AVS Forum banner

'True Detective' on HBO HD

135K views 3K replies 189 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·
True Detective is an upcoming American television drama series on HBO created and written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Fukunaga. The series stars Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Alexandra Daddario and Elizabeth Reaser, and utilizes multiple timelines to trace two detectives' hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana across seventeen years.

True Detective, which sparked heated bidding after it was taken out to the top cable networks earlier this month, is descried as an elevated serial narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened. The concept is for the 8-episode first season to resolve the mystery at hand, with subsequent seasons using same structure but new characters and story.

Teaser poster

For the official website, please see below.
http://www.hbo.com/true-detective

IMDB link below.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/

You can watch 'True Detective' on HBO starting on Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM CST only on HBO.

See less See more
#3 ·
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson interview via EW

EW: How did you guys get involved in True Detective? Had you been looking for a TV project?

McCONAUGHEY: My agent goes, ''Man, there's this HBO series. It's really quality. Have a look at it.'' I read two episodes, and it was hot s---. It was obvious the writer, Nic Pizzolatto, had a clear identity where you're like, ''This thing knows what it is.'' I met Nic and the director [Cary Fukunaga] in Austin and said, ''I'm in.''

HARRELSON: Before I read it, they told me, ''Matthew is doing this show.'' I said, ''What? Matthew is doing a show?'' That just didn't seem possible. Then I'm like, ''Well, this thing must be unbelievable.''

EW: This season is your characters' story, and next season will be a different story with a totally new cast. Was that part of the appeal of this — that it's a finite thing?

MCCONAUGHEY: I suppose. I wouldn't have said, ''Yeah, I'll commit to six months every year.'' I wouldn't have been ready for that.

HARRELSON: And that will be the appeal for the next two actors who do it.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20771490,00.html

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_100#post_24154312

I am really looking forward to this.

2 of my favorite actors.

Couldn't agree more! Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson march to a different drummer. They manage to give an edge to their performances that I find fascinating. I set up a season pass for the show when I first read about it and am really looking forward to the first episode on 1/12.

Reactions: Young C
#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_60#post_24156199

Couldn't agree more! Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson march to a different drummer.
You gotta admire those 2 guys.

I love their devil-may-care attitude, not to mention both are superb actors.

BTW, have you read Connelly's new Mickey Haller novel "Gods of Guilt?"

I got a copy for Xmas and couldn't put it down....read it in a day and a half.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_100#post_24156790

You gotta admire those 2 guys.

I love their devil-may-care attitude, not to mention both are superb actors.

BTW, have you read Connelly's new Mickey Haller novel "Gods of Guilt?"

I got a copy for Xmas and couldn't put it down....read it in a day and a half.

I have a Hold placed on the CD audio edition of The Gods of Guilt at the Tulsa public library but they have only 9 copies so I have a while to wait. Although the Tulsa library is terrific in most ways, I really miss the OKC library because they order far more copies of CD audio editions of books that Tulsa does. For example the OKC system holds 30 copies of the CD audio edition of the novel, which is about right for a best seller from an author as popular as Connelly. Anyway, I should be getting The Gods of Guilt in the next few weeks. In fairness to the Tulsa library, it took an ice age for them to receive the The Gods of Guilt CDs. That delay, of course, was on the publisher, not the library. Still, I wish they had ordered more copies in the first place.

As you know, I thought Matthew McConaughey was wonderful as Mickey Haller in The Lincoln Lawyer, I hope it works out so that he can play Haller again in a sequel.

#9 ·
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in an HBO drama? Am I going to watch? Are you kidding? Try and stop me.

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast, going above and beyond the model introduced by FX's [wildly uneven] 'American Horror Story'. Good way to enlist A+level talent - like these two dudes - who normally wouldn't commit to an open-ended TV series. Can't wait!

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd#post_24158740

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in an HBO drama? Am I going to watch? Are you kidding? Try and stop me.

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast, going above and beyond the model introduced by FX's [wildly uneven] 'American Horror Story'. Good way to enlist A+level talent - like these two dudes - who normally wouldn't commit to an open-ended TV series. Can't wait!

Exactly. How could this be bad? This show should be fantastic!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_60#post_24158663

As you know, I thought Matthew McConaughey was wonderful as Mickey Haller in The Lincoln Lawyer, I hope it works out so that he can play Haller again in a sequel.
According to IMDB, LL2 is "in development."

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_60#post_24158740

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast
I didn't know this...

#12 ·
Apparently the anthology format is thought to be the new rage drama wise. Like Arch said if this is as good as everyone thinks it will be season 2 will feature a new cast and story. Between this and the return of Shameless and Episodes on SHO, and Banshee on MAX, January is looking pretty good TV wise.

#13 ·
this is my most anticipated show of 2014...looks fantastic...the acting, writing, location etc all look top notch...I stopped watching trailers for this because they started showing too much...I hear it's a slow burn character-driven show where the focus is not on the crime itself but the characters...bring it on!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_100#post_24184524

this is my most anticipated show of 2014...looks fantastic...the acting, writing, location etc all look top notch...I stopped watching trailers for this because they started showing too much...I hear it's a slow burn character-driven show where the focus is not on the crime itself but the characters...bring it on!

I am looking forward to it too. Here is a link to an interesting Grantland piece about the show written by Andy Greenwald. As some of you know, I like Greenwald's stuff both because he writes well and, to me at least, his critical judgments are usually much more sound than those of most critics. Based on the half season of True Detective Greenwald saw, he was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, he admired the performance of its stars and holds out hope that the show's last four episodes will allow it to finish strong. I'm still onboard.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd#post_24185244

I am looking forward to it too. Here is a link to an interesting Grantland piece about the show written by Andy Greenwald. As some of you know, I like Greenwald's stuff both because he writes well and, to me at least, his critical judgments are usually much more sound than those of most critics. Based on the half season of True Detective Greenwald saw, he was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, he admired the performance of its stars and holds out hope that the show's last four episodes will allow it to finish strong. I'm still onboard.

nice review...I read a similar article which stated that the reviewer loved the characters more then the show itself (through 4 episodes)...he also praised the acting and cinematography...either way this sounds like the type of show I would enjoy a lot...the anthology nature is also interesting in that we are guaranteed resolution to the mystery within each self contained season

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_50#post_24158740

Maybe the NBC Mystery Movie format will come back. McCloud, Colombo and Mc Millian & Wife

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd#post_24197577

I'm hoping this show isn't too slow and detective like. I'd like some crime action

from what I'm hearing it will be slow...but slow doesn't mean that nothing is happening...just more of a character driven show where the focus is not so much on the crime itself but the detectives investigating it...anyone ever see the Matthew McConaughey movie, Frailty?...very good movie...this show reminds me of that...I get the feeling that the twist at the end of the movie is what True Detective is going to do as well...

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd#post_24198571

from what I'm hearing it will be slow...but slow doesn't mean that nothing is happening...just more of a character driven show where the focus is not so much on the crime itself but the detectives investigating it...anyone ever see the Matthew McConaughey movie, Frailty?...very good movie...this show reminds me of that...I get the feeling that the twist at the end of the movie is what True Detective is going to do as well...

Yeah, that's the same as I've heard.

True Detective or Shameless.. What to watch live?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco  /t/1502261/true-detective-on-hbo-hd/0_60#post_24201653

Not a bad premiere in my opinion. Had to get used to the style and the pacing.
It is different....and a breath of fresh air for the genre IMO.

Spellbinding storytelling.....a winner, I am hooked.