2014 Formula 1 in HD - Page 123 - AVS Forum
First ... 121  122  123 124  125  ... Last
HDTV Programming > 2014 Formula 1 in HD
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:06 PM 05-07-2014
Just watched Breaking Barriers. Very cool. Check it out.

oink's Avatar oink 08:36 AM 05-08-2014
Lauda continues to be a real driver:


Niki Lauda says Sebastian Vettel was right to defy team orders in China as it's a sign of a "proper racing driver attitude."

Vettel once again courted controversy when, last time out in China, he said "tough luck" when told to move over for team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.

It was not the first time that the reigning World Champion had shown defiance in the face of team orders not in his favour and Lauda reckons it won't be the last.

Asked by The Mirror if Vettel was right to defy the team, the triple World Champion said: "Yeah. Absolutely. That is a proper racing driver attitude.

"Being an ex-driver I can say to make this call from the pit wall, only annoys drivers. It does not give them any help."

Lauda was also quick to point out the fact that Mercedes, despite racing for the win in Bahrain, refused to issue team orders to Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

"Horner gave Vettel an order and he said 'screw you' so there is a difference between them and us.

"We don't give orders. Everyone saw in Bahrain, where they were told to watch the cars and we let them race. That is our philosophy."

oink's Avatar oink 08:38 AM 05-08-2014
New chassis for Seb:


Sebastian Vettel will have a new chassis for this weekend's Spanish GP with Red Bull insisting it is a normal change.

The reigning World Champion has had a difficult time at the start of this year's Championship and has managed just one podium in four races.

Added to that, Vettel has twice been asked to move aside for team-mate Daniel Ricciardo with Helmet Marko claiming after China that Vettel's chassis may have a crack.

And although Red Bull have not confirmed, the German will have a new chassis this weekend in Barcelona.

"Sebastian will get a new chassis for Barcelona, which was scheduled at the start of the season and then the next one will be for Dan at some time around Silverstone," the team's chief designer Rob Marshall told the Red Bull website.

"Normally we make four or five chassis during the year, maybe six, so it wouldn't be unusual for each driver to change at least once or twice during the year. Normally they would use at least two."

Asked if a chassis change will benefit the German, Marshall said: "It shouldn't be, as the idea is that they are all the same. Drivers don't always want to change them - they can get attached to a particular chassis and when they are on a good run they like to hang on to it for as long as possible!

"From our point of view we'd rather give them one or two new chassis during the season that we have been able to check out in the factory using various testing methods."

zeus33's Avatar zeus33 09:29 AM 05-08-2014
First Test:
2015 Porsche 918 Spyder
Fire and Ice: They Don't Build Supercars Like This Every Day


http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1405_2015_porsche_918_spyder_first_test/?eml=802265&sp_rid=4332037


Later, at our regular test venue at California Speedway, the car's AWD grip and zero-rpm electric torque rail-gunned it to 60 mph in an insane 2.4 seconds (a record). It also halted from 60 in a teensy 94 feet, pulled 1.12 g while cornering, and blitzed to another record around our figure-eight course, where both Carlos Lago and I sensed what Randy meant about the brakes' unpredictability.



BGLeduc's Avatar BGLeduc 09:33 AM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

New chassis for Seb:


Sebastian Vettel will have a new chassis for this weekend's Spanish GP with Red Bull insisting it is a normal change.

The reigning World Champion has had a difficult time at the start of this year's Championship and has managed just one podium in four races.

Added to that, Vettel has twice been asked to move aside for team-mate Daniel Ricciardo with Helmet Marko claiming after China that Vettel's chassis may have a crack.

And although Red Bull have not confirmed, the German will have a new chassis this weekend in Barcelona.

"Sebastian will get a new chassis for Barcelona, which was scheduled at the start of the season and then the next one will be for Dan at some time around Silverstone," the team's chief designer Rob Marshall told the Red Bull website.

"Normally we make four or five chassis during the year, maybe six, so it wouldn't be unusual for each driver to change at least once or twice during the year. Normally they would use at least two."

Asked if a chassis change will benefit the German, Marshall said: "It shouldn't be, as the idea is that they are all the same. Drivers don't always want to change them - they can get attached to a particular chassis and when they are on a good run they like to hang on to it for as long as possible!

"From our point of view we'd rather give them one or two new chassis during the season that we have been able to check out in the factory using various testing methods."

Ricciardo to Newey: Yo…Adrian….have you seen my car? I can't seem to find it.
zeus33's Avatar zeus33 01:33 PM 05-08-2014
I would have to agree. If Renault has found more power like they said earlier in the week, RB very well could be on the front row this weekend. The track is definitely a RB track.


Red Bull has more downforce - Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton suspects the Red Bull has got more downforce than his Mercedes and will therefore be closer at this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

The Circuit de Catalunya rewards downforce more than engine power and could be Red Bull's best opportunity this season to get close to Mercedes.

"The Red Bulls are in the back of my mind thinking that they have a car that has a little bit more downforce than us, they just don't have as much power as us maybe," Hamilton said. "Here is a circuit where it is very much a downforce dependant circuit, so I think this weekend will be a real good indication of how good their car is. Definitely Fernando [Alonso] picked up a lot of pace at the last race, so it's the Red Bulls and Ferraris that we're going to keep an eye out for.

"We have less straights here and shorter straights as well. When you look at data or you look at GPS followings of other teams their loss is in the latter parts of the straights so you've reduced that significantly here.

"So, naturally already before everyone has put the upgrades on this weekend the gap would be closer I think. Everyone is going to be bringing upgrades this weekend - some more than others - so it will be interesting to see if that gap is still there or not."

Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 03:18 PM 05-08-2014
Theres a show on the Smithsonian Channel called "B2: Stealth at War". It has some great insider info and beautiful shots of the B2 flying and bombing.
oink's Avatar oink 04:09 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I would have to agree. If Renault has found more power like they said earlier in the week, RB very well could be on the front row this weekend. The track is definitely a RB track.

"So, naturally already before everyone has put the upgrades on this weekend the gap would be closer I think. Everyone is going to be bringing upgrades this weekend - some more than others - so it will be interesting to see if that gap is still there or not."[/I]
Theoretically, this should be closer race....theoretically.wink.gif
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 06:32 PM 05-08-2014
The entire 24 Hours of LeMans will be covered between Fox Sports 1 and 2.
stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 06:56 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The entire 24 Hours of LeMans will be covered between Fox Sports 1 and 2.
Thanks for the heads up. I miss the flag to flag Speed used to do. Goood stuff.
Tack's Avatar Tack 07:48 PM 05-08-2014
Of all the garbage going on in F1 these days, this kind of stuff may be the saddest.


"Sutil didn't eat for two days to lose weight"

It's not like he's some massive Hippo. Apparently we are going to have to rate driving skill like they do in boxing. By weight class. The next Senna may be forever unknown because he's a portly 180 lbs. What a joke.



http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/156907.html
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 07:52 PM 05-08-2014
Yeah, that is sad.
I dont see how he could perform and concentrate at the skill level these guys need after not eating for 2 days.
Tack's Avatar Tack 08:09 PM 05-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Yeah, that is sad.
I dont see how he could perform and concentrate at the skill level these guys need after not eating for 2 days.

It could become very dangerous. I've "made weight" at 210 lbs. and looked like an anorexic. Passed out a few times too. I definitely don't want to see someone lose consciousness at full tilt halfway through the Curva Parabolica because the formula requires the driver to resemble a small girl.

Instead of the title of fastest man in the world, they are going to be fastest man in the world under 150 lbs. Talent doesn't chose it's body.
oink's Avatar oink 10:37 PM 05-08-2014
Weight loss (or weight gain) has always been a part of sports.

I don't know what the answer is....
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:00 AM 05-09-2014
FP1

Pos No Driver Team Time/Retired Gap Laps
1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:25.524 33
2 6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:25.973 0.449 36
3 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:26.509 0.985 38
4 14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:27.121 1.597 33
5 7 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:27.296 1.772 33
6 20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.788 2.264 37
7 22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.811 2.287 29
8 19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 1:27.824 2.300 31
9 13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault 1:27.866 2.342 42
10 26 Daniil Kvyat STR-Renault 1:28.049 2.525 35
11 27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1:28.074 2.550 31
12 25 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Renault 1:28.246 2.722 30
13 99 Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari 1:28.284 2.760 33
14 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes 1:28.698 3.174 33
15 21 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:29.105 3.581 24
16 11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 1:29.129 3.605 34
17 8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1:29.493 3.969 26
18 17 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari 1:29.991 4.467 26
19 4 Max Chilton Marussia-Ferrari 1:31.148 5.624 28
20 10 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault 1:31.338 5.814 38
21 9 Marcus Ericsson Caterham-Renault 1:31.586 6.062 39
zeus33's Avatar zeus33 09:05 AM 05-09-2014
I guess it's safe to say I'm a Ferrari fan. The most interesting part of this test article about the Lambo? This snippet: and next year's 660-hp Ferrari 458-T
I knew that was the next step after they turbocharged the California, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. It should be pretty sick! Alas, I still can't afford one! mad.gif

2015 Lamborghini Huracan Review

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/2015-lamborghini-huracan-review/?eml=804219&sp_rid=4332037
zeus33's Avatar zeus33 09:09 AM 05-09-2014
I know it's only practice, but as I suspected early on, Merc still has speed in hand. I really thought RB would shine here, but a second behind Lewis? Good luck. At least Kimi is doing better. I hope it continues.



zeus33's Avatar zeus33 09:13 AM 05-09-2014
Spanish F1 Grand Prix: Vettel: Failure ‘a big consequence’

Sebastian Vettel said Red Bull only suffered a small failure on his car which had “a big consequence” as he missed most of Friday

Sebastian Vettel said Red Bull only suffered a small failure on his car in Friday practice for the Spanish Grand Prix which had “a big consequence” as he missed most of the day's running.

Having completed just four laps in the morning session, Vettel stopped on track with a wiring loom issue which could not be solved in time for him to return to the track at all in either FP1 or FP2. Vettel played down the significance of the problem and said it had nothing to do with any new parts Red Bull had brought to Barcelona.

“It's a small failure but obviously a big consequence because I couldn't go out anymore,” Vettel said. “But it's nothing new that we had on the car, it's something that happened in that area for the first time so fortunately it happened today but unfortunately we lost the opportunity to prepare for Sunday with two cars. So now I have to rely on what Daniel did today and hopefully get in to the rhythm straight away tomorrow morning.”

Explaining the problem in more detail, Vettel said it still would have been a big job on previous generations of car.

“We had a simple failure in one of the looms, so basically it was rubbing at one bit which caused a short which caused the car to stop. So we decided to change the whole bit, unfortunately that's a pretty big job, which you can imagine with today's cars. But even in the past there were sensors and looms everywhere, so it takes a while to strip the car, take everything apart and put it back in, so we couldn't go out again today.”

Asked about the Mercedes pace, Vettel said it was clear the leaders retained a large advantage after the three-week break.

“We knew that they are quick and obviously they are still a lot quicker than everybody else! We'll see tomorrow and we'll see in the race.”

Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 09:51 AM 05-09-2014
Difficult to say at this point but Kimi seems to be improving. Not unexpected but great to see.
Tack's Avatar Tack 11:12 AM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Difficult to say at this point but Kimi seems to be improving. Not unexpected but great to see.

I'd like to get excited for Ferrari, but if the lap time disparity between Hamilton and everyone else holds for the race, he could end up almost lapping the field. It's ridiculous how fast those things are.

Nice to see the cars back on the track after a long break. The in car cams look great. There are some pretty unrelenting corners on this circuit.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 11:22 AM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I'd like to get excited for Ferrari, but if the lap time disparity between Hamilton and everyone else holds for the race, he could end up almost lapping the field. It's ridiculous how fast those things are.

Nice to see the cars back on the track after a long break. The in car cams look great. There are some pretty unrelenting corners on this circuit.
I hate to say it but Ive only been hoping for 2nd in the Constructors for a while. Thats why Im anxious to see Kimi start pulling his weight.
oink's Avatar oink 11:45 AM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I guess it's safe to say I'm a Ferrari fan. The most interesting part of this test article about the Lambo? This snippet: and next year's 660-hp Ferrari 458-T
I knew that was the next step after they turbocharged the California, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. It should be pretty sick! Alas, I still can't afford one! mad.gif
Guess it's time we go put in our order for a 458 Speciale.tongue.gif

Thanx for the link.
I really like the look of this car.

Check out the awesome interior:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/2015-lamborghini-huracan-review/photo_00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I know it's only practice, but as I suspected early on, Merc still has speed in hand. I really thought RB would shine here, but a second behind Lewis? Good luck.
As to be expected, MB did not standstill with developing their car.

Like I said before, only a minor miracle can keep them from winning the championships.
It's really about the run for 2nd.wink.gif

Quote:
At least Kimi is doing better. I hope it continues.
Looks like the upgrades are to his liking.
I am SO ready for some great battles with Alonso.....Go Kimi!
cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I'd like to get excited for Ferrari, but if the lap time disparity between Hamilton and everyone else holds for the race, he could end up almost lapping the field.
Nice to see the cars back on the track after a long break.
This.
zeus33's Avatar zeus33 12:54 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I really like the look of this car.


I really like what they did with the front and the side, but the straight on back view looks wrong. The front and sides are very bold, aggressive and angular, muscular if you will, whereas the back is just round and droopy looking with no angles or definition. It just doesn't go with the rest of the car.

Bad ass:





Not so much:


oink's Avatar oink 01:58 PM 05-09-2014
You have a point.

IMO, it does keep with smoothed-out lines of the rest of the car.

Other than a 458, I would pick the McLaren 650s over the Lambo.
oink's Avatar oink 02:17 PM 05-09-2014
Throw a supercharger on it and BINGO: 713 RWHP.



stevew24963's Avatar stevew24963 03:02 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Throw a supercharger on it and BINGO: 713 RWHP.


You all can keep your Italian mistress's. It's love American style for me. I'm taken the Vette. 😃
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 03:14 PM 05-09-2014
The Lamborghinis are beginning to all look pretty much the same.
Tack's Avatar Tack 03:28 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

You all can keep your Italian mistress's. It's love American style for me. I'm taken the Vette. 😃


All day, every day.
zeus33's Avatar zeus33 03:40 PM 05-09-2014
Cough...cough....LOTUS!

Renault losing patience with late-paying teams

Renault has warned late-paying Formula One teams that they risk having their engine supply withheld if matters are not resolved in the next few weeks.

Speaking to reporters at the Spanish Grand Prix, fifth race of the season, Renault Sport F1 head Jean-Michel Jalinier indicated the French engine maker was losing patience.

Renault supply world champions Red Bull and sister team Toro Rosso as well as cash-strapped Lotus and tail-enders Caterham, owned by Malaysia's AirAsia aviation entrepreneur Tony Fernandes.

Jalinier did not mention any customers by name but the Red Bull teams, owned by the Austrian energy drink company and billionaire founder Dietrich Mateschitz, are unlikely to be behind with payments.

"Our resources are coming from two sources: One is Renault, and we have been able to secure the right resources...and the other part of it is coming from the teams, because we are selling the engines to the teams," he said.

"On this part I must say we are not at an acceptable situation, because some of the teams are just late in payments, and at the time you need to spend resources to catch up you cannot afford to have those (late) payments."

The new V6 turbo hybrid power units are considerably more expensive than last year's now-defunct V8s and Renault started the season playing catch-up with rivals Mercedes well ahead on performance.

Jalinier said that while Renault could live with late payments "up to a certain point", the critical point - likely to be the showcase Monaco Grand Prix later this month - was fast approaching.

"It's just weeks away...then we'll have to address the situation with the teams and take decisions, because that's something we cannot carry forward," he said.

Asked whether that could include withholding engines, Jalinier replied: "That is an option. You first need to work with your team and get back to some kind of financial situation."

Renault and Caterham announced in November 2012 a joint venture for production of a high-performance road car but a source familiar with the matter told Reuters in March that it had been scrapped.

Neither Lotus, who had financial difficulties last year, nor Caterham have scored points so far this season.

Tack's Avatar Tack 03:59 PM 05-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Spain broadcast info.

ttt


First ... 121  122  123 124  125  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop