'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 514Likes

post #2341 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I binged watched all 8 episodes of Season 2 over the past few days...after hearing about how terrible it was I was surprised at how much I liked it...I liked it a lot...I think watching all 8 episodes over a few days helped as it made the plot easier to understand...and man what a convoluted, complicated, intricately plotted 8 episodes...so many minor characters with barely any screen time ended up being pivotal to the overall story...even binge watching it and I still needed to look online to figure out who some characters were (Stan!)...this season felt like a mashup of LA Confidential meets Heat (the Al Pacino, Robert De Niro crime caper)...it was like an 8 hour movie which is best served by watching it as a whole instead of week-to-week...the way everything came together at the end was brilliant

all the plot points were expertly resolved by the end and I have to give Nic Pizzolatto credit, the guy really knows how to write...this was a neo-noir mystery novel at its finest...all the actors were excellent except for the Vince Vaughn character who's dialogue and story for most of the season were weak...plus Vaughn wasn't cast well for the part...he got much better in the last 2 episodes but maybe too little too late...the Taylor Kitsch gay story also felt a bit strange...the first 4 episodes were a bit slow but once the finale aired and everything was explained it made the entire season better...in my opinion this season was better overall then Season 1

one thing which I didn't understand...how did Caspere end up with the blue diamonds in his safety deposit box that were stolen from the jewelry store back in the 90's??...I know he was involved with the theft but I thought that they would have sold the diamonds for cash to finance the start of their future Vinci corruption...how did Caspere end up getting the diamonds back?
John Mason and Jack Rainville like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
one thing which I didn't understand...how did Caspere end up with the blue diamonds in his safety deposit box that were stolen from the jewelry store back in the 90's??...I know he was involved with the theft but I thought that they would have sold the diamonds for cash to finance the start of their future Vinci corruption...how did Caspere end up getting the diamonds back?
The diamonds were given to Caspere by Holloway & Burris as their buy-in to the land deal. The 3rd cop Dixon had been paid for his share of the diamonds many years back, and had already spent the money. After Caspere was killed and before they turned up in his safe deposit box, Holloway gave Dixon the task of finding out whether Caspere had already sold the diamonds.
TitusTroy likes this.

Last edited by Lils Roro; 08-12-2015 at 02:50 AM.
post #2343 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
The diamonds were given to Caspere by Holloway & Burris as their buy-in to the land deal. The 3rd cop Dixon had been paid for his share of the diamonds many years back, and had already spent the money. After Caspere was killed and before they turned up in his safe deposit box, Holloway gave Dixon the task of finding out whether Caspere had already sold the diamonds.

the jewelry heist happened in 1992 so I don't think the diamonds were given to him as part of the land deal back then...plus Caspere wasn't a power player back then either...but overall your explanation makes sense...I didn't think that Caspere received the diamonds as part of the original heist, I thought they all would have sold the diamonds
post #2344 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
the jewelry heist happened in 1992 so I don't think the diamonds were given to him as part of the land deal back then...plus Caspere wasn't a power player back then either...but overall your explanation makes sense...I didn't think that Caspere received the diamonds as part of the original heist, I thought they all would have sold the diamonds
I believe the transfer of the diamonds to Caspere was a recent event. I'm not sure whether Caspere shared in the original heist and already had possession of some of the diamonds. Perhaps he did since he's the one who told the 3 cops about the diamonds.
post #2345 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
...plus Vaughn wasn't cast well for the part...he got much better in the last 2 episodes but maybe too little too late.
That's what she said , or words to that effect, when he and Ani left their room near the end. Then, as she tucks her favorite curved knife into her shoe and rearranges her/his(?) baby in a carrying blanket, heads into the Venezuela night. That's the theory of a Boston newspaper's detailed summary of the season.

Nice review. Generally agree. Suspect all the shows are on my FIOS VOD now, and I once binge-watched Showtime's Dexter, who drove off into a lumber camp job rather than Vaughn's ending. But all the mental clutter will have to fade a bit before I'd binge here. -- John
post #2346 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I don't think TD was as bad as some like myself say it was, but it wasn't good and looks like TD like gwsat said was a one hit wonder! Now next week they put on the Leftovers, really HBO hasn't been very good for a long time. For years there's nothing other than Curb that I have been anxiously waiting to watch. Just like making a movie the creator will never know how good it will be tills it's done. Even boxing fan's of mine say Showtime has better boxing and their TV series are better. Maybe "The Wire" led me to believe that HBO was special but not so much now.

These are just my opinions.

Last edited by oldcband; 08-12-2015 at 08:01 AM.
post #2347 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
I don't think TD was as bad as some like myself say it was, but it wasn't good and looks like TD like gwsat said was a one hit wonder! Now next week they put on the Leftovers, really HBO hasn't been very good for a long time. For years there's nothing other than Curb that I have been anxiously waiting to watch. Just like making a movie the creator will never know how good it will be tills it's done. Even boxing fan's of mine say Showtime has better boxing and their TV series are better. Maybe "The Wire" led me to believe that HBO was special but not so much now.

HBO has been plenty good recently. Now you may not like what they offer, but that doesn't make them bad. Game of Thrones is massively good and a huge hit for HBO they also have Silicon Valley, last week tonight with John Oliver, Veep, girls, etc etc etc. that's just current shows. The funny thing is with all of this hate this season has got it seems that this season has had higher ratings than last season.

Sent from nowhere
post #2348 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4846 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The funny thing is with all of this hate this season has got it seems that this season has had higher ratings than last season.
1) A response to the rep of S1.
2) Proof there are a lot of dumb people in the world.

gwsat and Machuran like this.

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
post #2349 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I binged watched all 8 episodes of Season 2 over the past few days...after hearing about how terrible it was I was surprised at how much I liked it...I liked it a lot...
You're not alone. I really enjoyed this season. I was a bit behind so I stayed out of this thread to avoid spoilers until I could get caught up. I wondered what the strange orange glow coming from the thread was, but it wasn't until I got caught up on episodes and came in here to see how people were enjoying it that I found out. It was a crowd of angry AVSers with pitchforks and blazing torches who were searching for Nic Pizzolatto. I was puzzled and was going to post my opinion of the season, but I decided it was probably better to just get the hell out so I wouldn't get forked by the mob.
Tack, Ph8te, TitusTroy and 1 others like this.
post #2350 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
1) A response to the rep of S1.

Ehhh if t was bad as people were saying then it would have dropped sharply. Instead what we have is people watching the entire season and complaining after every episode. Seems like people wasted their time just so that they could complain.

I guess you would be one of those stupid people since you watched the show as well.

Sent from nowhere
post #2351 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post
You're not alone. I really enjoyed this season. I was a bit behind so I stayed out of this thread to avoid spoilers until I could get caught up. I wondered what the strange orange glow coming from the thread was, but it wasn't until I got caught up on episodes and came in here to see how people were enjoying it that I found out. It was a crowd of angry AVSers with pitchforks and blazing torches who were searching for Nic Pizzolatto. I was puzzled and was going to post my opinion of the season, but I decided it was probably better to just get the hell out so I wouldn't get forked by the mob.
Differences of opinion are welcome on AVS.
It adds to the spice of life that is this forum.
Don't worry and keep posting.
gwsat likes this.

post #2352 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rainville View Post

Nice
post #2353 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 153
All I can go by is my circle of friends. Everyone I know said it wasn't good at all and complained. Like gwsat said TD was a one hit wonder and why it had people watching. I don't care what others say here I've learned from experience is just say what's on my mind. I've learned that some have motives here to try to influence to make believe something is good when it's not. And if I believed ratings I would be watching Fox news or msnbc which I'm not.
gwsat likes this.

These are just my opinions.
post #2354 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
All I can go by is my circle of friends. Everyone I know said it wasn't good at all and complained. Like gwsat said TD was a one hit wonder and why it had people watching. I don't care what others say here I've learned from experience is just say what's on my mind. I've learned that some have motives here to try to influence to make believe something is good when it's not. And if I believed ratings I would be watching Fox news or msnbc which I'm not.

We could say the same thing about people who think it's bad trying to influence those who think it's good it's a two way street. What I don't get is people that continue to watch something that they hate so much. Why punish yourself when there are so many other things to watch and do. Seems like people are wasting their lives, if you don't like it stop watching.

Sent from nowhere
Nayan likes this.
post #2355 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
We could say the same thing about people who think it's bad trying to influence those who think it's good it's a two way street. What I don't get is people that continue to watch something that they hate so much. Why punish yourself when there are so many other things to watch and do. Seems like people are wasting their lives, if you don't like it stop watching.
I think it's called 'Hate Watching' .
Ph8te and Machuran like this.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
post #2356 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubuk View Post
I liked this season. I don't care what any review says. I'm glad it wasn't just another crime drama. if I wanted that, i would have just watch law and order.
Sorry, but who exactly is complaining that TD is not just another crime drama? I haven't read any reviewer saying why can't TD be more like L&O.

Also don't knock L&O. Before it got stale and spawned a zillion spin offs, L&O was solid entertainment. It's way more competent at being a police procedural than TD2 is at whatever it is trying to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
I'm with you.

So much of the vitriol seems to come from people's frustrations with trying to keep up with the extremely complicated plot, and finally with the ending, which was not the usual "good guys deliver retribution to all the bad guys in a hail of lead."

In this culture of big money gaming the system in which little guys and gals cannot cannot play, let alone win, things get Byzantine in their complexity and the bad guys win. If you can't take it, look away.
Blaming the audience is the first refuge of hacks. Y'all just too dumb to understand the heavy sh#! I'm laying down.

Uh, no.

Most of the "extremely complicated plot" of TD2 doesn't come from the story itself but the way it's told. It's the screenwriting equivalent of obfuscated code, a program that does something very simple like print out "hello, world" but written in a way to make it a pain to figure out what it does. It's convoluted, it's not complicated. It scatters clues and makes the audience be the true detective. I'm sure if I go back and rewatch or read the blogs I can piece all the details together. But I don't CARE.

Go watch L.A. Confidential. That movie took a huge sprawling book with eight story lines and whittled then down to three core stories and it makes sense. When a bad guy is revealed, you don't go huh, who's this guy or what's his name?

Go watch the first season of the wire. It's complicated because that world is complicated and doing police work without just beating the crap out of people is complicated, not because they spend huge amount of time discussing somebody's fertility problems while gliding over case details.

When the good guys are defeated in the wire, it is convincing because the system is screwed and we've been convincingly shown how it is screwed, not because the writer pre determined they were going to die because people complained that last season nobody died, so the cops have to do a runner because apparently in 2015 higher authority outside of this runty town does not exist.

I think the problem with TD comes down to this: NP does not care about the story he is telling. The people who made L.A. Confidential were huge fans of James Ellroy, who in turn had an obsession with 50s era L.A., its social structure, its political corruption, its police force. David Simon wanted to show effects of the drug, the loss of middle class jobs, the problems of school system in the inner city, etc.

For NP, it's all window dressing for him, whether it's a cult in Louisiana or corrupt industry town in California. (Seinfeld has a web show called Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. I have a feeling NP's platonic ideal of a show is Tough Guys in Cars Getting Philosophical.) That's fine, you can do that. But you better make the characters compelling and not put horrible stilted dialog in their mouths. Also act like you care about the window dressing because there's eight episode worth of it and it helps if the audience cares, and don't fire the guy who helped make the window dressing work last time because you resent him getting all the plaudits.
gwsat, oink, adpayne and 1 others like this.
post #2357 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I think it's called 'Hate Watching' .
... or "Hope Watching".
Tack, Nayan, cardoski and 1 others like this.
post #2358 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Difference of opinion is great, implying that folks don't like it cause they can't keep up is condescending.

I was up and down on the season, don't hate it but felt a bit let down after the first season. But will defiantly watch the a 3rd season if they have one. In my opinion this was one of the weaker offerings from HBO, which still puts it above a large portion of regular cable shows. Can't wait for the Knick to come back and man the wait for GOT is too much.lol
Nayan likes this.

It's always in the last place you look.
post #2359 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 788
^^^^ With ya on the long GoT wait!

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
post #2360 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
the wait for GOT is too much.lol
This is something EVERYONE can agree on...
Ph8te, Nayan, cardoski and 1 others like this.

post #2361 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
This is something EVERYONE can agree on...

I started listening to the audio books while I work in my wood shop and I have all the released BD box sets so that helps.

It's always in the last place you look.
post #2362 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
... or "Hope Watching".

This is probably the best explanation. The first season built a lot of credits with people, and no one wants to quit watching when it could turn around and flash some of the goodness of the original. Season three will be the true arbiter. We'll see how quick the hook is then.
post #2363 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (Top of 'HDTV Programming' page)

Critic's Notes (Cable)
'True Detective' Drinking Games That Could Kill You
Season 2 went almost completely wrong, until it went right.
By Maureen Ryan, HuffingonPost.com - Aug. 5, 2015

Because I don’t want you to die, I want to warn you away from the “True Detective” drinking games that the kids have been going wild for lately.

Here's how to avoid said drinking games, unless you have a death wish:

--Don't drink every time an actor struggles with an overwritten line of dialogue. (“It’s like blue balls in your heart.”)

--Don't drink every time you watch Taylor Kitsch or Vince Vaughn battle mightily to master roles that, for the most part, do not play to their strengths in a consistent way. Definitely don’t imbibe every time you think Vince Vaughn sounds like he’s appearing in a dinner-theater production of “Guys and Dolls.”

--Don't drink every time you think the character development is lacking, sloppy or incomplete. Why was coming out, even a little, so difficult for Paul Woodrugh (Kitsch)? Why was embracing that side of himself so challenging for this particular man? No idea. And if the answer is because he’s got a shrewish, emasculating mother, then creator Nic Pizzolatto has got to stop getting his story ideas from psychology textbooks published decades ago.

--Don't drink when you can’t fully enjoy a set piece, like that massive gun battle, because it fundamentally made no sense. Yes, now we know why it made no sense (sort of?), but it would have been nice at the time not to wonder why a bunch of random gang members suddenly decided to act very stupidly.

--Don't drink when you wonder whether the entire resolution of the season will amount, more or less, to “a wizard did it,” with James Frain’s barely-seen Burris as the convenient wizard. How did Burris know where Woodrugh would emerge from the tunnels? Because he’s a wizard! Has he been pulling all the strings the whole time? Yes, because ... wizard stuff! Who was the African-American man Woodrugh met in the tunnels? Another wizard! All right, IMDb.com tells me it was Holloway, the police chief, but I highly doubt that was the first guess of anyone in North America. Forget Holloway and Burris -- raise your hand if you’ve spent exposition-dump scenes wondering who the hell Geldof and Tasha and Lutz are. But for your own mental and physical health, don’t drink when character names ring zero bells -- just move on.

--Don't drink when you start thinking about how the repetitive overhead shots of Los Angeles’ highways are a metaphor for the convoluted bowl of spaghetti that is the plot. But wait, bowls of spaghetti and highways are not the same thing, maybe “True Detective” is a lasagna of obfuscation and imitation? But wait, maybe a better metaphor is a stew of undercooked MacGuffins swimming in a broth of “gritty”clichés? You will really, really want to drink when all these metaphors start colliding in your head (and you might get hungry), but don’t start pouring shots, because you need your head clear to figure out what that singer is wailing about.

--Don't drink when an individual episode feels as though it lasts for several days (I don’t know about you, but Episode 5 alone aged me by three years). Definitely don't go near alcohol when you wonder why no well-compensated HBO executive effectively reigned in Pizzolatto’s tendency to write clunky dialogue, march his poor actors through unforgiving exposition deluges and festoon what could have been a decent six- or eight-episode season with way too many barnacles, curlicues and extraneous doodads. But maybe I’m an outlier on this: I’ve been at the Television Critics Association press tour for a week, and my desire to drink has increased every time I’ve heard an executive at HBO, Amazon, Netflix or some other deep-pocketed content factory proudly declare that they don’t tell their amazingly talented creators what to do, ever, because creators are creative and anyone who is creative must always be right! Uhh, what? I’m all for creative people being allowed to shape their stories and employ their craft in intelligent and evocative ways, what is the point of executives at places like that if they don’t make the storytelling better, or at least stop it from turning into an expensive, reeking mess?

Ah, the hell with it, pour me a drink.

No, wait, I promised myself I would not drink when watching, thinking or writing about “True Detective”; that way lies madness and possible death. And yet I must confess that I am nevertheless addicted: I can’t stop watching it, because, as train wrecks go, much of Season 2 was a gift that did not stop giving.

As the sophomore season got off to a hilariously awkward start, Pizzolatto attempted to give us five or six different shows ineptly smushed in one, and most of the grafts were either rejected or took a long time to take. It was fitting that Season 2 began with the rotting, propped-up body of a dead man, because the central plot was a Frankenstein’s monster, a stitched-together creation that smelled more ripe as time went on.

As others have noted, for all its vaulting aesthetics and thematic ambition, Season 1’s saving grace was that it concentrated on only a few elements. There were linked murder investigations in the past and present, and the narrative through line -- which remained strong even when everything else wobbled -- was the complicated friendship of the two cops involved in those cases. Keeping the whole thing coherent were the masterful performances of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey and the sure, supple direction of Cary Joji Fukunaga, who infused long stretches of Season 1 with an air of wounded, graceful lyricism.

In retrospect, it’s more obvious how crucial the performance of McConaughey was; he had a sparkle in his eye that said, “Hey, maybe Rust Cohle is full of it, but at least he's an entertaining bullsh*t artist, am I right?” Both Harrelson and McConaughey had sly sides to their performances, and their ability to be both serious and to use subtle comic shadings to subvert Pizzolatto’s tendency toward preposterous faux-erudition ended up improving and elevating Season 1, which wasn’t too overwhelmed by inelegant detours and misguided deviations until it hit the home stretch.

This time around, it appears that Pizzolatto’s goal was to triple down on every mistake he made in Season 1, which may account for my weird fixation with this year's model: Soaring, unchecked arrogance can be a spectacle in its own right. Part of me knew what I'd be getting: Pizzolatto has never been known for subtlety, after all. Vinci is the most corrupt town! Ray Velcoro is the most tortured detective! This sex party has the most random boobs! These people employ even more sex workers than “Game of Thrones”! Take that, Westeros!

A tendency toward maximalism isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Film director George Miller has a similar urge toward energetic saturation, but the difference is, his characters are clearly delineated and his world-building ferociously complete and joyfully imaginative. But this season of the HBO show has hardly been “True Detective: Fury Road,” and more’s the pity. It’s been, for the most part, a series of grim, humorless attempts to crib from various kinds of noir, to shove 15 pounds of plot into a shoddily made 10-pound bag and to come up with something that could eventually incubate its own organic narrative drive.

And that didn’t happen consistently until Episode 7.

Finally, the “Serpico” homage that Colin Farrell had been starring in steered decisively away from his painfully uninteresting family drama and gave the actor a chance to simply brood and throw off waves of charisma, which he did effortlessly. The reasonably straightforward cop procedural that Rachel McAdams has been appearing in also came into focus, and kudos to McAdams being light on her feet and exceedingly savvy as she skillfully navigated Season 2’s iffy construction. Like Harrelson and McConaughey, both of these actors are magnetic and able to underplay and elevate the sometimes overwrought material they’re given, and when Velcoro and Bezzerides interacted in Episode 7, they and director Dan Attias managed to recreate some of the old magic. (By the way, it’s gross and immature that Pizzolatto went out of his way to mock Fukunaga this season, given that it’s even more obvious now how much the show has suffered in his absence.)

Not having one director for the season was a mistake, but Season 2 labored under the cloud of a much bigger one. The lead weight pulling the whole thing under has been Frank Semyon (Vaughn); the storylines set at his home and workplace were often among the most painfully inept minutes of television HBO has aired in recent memory. Vaughn was miscast and Kelly Reilly has been criminally underused as his wife, and very few things this season were more poorly handled than their sodden, circular conversations about having a child. Sidebar: I could write a whole "True Detective" piece about its nagging wives, cartoonish mothers and women largely defined by the assaults they've endured. In Season 2, there are exponentially more of them than there were in Season 1. (Take that, critics!) But … ehnnnn. Not rising to the bait today.

The season hasn’t been a complete train wreck, and that’s half the reason I couldn’t look away. It was hard not to love the DGAF characters played by W. Earl Brown and Richie Coster, who gleefully stole scenes from under their more famous co-stars just by having fun with this mishmash of “Chinatown” and every pulp detective novel ever set west of the Rockies. The scene of Velcoro getting shot by the masked man and the visits to the office of Rick Springfield, Creepy Plastic Surgeon, were suitably freaky and purplishly entertaining, and I’m OK with any scene that involves Rachel McAdams getting very stabby.

But for long stretches, the show itself reminded me of Ani Bezzerides’ e-cigarette; a little douchey, full of artificial ingredients, not good for you and faintly ridiculous. And then, finally, the second half of the seventh episode made everything that came before it almost worth the pain.

The scene of Velcoro and Bezzerides staring at each other with wounded, vulnerable eyes was hypnotic, and, in Vinci, Vaughn finally, finally locked into a new gear. He was masterful at playing a suddenly conciliatory Frank, who hid an ocean of rage underneath a bland, dead-eyed smile. The plot finally lurched forward, and most of the shaggiest and extraneous elements of Season 2 were burned down like Frank’s club and casino, to be missed by no one.

For long stretches, the seventh episode of “True Detective” was almost dialogue-free, proving again that when it's working, the show is a canny combination of minimalist dialogue and saturated atmosphere. What worked in that episode -- and elsewhere in the season -- derived from unpredictable alchemy created by actors and evocative moments handled gracefully by directors. In last Sunday's episode, what I loved about “True Detective’s” first season -- the quiet atmosphere of sad rage and frustration and the air of vulnerable, doomed romance -- at long last crept back to center stage.

So what will “True Detective” sift from the ashes when it finally wraps up Season 2? Who knows, but I have a feeling that Season 3, which is probably inevitable, will serve as another object lesson in the dangers of unchecked hubris, because Pizzolatto doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is likely to get out of his own way. “We get the world we deserve,” eh? Critics have been pretty hard on Season 2. What kind of harsh lesson will we deserve in Season 3?

If Stan knows, he’s not telling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ef=mostpopular
You notice how people who write these articles aren't writing tv shows?

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
post #2364 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
This is probably the best explanation. The first season built a lot of credits with people, and no one wants to quit watching when it could turn around and flash some of the goodness of the original. Season three will be the true arbiter. We'll see how quick the hook is then.
So true, I did not hate season 2 but found it often confusing, numbing and style over substance. I did love the way it was shot and liked Farrell and Adams performances. Tighten the story for season three, don't have endless plot threads and I may give it a shot (if there is a 3).

Season 1 was a small dialogue fueled story, I hope they return to that formula.
post #2365 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Maybe season three could be True (Private) Detective? I'd watch that. I liked season two. Was it as good as the first? No, but it was still good. Colin Farrell was awesome, and I've never really been a fan of his.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
rdubuk likes this.
post #2366 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 235
You know Stan would have had Frank's back and not let him get ambushed like that.
post #2367 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post
You notice how people who write these articles aren't writing tv shows?
And people who repost COMPLETE articles in order to post a single line aren't being very nice to their fellow AVS members. Especially a very LONG article.
heepman likes this.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
Mr. Video
My Geek Images
post #2368 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Maybe they could get Veronica Mars to do season 3 and go dark like Rob Thomas wanted to do. Of course we could get rid of Pizzolato then.
post #2369 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe "The Wire" led me to believe that HBO was special but not so much now.
this season of True Detective was trying too hard to be like The Wire with it's emphasis on the economical and social aspects of an American city

Quote:
I think it's the opposite...I think most people don't like shows that make them think and are too complicated...most people want simple stories...LOST in its prime was just too smart, I feel the same about True Detective...yes Season 2 had its faults but overall the writing was pretty clever and if you took the time to understand what was going on most people would appreciate it more...my hope is that this season will be appreciated more as time passes...plus as you stated, I think too many people were constantly comparing this to Season 1...yes none of the characters matched the excellence of McConaughey but overall the plot was better...people have selective memories about Season 1...it pretty much followed the same pattern as this season (time jump, a relatively minor/unseen character revealed as the killer etc)

the major issues with Season 2 were 1) too many minor characters who barely had any screen time or were barely mentioned became integral to the overall story...this led to problem #2) the plot became way too complicated for most people to follow and required lots of rewinding and homework to fully comprehend...and finally 3) Vince Vaughn was horribly miscast...some movies/TV shows don't get appreciated during their initial run and it's only a few years later that people realize how good it was- Deadwood, Firefly etc...I hope this is one of those cases
Nayan likes this.
post #2370 of 2493 Old 08-12-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
While the lightning in a bottle of MM and WH from Season One was never recaptured (and likely never will) .. Season Two was, for me anyway, not a waste of viewing time .. if I had any suggestion for Mr Nic, it would have been to have built the season around Rachel McAdams since even with her limited screen time, she was flat out great in the role ..

Vince was my primary problem and I had reservations about him when casting was announced .. I felt most every scene he had he just sucked the ambiance out of the room ..

Throughout the season, the photography was top notch, and that hint of a "China Town" feel stayed true ..

Great TV .. ?? Depends on your definition .. but, any way you slice it, it seems to have kept many watching, including the nay sayers .. so, there is that ..

Looking forward to Season 3 ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page