'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 446Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,451
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
that's great, except almost all of those are connected, and hence... the point.
My "point" exactly...yawn.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
It would appear that the bad guys were instructed to kill everyone but our 3 heroes. Someone wants them alive. Or this is just a bad parody of season 1.
LOL

Quote:
Loved watching Bezzerides lead her male troops through a hail of bullets. Nothing scaredy cat about her.
One tough babe...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
This was dramatic coincidence, I was hoping that at least one other person wouldn't be dead.
Our 3 leads couldn't die this early in the series, it would break Hollywood Rule #829 .

Quote:
I did have a problem with the way people reacted with heavy gunfire going on. They were instructed to get down and move, yet we saw multiple people just standing. I get some would be "stunned" in shock, but it seemed that they didn't move till someone got shot right next to them.
The shock lasts maybe a second and a half, then everyone runs and hides.
(seen too many Iraq and Afghanistan videos on LiveLeak.com)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
Now oink is a persuasive fellow, but just because he sez it don't necessarily make it so...
Wait, WHAT?

Quote:
I don't care so much about the components oink cites as how they interrelate.
Hey, what can I say...swine can be very sensitive.

Quote:
And I find it unlikely that in that sort of shootout that the bad guys would know (or care) who to shoot and who to spare.
With automatic gunfire, each bullet can be aimed with precision thru an old malady known as HWNUGS (Hollywood Writer's Nonsensical Understanding of Gunfire Syndrome).
It was first noticed about 100 years ago with the old gangster flicks.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain wrong...I'm an American.
oink is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,378
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


Our 3 leads couldn't die this early in the series, it would break Hollywood Rule #829 .

someone obviously forgot to tell GOT that

Yes I know it would break that long standing rule, I would hope someone however would see the popularity of GoT and its ability to kill off almost anyone and take a chance. People backlash will be short as long as you bring in someone else to "cover" for that loss. It's kind of good to have that feeling that no one is safe.


Sent from nowhere
acebreathe likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #1893 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,451
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
someone obviously forgot to tell GOT that
I think the reason for GOT being excluded from that rule is the series is following GRRM's novels (for the most part).

Quote:
It's kind of good to have that feeling that no one is safe.
Absolutely agree.
Ph8te likes this.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain wrong...I'm an American.
oink is online now  
post #1894 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 111
For me, the primary scene in the episode was Velcoro explaining the facts of life to Bezziredes...that the detectives were chosen to be there at the end to "take the fall" when the DA settled on the correct payoff from Mayor Chessani was revelatory to this slow viewer and also cast Velcoro in a different light as he comes out of his alcohol fog.

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is online now  
post #1895 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 15,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 810
I agree that the crazy Hispanics with the automatic weapons didn't have a hidden agenda. They acted as if they were high on crack, which they may indeed have been. Anyway, I loved the shootout scene. Thought it was exciting as hell and exceptionally well done.

I think it's a mistake to compare this show's unwillingness to kill off point of view characters with Game of Thrones' willingness to kill a bunch of them. Here, there are only three POV characters whereas there are exponentially more of them in Game of Thrones.
gwsat is online now  
post #1896 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,378
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that the crazy Hispanics with the automatic weapons didn't have a hidden agenda. They acted as if they were high on crack, which they may indeed have been. Anyway, I loved the shootout scene. Thought it was exciting as hell and exceptionally well done.

I think it's a mistake to compare this show's unwillingness to kill off point of view characters with Game of Thrones' willingness to kill a bunch of them. Here, there are only three POV characters whereas there are exponentially more of them in Game of Thrones.

Cook House= Meth

As for the characters saying "only" 3 we act as if there couldn't be 1 or 2. The great thing about GOT is that it will bring a periphery character to the forefront to make them a "main" character. We get so caught up in the way things have always been done, that we get "scared" when someone tries to do something different. I for one enjoy the suspense knowing that actions have consequences. A main character in the story should have just as much of a chance to get killed as an extra. This bring gritty realism to an already gritty show.


Sent from nowhere
ApolloCreed likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #1897 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Member
 
WLGeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Folks keep speaking about the cops that were shot. I didn't think any of the main characters were gonna die and do not have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the latest person being sought after in this investigation ends up being executed by the same people that wanted him for questioning so badly they couldn't wait and tried to storm his whereabouts. I am thinking this too was a setup for failure by the corrupt puppeteers.
WLGeter is offline  
post #1898 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,378
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
For me, the primary scene in the episode was Velcoro explaining the facts of life to Bezziredes...that the detectives were chosen to be there at the end to "take the fall" when the DA settled on the correct payoff from Mayor Chessani was revelatory to this slow viewer and also cast Velcoro in a different light as he comes out of his alcohol fog.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WLGeter View Post
Folks keep speaking about the cops that were shot. I didn't think any of the main characters were gonna die and do not have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the latest person being sought after in this investigation ends up being executed by the same people that wanted him for questioning so badly they couldn't wait and tried to storm his whereabouts. I am thinking this too was a setup for failure by the corrupt puppeteers.

Take a look at the previous post I think it sums up what is going on and your feelings well. These detectives were not chosen to succeed, but to ultimately fail and "stall" the investigation.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #1899 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 76
My problem is not that none of the 3 leads died. I really didn't expect anyone to - I actually expected them to shine in this situation and show some mettle and why they are the leads here. This isn't GoT where anyone can die at any time - plus we've only spent a few episodes with these characters arcs and they are still being built up - unlike GoT where they kill off a character that's been useless after countless episodes and it's considered shocking. These characters should have shined in the shootout and they did that by surviving mostly.

My main problem was with the freeze frame at the end. Miami Vice 80's style. It was laughable (that and Rachel McAdam's character's speech about catching "memories". Not EVERYONE can be Rust Cohle guys!

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
gamermwm is offline  
post #1900 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barth2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Up until the shootout I thought the ep was just really inert and lethargic. The shootout woke me up. It's a good shootout -- for television -- but it's not great or anything. Just once, I'd like to see somebody hides behind a car while being machine gunned and a bullet rips right through and hits him (especially when the gunner is shooting down!) The bystander getting shot was kind of annoying. Note to self: if you hear explosion then gunfire THEN see a guy with machine gun, run or get the f### down. As a matter of fact, any of these by itself should be a signal to MOVE. Don't be that guy!

I didn't expect one of the principles to get killed, but having like all the other LEOs down and the three unscathed was a bit much.

Beyond that, it was sort of cheap thrill because who are these guys. Unknown bunch vaguely related to the pimp that pawned the dead guy's stuff. I remember last year's raid didn't turn out to have much to do with the main case either. It's the obligatory season's shootout.
adpayne and paranoyd androyd like this.
barth2k is offline  
post #1901 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 831
I thought it was interesting to see that while Velcoro and Bezzerides seemed to be rather shaken up after the shootout Woodrugh acted like he was on auto-pilot, just another day in Iraq.
eddie_d_lopez and adpayne like this.
Keenan is offline  
post #1902 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,378
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Up until the shootout I thought the ep was just really inert and lethargic. The shootout woke me up. It's a good shootout -- for television -- but it's not great or anything. Just once, I'd like to see somebody hides behind a car while being machine gunned and a bullet rips right through and hits him (especially when the gunner is shooting down!) The bystander getting shot was kind of annoying. Note to self: if you hear explosion then gunfire THEN see a guy with machine gun, run or get the f### down. As a matter of fact, any of these by itself should be a signal to MOVE. Don't be that guy!

I didn't expect one of the principles to get killed, but having like all the other LEOs down and the three unscathed was a bit much.

Beyond that, it was sort of cheap thrill because who are these guys. Unknown bunch vaguely related to the pimp that pawned the dead guy's stuff. I remember last year's raid didn't turn out to have much to do with the main case either. It's the obligatory season's shootout.

One of them WAS the guy who they were trying to get (the bald one at the end). It was his "crew" that started the shootout. The show attempted to show/tell us that these men were involved in the murder somehow (murder for hire). They also happen to be meth dealers, so the explosion occurred and following shootout. This connects the murder to a known gang entity which may connect to someone else trying to disconnect themselves from the murder (of course).

They actually did have a few kills that way (people hiding and getting shot because of angle). Of course most of the mains were in no real harm


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is online now  
post #1903 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Boy oh boy at all the illuminati stuff in that episode!

Spoiler!


At about 8:50 the overhead shot exposes the triangle.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
darthrsg is offline  
post #1904 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,451
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
My main problem was with the freeze frame at the end. Miami Vice 80's style. It was laughable (that and Rachel McAdam's character's speech about catching "memories". Not EVERYONE can be Rust Cohle guys!
More eye-rollers...



Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Just once, I'd like to see somebody hides behind a car while being machine gunned and a bullet rips right through and hits him (especially when the gunner is shooting down!)
NEVER happen (Hollywood Rule #291 ).


Quote:
Note to self: if you hear explosion then gunfire THEN see a guy with machine gun, run or get the f### down. As a matter of fact, any of these by itself should be a signal to MOVE. Don't be that guy!
LOL.


Quote:
I didn't expect one of the principles to get killed, but having like all the other LEOs down and the three unscathed was a bit much.
Hollywood Rule #644 .



Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I thought it was interesting to see that while Velcoro and Bezzerides seemed to be rather shaken up after the shootout Woodrugh acted like he was on auto-pilot, just another day in Iraq.
Noticed that too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Boy oh boy at all the illuminati stuff in that episode!

Spoiler!


At about 8:50 the overhead shot exposes the triangle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AyMkoyiFM
Link dead.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain wrong...I'm an American.
oink is online now  
post #1905 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Link dead.
Have to go to YT to see it.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
darthrsg is offline  
post #1906 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 277
The show just freed up a chunk of payroll.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #1907 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OggideM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
The show just freed up a chunk of payroll.
?....

Quit failing to flip the switch
OggideM is offline  
post #1908 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taxman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Great Hollywood shoot em up! I guess I wasnt the only one that was woken up by the shootout. Bezzerides = Wonder Woman At least they showed the main cops reloading and none of this never run out of bullets mentality..

taxman48 is offline  
post #1909 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
?....
A lot of actors "died" in the shootout. I believe a few of them were 2nd tier players, and not just throw one-offs hired for the episode.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #1910 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 31,451
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
A lot of actors "died" in the shootout. I believe a few of them were 2nd tier players, and not just throw one-offs hired for the episode.
AND we should respect their sacrifice.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain wrong...I'm an American.
oink is online now  
post #1911 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
paranoyd androyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: S.F.
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 75
this episode was simply awful and the shootout was a cheap tactic to try and hold the audience's attention. this season continues to lack a hook and the plot has become irrelevant as a result. despite it being the "point" of season, the audience simply doesn't care anymore about how all the side stories will inevitably relate because none of them were interesting to begin with.
paranoyd androyd is offline  
post #1912 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12,378
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2448 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
^^^ "the audience" considering I'm one of the audience I think your statement may need editing


Sent from nowhere
gwsat likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #1913 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
^^^ "the audience" considering I'm one of the audience I think your statement may need editing


Sent from nowhere
yep, he's only 'one' of the audience....
Ph8te likes this.

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #1914 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
A lot of actors "died" in the shootout. I believe a few of them were 2nd tier players, and not just throw one-offs hired for the episode.
Wasn't the fat partner of Velcoro the first to go?

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is online now  
post #1915 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I think so, but it all happened so fast I'm not sure. It did seem like many of the survivors looked back at some of those hit and not others. We should also keep in mind how Velcoro recovered so quickly. IOW, some might not be dead, vests and all.

Last edited by Garrett Adams; 07-14-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #1916 of 2378 Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 29,613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 831
It looked like Velcoro's partner Teague took one to the head so he's either dead or has a really, really bad headache.
taxman48 and Ph8te like this.
Keenan is offline  
post #1917 of 2378 Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OggideM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It looked like Velcoro's partner Teague took one to the head so he's either dead or has a really, really bad headache.

W Earl Brown is credited for all 8 episodes.
hmmmm
Keenan likes this.

Quit failing to flip the switch
OggideM is offline  
post #1918 of 2378 Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Was it just the three standing.
Phil17108 is offline  
post #1919 of 2378 Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 10,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM View Post
W Earl Brown is credited for all 8 episodes.
hmmmm
Yusss. Illuminati, Bohemian Grove, the dead rising.....the Truest Detectives! We got ourselves an egghunt!!!!

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
darthrsg is offline  
post #1920 of 2378 Old 07-14-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
What makes one stylized dialog good and another clunky. I don't know, but I know it when I hear it. Just like I'm not a singer and can't play any musical instrument but I can tell when someone is off key or plays a wrong note.
After last night's episode, I'd have to take back my original comment, and agree with you. Half of the dialog was downright painful to listen to. The shootout was a mixed bag as well. Why would any of the bystanders still be walking around after 2 minutes of machine gun fire?

I like all the actors, including VV, but they sure aren't given much to work with at this point.

I'll stick it out to the end, but only because I'm a masochist.
adpayne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off