seems a bit harsh, do you know either of them personally to substantiate that description?

Are you being serious? Not being snarky, just asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1506 Old Today, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Are you being serious? Not being snarky, just asking.
I just think it's a dated and derogatory term used to stereotype a group of people based on what they do for a living. It denotes that there's something dirty or undesirable about them, it's just not a term I would use.
post #1503 of 1506 Old Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
They can probably shoot in more than one location at a time, depending upon the budget.
Yes, no doubt, but what I was getting at is if there're too many locations it will reduce the time spent in those locations and reduce the value and or possible interaction of the location in the overall story itself. Would the first series of TD have been anywhere near as good if it was located in say, New York City, Long Island and parts of New Jersey? I loved the fact the environment played a substantial part in the story and I'm hoping that dynamic is not reduced to just boucing around a bunch of different locations in California diluting the effect and atmosphere of the locations they do use. In other words, use too many locations and the locations themselves end up adding nothing to the story, they could be Anywhere, USA and it would have zero influence or importance to the story.

I'm still going to watch every episode though!
jazzycat likes this.
post #1504 of 1506 Old Today, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes, no doubt, but what I was getting at is if there're too many locations it will reduce the time spent in those locations and reduce the value and or possible interaction of the location in the overall story itself. Would the first series of TD have been anywhere near as good if it was located in say, New York City, Long Island and parts of New Jersey? I loved the fact the environment played a substantial part in the story and I'm hoping that dynamic is not reduced to just boucing around a bunch of different locations in California diluting the effect and atmosphere of the locations they do use. In other words, use too many locations and the locations themselves end up adding nothing to the story, they could be Anywhere, USA and it would have zero influence or importance to the story.

I'm still going to watch every episode though!
Gotcha. I misunderstood what you were saying. Personally, I love California and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the locations, particularly Big Sur. I love that place. I hope they do a lot of the filming there.

I watched the show for the first time a few weeks ago over a few days. I thought it was very well done and atmospheric.
Keenan likes this.
post #1505 of 1506 Old Today, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
I just think it's a dated and derogatory term used to stereotype a group of people based on what they do for a living. It denotes that there's something dirty or undesirable about them, it's just not a term I would use.

Jeez, I cant argue with you if you are going to be that nice. I had a modified American Psycho line ready to go too.
post #1506 of 1506 Old Today, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Jeez, I cant argue with you if you are going to be that nice. I had a modified American Psycho line ready to go too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming