'True Detective' on HBO HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1414 Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
True Detective is an upcoming American television drama series on HBO created and written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Fukunaga. The series stars Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Alexandra Daddario and Elizabeth Reaser, and utilizes multiple timelines to trace two detectives' hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana across seventeen years.

True Detective, which sparked heated bidding after it was taken out to the top cable networks earlier this month, is descried as an elevated serial narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened. The concept is for the 8-episode first season to resolve the mystery at hand, with subsequent seasons using same structure but new characters and story.

Teaser poster
true_detective_key_art.jpg

For the official website, please see below.
http://www.hbo.com/true-detective

IMDB link below.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/

You can watch 'True Detective' on HBO starting on Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM CST only on HBO.






32VZGEe.gif
Young C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1414 Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Trailer #2
Young C is offline  
post #3 of 1414 Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson interview via EW
woody-harrelson-true-detective.jpg


EW: How did you guys get involved in True Detective? Had you been looking for a TV project?

McCONAUGHEY: My agent goes, ''Man, there's this HBO series. It's really quality. Have a look at it.'' I read two episodes, and it was hot s---. It was obvious the writer, Nic Pizzolatto, had a clear identity where you're like, ''This thing knows what it is.'' I met Nic and the director [Cary Fukunaga] in Austin and said, ''I'm in.''

HARRELSON: Before I read it, they told me, ''Matthew is doing this show.'' I said, ''What? Matthew is doing a show?'' That just didn't seem possible. Then I'm like, ''Well, this thing must be unbelievable.''

EW: This season is your characters' story, and next season will be a different story with a totally new cast. Was that part of the appeal of this — that it's a finite thing?

MCCONAUGHEY: I suppose. I wouldn't have said, ''Yeah, I'll commit to six months every year.'' I wouldn't have been ready for that.

HARRELSON: And that will be the appeal for the next two actors who do it.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20771490,00.html
Young C is offline  
post #4 of 1414 Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Official poster (I think.)
Young C is offline  
post #5 of 1414 Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I am really looking forward to this.
2 of my favorite actors.cool.gif
Young C and gwsat like this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #6 of 1414 Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I am really looking forward to this.
2 of my favorite actors.cool.gif

Couldn't agree more! Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson march to a different drummer. They manage to give an edge to their performances that I find fascinating. I set up a season pass for the show when I first read about it and am really looking forward to the first episode on 1/12.
Young C likes this.
gwsat is online now  
post #7 of 1414 Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Couldn't agree more! Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson march to a different drummer.
You gotta admire those 2 guys.
I love their devil-may-care attitude, not to mention both are superb actors.

BTW, have you read Connelly's new Mickey Haller novel "Gods of Guilt?"
I got a copy for Xmas and couldn't put it down....read it in a day and a half.biggrin.gif
Young C likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #8 of 1414 Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

You gotta admire those 2 guys.
I love their devil-may-care attitude, not to mention both are superb actors.

BTW, have you read Connelly's new Mickey Haller novel "Gods of Guilt?"
I got a copy for Xmas and couldn't put it down....read it in a day and a half.biggrin.gif

I have a Hold placed on the CD audio edition of The Gods of Guilt at the Tulsa public library but they have only 9 copies so I have a while to wait. Although the Tulsa library is terrific in most ways, I really miss the OKC library because they order far more copies of CD audio editions of books that Tulsa does. For example the OKC system holds 30 copies of the CD audio edition of the novel, which is about right for a best seller from an author as popular as Connelly. Anyway, I should be getting The Gods of Guilt in the next few weeks. In fairness to the Tulsa library, it took an ice age for them to receive the The Gods of Guilt CDs. That delay, of course, was on the publisher, not the library. Still, I wish they had ordered more copies in the first place.

As you know, I thought Matthew McConaughey was wonderful as Mickey Haller in The Lincoln Lawyer, I hope it works out so that he can play Haller again in a sequel.
Young C likes this.
gwsat is online now  
post #9 of 1414 Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in an HBO drama? Am I going to watch? Are you kidding? Try and stop me. smile.gif

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast, going above and beyond the model introduced by FX's [wildly uneven] 'American Horror Story'. Good way to enlist A+level talent - like these two dudes - who normally wouldn't commit to an open-ended TV series. Can't wait!
Young C likes this.
archiguy is online now  
post #10 of 1414 Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in an HBO drama? Am I going to watch? Are you kidding? Try and stop me. smile.gif

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast, going above and beyond the model introduced by FX's [wildly uneven] 'American Horror Story'. Good way to enlist A+level talent - like these two dudes - who normally wouldn't commit to an open-ended TV series. Can't wait!

Exactly. How could this be bad? This show should be fantastic! biggrin.gif
Young C is offline  
post #11 of 1414 Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post


As you know, I thought Matthew McConaughey was wonderful as Mickey Haller in The Lincoln Lawyer, I hope it works out so that he can play Haller again in a sequel.
According to IMDB, LL2 is "in development."

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast
I didn't know this...
Young C likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #12 of 1414 Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
acebreathe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: No Plfd NJ
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Apparently the anthology format is thought to be the new rage drama wise. Like Arch said if this is as good as everyone thinks it will be season 2 will feature a new cast and story. Between this and the return of Shameless and Episodes on SHO, and Banshee on MAX, January is looking pretty good TV wise.
Young C likes this.
acebreathe is offline  
post #13 of 1414 Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
this is my most anticipated show of 2014...looks fantastic...the acting, writing, location etc all look top notch...I stopped watching trailers for this because they started showing too much...I hear it's a slow burn character-driven show where the focus is not on the crime itself but the characters...bring it on!
Young C likes this.
TitusTroy is offline  
post #14 of 1414 Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

this is my most anticipated show of 2014...looks fantastic...the acting, writing, location etc all look top notch...I stopped watching trailers for this because they started showing too much...I hear it's a slow burn character-driven show where the focus is not on the crime itself but the characters...bring it on!

I am looking forward to it too. Here is a link to an interesting Grantland piece about the show written by Andy Greenwald. As some of you know, I like Greenwald's stuff both because he writes well and, to me at least, his critical judgments are usually much more sound than those of most critics. Based on the half season of True Detective Greenwald saw, he was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, he admired the performance of its stars and holds out hope that the show's last four episodes will allow it to finish strong. I'm still onboard.
Young C likes this.
gwsat is online now  
post #15 of 1414 Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I am looking forward to it too. Here is a link to an interesting Grantland piece about the show written by Andy Greenwald. As some of you know, I like Greenwald's stuff both because he writes well and, to me at least, his critical judgments are usually much more sound than those of most critics. Based on the half season of True Detective Greenwald saw, he was a little disappointed. Nevertheless, he admired the performance of its stars and holds out hope that the show's last four episodes will allow it to finish strong. I'm still onboard.

nice review...I read a similar article which stated that the reviewer loved the characters more then the show itself (through 4 episodes)...he also praised the acting and cinematography...either way this sounds like the type of show I would enjoy a lot...the anthology nature is also interesting in that we are guaranteed resolution to the mystery within each self contained season
Young C likes this.
TitusTroy is offline  
post #16 of 1414 Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in an HBO drama? Am I going to watch? Are you kidding? Try and stop me. smile.gif

Love the idea that they're going to re-boot this show from season to season, including cast, going above and beyond the model introduced by FX's [wildly uneven] 'American Horror Story'. Good way to enlist A+level talent - like these two dudes - who normally wouldn't commit to an open-ended TV series. Can't wait!

Maybe the NBC Mystery Movie format will come back. McCloud, Colombo and Mc Millian & Wife smile.gif
Young C likes this.
Gandu is offline  
post #17 of 1414 Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm hoping this show isn't too slow and detective like. I'd like some crime action biggrin.gif
fewychewy likes this.
Young C is offline  
post #18 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I'm hoping this show isn't too slow and detective like. I'd like some crime action biggrin.gif

from what I'm hearing it will be slow...but slow doesn't mean that nothing is happening...just more of a character driven show where the focus is not so much on the crime itself but the detectives investigating it...anyone ever see the Matthew McConaughey movie, Frailty?...very good movie...this show reminds me of that...I get the feeling that the twist at the end of the movie is what True Detective is going to do as well...
Young C likes this.
TitusTroy is offline  
post #19 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
John Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 10,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
John Mason is offline  
post #20 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

from what I'm hearing it will be slow...but slow doesn't mean that nothing is happening...just more of a character driven show where the focus is not so much on the crime itself but the detectives investigating it...anyone ever see the Matthew McConaughey movie, Frailty?...very good movie...this show reminds me of that...I get the feeling that the twist at the end of the movie is what True Detective is going to do as well...

Yeah, that's the same as I've heard.

True Detective or Shameless.. What to watch live? eek.gif
Young C is offline  
post #21 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaTaGuMp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Fingers crossed, I REALLY need something new that is TOP NOTCH, RIP Breaking Bad.
Young C likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
WaTaGuMp is online now  
post #22 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
C*Tedesco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not a bad premiere in my opinion. Had to get used to the style and the pacing. Lot of flash backs/forwards, but it did keep my interest. Not usually a fan of Matt M, but this role so far works.
Young C likes this.
C*Tedesco is offline  
post #23 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
ToddR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ankeny, IA
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This show kinda makes me want to sleep with a light on tonight. eek.gifredface.gif
Young C likes this.
ToddR is offline  
post #24 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Absolutely first rate writing and screenplay. I'm in.
Young C likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #25 of 1414 Old 01-12-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post

Not a bad premiere in my opinion. Had to get used to the style and the pacing.
It is different....and a breath of fresh air for the genre IMO.

Spellbinding storytelling.....a winner, I am hooked.smile.gif
Young C likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #26 of 1414 Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 948
darthrsg is online now  
post #27 of 1414 Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Very different indeed. Actually fell asleep during the last 15 minutes though (not a sign of a bad/boring program tongue.gif )

McConaughey's voice was so settle and calm.
Young C is offline  
post #28 of 1414 Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Very different indeed. Actually fell asleep during the last 15 minutes though (not a sign of a bad/boring program tongue.gif )

McConaughey's voice was so settle and calm.

My fear for this is the prevalent use of second screens by the general population. Put the damn thing down and be entertained and don't come in here complaining it sucked because it didn't hashtag a plot point and hold your hipster hand.
Young C and dfergie like this.
darthrsg is online now  
post #29 of 1414 Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
C*Tedesco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

My fear for this is the prevalent use of second screens by the general population. Put the damn thing down and be entertained and don't come in here complaining it sucked because it didn't hashtag a plot point and hold your hipster hand.

#agreed
Young C likes this.
C*Tedesco is offline  
post #30 of 1414 Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Very different indeed. Actually fell asleep during the last 15 minutes though (not a sign of a bad/boring program tongue.gif )
NOOOOoooooo......eek.gif
The last 15 minutes had a very important reveal.
Young C likes this.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off