'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 312Likes

post #2071 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
Are you kidding? Ask Vince if he is happy he decided to do this. When you do something right no one remembers when you do something wrong nobody forgets. It's why actors choose their roles very carefully.

Since Trump has not yet released Vince's cell phone number, I am, unfortunately, not privy to that info yet .. however, I would speculate VV wanted a role that might help break him out of the stereotype of vehicles like "Delivery Man" .. we know he's a great comic, yet many comic actors begin to feel the need to prove they can pull off a dramatic role .. I myself give him a B- so far for the choice ..

And, many, if not most, artists in any genre are rarely fully satisfied with their work ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by heepman View Post
Why waste your valuable time sir watching something that you don't get pleasure out of?
"Don't get pleasure out of it?"
Ah contraire, good sir.
I am a full-blown, professional masochist.

Quote:
Or maybe your idea of pleasure is to watch a show you don't like and criticize it?
Actually, no...I do not.
I soooo want to be happy with all things True Detective, but that hasn't been the case so far.

I am only in it now because I am someone who slows down when passing a car wreck (and for more of Ms. McAdams).
Rest easy with the knowledge that if NP doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat with a great conclusion, I won't be around for next season.
So there's that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
We are all entitled to an opinion .. and, I suppose if you say anything enough, you must be right, right .. ??
Of course I am...never been wrong about anything in my entire life (trust me here).

Quote:
But just to post for the sake of posting seems a bit redundant, no .. ?? Unless, of course, your intent is to incite .. which I would think, having read your posts over the years, would not be your intent ..

IOW, I'm fairly sure most know you don't really care for this season, and that's fine .. it's just the continued jabs that get a tiny bit tiresome .. speaking only for myself, of course, and with all due respect ..
Huh?
Skip over my posts, Willie.
No harm, no foul.

Or, if you like, I could put anything potentially disturbing to you in SPOILER TAGS?

Quote:
I believe whether it's a real, paid reviewer, a critic on a blog, or a guy sitting at home, quality is subjective as it relates to entertainment ..
Always.
post #2073 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Huh?
Skip over my posts, Willie.
No harm, no foul.

Or, if you like, I could put anything potentially disturbing to you in SPOILER TAGS?
Now that would remove a good bit of humor from my daily reading .. .. all I'm saying is, there may not be a real need to keep beating the drum / dead horse .. .. I'm certainly not disturbed by it .. at my age, it takes a lot more to get disturbed than this ..

But, it's your time and energy .. critique it as you will, I still like the show and yer not talkin' me out of it ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2074 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Now that would remove a good bit of humor from my daily reading .. .. all I'm saying is, there may not be a real need to keep beating the drum / dead horse .. .. I'm certainly not disturbed by it .. at my age, it takes a lot more to get disturbed than this ..

But, it's your time and energy .. critique it as you will, I still like the show and yer not talkin' me out of it ..
OK, I'll try not to object too vociferously to anything I consider dumb or poor in the show (just for you, Uncle...and only for you.).
post #2075 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well, I'll go on record that I'm enjoying this season.
bidger, Young C, gwsat and 2 others like this.
post #2076 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post
Well, I'll go on record that I'm enjoying this season.
+1
bidger, Young C and gwsat like this.
post #2077 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
[QUOTE=oink;35974914]"Don't get pleasure out of it?"
Ah contraire, good sir.
I am a full-blown, professional masochist.

Actually, no...I do not.
I soooo want to be happy with all things True Detective, but that hasn't been the case so far.

I am only in it now because I am someone who slows down when passing a car wreck (and for more of Ms. McAdams).
Rest easy with the knowledge that if NP doesn't pull a rabbit out of his hat with a great conclusion, I won't be around for next season.
So there's that...

Methinks you'll tune in to the new 3rd season for a peek regardless, and deep down I think you know it, and you'll watch the whole season.

It could and should be a whole different detective story, hopefully with another outstanding cast, and hopefully it will entertain in it's own way....again.

Love Ms. McAdams too, can't take my eyes off her when she is on screen.

Impressed with your dedication to AVS.

Kind regards sir.
post #2078 of 2147 Old 07-23-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Well, I'll go on record and say I haven't watched it since the first episode, and can't imagine it being any more entertaining than this thread. I'd hate to see it get neutered now.

I'll binge watch them once it's over. The thread is too good to worry about spoilers.
heepman likes this.
post #2079 of 2147 Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
I think a lot of season 1's dialogue was improvised while season 2 is going by the script. I get the feeling that Frank doesn't understand why he says what he says anymore than the audience & the other characters (who never question what he says because it's not in the script).
Good post and summation. I've had issues with Frank's character all season, but can't decide if it's just poor dialogue/script or poor fit for the part. The problem with VV here is that it's almost impossible to view Frank as a separate entity from VV.. and that's almost always a sign of poor acting. However, his dialogue has been pretty poor as well, so when you combine those two elements it makes for numerous cringe-worthy moments. Whereas with Rust Cohle and Marty last season, those were two legitimate characters where I didn't "see" MM and Harrelson.

Yes, I suppose it can be argued that it was a 'bold' decision on NP's part to cast VV in this role, but in the end, I believe it wasn't worth the risk. I think Frank's character has been the most distracting, slow, and tedious aspect of the show.

That said, I think CF has been solid and the other two have been decent enough as support. I'm pretty indifferent to Ani and Paul overall and not emotionally attached to their outcomes, but at least they're not annoying where I want to skip through their scenes.
post #2080 of 2147 Old 07-24-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
Good post and summation. I've had issues with Frank's character all season, but can't decide if it's just poor dialogue/script or poor fit for the part. The problem with VV here is that it's almost impossible to view Frank as a separate entity from VV.. and that's almost always a sign of poor acting. However, his dialogue has been pretty poor as well, so when you combine those two elements it makes for numerous cringe-worthy moments. Whereas with Rust Cohle and Marty last season, those were two legitimate characters where I didn't "see" MM and Harrelson.

Yes, I suppose it can be argued that it was a 'bold' decision on NP's part to cast VV in this role, but in the end, I believe it wasn't worth the risk. I think Frank's character has been the most distracting, slow, and tedious aspect of the show.

That said, I think CF has been solid and the other two have been decent enough as support. I'm pretty indifferent to Ani and Paul overall and not emotionally attached to their outcomes, but at least they're not annoying where I want to skip through their scenes.
The problem with the "Frank" character is it requires an actor who is multi-shaded, and that isn't VV.
He is simply miscast.

I have enjoyed his wisecracking persona in a number of movies.
However, the only kind of dramatic role I can see him playing is as a crooked cop or a hit man....a character where VV can put on his scary, serious face and growl at the scenery.
I cannot believe NP could be so brain-dead as to not see this.
Young C and paranoyd androyd like this.
post #2081 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 201
"That's one off the bucket list" lol
Keenan and Ph8te like this.

James Reid:D
post #2082 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I try to keep an open mind about art, but sometimes I just don't get the music choice during some scenes, more distracting then anything. Still thought it was the best overall episode yet.
Ph8te likes this.

post #2083 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
I agree thought this might have been one of the best episodes of the season. I'm still servicing judgement for the season until the end

Sent from nowhere
cardoski likes this.
post #2084 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 103
The best one yet in my mind, and at times fairly masterful in execution. I suppose that means the overly negative critics found it mildly entertaining at best, and not enough for them to take down their Pizzolatto dart board.
post #2085 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
The best one yet in my mind, and at times fairly masterful in execution. I suppose that means the overly negative critics found it mildly entertaining at best, and not enough for them to take down their Pizzolatto dart board.

I think you may have spoken a bit too early we still haven't had the major critics (in this thread) check in.

Sent from nowhere
post #2086 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I try to keep an open mind about art, but sometimes I just don't get the music choice during some scenes, more distracting then anything. Still thought it was the best overall episode yet.
I really like the piece for strings they used for the last fifteen minutes.
post #2087 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
Agreed. It's a very welcome deviation from modern TV's usual synth loops, predictable pastiche and bland, interchangeable ostinatos.
post #2088 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 101
After looking over the posts I went back and watched the last 15 minutes and the music is very good with the acid trip she is on. I had not paid attention to it. That is some party house and I could not fell anything but left out. Just who is the bad gay, there are so many.
post #2089 of 2147 Old 07-26-2015, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I try to keep an open mind about art, but sometimes I just don't get the music choice during some scenes, more distracting then anything.
Ms. Oink said the same thing.
It reminded me of the music of the noirs from the 50s.

Quote:
Still thought it was the best overall episode yet.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I'm still servicing judgement for the season until the end
Agreed, there is a lot wrong to make right with just 2 episodes left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think you may have spoken a bit too early we still haven't had the major critics (in this thread) check in.
Why...why, thank you.

Best Scene of the Season: Ray and Frank sitting across the breakfast table from each other.
Most Ridiculous Death of the Season: Ani cutting on the rich old man.
Dumbest Move by a Gangster of the Season: Frank & Crew walking into an ambush setup like school boys.
Nastiest Phone Conversation of the Season: Ray speaking with his wife's rapist for the first time ever.
Stupidest Intelligence Gathering Operation of the Season: Ani deciding to crash a sex party while refusing to play the part of a sex worker.

Space For Rent
post #2090 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Tiny Ani would have been unconscious from the dope.

Certainly not have the wits to grab a knife, recognize the witness and vivisect the huge muscle.
post #2091 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 802
The retired cop that Woodrugh talked to about the blue diamonds mentioned that the kids that saw their parents killed wore masks. A link to the masks we've seen in the show and the person who shot Velocoro?
post #2092 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The small 'ankle knife' honcho-detective Ani pulled near the end of the street shootout seemed pathetic, weapon-wise. But watching her character 'work-out' on a target board with a knife and stick the party dude changed my opinion. -- John
post #2093 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ani likes to carve up guys with a knife as revenge for being molested as a child. Perhaps she will kill her hairy molester in the season finale, allowing her to have more normal relationships with guys.
post #2094 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
Ani likes to carve up guys with a knife as revenge for being molested as a child. Perhaps she will kill her hairy molester in the season finale, allowing her to have more normal relationships with guys.
Kids that are molested never really have closure and carry open wounds for the rest of their lives.
ANYONE who sexually abuses a child should be drawn & quartered in the town square, period.

Space For Rent
post #2095 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Tiny Ani would have been unconscious from the dope.

Certainly not have the wits to grab a knife, recognize the witness and vivisect the huge muscle.

Not so sure about that, in fact she was likely up and alert for several hours after.lol

post #2096 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

on second viewing I suppose it wasn't so bad, at the time felt a bit forced to me, but it works.

post #2097 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Agreed. It seemed evocative of some twisted 20th Century piece (reminded me of Alban Berg), as if the old guys at the party were listening to it, but it was run through some kind of weird phase shifter and reverb to make it seem nightmarish and drugged, so it fit the scene perfectly, and ratcheted up the tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The retired cop that Woodrugh talked to about the blue diamonds mentioned that the kids that saw their parents killed wore masks. A link to the masks we've seen in the show and the person who shot Velocoro?
I thought he meant that the assassins wore masks, not the kids.

I'm getting more and more confused with the complicated plot lines, and don't know if they will intersect at some point. I guess our protagonists feel the same way.

I finally realized that the lazy chubby guy was a City detective (saw it on his business card during the recap). I thought he was County, but I guess he worked with Velcoro. Bezzerides is County, and Woodrugh is State. Sorry if this was obvious to everyone else, but I'm slow in figuring it out.

Is the black woman a State Prosecutor?
post #2098 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't know the finer points of how red hair is passed down from parents, skipping generations, etc., but I didn't get a sense that the rapist had any features seen in Ray's "son."
post #2099 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I thought he meant that the assassins wore masks, not the kids.

I'm getting more and more confused with the complicated plot lines, and don't know if they will intersect at some point. I guess our protagonists feel the same way.

I finally realized that the lazy chubby guy was a City detective (saw it on his business card during the recap). I thought he was County, but I guess he worked with Velcoro. Bezzerides is County, and Woodrugh is State. Sorry if this was obvious to everyone else, but I'm slow in figuring it out.

Is the black woman a State Prosecutor?
He was talking about the kids just before he mentioned the masks so I assumed he meant the kids, sort of an adolescent protection mechanism of some sort, "you can't see me so I'm safe" type of thing. I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but at that point of the conversation it would have seemed out of place to talk about the robbers/killers wearing masks.

Maybe this whole story is really about those children, now grown up, getting their revenge and their inheritance back. I could easily see that happening with this show. Just a theory anyway.

Yes, she is with the state Attorney General's office.
post #2100 of 2147 Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
I don't know the finer points of how red hair is passed down from parents, skipping generations, etc., but I didn't get a sense that the rapist had any features seen in Ray's "son."
Here is the big twist regarding who the father is:
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
He was talking about the kids just before he mentioned the masks so I assumed he meant the kids, sort of an adolescent protection mechanism of some sort, "you can't see me so I'm safe" type of thing. I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but at that point of the conversation it would have seemed out of place to talk about the robbers/killers wearing masks.

Maybe this whole story is really about those children, now grown up, getting their revenge and their inheritance back. I could easily see that happening with this show. Just a theory anyway.
If it turns out to be the case, it is the craziest and most ridiculous bit of writing thing yet.

Space For Rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page