2014 Formula 1 in HD - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Kinda OT but relevant for us car guys! I also wouldn't mind that gift for my birthday!

Very cool! I would have loved that when I was 7. I'm spoiled now. Ferraris and Lambos are a common occurrence around here. After having worked on them, detailed them and rode in them endless times, the excitement wears off. Now to own one? I'd be pretty excited about that! biggrin.gif Until the insurance payment showed up! eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Senna – The undisputed King of qualifying

40 percent of the 162 races he entered on pole position

Just insane especially since he wasn't with a dominate team forever.

▼ Honda recreates Senna's 89 Suzuka pole lap with speakers and lights ▼

Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:

Very cool! I would have loved that when I was 7. I'm spoiled now. Ferraris and Lambos are a common occurrence around here. After having worked on them, detailed them and rode in them endless times, the excitement wears off. Now to own one? I'd be pretty excited about that! biggrin.gif Until the insurance payment showed up! eek.gif
Man,you are spoiled.Down here I see all kinds of cool stuff,unfortunately not on hands .My friend works a second job as a valet at the Boca Raton Resort,he gets to drive all the good stuff,and makes good coin doing it.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:

I would love to detail one of those cars but yeah owning one is one of those dreams I have. I just want a 2008 low mileage F430 6 speed manual tranny.biggrin.gif

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:

I would love to detail one of those cars but yeah owning one is one of those dreams I have. I just want a 2008 low mileage F430 6 speed manual tranny.biggrin.gif
I'd love to have that 370Z you sold.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I'd love to have that 370Z you sold.

Miss the Z but one day I will get another toy. I was eye balling this guys 800whp Toyota Supra on Autotrader, it is at least more 'practical' than the Z because it has back seats my two kids can occupy.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems like a good idea, but then you realize that all of those crazy angles and vents make it a royal pain in the ass! That and the fact that the car is so low, being hunched over the whole time kills your lower back. It is quite the relief when it is done.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems like a good idea, but then you realize that all of those crazy angles and vents make it a royal pain in the ass! That and the fact that the car is so low, being hunched over the whole time kills your lower back. It is quite the relief when it is done.

I guess I could take breaks when my body aches ha!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

F1′s most dominant car: McLaren-Honda MP4/4

You could see that the dominance of Infiniti Red Bull Racing over the past four seasons was one of the most impressive when it comes to the eras that have been a part of Formula One’s history. But there is only one beast that tore through a season unlike any other: McLaren-Honda MP4-4.

In 1988, this car, powered by a 1.6 litre V6 turbocharged engine, won all bar one of the sixteen Grand Prix that season, and saw a new addition to the ranks of champions in the form of the late Ayrton Senna.

It also bore major significance, as Ron Dennis aligned himself with the Japanese automotive giant to go for major success, with Senna’s relationship with Honda bringing a further dynamic to the team’s performance. The Brazilian’s work at Lotus for the previous three years had helped to bring Honda into the equation.

One of the major characteristics of the car was the low-line concept that Gordon Murray had first used back in his days at Brabham, which only brought disaster due to the BT55’s BMW engine having issues such as oil starvation and severe turbo lag.

It simply worked because of the Honda V6 engine slotting in very well with the carbon-fibre chassis, and due to the low sitting position, it enhanced the MP4-4’s centre of gravity. Any car with a lower centre of gravity will have better handling characteristics and enhance the mechanical grip that keeps the car stuck to the track.

Switching to the Honda RA168-E engine for that year was a challenge for the Japanese manufacturer in terms of fuel economy, due to the governing body reducing the fuel capacity of the cars by 23 percent. But performance was not to be completely compromised, as reliability was also another aspect that every engine supplier needs to ensure successful times. The amount of turbo boost pressure was a saving grace for Dennis’ squad, as they decided against using a revised version of the previous TAG engine, which was producing 1,060bhp and 960bhp in qualifying and race trim respectively.

With a new engine to help adapt to the new changes, it was the marriage of a technical dream that would make the season one to remember, especially as the driving position that is now ‘de rigeur’ in modern-day Formula One was on the edge of perfection. The driver’s helmet had to be at a certain point below the mandatory roll bar, which was not to the liking of drivers like Alain Prost.

This in turn also helped to reduce drag and enhance the aerodynamic properties, so a high-octane missile was unleashed on the Formula One world. It even surpassed a predecessor in the form of the TAG-Porsche powered MP4-2 when it came to the results that the MP4-4 achieved in qualifying and races. The outright one lap pace was at some point three seconds faster than the rest of the field, which was especially the case when the car’s potential was fully exploited at tracks like Monza.

In some respects, one team Brawn GP has mirrored the transition from one engine supplier to another when it comes to making a call that works out for the best back in 2009. Even at that point, the team could not keep its early run of good form due to an unsecure future and the rest of the pack being able to made significant inroads when it came to development.

Such was the single mindedness of Dennis and the team that it was a case of not holding back in the race for glory. His two drivers that year were fighting tooth and nail to got for the ultimate prize also further helped to gain that success, with a car that clearly changed the way F1 cars have been designed in subsequent generations.

The regulations may have changed and evolved the sport into its current configuration, but in the last turbo era, the McLaren-Honda MP4-4 took no prisoners and didn’t hold back in the hands of its drivers. It is a car unlike any other and one that has made its mark in the history of the Formula One world. A car of its kind that we will never see the likes of again.

TECH TALK WITH WILLIAM TYSON

McLaren’s 1988 MP4/4 needs no introduction. After only one day of testing before the season began, the car was already at least a second a lap faster than its predecessor. A complete castaway from the 1987 MP4/3, the slender nose and overall lower appearance paved the way for Formula 1 design of the future. Its core foundations were based on the rather unsuccessful 1986 Brabham BT55, with Gordon Murray (the lead designer of the BT55) assisting with developments on the MP4/4.

McLaren’s partnership with Honda during the last year of turbo-charged power (until 2014, of course) was integral to their dominant success. Whilst a lot of engine manufacturers were concentrating hard on the naturally aspirated engines that would come into place in 1989 onwards, Honda developed a very short, compact 1.5l V6 turbo, mounted very low in the car. Whereas the BT55 had also utilised mounting a smaller engine longitudinally in the same way as the MP4/4, McLaren opted to lower the crankshaft which also allowed gearbox to hunker the floor of the car, reducing the centre of gravity and boosting corner speed.

Another benefit of this layout was how the bodywork that wrapped around the engine freed up airflow to the rear wing which, back in the 80s, were pretty big and contributed a huge amount to the car’s overall downforce. Allied to the fact that the team also chose to place the driver in a slightly more horizontal position (something that had not been done since the late 60s), centre of gravity was further reduced, so it was win-win-win!

As with most successful racing cars, there is often not one silver bullet that makes it quick, but a combination of numerous smaller details that rack up to better laptime. In the case of the MP4/4, nothing was overlooked to find ultimate racing perfection.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

That 88' Honda was pretty awesome!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That 88' Honda was pretty awesome!
It was a screamer that was not only fast but looked great.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Pair of LaFerraris Spotted on Streets of Monaco

The new breed of ultra-supercar is truly impressive. From the McLaren P1 to the Porsche 918, it is incredible to see some hybrid technology leveraged in such a way as to create some of the most high-performance vehicles the world has ever seen. Among that crop is the LaFerrari.

All of these vehicles are insanely rare and outrageously expensive, but a Ferrari will always be a Ferrari, and seeing one in person is just that much more special. So seeing a single version of LaFerrari in person would be a special occasion– let alone two in one place at the same time!

Unsurprisingly, the duo were spotted on the streets of Monaco. It is amazing how their presence reduces the impact of seeing the Ferrari 458 Italia in the background. For reference, LaFerrari features a 6.3-liter V12 engine, combined with a HY-KERS regenerative braking system borrowed from Ferrari’s Formula 1 program. The combined output is 950 horsepower, and it can get from zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) in less than three seconds, on its way to a top speed of 217 mph.

Oh yeah, and it costs just under $1.7 million, explaining why it is so rare to see two together– and why the only place you’d catch two together would be a place like Monaco! It makes one wonder– would you call two LaFerraris “LesFerraris”? Since we’ll never own even one, it’s not really our problem then, is it?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ride along with a $50 million Ferrari 250 GTO; what happens next will amaze you

We, those of us who type into the web for a living, often stand accused of overselling our wares, with the "you won't believe the mind-blowing awesomeness" headlines that regularly leave one's mind unblown. It's no better in the corner of the Internet where the gearheads live, where nary a day goes by without superlatives pouring out like syrup at an IHOP.

I offer this because it would be so simple to just skip this latest video from Petrolicious as a "oh look, another pretty red car" stunt from the daily video flood and go back to worrying about work, wealth and weight loss. Many will know it's not just any old Ferrari, but a 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO, one of the most valuable vehicles on the planet (others have sold for $50 million plus.) But when you click, you'll find the rarest of footage; a 250 GTO on the road, not just in motion but with its V-12 in full wail, commanded by Derek Hill, son of America's only F1 champion Phil Hill. This was Phil Hill's GTO, the one he drove at Daytona and elsewhere, now wrung out half a century later.

I don't need to tell people who love cars to watch this; they'll do so, probably over and over, simply for the sound alone and the view from behind the windshield. But you don't need to like or know or even care about anything mechanical to appreciate what's shown here. Simply being open to beauty, power and the emotions that survive generations will be enough. It's the best, the most, the ultimate, the awesomest. You will believe.
TeflonSoul likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ride along with a $50 million Ferrari 250 GTO; what happens next will amaze you

While I am all for driving cars like this instead of letting them sit in a warehouse or garage for the rest of their life, I don't see me pushing the car at all. Not one that cost 50 million plus! There's way too much stuff that can happen on a road like that.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone posted the pics earlier in the thread, but here's a vid:

Mark Webber Takes Maria Sharapova For A Spin In A Porsche 918 Spyder:

Russian tennis ace Maria Sharapova recently signed on as a Porsche brand ambassador, and it turns out that job comes with a few perks. The tennis star got a ride in a Porsche 918 Spyder, driven by Formula One star Mark Webber. Talk about star power.

Unsurprisingly, Sharapova enjoyed her ride, although she said the 918 is probably out of her price range. With a price tag of around $845,000 and a production run of just 918 units, Porsche's plug-in hybrid flagship isn't exactly an impulse buy.

Sharapova is no stranger to Porsches, though. Before becoming a brand ambassador, she won a white 911 S Cabriolet as part of the prize of a Porsche-sponsored match in Stuttgart, Germany. She also has a custom Panamera which she helped design.

The 918, meanwhile, is a little more intense than a 911 Cabriolet or Panamera. A plug-in hybrid powertrain built around a 4.6-liter V-8 engine produces 887 horsepower and 940 pound-feet of torque, yielding a car that will do 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds, but also return 67 MPGe combined in hybrid mode.

Even without any electric assistance, the V-8 will achieve a still-respectable 22 mpg. The 918 can also drive on electric power for up to 12 miles at speeds of up to 93 mph.
BGLeduc likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Journalists Drive the New Ferrari LaFerrari and Love It, Of Course

The McLaren P1 is the height of British engineering. The Porsche 918 was crafted by the German greats at Stuttgart. But the Ferrari LaFerrari- that’s a whole new story entirely, one that’s allegedly about to rewrite the history of Ferrari altogether.

The most hardcore, highest-performing car Ferrari has ever built in the history of ever. And a few lucky journalists got the chance to drive it. Of course, they mostly loved it, but how could one not fall in love with this V12, hybrid-powered, 950 horsepower monster Prancing Horse? We sure as hell would.

Watch reviews from Car and Driver, EVO, and Autocar below:

Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have some homework to do tonight!biggrin.gif

Thanks for the vids zeus!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While I am all for driving cars like this instead of letting them sit in a warehouse or garage for the rest of their life, I don't see me pushing the car at all. Not one that cost 50 million plus! There's way too much stuff that can happen on a road like that.
That was one of the best vids I've ever seen. I have admired that car practically since birth but I dont think I've ever seen and heard one driven like that. The in car stuff was just ecstacy. I have to say, though, that I prefer the looks of the Series I with the curved glass in the back.
I did see a video one time of one of those classic Concours type races where the guys race their cars like this for fun. I didnt see the wreck but a guy with a GTO had wrecked and they showed the front bumper all torn up. The owner acted like it was no big deal and said it should cost less than $1 million to fix.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just got done watching the IndyCar GP at Alabama. The Barber Motorsports Park Raceway is a great track. Great race!
Started in the rain and was a damp track throughout. Lots of different pit strategies with passing and fighting the whole race. Several hairy restarts. Good stuff.
Montoya was doing well until he spun out on cold slicks shortly after leaving the pits. Ryan Hunter-Reay won and Marco Andretti finished second. Great to see two Americans and one being an Andretti do so well.

Time for MotoGP in Argentina now.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Just got done watching the IndyCar GP at Alabama. The Barber Motorsports Park Raceway is a great track. Great race!
Started in the rain and was a damp track throughout. Lots of different pit strategies with passing and fighting the whole race. Several hairy restarts. Good stuff.
Montoya was doing well until he spun out on cold slicks shortly after leaving the pits. Ryan Hunter-Reay won and Marco Andretti finished second. Great to see two Americans and one being an Andretti do so well.

Time for MotoGP in Argentina now.

I only watched it for a short time, but did anyone notice that pit-out is a bit like Interlagos?
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not that familiar with Interlagos.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be happy just to sit in it and take in the smell of it.And of course,take it out and trash it,God willing. eek.gif
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a dangerous place!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

This is a dangerous place!
lol Because I dont have pit out at Interlagos commited to memory?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the Autocar UK video the best and that car is poetry in motion for sure! Can't wait to see how it stacks up to the 918 and P1

Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol Because I dont have pit out at Interlagos commited to memory?

Don't sweat it. Kimi wasn't big on that either in '12.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didnt see the wreck but a guy with a GTO had wrecked and they showed the front bumper all torn up. The owner acted like it was no big deal and said it should cost less than $1 million to fix.

Must be nice to not sweat a $1 million dollar repair! eek.gif
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

No biggy…what caught my eye was that pit out at Interlagos and Barber is a downhill left hand turn immediately after leaving the pit lane proper. In interlagos pit out is much longer than at Barber, but the downhill left hand aspect off it seemed like it may have been inspired by Interlagos.

It's a long story, and I may have relayed in this forum at some point, but on a business trip to Sao Paulo, I was taken on a lap of the Interlagos circuit. At night. In a rental car.

My host somehow found his way onto the grounds. It was dark, and the next thing we knew, we were entering the pit lane as a local track day was wrapping up, but from the wrong direction. I thought certain we would be arrested. When we realized where we were, he said "Wanna take a lap?". Visions of being in a Brazilian jail not withstanding, I said why not? When will I ever again get the chance.

Anyway….that's that.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

No biggy…what caught my eye was that pit out at Interlagos and Barber is a downhill left hand turn immediately after leaving the pit lane proper. In interlagos pit out is much longer than at Barber, but the downhill left hand aspect off it seemed like it may have been inspired by Interlagos.

It's a long story, and I may have relayed in this forum at some point, but on a business trip to Sao Paulo, I was taken on a lap of the Interlagos circuit. At night. In a rental car.

My host somehow found his way onto the grounds. It was dark, and the next thing we knew, we were entering the pit lane as a local track day was wrapping up, but from the wrong direction. I thought certain we would be arrested. When we realized where we were, he said "Wanna take a lap?". Visions of being in a Brazilian jail not withstanding, I said why not? When will I ever again get the chance.

Anyway….that's that.

That's awesome. smile.gif What kind of car was the rental?