'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 530Likes

Old 06-30-2015, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I'm taking an interest in the CHP cop. There was a passing reference to some relationship to a vague Blackwater(?) outfit "in the desert," which he refused to discuss. There may be a badass hiding in there somewhere and as he is apparently only thrown in the mix to fail doesn't that mean he will be integral in the resolution?

The show has already got us guessing and uncovering hidden clues (the guy in the mask/picture), so it is off to a good start. My enjoyment went up exponentially when we turned on the CC feature so we caught more of the mumbled dialog. I should go back for what I missed.
134LRS likes this.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
My enjoyment went up exponentially when we turned on the CC feature so we caught more of the mumbled dialog. I should go back for what I missed.
I will be doing a rewatch for that very purpose.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
When Velcro was shot, I got a sense of relief, as if a great weight had been lifted off of the show. Then I realized this wasn't GoT and it was highly unlikely he was killed.
oink likes this.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The dialog so far has been laughable. Or maybe it is Vince Vaughn. I really like him in comedic roles but I am not finding him believable in this one. I also felt that the opening scene with him talking about being gnawed by a rat was so poor.

They are pulling out every possible cliche so far. This usually means there is a lack of substance. We shall see.

David M.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
The Avengers Made Up of Dark Police is off to a pretty good start. It's so dark I'm glad I'm watching on a plasma to really see how dark it is. It's full of nice esoteric symbolism already but I'm sure that ship has sailed due to no Lovecraftian portal monster last season.
JudgeSmails likes this.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4543 Post(s)
Liked: 3972
The symbolism most likely related to the mason angle they are working this season.

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I think old Vince is doing a pretty good job.

Frequently I think I see resemblances in people that aren't really there, but it really seemed to me that the second woman who says "I am an American" in episode one might have been Mila Kunis.

CW Hinkle
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
I think old Vince is doing a pretty good job.

Frequently I think I see resemblances in people that aren't really there, but it really seemed to me that the second woman who says "I am an American" in episode one might have been Mila Kunis.
Agree, I'm not really finding any major faults and I have been pretty hesitant to accept VV. Overall there's a really cool noir feel to things maybe more so than S1.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
The dialog so far has been laughable. Or maybe it is Vince Vaughn. I really like him in comedic roles but I am not finding him believable in this one. I also felt that the opening scene with him talking about being gnawed by a rat was so poor.

They are pulling out every possible cliche so far. This usually means there is a lack of substance. We shall see.
I liked that scene, and think VV has done a very good job so far. Goes to show how subjective this stuff is.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I agree, but in this worn genre some elements are inevitably going to veer into old-hat territory.

I have no doubt that there will be a decent payoff for watching this, but right now I'm almost more interested in finding out what cancers the kids playing in toxic waste will develop in the following decades than anything else.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I was wondering if he had Kevlar on under his shirt.

Also, there was a large picture of a crow or a person wearing a similar crow mask in the background of the psychiatrist's office, which was visible behind Velcoro, I pointed it out to my wife that it was a weird piece of art. It wasn't until later I remembered the crow mask on the seat in the car transporting Caspere's body in the first episode.
I went back and looked at the painting but did not make out crow's mask. Could be my poor eyes, I guess.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
I went back and looked at the painting but did not make out crow's mask. Could be my poor eyes, I guess.
Here's a screencap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 6.15.56 PM.png
Views:	147
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	805322  
Snafu68 likes this.

David Forbes

Read excerpts, see cover art and more from my novels at www.davidforbes.net.

My theater
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
When Velcro was shot, I got a sense of relief, as if a great weight had been lifted off of the show. Then I realized this wasn't GoT and it was highly unlikely he was killed.
Actually, GoT has been pretty creative with deaths or what people can survive. Sansa and Theon jump from a wall ~8 stories high and yeah, they are suppose to be fine?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post
Actually, GoT has been pretty creative with deaths or what people can survive. Sansa and Theon jump from a wall ~8 stories high and yeah, they are suppose to be fine?

This isn't the thread for this but, it's not far from reality....

Either way it's best not to discuss details (in a different shows thread) as some people don't watch until the BR is out.

Sent from nowhere
Old 06-30-2015, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Woah, that was a quick pull, you had that ready. Huge snow bank there but still crazy.

Yeah, I'd go back and add a spoiler tags but I don't know how offhand, not much of a spoiler (debatable), and you have it quoted now too.
Ph8te likes this.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 PM

I've seen the video and it was brought up in a podcast I listen to. It was "perfect timing" anyways back to TD!!

Sent from nowhere
Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
watched it again last night-that second blast was direct, and a shot gun blast that close is gonna be fatal.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 3927
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
watched it again last night-that second blast was direct, and a shot gun blast that close is gonna be fatal.
Do you really think they will kill off one of the headlining actors and many viewers favorite character so far in the 2nd episode?

And the pantaloon duck, white gooseneck quacked: Webcor, Webcor
Old 07-01-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Do you really think they will kill off one of the headlining actors and many viewers favorite character so far in the 2nd episode?

Why not? We get so caught up in the "fact" that they can't kill a main character. It would be ballsy if they did.

(I should note I've already said he's alive )

Sent from nowhere
Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
I agree, but in this worn genre some elements are inevitably going to veer into old-hat territory.

I have no doubt that there will be a decent payoff for watching this, but right now I'm almost more interested in finding out what cancers the kids playing in toxic waste will develop in the following decades than anything else.
When I was a kid, we were playing in or around that kind of stuff all the time and I turned out just fine:

Spoiler!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Here's a screencap.
Possible, but obscure...intentionally? Maybe the director was planning on less observant viewers before revealing Dr. Piltor was involved?

Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
Doesn't a shot gun just pump out little pellets? They're harmless

Seriously, if Ray is dead that would be the biggest and ballsiest double reverse fake in TV history. I don't think they did it, because they have not bothered to build another character as compelling. Do we want to watch Rachel McAdams try to bull build rapport with Taylor Kitsch for six episodes?

Either: Ray was wearing a vest, though why would he, considering he was borderline suicidal and didn't seem too concerned about checking out the dead guy's f___ pad anyway). It also requires the killer to be crafty enough to get the drop on Ray but dumb enough to not notice that the guy got shot twice and was not a bloody mess.

Or: the killer used rock salt / rubber bullet. Would a gun owner explain why someone would do that? I mean you get a gun for home protection or target shooting / hunting, right? Are rubber bullets good for any of that? A guy breaks into your home, if he is armed you have to assume he has live ammo, do you want to go up against him with non lethal rounds? Maybe if the shooter knew before hand Ray would be there and was confident he could jump him.

So yeah I didn't like that "twist." If it were a real twist, then they just got rid of their most compelling character and best actor (Colin Farrell is really hitting it. He arguably is doing a better job than even Matthew M. because he does not have as flashy a role and as many cool speeches. He's totally believable as a guy at the end of his rope.) If it's a fake, the explanation for Ray being alive will be kind of shaky.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I agree, it will be a TV miracle-but remember Boardwalk Empire- and them killing off main characters. I guess we'll have to wait.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Doesn't a shot gun just pump out little pellets? They're harmless

Seriously, if Ray is dead that would be the biggest and ballsiest double reverse fake in TV history. I don't think they did it, because they have not bothered to build another character as compelling. Do we want to watch Rachel McAdams try to bull build rapport with Taylor Kitsch for six episodes?

Either: Ray was wearing a vest, though why would he, considering he was borderline suicidal and didn't seem too concerned about checking out the dead guy's f___ pad anyway). It also requires the killer to be crafty enough to get the drop on Ray but dumb enough to not notice that the guy got shot twice and was not a bloody mess.

Or: the killer used rock salt / rubber bullet. Would a gun owner explain why someone would do that? I mean you get a gun for home protection or target shooting / hunting, right? Are rubber bullets good for any of that? A guy breaks into your home, if he is armed you have to assume he has live ammo, do you want to go up against him with non lethal rounds? Maybe if the shooter knew before hand Ray would be there and was confident he could jump him.

So yeah I didn't like that "twist." If it were a real twist, then they just got rid of their most compelling character and best actor (Colin Farrell is really hitting it. He arguably is doing a better job than even Matthew M. because he does not have as flashy a role and as many cool speeches. He's totally believable as a guy at the end of his rope.) If it's a fake, the explanation for Ray being alive will be kind of shaky.
as a vet and shotgun user-those "little pellets" are thrown at very high velocity, and he shot him at about 10ft, then then second was direct. The depiction of Caspare and his boys blasted off are an indicator. There are different size loads for ammo, but, it is a deadly weapon none the less, and that was not rocksalt, from the way his body reacted.
A very real depiction can be seen in the Godfather 2 where Vito's mother is shot by one.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
For the second shot, the shooter walked right up to him and shot him in the lower abdomen. Even if he was wearing a vest (which I seriously doubt), the killer could see it and shoot beneath it.

Even if it was a rubber bullet, a direct impact that close would cause enough internal hemorrhaging to kill him.

He should be dead. I will be very disappointed if this is a fake-out and he lives.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 AM

Either way you look at it, it's a pretty dumb move by the showrunners.

I am fairly certain in no way is Ray dead.
It will be explained away as rubber bullets.
The explanation will be the baddies did not want to kill him....just to scare him off.
Of course, sneaking up behind an armed cop to shoot him at 10ft. is hardly credible.
More reasonable would have been to shoot at him with the rubber ammo from a distance and a moving car.
But that's just too logical for this show.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
For the second shot, the shooter walked right up to him and shot him in the lower abdomen. Even if he was wearing a vest (which I seriously doubt), the killer could see it and shoot beneath it.

Even if it was a rubber bullet, a direct impact that close would cause enough internal hemorrhaging to kill him.

He should be dead. I will be very disappointed if this is a fake-out and he lives.
I agree, judging by that second shot he would have some seriously damaged internal organs and/or pelvic damage if not actually dead. Even if still alive I can't see how it would possible for him to be in an upright/standing position at any time during the remainder of the show. Maybe he's going to help solve the case from his hospital bed.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
How about Janet Leigh in Psycho? Such things happen. Lets the audience know they can't get too complacent.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I agree, judging by that second shot he would have some seriously damaged internal organs and/or pelvic damage if not actually dead. Even if still alive I can't see how it would possible for him to be in an upright/standing position at any time during the remainder of the show. Maybe he's going to help solve the case from his hospital bed.
OK, maybe those shotgun rounds were actually nerf balls?
But I'm tellin' ya, we will see him up and runnin' again.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post

That shot was meant us to think back to the guys body who was found (same M.O.) while I would applaud them for killing him, I don't think they are ready to pull something like that yet.

Sent from nowhere
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement