'True Detective' on HBO HD - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 514Likes

Old 08-13-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Thanks, I can't take credit for that one. Prior art from internet unknown. I wish I would have thought it up. It's perfect.

I remember watching Lincoln Lawyer, wanting to hate the guy because of all the chick flicks he was in and how much all the girls loved him. Halfway through that movie I had to give it to the guy and realign my rating of him. He's the real deal.
Yeah, Matthew McConaughey's performance in The Lincoln Lawyer convinced me that he was a lot more than a beefcake pretty boy. I should add that the film was based on the book of the same name by one of my favorite thriller writers, Michael Connelly. I think it's one of his best and McConaughey did a great job of portraying one of my favorite fictional characters, Mickey Haller.
adpayne likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yeah, Matthew McConaughey's performance in The Lincoln Lawyer convinced me that he was a lot more than a beefcake pretty boy.
His performance in the Lincoln commercials convinced me that he's an airhead.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
The Lincoln commercials with Matthew McConaughey are stupid and pretentious but I can't blame that on McConaughey. I suspect that he held his nose and cashed the checks.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
especially since Fukunaga seemed to get a lot of the credit for Season 1 while Pizzolatto seems to be getting all of the blame for Season 2
No wonder.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Thanks, I can't take credit for that one. Prior art from internet unknown. I wish I would have thought it up. It's perfect.
That it is.

Quote:
I remember watching Lincoln Lawyer, wanting to hate the guy because of all the chick flicks he was in and how much all the girls loved him. Halfway through that movie I had to give it to the guy and realign my rating of him.
If you want to see what MM was capable of doing before LL, try Reign of Fire with Christian Bale.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253556/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
did everyone catch the dig at Cary Fukunaga that Nic Pizzolatto put into Episode 3?...on the fake movie set the sleazy/shady director (alcoholic prima donna who alienated his crew and got mixed up in sex-party shenanigans) is played by a guy that resembles Fukunaga...Pizzolatto and Fukunaga had a major falling out so it looks like Nic couldn't resist getting in some parting shots at him...especially since Fukunaga seemed to get a lot of the credit for Season 1 while Pizzolatto seems to be getting all of the blame for Season 2
I didn't catch that, but after reading a few things about the guy, I'm not too surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
LOL.

Quote:
The Lincoln commercials with Matthew McConaughey are stupid and pretentious but I can't blame that on McConaughey. I suspect that he held his nose and cashed the checks.
1) Lincolns are fine cars.
2) The commercials are "stupid and pretentious."
3) I hope MM got a very FAT check.
gwsat and Nayan like this.

RIP --- The National Geographic Society (Jan. 1888 - Sept. 2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
the guy comes off as smart but also very stubborn and sure of himself...
Someone who works in Hollywood is stubborn and arrogant, you say? That's completely unheard of!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
In the New Golden Age of TV, with shows like "Breaking Bad" being praised by Anthony Hopkins as "the finest ensemble cast acting he'd ever seen in his entire career" .. the stigma of TV and subsequently, commercials, as somehow a lesser medium for stars like McConaughey is fading ..

The Lincoln commercial is widely considered a spoof of Rust ..

I think it's odd that anyone would find McConaughey's willingness to shill for Lincoln strange in any way .. Clint Eastwood starred in a Chrysler ad that aired at the Super Bowl in 2012, Brad Pitt starred in much-parodied Chanel perfume ad the same year, and Charlize Theron has been in a number of ads for Dior’s J’Adore perfume, and these are just a few of the many that are more than happy to accept a check .. Samuel L. Jackson doesn’t really need more money from filming a Capital One commercial .. and then we have Rob Lowe that's more than willing to morph into "Super Creepy Rob Lowe" or whatever other alter-ego they pay him to assume ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
I don't know if it's ballyhoo or not, but I read somewhere that McConaughey actually approached Ford to do the commercial because he was a fan of the Lincoln brand. That you remember it means the commercial did its job. "I don't care what you think about me just so you remember my name" is pretty much what drives advertising.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 52
MM had me at Dazed and Confused. Stole the show, a star was born.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 355
let the Season 3 casting speculation begin...hopefully they'll focus less on getting A list Hollywood stars and more on making the story as good as it can be...bringing back Cary Fukunaga would be great but I don't see him and Nic Pizzolatto working together ever again...the California urban setting also didn't work as well as the Louisiana bayou so hopefully they can come up with a more interesting backdrop...the make believe city of Vinci looked like every other California industrial setting which made it look like your typical episode of CSI

how about Edward Norton for Season 3
Old 08-15-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

how about Edward Norton for Season 3
EN and NP working together?
I WOULD buy a ticket to that one!

Old 08-15-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Only reason I recall the Lincoln commercial is South Park mercilessly mocked the fatuousness of it.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
We don't see the many commercials over seas done by A list actors. It get's much worse than the stupid car commercial.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, Shyamalan has put out a lot of stinkers, but "Unbreakable" is an excellent film.

Jdg
Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Speaking of MM and the Lincoln commercials, here is Jim Carrey doing a hilarious version for SNL:

Old 08-16-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 53
My wife and I were satisfied with the finale. All the incomprehensible plot points were tied together. I'm sure there were some loose ends somewhere, but if so, they've already been complained about here but were negligible to us and didn't diminish our enjoyment.

At the beginning of this season, we had trouble empathizing with the characters, but by the end they had been fleshed out enough that we liked them - even Frank!
heepman likes this.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
Speaking of MM and the Lincoln commercials, here is Jim Carrey doing a hilarious version for SNL:
Coffee exiting out of my nose onto my keyboard in the morning is always a great way to start a day....

Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well, that was a disappointing season. Very watchable, and not all bad, but I had hopes that Pizzolatto was going to be a genius writer we could count on for one great series after the other. Apparently not the case.

The good: Strong, memorable characters. Dialog was quirky and a little pretentious but overall very good. Colin Farrell was very strong.

The bad: The plotting was a mess. Way too complicated, and often unbelievable. Too much violence for its own sake. Not sure about a lot of the casting.

Still, I'll watch again next season.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Going back a bit —

One plot inconsistency which bothered me and got no mention: in the big action sequence, if the meth-gang was tipped off by the town cops that a raid was coming, wouldn't they get the hell out of Dodge rather than get in a fire fight?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Going back a bit —

One plot inconsistency which bothered me and got no mention: in the big action sequence, if the meth-gang was tipped off by the town cops that a raid was coming, wouldn't they get the hell out of Dodge rather than get in a fire fight?
Depends on how much in advance they got the tip. If it was 5 minutes earlier, they wouldn't have any time to do that.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Depends on how much in advance they got the tip. If it was 5 minutes earlier, they wouldn't have any time to do that.
Just like the cops were fed incorrect info, I'm sure the gang was fed incorrect info. Possibly they were told it would be a small group of cops who could be easily ambushed.

The whole thing was engineered as a red herring to lead the cops down a dead-end street (figuratively!) and short circuit the investigation, as well as destroying the fact that the gang was only peripherally involved.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
Just like the cops were fed incorrect info, I'm sure the gang was fed incorrect info. Possibly they were told it would be a small group of cops who could be easily ambushed.
No way to know who knew what when.

Quote:
The whole thing was engineered as a red herring to lead the cops down a dead-end street (figuratively!) and short circuit the investigation, as well as destroying the fact that the gang was only peripherally involved.
It's hard to believe any character in a position of power (as laid out by NP) would deliberately trigger a shoot-out that leaves scores of cops and civilians dead in the streets.
No crooked cop, politician, or businessman would...that's frickin' nonsense.
Automatic death penalty stuff right there.

Not only that, but what drug gang would go the Al-Qaeda martyrdom route for a little bit of dope?
Yeah, exactly....

Old 08-17-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I think it's odd that anyone would find McConaughey's willingness to shill for Lincoln strange in any way .. Clint Eastwood starred in a Chrysler ad that aired at the Super Bowl in 2012, Brad Pitt starred in much-parodied Chanel perfume ad the same year, and Charlize Theron has been in a number of ads for Dior’s J’Adore perfume, and these are just a few of the many that are more than happy to accept a check .. Samuel L. Jackson doesn’t really need more money from filming a Capital One commercial .. and then we have Rob Lowe that's more than willing to morph into "Super Creepy Rob Lowe" or whatever other alter-ego they pay him to assume ..
Many A-listers do Advertising work outside of America, as well. I was surprised the first time I went to Europe at all the billboards with famous actors I'd never seen in a commercial stateside.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Tom Hanks , Mickey Rourke...

It's always in the last place you look.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

They tried to intimate that one of the reasons for the shoot-out was to mask the murder of Dixon who was trying to muscle in on the action. He was the first one shot, remember. A massive fire fight was just a bit over the top to accomplish that though.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Going back a bit —

they were tipped off so they could kill the 4 main detectives on the case, the meth aspect did not play into it
Old 08-17-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
they were tipped off so they could kill the 4 main detectives on the case, the meth aspect did not play into it
Like so much of this season, the blood bath shootout seemed to me to be for its dramatic television effect rather than within the logical flow of the story. Just felt out of place. Pizzolatto needed someone to rein in his excesses.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post
Like so much of this season, the blood bath shootout seemed to me to be for its dramatic television effect rather than within the logical flow of the story. Just felt out of place. Pizzolatto needed someone to rein in his excesses.

Season 1's mid-point also had a shootout (the long extended chase through the housing projects)...followed shortly by a time jump...Pizzolatto needs to try and change up his patterns with Season 3
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDG View Post
Yes, Shyamalan has put out a lot of stinkers, but "Unbreakable" is an excellent film.

Jdg
Too bad the 2nd and 3rd parts of that projected series will never see daylight.
In spite of M's lazy product, it had what could have been the seed of something really good in the next installments, hopefully not directed by M and not under the control of any Marvel banner. Oh Well
Old 08-17-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
Many A-listers do Advertising work outside of America, as well. I was surprised the first time I went to Europe at all the billboards with famous actors I'd never seen in a commercial stateside.
In Japan, lots of ads with American celebs who would never deign to do commercial in the US. "Lost in Translation" used this as a plot point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement