'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
post #1531 of 1533 Old Today, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Except that today, we have a society that's been completely dumbed down in a lot of ways that didn't exist 40 and 50 years ago. People may have been more innocent and naive in many ways, but they weren't ignorant and stupid. (OK, some people were, but a lot of that could be explained by lack of education, but today even supposedly "educated" people are ignorant about a lot of things. I blame mass media.) So we might have people who are smarter about technology and things like that, but many of them are completely ignorant about history, even history that happened a few short decades ago. It's very sad.

And what is really frightening, is how many people in government today don't know much about science, but they sit on science committees in government and make policy about science. If you sit on a government committee, shouldn't it be a requirement to understand the material? And many of them are religious zealots. We've been moving entirely in the wrong direction with that regard. I have to ask myself if they really believe this stuff, or if they understand how to use it to control people, but don't actually believe it at all.

Exactly. But I disagree that it's harder today. It seems to me that they control the masses very easily today through mass media of all types. There is so much propaganda and misinformation out there, and people will believe what they see and read without thinking about it even if it makes no sense logically. And if something challenges their long held beliefs they simply disregard it because it's too uncomfortable for them to see the logic. Cognitive dissonance is alive and well.
Although these type screeds drifting into political and religious areas are generally frowned upon on AVS, I'll simply say that everything you mention has been that way for a long, long time ..

You discount the fact that information is more readily accessible now than at any time in History .. "Arab Spring" .. ??

Cognitive dissonance .. ?? It never died .. you have it, I have it, we all have it ..
jazzycat likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1533 Old Today, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Although these type screeds drifting into political and religious areas are generally frowned upon on AVS, I'll simply say that everything you mention has been that way for a long, long time ..

You discount the fact that information is more readily accessible now than at any time in History .. "Arab Spring" .. ??

Cognitive dissonance .. ?? It never died .. you have it, I have it, we all have it ..
yea, I never would've gone there if someone else didn't mention it first. My apologies. I elaborated, and I should've left it alone. I'll try to refrain in the future.
post #1533 of 1533 Unread Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Except that today, we have a society that's been completely dumbed down in a lot of ways that didn't exist 40 and 50 years ago. People may have been more innocent and naive in many ways, but they weren't ignorant and stupid. (OK, some people were, but a lot of that could be explained by lack of education, but today even supposedly "educated" people are ignorant about a lot of things. I blame mass media.) So we might have people who are smarter about technology and things like that, but many of them are completely ignorant about history, even history that happened a few short decades ago. It's very sad.
Amen to that....

Quote:
And what is really frightening, is how many people in government today don't know much about science, but they sit on science committees in government and make policy about science. If you sit on a government committee, shouldn't it be a requirement to understand the material? And many of them are religious zealots. We've been moving entirely in the wrong direction with that regard. I have to ask myself if they really believe this stuff, or if they understand how to use it to control people, but don't actually believe it at all.
They are put there by The Money People.

Anyway, let's get back to the show (before the Mods show up).

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page