'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 339Likes
post #2191 of 2209 Unread Today, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Plot recap by Slate:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...ng_season.html

Still is basically uninteresting/unintelligible.
That helps but I preferred S1's plot line. S2 is way above my pay grade in decoding this labyrinth storyline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2209 Unread Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Kelly Reilly, Jordan was PG before a surgery of some type. VV, Frank said it so she is not Ray's son father.
Old boy friend shows up from hi school that is in the money business, history!!

I think she is in the cast for those of us that like the red hair, those eye's and the real women's body.
That's why.

Last edited by Phil17108; Today at 09:30 AM.
post #2193 of 2209 Unread Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
While not without its flaws, there are some here I swear LIKE watching just so they can post how much they dislike it. It's like inviting a pig to a pig roast and then mixing in roast swine into its food.
I've cut this season a lot of slack for a very long time, and defended episodes that others ranted about, but it's just gotten to be far too convoluted now.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2194 of 2209 Unread Today, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Frank walks out of the mayors office and says Khe Sanh to the asian guy as in I don't take orders from you as if he was there.
What does that refer to. He is not old enough.

Last edited by Phil17108; Today at 10:37 AM.
post #2195 of 2209 Unread Today, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I should also add that I think one of the main reasons the story is not easy to follow is that I still think it really doesn't have anything to do with land deals. I think the underlying, and ultimately the force behind the death of Caspere(and all the subsequent deaths his death has caused), is the two kids from the jewelry store robbery. I think this story is one long and convoluted story of revenge.
The whole season is really about the jewelry store robbery plot, which was just introduced one episode ago and has been mentioned in all of, what, three scenes? It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case, but it's really sh***y writing if so.

At this point, it seems like all the big plot twists are completely arbitrary. When Burris stepped out and shot Woodrugh, that really could have been just about any other random character and it would have had the same impact.

"OMG, Burris shot Paul. What's that about?"
"OMG, Frank shot Paul. What's that about?"
"OMG, the mayor shot Paul. What's that about?"
"OMG, Ray shot Paul. What's that about?"

Plot twists for the sake of having plot twists quickly become meaningless.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2196 of 2209 Unread Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I think you're in a pretty small minority with that opinion. I've stuck with the show and tried to defend most of the season, but with this episode, I finally had to admit that I have no f***ing clue what's happening, who's doing what to whom and why, or how any individual storyline is connected to anything else. It's just a huge, totally incomprehensible muddle.

See, that wasn't so hard was it? More seriously, although, to say the least, this season has been less than a model of clarity, this week's episode cleared up a bunch of stuff, at least to my satisfaction. The Slate piece reinforced my conclusion. The show requires a lot more concentration than the average TV drama but it seems to me that the gold is there for those who are patient enough to dig it out.
post #2197 of 2209 Unread Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The whole season is really about the jewelry store robbery plot, which was just introduced one episode ago and has been mentioned in all of, what, three scenes? It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case, but it's really sh***y writing if so.

At this point, it seems like all the big plot twists are completely arbitrary. When Burris stepped out and shot Woodrugh, that really could have been just about any other random character and it would have had the same impact.

"OMG, Burris shot Paul. What's that about?"
"OMG, Frank shot Paul. What's that about?"
"OMG, the mayor shot Paul. What's that about?"
"OMG, Ray shot Paul. What's that about?"

Plot twists for the sake of having plot twists quickly become meaningless.
I agree, when you get down to it any one of those characters would have had good reason to kill or at least blackmail Paul to get the documents he has and the information he knows about the jewelry heist.

For example, Holloway met with him to blackmail Paul to get the contracts, Burris could have been to insure Paul died and any knowledge of the people involved in the heist died with him. Frank could have wanted anything and everything Paul knew to get at the people forcing him out of the game. The mayor could have wanted the documents to get back control over those(his son, etc.) who have reduced him to a sideshow prop.

I think this season, so much more than the first season, needed to be seen binge-style as there are so many once seen characters, so many once mentioned events, a lot of mumbled dialog, a lot of dialog said by characters that you would never expect it to be heard from, lots and lots of red herring dead ends that it almost demands viewing in just a few sittings to be able to follow the incredibly loosely strung together story. The first season had far less characters and focused on those two main characters in a way that they were both very memorable and viewers remember what they said and what happened. I'm not seeing that at all with Season 2, way too many characters and sideline plots.

I still contend that Pizzolatto is not capable of driving the narrative himself, I think this season needed the focus of a Fukunaga to keep the story cohesive, or at least flowing in a manner that could be easier to follow, having multiple directors instead of just one only added to the overall disjointedness of this season.

I'm still enjoying it though as I really enjoy this type of story, I just wish it had been done better. It's the same reason I'll sit through some pretty bad sci-fi, I really enjoy the genre so I'll put up with it. To a point.

I think it's interesting to note that HBO has not announced a third season yet, seems they usually do that before the current season even ends.
post #2198 of 2209 Unread Today, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Maybe the ratings aren't there after all the criticisms about this season.

Pizzolatto wrote some of the scripts for season 1 of The Killing. There were good parts and bad parts to that season, the good part being the two cops, especially Holder and the bad part being the case dragging on in the first season.
post #2199 of 2209 Unread Today, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 26
HBO's president says they want a 3rd season if Pizzolatto will agree to do it, so apparently the ball is in Pizzolatto's court (May be a money issue). He also said viewers shouldn't judge season 2 until it's over, as he's seen the finale and thinks it's very good.
post #2200 of 2209 Unread Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
Also...has anyone else noticed that the 2 black characters are dead, as well as the 2 gay guys and many of the Mexicans, while most of the straight white folks live on? Is this part of the film noir genre, or something NP picked up while watching horror films?
Huh, I hadn't really noticed...interesting observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Kelly Reilly, Jordan was PG before a surgery of some type. VV, Frank said it so she is not Ray's son father.
Old boy friend shows up from hi school that is in the money business, history!!

I think she is in the cast for those of us that like the red hair, those eye's and the real women's body.
That's why.
OK, now you're just trying to make my head explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
the bad part being the case dragging on in the first season.
Folks forget about the HUGELY anti-climatic solution of the case in S1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
He also said viewers shouldn't judge season 2 until it's over
Sounds like he is worried.

Quote:
as he's seen the finale and thinks it's very good.
He's paid to say that.
Machuran likes this.

Space For Rent
post #2201 of 2209 Unread Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29
HBO Prez say's don't judge it till you see the last episode? Why didn't they make it a one and half hour series then?

These are just my opinions.
post #2202 of 2209 Unread Today, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

He's paid to say that.
If you asked me about my work, of course it's super. Remember self-serving?
post #2203 of 2209 Unread Today, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
If you asked me about my work, of course it's super. Remember self-serving?
Hey, we're all human.

Space For Rent
post #2204 of 2209 Unread Today, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The Slate article is a good read. And amusing at the same time. Highly recommended for those of us having difficulty connecting the dots.
post #2205 of 2209 Unread Today, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoastdave View Post
The Slate article is a good read. And amusing at the same time. Highly recommended for those of us having difficulty connecting the dots.
Agree, it's funny. I'm not convinced I should care to connect the dots.
Dots not very interesting
post #2206 of 2209 Unread Today, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Sounds like he is worried.

He's paid to say that.
Exactly, he's not going to trash a show on his network.
post #2207 of 2209 Unread Today, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

See, that wasn't so hard was it? More seriously, although, to say the least, this season has been less than a model of clarity, this week's episode cleared up a bunch of stuff, at least to my satisfaction. The Slate piece reinforced my conclusion. The show requires a lot more concentration than the average TV drama but it seems to me that the gold is there for those who are patient enough to dig it out.
I pay attention, don't multitask, and even have CC on. I only have a vague, general idea of what's going on. Good thing it's not my job to do recap.

The beat of the show is: exposition dump, exposition dump, burst of violence. It keeps you watching, but is it good?

It's easy to confuse QUANTITY of plot with good plotting. Star Wars ep 1&2 have a lot more plotting and complications than ep 3&4, and nobody gives a crap.
Machuran likes this.
post #2208 of 2209 Unread Today, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I pay attention, don't multitask, and even have CC on. I only have a vague, general idea of what's going on. Good thing it's not my job to do recap.

The beat of the show is: exposition dump, exposition dump, burst of violence. It keeps you watching, but is it good?

It's easy to confuse QUANTITY of plot with good plotting. Star Wars ep 1&2 have a lot more plotting and complications than ep 3&4, and nobody gives a crap.
You shouldn't have to refer to a long recap/guide every time you watch an episode.
post #2209 of 2209 Unread Today, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I get that they have to have a big case, with convoluted plot, all kinds of conspiracies with layers and layers of perpetrators.

Or do they?

Why not have a number of small cases, not as baroque as season 1 or season 2, but it's not about solving the mystery so much as depicting detectives at work, show what makes them tick? Or does "True Detectives" imply that they have to be geniuses and thus can only work on big cases?

I guess that would make for just conventional procedurals, where most cases are wrapped up within the hour episode, self-contained.

NP is just going to want to churn out another big mystery, with many bad guys and cops or some main character spouting philosophy.

Maybe detectives as characters aren't that interesting if they're just arresting the abusive husband who killed the wife. Or at least NP can't make them interesting if they just work relatively mundane cases compared to the kinds of cases in TD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming