'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 530Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2161 of 2506 Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Strange that the family wasn't able to get insurance or anything. Generally, you can get a presumption of death under each state's law after 5 years plus or minus from a missing person.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
daryl zero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2162 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,559
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Strange that the family wasn't able to get insurance or anything. Generally, you can get a presumption of death under each state's law after 5 years plus or minus from a missing person.
Someone pointed that out to me earlier. No explanation other than the insured is the same guy who went to London to buy T-bills.
bmcn is offline  
post #2163 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Snafu68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
7/8

best episode so far, plot is folding and even VV managed to be bad ass.

Story could have started with this episode flashing back to what led as here ?

Still plenty to do in just one episode
gwsat likes this.
Snafu68 is offline  
post #2164 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post
7/8

best episode so far, plot is folding and even VV managed to be bad ass.

Story could have started with this episode flashing back to what led as here ?

Still plenty to do in just one episode
The problem I have is that the underlying plot is so far removed from the story they are showing on the screen to be completely incomprehensible to me. I don't remember the names or understand their connections. I was interested in the murder mystery at first but the last bunch of shows have had nothing to do with it and is all about the individual problems of the characters so the impact is really poor, at least for me. Its just a bunch of mostly white old creepy guys doing randomly bad things.
NorthJersey likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
daryl zero is offline  
post #2165 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 17,122
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post
7/8

best episode so far, plot is folding and even VV managed to be bad ass.

Story could have started with this episode flashing back to what led as here ?

Still plenty to do in just one episode
I agree that this week's show was the best of the season, by far. Despite how much of the season's complex conspiracy story the episode revealed, I thought it was remarkably clearly told. Kudos to Nic Pizzolatto! Just hope that next week's season finale lives up to this week's show.
gwsat is offline  
post #2166 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Leftcoastdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
Yeah, they made a big deal that they needed to hire porn actresses for an orgy scene that "regular" actresses wouldn't be comfortable with. All I saw were a couple quick shots of naked girls in dim lighting.

They must have said that to get people to keep watching till the end.

I must be in the minority, as I believe VV is doing a very good job in his role.
+1 VV is terrific. All this criticism seems off target to me.

As for this season versus last, Frankly (pun intended) I am enjoying this way more than watching a creepy MM chain smoke for ten weeks.

I am having the same difficulty as others connecting the dots on who the bad guys are but for the most part the writing and acting is superior to most tripe on television and in the theaters in this country. They certainly picked up the pace in this latest episode. Looking forward to next week's finale.

Footnote: I suppose my perspective is influenced by the fact that I live in California and see corruption, incompetence, bribery, and fraud at every level of government in this state. If you ever heard of Bell, CA and saw the salaries of the Cal State employees & union employees, you know exactly what I mean.
bidger and mnetop like this.

Last edited by Leftcoastdave; 08-03-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Leftcoastdave is offline  
post #2167 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 22,419
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that this week's show was the best of the season, by far. Despite how much of the season's complex conspiracy story the episode revealed, I thought it was remarkably clearly told.
I think you're in a pretty small minority with that opinion. I've stuck with the show and tried to defend most of the season, but with this episode, I finally had to admit that I have no f***ing clue what's happening, who's doing what to whom and why, or how any individual storyline is connected to anything else. It's just a huge, totally incomprehensible muddle.
David F and markmathers like this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #2168 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 11,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 98
When you jump into a car with your DA-office recruiter and she's seriously unresponsive, and you're involved with deadly crimes along with other special recruits, it's bad, bad news. This episode, with everyone but the President apparently involved in corruption, reminded me of that long-distance shot near the end of season one: Some stripped-down dude stalking past buildings looking like a bigfoot animal. Next week it'll be chilling news about their local FBI office. -- John
John Mason is offline  
post #2169 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Member
 
Snafu68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
was this "black op"-boss same as police chief who said "Better be careful out there!" when
dynamic trio went to arrest that pawn shop suspect which turned out to shoot out/ambush ?

also, when in last scene of the episode shooter enters into a car, was it Bezzerides's ex-partners car (the one she hugged earlier)?

can't agree that plot is been told clearly, this show really needs another look later

still open (imo) who shoot Velcro/birds head theme? rapist? who runs this "black op"-group, Frank's
girl friends final role in this

and oh yes, if
Spoiler!
was his girlfriends dream, i'm not gonna
watch anything ever that Pizzolatto does....
Snafu68 is offline  
post #2170 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 31,307
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post
was this "black op"-boss same as police chief who said "Better be careful out there!" when
dynamic trio went to arrest that pawn shop suspect which turned out to shoot out/ambush ?
I don't remember if he was the one who said that but he is the Vinci police chief.
Quote:
also, when in last scene of the episode shooter enters into a car, was it Bezzerides's ex-partners car (the one she hugged earlier)?
I figured it was the police chief who Woodrugh knocked in the head, he came to and picked up Burris. Ani's partner would have been in Oregon at the time and he's with the Ventura police dept anyway, which doesn't appear to be involved at all.
Quote:
can't agree that plot is been told clearly, this show really needs another look later
I can't go with it being told clearly either, I'm picking it up and somewhat following it, but it's definitely not clear.
Quote:
still open (imo) who shoot Velcro/birds head theme? rapist? who runs this "black op"-group, Frank's
girl friends final role in this
My money is on Burris, the same guy who killed Woodrugh. Burris is a lieutenant in the Vinci police dept and was also involved in the jewelry store heist/murder along with his boss the chief and the dead Caspere.
Quote:
and oh yes, if
Spoiler!
was his girlfriends dream, i'm not gonna
watch anything ever that Pizzolatto does....
Naw, don't see that happening at all, Woodrugh is dead, dead, dead.


I should also add that I think one of the main reasons the story is not easy to follow is that I still think it really doesn't have anything to do with land deals. I think the underlying, and ultimately the force behind the death of Caspere(and all the subsequent deaths his death has caused), is the two kids from the jewelry store robbery. I think this story is one long and convoluted story of revenge.

Last edited by Keenan; 08-03-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Keenan is offline  
post #2171 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
[QUOTE=

Footnote: I suppose my perspective is influenced by the fact that I live in California and see corruption, incompetence, bribery, and fraud at every level of government in this state. If you ever heard of Bell, CA and saw the salaries of the Cal State employees & union employees, you know exactly what I mean.[/QUOTE]

I thought that NJ is number one in the pond scum pool. How did CA get ahead of us?

As for this episode, VV finally got his acts together but not sure if could get away with it next week.

Oink is right, I'm getting tired of see Ani's mold in every episode though her role with Ray was great. "You are not a bad man."

This might be the longest episode of them all, over an hour with so much revelation. However, all these "coincident" did not work for me. The director and screen writer were either too smart or too dumb for my taste. I do enjoy this one with Paul's underground fight. With one hour left, I'm glad it's coming to an end.

I do hope all 4 leads can stay alive but not very likely. Please surprise me.
dragonbud0 is offline  
post #2172 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
I do hope all 4 leads can stay alive but not very likely. Please surprise me.
A little late for that.



3 leads and a limping monkey?
djb61230 and Ph8te like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
daryl zero is offline  
post #2173 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
I thought that NJ is number one in the pond scum pool. How did CA get ahead of us?

As for this episode, VV finally got his acts together but not sure if could get away with it next week.

Oink is right, I'm getting tired of see Ani's mold in every episode though her role with Ray was great. "You are not a bad man."

This might be the longest episode of them all, over an hour with so much revelation. However, all these "coincident" did not work for me. The director and screen writer were either too smart or too dumb for my taste. I do enjoy this one with Paul's underground fight. With one hour left, I'm glad it's coming to an end.

I do hope all 4 leads can stay alive but not very likely. Please surprise me.

Next week's guide shows 90 minutes for the finale! Last two episodes were great, story really coming together, and so atmospheric. Not Season 1 but still high quality tv.
gwsat likes this.
djb5f is offline  
post #2174 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Also, Frank's lines even outdone his previous episodes. He said something about "orifice" and I almost choked on that one. These screenwriters really are something. Frank should be framed among the Criminal Hall of Fame for his edudite lines.
dragonbud0 is offline  
post #2175 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I've come to wait expectantly for the jewels in Frank's stilted manner of speech. The best part of the show, imo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did the black guy confronting Paul come from in the past of the show? Don't remember him at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the young daughter of the dead jeweler was skulking around in the killer's den presumably waiting to exact revenge, where & who is her brother?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank's wife has magnificent tits.

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is offline  
post #2176 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 31,307
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Where did the black guy confronting Paul come from in the past of the show? Don't remember him at all.
He's the Vinci police chief and one of the people who allegedly did the jewelry store heist/murder, along with Vinci detective Burris is who standing next to him in the below image.


Keenan is offline  
post #2177 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
ViperVenom18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Man... people have some terrible memory when watching TV... lol
gwsat and mldardy like this.
ViperVenom18 is offline  
post #2178 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
The problem I have is that the underlying plot is so far removed from the story they are showing on the screen to be completely incomprehensible to me. I don't remember the names or understand their connections. I was interested in the murder mystery at first but the last bunch of shows have had nothing to do with it and is all about the individual problems of the characters so the impact is really poor, at least for me. Its just a bunch of mostly white old creepy guys doing randomly bad things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I've stuck with the show and tried to defend most of the season, but with this episode, I finally had to admit that I have no f***ing clue what's happening, who's doing what to whom and why, or how any individual storyline is connected to anything else. It's just a huge, totally incomprehensible muddle.
Hold on...I almost have it mapped out:






Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Frank's wife has magnificent tits.
The only thing everyone can agree on (BTW, I nearly chocked on my burrito with that one).

GD, I wish I hadn't wasted another season with this silly-ass series...
My head told me not to, but I didn't listen.
oink is offline  
post #2179 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 5,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I still say it was a great season. So what if I have to watch it again to understand it?
gwsat likes this.
Shaded Dogfood is offline  
post #2180 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
I still say it was a great season. So what if I have to watch it again to understand it?
Completely Zen.
oink is offline  
post #2181 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Plot recap by Slate:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_season.html

Still is basically uninteresting/unintelligible.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 08-03-2015 at 11:16 PM.
daryl zero is offline  
post #2182 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,908
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 3816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post
Man... people have some terrible memory when watching TV... lol

You have to remember many here are multitasking (not focusing on the shows they watch). Not sure this is one where you can do that while this season has t grabbed me like season 1, I don't have really any problems with it. People came in looking for season one, when we knew that it want going to really be the same.


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is offline  
post #2183 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 PM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Funny stuff...they have a sense of humor about it too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You have to remember many here are multitasking (not focusing on the shows they watch). Not sure this is one where you can do that while this season has t grabbed me like season 1, I don't have really any problems with it. People came in looking for season one, when we knew that it want going to really be the same.
SOOOOO, you are saying this isn't the True Detective series we fell in love with last year, but something else?
oink is offline  
post #2184 of 2506 Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,908
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 3816
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Funny stuff...they have a sense of humor about it too.




SOOOOO, you are saying this isn't the True Detective series we fell in love with last year, but something else?

Well that much is obvious I thought from before the season started. While not without its flaws, there are some here I swear LIKE watching just so they can post how much they dislike it. It's like inviting a pig to a pig roast and then mixing in roast swine into its food. oh wait sorry that is a Hannibal plot line


Sent from nowhere
Ph8te is offline  
post #2185 of 2506 Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
While not without its flaws, there are some here I swear LIKE watching just so they can post how much they dislike it.

This is AVS...and AVS members have always reserved the right to bitch & moan when they don't like what they see.
The bottom line is: we are what we are.


Quote:
It's like inviting a pig to a pig roast and then mixing in roast swine into its food.
HEY!


Spoiler!
Ph8te likes this.
oink is offline  
post #2186 of 2506 Old 08-04-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Big thinkers
Posts: 3,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 340
There's only two things I don't like about this show and they are the story and the acting. Once I start watching a series I will finish it out. If I knew what I do now I wouldn't have started this one it's dreadful, and I hope they don't have a season three.
oink likes this.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
post #2187 of 2506 Old 08-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
It should be noted that Jordan (Kelly Reilly) has red hair, so she could be the biologic father of Ray's son if she is transgender (Rick Springfield might have performed the surgery). This would explain why she can't have babies. One burning question to be answered by epi 8 is whether Jordan has any part to play in the storyline, and if not, why bother hiring Kelly Reilly when virtually any actress would do. It seems such a waste of talent.
David F likes this.
Lils Roro is offline  
post #2188 of 2506 Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 36,583
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
It should be noted that Jordan (Kelly Reilly) has red hair, so she could be the biologic father of Ray's son if she is transgender (Rick Springfield might have performed the surgery). This would explain why she can't have babies. One burning question to be answered by epi 8 is whether Jordan has any part to play in the storyline, and if not, why bother hiring Kelly Reilly when virtually any actress would do. It seems such a waste of talent.
I have been wondering about this...
oink is offline  
post #2189 of 2506 Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Also...has anyone else noticed that the 2 black characters are dead, as well as the 2 gay guys and many of the Mexicans, while most of the straight white folks live on? Is this part of the film noir genre, or something NP picked up while watching horror films?

EDIT: I expect ALL of the Russians will be killed in the finale.

Last edited by Lils Roro; 08-04-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Lils Roro is offline  
post #2190 of 2506 Old 08-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
eddie_d_lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
true detective season 2 = convoluted mess

SlingTV, E.D.L.
eddie_d_lopez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off