post #3331 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

The information flow in F1 is funny. When RB was smoking everyone week in and out, all behind the scenes info was kept close to the vest. Now every announcement is all about how they have a second a lap in the bank for next week. It's not just Red Bull either.

They're like a bunch of kids. The one kid who knows he can kick everyone's butt doesn't say much. The other kids who usually get their butts kicked are making all the noise and preening around.
True dat.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As an old time navy guy I can't resist commenting on the WW-II IOWA class battleships, one of which was the MISSOURI. There is an old riddle that asks, "What is an elephant?" The answer is "It is a horse built to Corps of Engineers specifications." Well, the IOWA class battle wagons were built to Corps of Engineers specifications. smile.gif As is so often the case and despite how sturdy and damn near impregnable they were, they were obsolete by the time they were launched but that is a story for a different time and place.

A thousand pardons for continuing this OT discussion but I just couldn't help myself. Help me before I post OT again!
Good stuff sailor. smile.gif

post #3333 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

The information flow in F1 is funny. When RB was smoking everyone week in and out, all behind the scenes info was kept close to the vest. Now every announcement is all about how they have a second a lap in the bank for next week. It's not just Red Bull either.

They're like a bunch of kids. The one kid who knows he can kick everyone's butt doesn't say much. The other kids who usually get their butts kicked are making all the noise and preening around.
How true.biggrin.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3334 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

As an old time navy guy I can't resist commenting on the WW-II IOWA class battleships, one of which was the MISSOURI. There is an old riddle that asks, "What is an elephant?" The answer is "It is a horse built to Corps of Engineers specifications." Well, the IOWA class battle wagons were built to Corps of Engineers specifications. smile.gif As is so often the case and despite how sturdy and damn near impregnable they were, they were obsolete by the time they were launched but that is a story for a different time and place.

A thousand pardons for continuing this OT discussion but I just couldn't help myself. Help me before I post OT again!

Eh, there's seventeen days till the next race, I'm sure we'll touch on a little of just about everything before then, as per usual. You may proceed. smile.gif
post #3335 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Eh, there's seventeen days till the next race, I'm sure we'll touch on a little of just about everything before then, as per usual. You may proceed. smile.gif
+1 lol

post #3336 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey guys,
Ive got this rash and its in a kind of embarrasing place...

post #3337 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I disagree that they were obsolete by the time they were built. Could the resources used to build them have been more efficient if used elsewhere... yes. But the BB's (especially the fast BB's of the Iowa, SD, and N Carolina classes, because they could keep up with the carriers) served some very useful purposes. First the big guns were extremely effective for shore bombardment. They were more powerful than most bombs of the day, and quite accurate. And secondly they were very useful in anti-aircraft defense for carrier and invasion fleets. The 5"/38 DP's were probably the best heavy AA guns of the war, and they bolted down 40mm and 20mm guns pretty much everywhere they could find space for them. Add to the fact that the large BB's could usually shrug off a kamikazee hit or two and their value became obvious.

If anyone wants an amusing story read this: http://www.ussiowa.org/general/html/willie_d.htm How the Iowa was nearly torpedoed by a US destroyer... with FDR on board.
Quote:

I think we can all be forgiven, this is a more interesting discussion than F1 at the moment. Barring a miracle, or disaster if you're a Merc fan, we know who is winning.
post #3338 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Hey guys,
Ive got this rash and its in a kind of embarrasing place...

Must be the rubber. Check with Pirelli.biggrin.gif
post #3339 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Imagining the future of F1: Human Ignition (Ep.2)

Formula 1 is an ever changing and adapting sport. The cars have come a long way since the sports beginnings back in the 1950s with the introduction of aerodynamics, ground-effect and now hybrid-engines.

What might the distant future hold for the sport? As part of a collaboration between energy-drink Burn, Lotus and a handful of designers, we take a look at some extreme examples.

In the second episode of 'Human Ignition', socio-ecological architecture firm Terreform are on a mission to turn dull, one-dimensional circuit design on its head to make the track a character of its own.

In this second episode of Human Ignition Sci-Fi creeps closer to reality — but is their vision a feasible one? Best keep an open mind.

Terreform's "intelligent" track has set new standards of F1 futurism. Where can we go next? Find out in Human Ignition - Episode 3, out on April 25.
post #3340 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Imagining the future of F1: Human Ignition (Ep.2)

Great. Hipsters with iMacs shaping the future of F1. With any luck I'll be dead before all that kicks in.
post #3341 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Tech Talk: Ferrari's blown wheel-nuts in China

Ferrari made a step forward at the weekend to close in on, or possibly even pass, Red Bull as the second quickest team in race-trim after Fernando Alonso took third behind the Mercedes duo.

One of the noticeable upgrades was the Italian team's blown front wheel hubs. This certainly isn't a new concept, with both Red Bull and Williams using similar systems last year.

However this year, both have dropped the innovation. Not because it doesn't work, but because the FIA introduced tighter wheel-nut regulations to include a fail-safe should a wheel not be secured properly.
This rendered both Red Bull and Williams solutions unusable without major redesigns - of which they're most likely working on.

Ferrari have managed to design their blown-hubs with the fail-safe included - the idea is actually believed to have come from Lotus after Ferrari signed their head of aerodynamics, Dirk de Beer, late last year. Lotus are expected to race their version soon.

The innovation takes airflow from the new enlarged brake-ducts which feed a channel running through the spinning axle. The airflow then exits out of the centre of the wheel-nut (see hollow wheel-nut above).

Without the blowing effect (see green arrows below), the airflow coming off the front-wing endplate hits the front-tyre and then, due to the curved shape of the wheel, follows the contour and is directed toward the cooling opening. This is a waste of critical flow.

By pushing air through the wheel-nut, it pushes the wake coming off the front-wing endplate further outward (see orange arrows as they meet the blue arrows). This improves the outwash effect and channels the airflow toward the sidepods and crucially, toward the diffuser.

The additional airflow also reduces drag by decreasing the low pressure area behind the front tyre and increases brake cooling efficiency.

TeflonSoul likes this.
post #3342 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tech Talk: Ferrari's blown wheel-nuts in China

Something like that would be awesome to see in the wind tunnel.
post #3343 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Something like that would be awesome to see in the wind tunnel.
Keep in mind that a hipster with an iMac probably designed that.
Tack likes this.

post #3344 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Prospects not good as Ecclestone trial begins

Bernie Ecclestone's bribery trial begins on Thursday.

It could be the final lap in a long and lucrative career for the 83-year-old Briton, as two courts have already found that he did indeed bribe the already-jailed former F1 banker Gerhard Gribkowsky.

The criminal trial in Germany could see Ecclestone also out of a job and in jail.

In the indictment papers, he is accused of paying $44 million to "win over" Gribkowsky, who has already been convicted in the same jurisdiction for receiving the bribes.

According to F1 business journalist Christian Sylt, quoting from the indictment, Ecclestone offered Gribkowsky "personal gain" in exchange for dispensing "with BayernLB as a formula one shareholder as quickly as possible."

Writing in the Guardian, Sylt said Ecclestone is not commenting this week.

"It doesn't look terribly good for him," Sylvia Schenk, a senior sports lawyer for the anti-corruption agency Transparency International, told Bloomberg.

"Under a compliance point of view you have to remember that Ecclestone has already admitted paying the $44 million to Gribkowsky, and for reasons which don't seem to be really kosher," she said.

"It's not exactly an exhibit of integrity. But the justice system still needs to prove his individual responsibility."
post #3345 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep in mind that a hipster with an iMac probably designed that.

Nah, as far as I can tell, it's actually finished and put into service. smile.gif
post #3346 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Geez. I thought that was over. I thought he bribed the judge to get an acquittal.

post #3347 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Geez. I thought that was over. I thought he bribed the judge to get an acquittal.

They're probably still haggling over the amount. That little penguin's got enough cash to bribe just about anyone.
post #3348 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nah, as far as I can tell, it's actually finished and put into service. smile.gif
And it was designed by a grey haired old man with a slide rule and drawing board.

post #3349 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They're probably still haggling over the amount. That little penguin's got enough cash to bribe just about anyone.
lol Little penguin!

post #3350 of 6752 Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol Little penguin!

You remember our little Pengu. Running around looking for nickels in a room full of dollars.

post #3351 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another excellent Race Strategy Report from James Allen:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/04/insight-how-rosberg-came-through-ricciardo-was-compromised-and-alonso-got-away-with-it/

post #3352 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That didn't take long RB, err...I mean Mercedes. So much for "letting them race"!

Mercedes chiefs disagree over team orders

A debate is raging inside Mercedes.

The dominant German team declared proudly after the Bahrain grand prix that letting Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg go wheel-to-wheel in a thrilling battle was the right decision for the sport.

But on Thursday, boss Toto Wolff has been quoted as saying team orders might soon have to come into play.

The Austrian told the BBC that Bahrain was "a very particular situation", due to Mercedes' dominance.

But "The narrower the margin gets, the more you have to look out," said Wolff.

"Our rule is that the competition is enemy number one, not your teammate, so there might be situations in the race where you have to consider that, but we will see what happens," he added.

Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda, however, told British television Sky in China last Sunday that he fundamentally disagrees with "Toto and Paddy".

Paddy Lowe is another team boss at the Brackley based team.

Lauda said: "They (Hamilton and Rosberg) are racing drivers. Leave them alone, unless they hit. Which they won't."
post #3353 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

F1 board admits Ecclestone reign is over

The criminal trial is only just beginning, but F1's board has already conceded that the Bernie Ecclestone reign is at an end.

The banker he allegedly bribed, Gerhard Gribkowsky, is already in jail for receiving the $44 million, and a UK judge has also declared that the sport's 83-year-old chief executive paid a bribe.

Still, Ecclestone's defence appeared to get a boost this week when it emerged that German prosecutors concede that the diminutive Briton was in fact blackmailed by Gribkowsky.

Writing in Forbes, and quoting from the indictment, F1 business journalist Christian Sylt explained that Gribkoswky was putting "pressure" on Ecclestone by "repeatedly insinuating" that Ecclestone had control of his family trust.

Ecclestone claims he paid the $44 million only because Gribkowsky was 'shaking me down' over his personal tax affairs.

"It seems to be a textbook example of blackmail," Sylt said.

Nonetheless, as the Munich proceedings begin on Thursday, the signs for Ecclestone are worrying.

Writing in the Times, Kevin Eason said Ecclestone could avoid jail by accepting he is guilty and paying more than a staggering $400 million.

Even so, the Ecclestone era is "over", Eason quoted a source close to F1's owners CVC and the board as saying.

The report said the board has been advised by a London law firm not to keep Ecclestone in charge after a judge called him "untruthful and unreliable".

The source explained: "In truth, it (Ecclestone's reign) has been over for a while, but Bernie has been allowed to continue as the face of the sport until this legal advice, which was devastating."
post #3354 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh.....yeah, sure you don't......

Mercedes: 'We don't want to win all 19 races'

In a rather odd admission, Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda says the Anglo-German outfit doesn't want to win all 19 races this season.

The outfit has so far won four from four in dominant fashion, with the only challenge coming from an intra-team battle between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.

But Lauda says it would be bad for F1 and it would see the sport in new ground, though both Ferrari and McLaren have come close. In 2004 Ferrari took 15 of the 18 wins on offer, whilst McLaren dominated the 1988 season to win all but one.

It's not something the Austrian would like to see happen.

"We do not want to win all the races," he told Blick. "It definitely wouldn't be good for Formula 1."

However Lauda fully expects Mercedes' rivals to catch-up and apply some pressure later in the season, once the engine advantage has faded.

"What we are going through now is the harvest of many months of work, particularly in the area of the turbo engine," he added.

"But we do not think the current situation is normal. Our opponents will certainly be getting stronger."
post #3355 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the revelation, Captain Obvious. rolleyes.gif

Häkkinen: Alonso dominating Räikkönen

Two-time Formula 1 World Champion Mika Häkkinen reckons fellow Finn Kimi Räikkönen has been "dominated" by Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso during the first four flyaway rounds of the 2014 season.

While Alonso is the nearest rival to pace-setting Mercedes duo Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton after claiming a podium finish at the recent Chinese Grand Prix, Räikkönen occupies 12th overall with a best finish of seventh.

"Kimi has problems and they need to be solved," said Häkkinen in his post-race column for Hermes.

"Alonso is simply dominating Kimi. It's not a small difference. After four races Kimi needs to do better. The car can't be so bad that it is impossible to compete with Alonso. Kimi has to improve, and he has to do it quickly."

Häkkinen suggested that simulator work could useful for Räikkönen but says he must make his own choices.

"The simulator is a good alternative, so you can try out all sorts of settings," Häkkinen went on to explain.

"However, I don't want to give Kimi advice, because I assume that a World Champion will find the right solution for his problems so he can beat his team-mate and deliver decent performances in the Drivers' Championship."
post #3356 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That didn't take long RB, err...I mean Mercedes. So much for "letting them race"!
For some reason, I don't think Lauda will win this argument.

The only reason why MB is still in F1 is the opportunity to increase sales of their roadcars.
Their Board had to be persuaded this would happen, with the goal being F1 World Champions.
From their POV (and every other team), it's all about making $$$, not about satisfying the egos of employees.

Quote:

F1 board admits Ecclestone reign is over

The criminal trial is only just beginning, but F1's board has already conceded that the Bernie Ecclestone reign is at an end.

Even so, the Ecclestone era is "over", Eason quoted a source close to F1's owners CVC and the board as saying.

The report said the board has been advised by a London law firm not to keep Ecclestone in charge after a judge called him "untruthful and unreliable".

The source explained: "In truth, it (Ecclestone's reign) has been over for a while, but Bernie has been allowed to continue as the face of the sport until this legal advice, which was devastating."
The only question is WHO will replace him?

Quote:

Uh.....yeah, sure you don't......

Nikki is on a roll.biggrin.gif

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how this saga continues.
Buxton's column was an fine analysis of the situation.wink.gif

post #3357 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mercedes chiefs disagree over team orders

A debate is raging inside Mercedes.

The dominant German team declared proudly after the Bahrain grand prix that letting Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg go wheel-to-wheel in a thrilling battle was the right decision for the sport.

But on Thursday, boss Toto Wolff has been quoted as saying team orders might soon have to come into play.

The Austrian told the BBC that Bahrain was "a very particular situation", due to Mercedes' dominance.

But "The narrower the margin gets, the more you have to look out," said Wolff.

"Our rule is that the competition is enemy number one, not your teammate, so there might be situations in the race where you have to consider that, but we will see what happens," he added.

Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda, however, told British television Sky in China last Sunday that he fundamentally disagrees with "Toto and Paddy".

Paddy Lowe is another team boss at the Brackley based team.

Lauda said: "They (Hamilton and Rosberg) are racing drivers. Leave them alone, unless they hit. Which they won't."
Old hat stuff. Each other are their only competition. It will get uglier as the season progresses.

post #3358 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Häkkinen: Alonso dominating Räikkönen

Two-time Formula 1 World Champion Mika Häkkinen reckons fellow Finn Kimi Räikkönen has been "dominated" by Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso during the first four flyaway rounds of the 2014 season.

While Alonso is the nearest rival to pace-setting Mercedes duo Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton after claiming a podium finish at the recent Chinese Grand Prix, Räikkönen occupies 12th overall with a best finish of seventh.

"Kimi has problems and they need to be solved," said Häkkinen in his post-race column for Hermes.

"Alonso is simply dominating Kimi. It's not a small difference. After four races Kimi needs to do better. The car can't be so bad that it is impossible to compete with Alonso. Kimi has to improve, and he has to do it quickly."

Häkkinen suggested that simulator work could useful for Räikkönen but says he must make his own choices.

"The simulator is a good alternative, so you can try out all sorts of settings," Häkkinen went on to explain.

"However, I don't want to give Kimi advice, because I assume that a World Champion will find the right solution for his problems so he can beat his team-mate and deliver decent performances in the Drivers' Championship."
Hes pretty much repeating what Ive been saying. And what, almost certainly, everyone at Ferrari is thinking.

post #3359 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Sky F1 has a week of programmes to mark 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/485861/Senna_week_on_Sky_Sports_F1/
post #3360 of 6752 Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

Sky F1 has a week of programmes to mark 20th anniversary of Ayrton Senna's death

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/485861/Senna_week_on_Sky_Sports_F1/

And on a related note, the newest Autoweek has a multipage Senna article. I have not had a chance to actually read it but there are some great photos. I did happen to see a side bar that recapped the legal proceedings that followed his death. I had forgotten, or perhaps never knew that Adrian Newey was the designer of Senna's Williams.

Brian
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page