'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 490Likes

Old 07-16-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
After the guy started shooting at them from the window, it was clear they were out gunned. They still kept it going with the car chase etc, still out gunned.
We have seen that for real here in the LA area. 2 guys in body armor with M15/16 took on the LAPD and lost in the end but sure made a lot of noise. The cops did not have body armor or the automatic weapons, they do now I understand. It was on live TV. From my stand point the shot out was not that far out.
allargon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
We have seen that for real here in the LA area. 2 guys in body armor with M15/16 took on the LAPD and lost in the end but sure made a lot of noise. The cops did not have body armor or the automatic weapons, they do now I understand. It was on live TV. From my stand point the shot out was not that far out.
Remember seeing that many times on TV, the way CNN frequently re-runs 'action video' these days, too. Fairly sure they tried simulating that shootout in the film "Heat." Made me wonder, not catching the dialog before they began the TD gun battle, why they didn't use SWAT (special weapons and tactics), as I mentioned earlier . But then we'd have missed that nice 'OK corral' shot, with the woman honcho in those tight jeans, leading her boys down the street. SWAT could have snuck snipers with silencers and bullet shields into the opposite building from the bad guys. Then again, in Hollywood terms, they'd probably leave out the silencers/shields so a few police snipers could get popped. And on second thought I probably should have put a at the end of my last post. -- John
Old 07-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I want more parody cast speculation for True Detective season three, like Tyrion and Jorah from Game of Thrones, or Bunk and McNulty from The Wire.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
After the guy started shooting at them from the window, it was clear they were out gunned. They still kept it going with the car chase etc, still out gunned.
The nuttiest part was Ani chasing after the van while guy with autonomic shot at her. Methinks someone watches too many movies.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2510 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
The nuttiest part was Ani chasing after the van while guy with autonomic shot at her. Methinks someone watches too many movies.

You mean they don't do that on TV? Get out!!!!!

Sent from nowhere
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
or Bunk and McNulty from The Wire.
Omar Little would be perfect for this show.

The most uncomfortable moment of my life was when my dad gave me the sex talk..the old man was into some really crazy $#@!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
True but meth cooks aren't exactly sharpshooters. There was still a fair amount of realistic posture and gun control from the police here.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
So many people shot, it would be a giant lawsuit for a real city. The good thing, I am LOVING VV in his role.
"You don't need to take your rings off, it doesn't matter." Proceeds to beat the crap out of the guy that was talking all that crap and pull off his "grill". That moment was a highlight of the season for me
WaTaGuMp and heepman like this.

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
"You don't need to take your rings off, it doesn't matter." Proceeds to beat the crap out of the guy that was talking all that crap and pull off his "grill". That moment was a highlight of the season for me
Heck yeah, that was awesome. He just showed why he is someone to not be messed with.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 1738
Quote:
Yeah, pretty ridiculous, but it happens all the time on TV and in movies.

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I wonder though, when cops find themselves outgunned like that, would they withdraw and call in the SWAT?

Or would they try to return fire and prevent the gunmen from spraying automatic gun fire unchallenged?

Maybe to try to minimize the threat to the public, they'd try to fight back as much as they can? Isn't that how so many cops got taken out in that shootout which inspired Heat?

I got the sense that Ani saw things getting out of control and felt compelled to stop the gunmen any way possible.

In the real world, if you heard that cops withdrew while civilians were getting mowed down, the PD would never hear the end of it.

The other thing is, they wanted to catch the perp alive for questioning but it soon became impossible and they had to try to put all of them down.

Of course one might argue that by continuing to return fire, that made the perps shoot with impunity. So if they let that van get away, maybe a lot less carnage overall.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

IIRC, the cops weren't armed with shotguns???
Just handguns, right?

I reserve the right to be ignorant, annoying, and just plain stupid...I'm an American.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 857
True Detective Season 2: Vinci Shootout Featurette (HBO)

Source article,

Watch: The Realism Behind the "True Detective" Shootout
Old 07-16-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I wonder though, when cops find themselves outgunned like that, would they withdraw and call in the SWAT?

Or would they try to return fire and prevent the gunmen from spraying automatic gun fire unchallenged?

Maybe to try to minimize the threat to the public, they'd try to fight back as much as they can? Isn't that how so many cops got taken out in that shootout which inspired Heat?

I got the sense that Ani saw things getting out of control and felt compelled to stop the gunmen any way possible.

In the real world, if you heard that cops withdrew while civilians were getting mowed down, the PD would never hear the end of it.

The other thing is, they wanted to catch the perp alive for questioning but it soon became impossible and they had to try to put all of them down.

Of course one might argue that by continuing to return fire, that made the perps shoot with impunity. So if they let that van get away, maybe a lot less carnage overall.
I know nothing. But common sense says in a situation like that my first priority is to not get shot and not get my men shot. Take cover. Pull back. Call SWAT immediately. Try to direct to safety any dumb ass civilian who decides this is a good opportunity for spectating. Fire a few shots in the general direction of the bad guys, the goal being containment, not winning a gunfight that doesn't overwhelmingly favors you. Did I mention call SWAT? And move your men to cover the exits, which hopefully you have scoped out BEFORE raiding the place.

Remember these guys aren't terrorists or mass shooter type. They're not interested in shooting random civilians. They're interested in shooting YOU if you give them a target. Mostly they want to stay alive and get away. You want to keep the non-perp casualty low while hopefully not letting them get away scot free.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
IIRC, the cops weren't armed with shotguns???
Just handguns, right?
I do not recall any shotguns. The chick even had to pull her knife out.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Old 07-16-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So we're halfway through the season and the thread's a rollercoaster. At the start expectations were low and reviews mediocre. But interest rose markedly with episodes 2 and 3. Then 4 seems to have soured many of you to the point of ridicule. A real piling-on. I'm sticking it out but I have to admit there's a heavy-handedness and tone-deafness to the dialog. It pains me to say it because I'm with the writer on attempting to craft something stylish and new, without cliche, but some of the lines are burdensome and don't reflect the characters appropriately.

With that said, I'll still take this dialog over David Mamet's. While Pizzolotto's dialog can take me out of the scene for a few seconds, Mamet's knocks me into left field, At times it's beyond stilted. And before anyone asks, yes, I did love the machismo and sharp dialog of Glengarry Glen Ross for the most part, it's just some of his other stuff that's impossible to sit through. And some of it a too-obvious transition from the stage to screen.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 830
I am a fan of Nic Pizzolatto's writing, pretentious though it often is, so it will come as no surprise that I find Season 2 of True Detective almost as compelling as Season 1. To me, though, Season 1 was in a class by itself because Pizzolatto's pomposity fit so well with Matthew McConaughey's talent. The dialog Pizzolatto wrote for him nearly perfectly showcased McConaughey's weird charisma.

I like the job that both Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn are doing this season, even their dialog in the dive bar. Speaking of pretentious writers, I love David Mamet's stuff too. Hell, it can be argued that William Shakespeare wrote pretentiously. It seems to me that writing, like music, falls into two broad categories: good and bad. As noted, I think Pizzolatto's stuff is good.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 149
All this talk about dialog between cops, I happen to be watching Bron.

The back and forth between the main 2 cops on that series is terrific. Great characterization from the dialog there, without resorting to artsy language.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:

Throw in a well timed "FREEZE TURKEY!" and we got ourselves a closed loop.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I know nothing. But common sense says in a situation like that my first priority is to not get shot and not get my men shot. Take cover. Pull back. Call SWAT immediately. Try to direct to safety any dumb ass civilian who decides this is a good opportunity for spectating. Fire a few shots in the general direction of the bad guys, the goal being containment, not winning a gunfight that doesn't overwhelmingly favors you. Did I mention call SWAT? And move your men to cover the exits, which hopefully you have scoped out BEFORE raiding the place.

Remember these guys aren't terrorists or mass shooter type. They're not interested in shooting random civilians. They're interested in shooting YOU if you give them a target. Mostly they want to stay alive and get away. You want to keep the non-perp casualty low while hopefully not letting them get away scot free.
Nothing like a dose of reality and logic to screw things up.

Quote:
I do not recall any shotguns. The chick even had to pull her knife out.
I thought so.
Not even close to being credible...just an excuse for the director to drop bodies everywhere.
WaTaGuMp likes this.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
when the window guy opens fire he hits two cops, from that position with single aimed shots he could have taken out 4-5 easily.

interesting to see the aftermath. probably these cops go with out badge rest of the season...
Old 07-17-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I finally watched episode 4 last night. I enjoyed it. The shootout was thrilling, but it showed the investigation team at their worst. They completely botched the entire operation. Now they'll never know that the pawned stuff was a red herring having nothing to do w/ the murder.

And, I wrote before that this season doesn't have the supernatural baggage that Season 1 had, but now I see that they've been weaving it in all along. "Green and Black" indeed!

I'm enjoying Vaughn's character more and more. He's got the best vocabulary!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I finally watched episode 4 last night. I enjoyed it. The shootout was thrilling, but it showed the investigation team at their worst. They completely botched the entire operation. Now they'll never know that the pawned stuff was a red herring having nothing to do w/ the murder.

And, I wrote before that this season doesn't have the supernatural baggage that Season 1 had, but now I see that they've been weaving it in all along. "Green and Black" indeed!

I'm enjoying Vaughn's character more and more. He's got the best vocabulary!
Keep it down around here if you like something. "They" are always watching.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
Old 07-17-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Some people really need to watch their drug intake...

Old 07-18-2015, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The stories told with facts and lies, is that the same as green and black.
I like the red head.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Professional killers with machine guns are the worst shooters, they cant ever hit the star of the show.
Yeah, it's almost comical.
Maybe they would do more damage by using harsh language...

Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'm getting the general buzz from U guys - This thing Zuks Ballz, but we're gonna
punish ourselves and keep watching it, cause? Cause What? It's supposed to be good, we were told
and we believe, but our eyes and ears say not? Am I getting the basic review right?

Curious - That's All
Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
I'm getting the general buzz from U guys - This thing Zuks Ballz, but we're gonna
punish ourselves and keep watching it, cause? Cause What? It's supposed to be good, we were told
and we believe, but our eyes and ears say not? Am I getting the basic review right?

Curious - That's All
It's not TV, it's HBO. It's got movie stars and movie directors. It has Serious Theme, namely how it sucks to be men (and secondarily how it sucks to be women around said men). It's got memory of better days.

Also I already paid for it so doggone it I'm going to watch it to get my money's worth. (Though that hasn't induced me to keep watching Ballers. That's how meh that show is, that even the Rock and bare boobs can't hold my interest.)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Curious - That's All
Remember that some of us do find this series capable and thought-provoking. And not to tar all with too broad a brush, these forums are not overly populated with fans of ambitious fare that takes too much time to get down to business.

And how people can complain about arty dialogue after the stuff that came out of the mouths of those in season 1 really baffles me.

Last edited by Shaded Dogfood; 07-18-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Say what you will, I still like the show ... as much as Season One ...??? No .. but it's apples and oranges ...
bidger, Ph8te and Phil17108 like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement