AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 215
McLaren 650S

Hey oink,

Looks like there will be a 2016 CTS-V:

2015 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Special Edition Announced Ahead Of New 2016 CTS-V Next Year

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090492_2016-cadillac-cts-v-spy-shots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Jay Leno Finally Takes His McLaren P1 For A Spin:

post #3783 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Nah, I know. I'm just trying get into new things. tongue.gif

I'm gonna be a dork either way.

Just don't be surprised if you don't really get into it. Most of us are tied up into all the minutiae of the sport as well as the races. The actual on track racing is the front door to becoming a fan, and right now the door needs a paint job.

Either way, you're always welcome to dork out here with us dorks.

I can't stop saying dork now. wink.gif
post #3784 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

right now the door needs a paint job.

You don't like silver Tack? tongue.gif
post #3785 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:

Just don't be surprised if you don't really get into it. Most of us are tied up into all the minutiae of the sport as well as the races. The actual on track racing is the front door to becoming a fan, and right now the door needs a paint job.

Either way, you're always welcome to dork out here with us dorks.

No pictures? You're slippin'.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3786 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
The only thing on the list I wished I had is the red contrasting stitching for my ebony interior.
The Recaro seats are like sitting on concrete...they can have 'em.rolleyes.gif

Tonite I'll try to find some photos on-line of this "Special Edition."wink.gif

The spyshots don't wow.

I did notice the M5 as part of the group though
Looks like they are using it as a benchmark:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

To my eyes, the car looks huge.

In fact, the new gen CTS doesn't do much for me.
I'm sure it is a step up in many ways, but the other overall aesthetic gives off a more luxury vibe (not necessarily a bad thing), rather than a bad-ass, balls-to-the-wall look that I like about mine.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3787 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

No pictures? You're slippin'.

Too infraction jumpy these days. My avatar reflects my current status around here. wink.gif
post #3788 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Jay Leno Finally Takes His McLaren P1 For A Spin:
It must be good to be Jay Leno....cool.gif

Quote:

Gee, thanx....
You guys have cursed me with this word running thru my head tonite....rolleyes.gif

post #3789 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Silver is fine just not that much silver.

I was rooting for you guys this weekend. All I can say is that Ferrari has the two best drivers for their cars right now. I think if it were anyone else, there would be some smashed up red carbon fiber balls of scrap about now.
post #3790 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

How about red?
post #3791 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

Too infraction jumpy these days. My avatar reflects my current status around here. wink.gif
Not true, Tack !
post #3792 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It must be good to be Jay Leno....cool.gif

I think it must be real good to be Jay.
Quote:

Gee, thanx....
You guys have cursed me with this word running thru my head tonite....rolleyes.gif

Sorry about that.

I'm not sorry.
DORK
post #3793 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

lol I had to switch over to desktop to see it.

post #3794 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sorry.
DORK
Pure Dorkism if there ever was.biggrin.gif

post #3795 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pure Dorkism if there ever was.biggrin.gif

The first principles of Dorkism state that "only in realization and the embrace of your internal Dorkiness will one find one's eternal peace". Dorkeois scholars maintain this to be true even today. Indeed, food for thought my friend.
post #3796 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The first principles of Dorkism state that "only in realization and the embrace of your internal Dorkiness will one find one's eternal peace". Dorkeois scholars maintain this to be true even today. Indeed, food for thought my friend.
Hmmmm, I think I'll have another beer.....
Tack likes this.

post #3797 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Silver is fine just not that much silver.

I was rooting for you guys this weekend. All I can say is that Ferrari has the two best drivers for their cars right now. I think if it were anyone else, there would be some smashed up red carbon fiber balls of scrap about now.

I definitely agree.

Yeah, now that Kimi is up to speed, the drivers are doing everything in their power to win. Unfortunately, the car sucks pretty bad and even Alonso can't save them. It's not for lack of trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

How about red?

I would love red.......but unfortunately, the only red will be the red that all of the Ferrari fans will be seeing this season as we get our ass handed to us.......again!
post #3798 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Tonite I'll try to find some photos on-line of this "Special Edition."wink.gif
I found these very NON-Special photos.

Don't like the blacked-out front grills.
Against the glossy black of the sheet metal, chrome is much more dramatic IMO.

Red calipers have been an available option for several years now....nothing "special" about that.

An extra emblem or 2?
Meh.

Red stitching....I like.
In my car, the stitching is gray and doesn't really stand out much.

post #3799 of 6326 Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

unfortunately, the only red will be the red that all of the Ferrari fans will be seeing this season as we get our ass handed to us.......again!
Tonite, before you drift off to sleep....think Brawn....think Newey....imagine the possibilities.....wink.gif

post #3800 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FIA isn't impressed:

The proposals for cutting the costs of Formula One put forward by the biggest teams in Formula are a 'joke', according to FIA President Jean Todt.

With cost-cutting becoming more and more prevalent in Formula One, some of the sport's bigger teams were asked to propose a three-year plan Todt.

Todt, however, was hugely disappointed with the contents of said proposals, which include the return of active suspension and other standard parts, as well as a ban on tyre warmers.

"What was proposed? It was a joke," Todt told Autosport during last weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

"The proposals that they seem happy with are to reduce budgets by $2 million, which is ridiculous."

As a result, Todt has asked some of the smaller teams on the grid to come up with alternative proposals.

"We know the budgets are between $100 million and $400 million," the Frenchman continued.

"When we speak about costs we must speak about reducing it by 30-40 per cent. Then we can feel comfortable.

"So what can we do? I have some ideas. I gave some input, and I want to see what the teams say.

"We will meet with all the people and hopefully they are sensible people and they come with some sensible suggestions."

The main reason behind the rapidly increasing cost of running a F1 team is the rate at which staffing numbers are increasing, Todt added.

"What costs money is headcounts," he said.

"They are big.

"When we speak to ban two days of testing, it is ridiculous because it costs nothing on the overall budget."

post #3801 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

He has a point with headcounts. I'd bet that some of the top teams are easily spending $100 million on salaries alone. Ferrari is spending over $50 million for just 2 drivers.

post #3802 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tonite, before you drift off to sleep....think Brawn....think Newey....imagine the possibilities.....wink.gif

One can dream, can't they? smile.gif

Ferrari seeking to sign Newey, Brawn and Bell

Bob Bell could be the next piece of the Ferrari soap opera as the legendary Maranello team looks to end its current slump as quickly as possible and return to the top of the Formula 1 pecking order.

Already reported by multiple authoritative sources is that the fabled Maranello team is prepared to ‘break the bank’ and sign Red Bull’s Adrian Newey, who is already paid a reported $12 million per year.

“Ferrari badly want Adrian Newey,” a Ferrari source told the Guardian newspaper. “I don’t know whether they have talked to him yet, but if not, they will.”

But Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said the 55-year-old is happy at Milton Keynes.

“He has made his feelings clear to me about the team,” Horner commented after the outbreak of the latest reports. The speculation is purely that. You can understand why Ferrari would be looking.”

Newey, however, may not be Ferrari’s only target. Ross Brawn has already been linked with a return to Italy, and now the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo claims that Bob Bell is another possible recruit.

It was announced last month that Bell will be leaving his role as dominant Mercedes’ technical director, the German team saying he is seeking “new challenges” elsewhere.

“It is reported that Brawn, Bell and Newey could bring order to Ferrari’s technical department,” said El Mundo.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrari are also close to acknowledging that – given Mercedes’ utter dominance – “It is already time” to begin thinking about the 2015 season.

It is believed that President Luca di Montezemolo had said that Barcelona, Monaco and Montreal are key races before Ferrari must decide if focusing on the Formula 14-T’s successor should be the main objective.

Also reported is that Ferrari’s turbo V6 engine project for 2015, codenamed 666, is currently more advanced than it normally would be at this time of year.

Yet another report is that Fernando Alonso has finally lost patience waiting for a title-winning Ferrari, and is now casting eyes at Mercedes.

Mercedes Team Chairman Niki Lauda, however, is quoted by Speed Week: “We have two top drivers already, both going for the win. So what would we do with Alonso?”
post #3803 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

McLaren may test Honda powered car in 2014

McLaren could be ready to test a Honda V6 turbo power unit before the end of the 2014 season claims team boss Eric Boullier, even though the Frenchman’s immediate task after joining McLaren from Lotus is to win races with Mercedes power.

After a promising start, McLaren’s season has slumped, and yet the newly-returned ‘supremo’ Ron Dennis is demanding race wins long before the switch to works Honda power.

“I know why [Dennis] is saying it,” said Jenson Button. “We have to be quicker this year if we want to be quick next year. We have to keep on pushing and will not let up, unlike maybe Mercedes once they have a 300 point lead.”

London newspaper The Times claims that Boullier has been given “carte blanche” by Dennis to depart from traditional McLaren methods and “start again”.

The highly-anticipated Honda era, meanwhile, may get an unexpectedly early start, with Boullier hinting that the Japanese-made turbo V6 could get its first laps in Abu Dhabi at the end of the season.

“We have thought about it,” said the Frenchman, referring to whether McLaren could immediately switch to Honda power for the post-race test after the Abu Dhabi finale in November.

“We are currently running a Mercedes engine until Abu Dhabi so we will not run anything else, but we have thought to maybe try the [Honda powered] car afterwards,” added Boullier.

However, he dismissed the suggestion that – already without a title sponsor in 2014 – McLaren might as well write off this season in favour of the 2015 project.

“We definitely are not in a limbo year,” he said. “We are working just flat-out at Woking and a title sponsor doesn’t change anything anyway as our budget is in place already.”

“Obviously next year’s power unit is another programme but it is not affecting what we are doing at all,” Boullier added.
post #3804 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone asked what happened to Massa in the race. Apparently, he was suffering from massive tire degradation.

Smedley – Solving Massa’s tyre degradation woes a priority

Williams Head of Vehicle Performance Rob Smedley has vowed to solve the issues that blighted Felipe Massa’s Spanish Grand Prix.

Massa, who had looked impressive in the early phase of the weekend, started just ninth on the grid after a mistake in qualifying, and slumped to a lowly 13th during Sunday’s race, despite having run as high as eighth early on, as he battled with severe tyre degradation.

In contrast, Massa’s team-mate Valtteri Bottas came home fifth, the Finn only conceding fourth place – where he had started – late in the race to a charging Sebastian Vettel, the German on fresher Pirelli tyres in the Red Bull.

As Smedley explained, focus in the Williams camp will now turn to solving Massa’s problems with tyre degradation ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix in two week’s time.

“We dropped out of the points with Felipe and we just have to look in to that,” said Smedley. “I said to the guys that it’s a priority now for the operations group – all the various analysis groups – to look in to what happened in his race and to ensure that we get to Monaco in the best shape.”

“Felipe has been incredibly quick over one lap all weekend, I think it’s fair to say probably a little bit quicker than Valtteri. That gap reduced in qualifying and it would have been that maybe Felipe was 0.1s in front – something like that – a small gap, but then we suffered with degradation; more degradation than we did with Valtteri.

“I can’t really give you more information than that because if I knew what the answer was we would have fixed it in the race and we didn’t. So we need to go away now, that’s why we’ve got more than 500 people at Williams.

“We need to go away and analyse and see exactly what happened, use all the skillsets that we have and understand from a fundamental point of view how one car was able to manage the tyres and go longer on them and – while we were doing a three-stop for tactical reasons as well, it wasn’t just for tyre degradation – with Felipe obviously we used the tyres a little bit more and he ended up with a lack of grip and struggling with the tyres.”

Aside from Massa’s struggles, Smedley applauded the work of his team in Spain, as the Grove-based outfit moved ahead of McLaren, into fifth in the constructors’ championship, courtesy of the 10 points scored by Valtteri Bottas for fifth.

“The cup is half full; well it’s more than half full it’s three quarters full,” he added. “We came here really waiting to see how much the upgrades were going to work and be successful.

“They’ve been ultimately very successful; a downforce track that is very, very difficult on the tyres and it’s not only downforce in qualifying, downforce becomes even more important in the race to look after tyres and reduce the degradation.

“I think you saw that the car worked very well. It was the third quickest so ultimately we are very, very pleased with that.”
post #3805 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark Webber on Life After Formula 1

The Red Bull Racing driver is looking forward to new challenges after calling time on F1 career.
After 215 races, Red Bull Racing driver Mark Webber bowed out of Formula One competition after the final race of the 2013 season at the Brazilian Grand Prix. But with a full sports car program with Porsche lined up for 2014, as well as his own adventure race, the Mark Webber Tasmania Challenge, kicking off this week, the popular Australian’s still going to be keeping himself busy.

Redbull.com: Mark, how does it feel to be leaving the F1 paddock?
Mark Webber: It’ll be a relief in some ways for that chapter to be finally over. F1 has been my environment for so long now but it’s time for a new challenge which I’m looking forward to. I’m not planning to revisit the F1 paddock too soon but on the two or three occasions I might do each year, I’m sure it’ll be in a more relaxed frame of mind.

How do you feel about the next chapter of your racing career?
I’m very excited about it. The first year will be different of course, different schedule, different type of racing, different people. But at this time of my career, it’s a perfect balance between adrenaline and working hard with a fantastic brand such as Porsche.

Outside of F1, one of your big passions has been adventure and fitness – will you be doing some more of that?
Well, the Tasmania Challenge is where I really got into adventure and fitness back in 2003. That’s still going strong and this year’s race starts on Wednesday. I won’t be there this time, because of team commitments, but adventure is a key part of what I am and so I hope we can continue to grow that event, and maybe others, in the future.

You are also mentoring young Mitch Evans – who incidentally is going to be competing in the Challenge this year. How do you think he’ll do?
In the Challenge, or in his career?! I think he’ll have a good time in the Challenge, but I’ve warned him it’s pretty tough. To race in GP2, though, you have to be pretty fit so he should do okay. In terms of his future, we’ll have to see but he’s going the right way about things and he’s knocking on the F1 door now. Next year could be a pretty big year for him.

How intense will your racing calendar be now, and how much time will you get to do more adventure stuff?
MW: I don’t know how the first year will go, so it’s a case of wait and see. But I do have an eye on a few events which I don’t have the motivation to do just yet but I’m sure I will once I have more time on my hand!

I’m looking forward to not having to rush to do things and trying to squeeze them in between my race schedule, and having the opportunity to do some great things with people I enjoy spending time with.

And finally, what will you miss about F1?
Driving the cars at some of the world’s most amazing circuits and the level of precision involved. But of course, I’ll be looking to take a lot of that with me to Porsche.
post #3806 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

May 13: The first modern Formula 1 race was run on this date in 1950

After World War II, auto racing's popularity dimmed in the shadow of the continent's rebuilding. It wasn't until 1950 that racing organizers finally held a long-sought world's championship series of Formula 1 races, which would result in a true champion. The first race was held on this date in 1950 at the Silverstone track in England, where four Alfa Romeos ran away from the field. You can see the festivities below, including the first appearance of the V-16 powered British Racing Motors car:

Tack likes this.
post #3807 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

post #3808 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Watch The McLaren P1 Hit 205 MPH While Racing A Modified GT-R:

A McLaren P1 lined up alongside a modified Nissan GT-R at a drag meet in the U.K. recently, and the guys at Shmee150 were there to capture the action on film. Although the stock GT-R is in another league compared to the McLaren P1, the version you see here has been worked over by tuning firm Litchfield and is said to be producing upwards of 850 horsepower.

Yes, the McLaren still has the power and weight advantage, but the GT-R does have an all-wheel-drive system to help get it off the line. Go ahead and click play to see how the two compare in this drag race video.

As an added bonus, we also get some footage from inside the McLaren showing the supercar as it hits a top speed of 205 mph.
post #3809 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Take A First-Person Lap In A Prototype At Laguna Seca:

Here’s yourchance to see what a race driver sees from the wheel of a prototype car at the famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, courtesy of Scott Sharp and a prototype visor cam.

From the cockpit of Sharp’s Tequila Patron Honda Performance Development ARX-03b (say that three times fast) during practice for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship race, the action is fast and, at times, precarious, thanks to GTD-class cars that loom like monster trucks from Sharp’s low-slung position.

It’s a manic, intense ride as Sharp weaves through traffic, ironing out the kinks before the race, which took place May 3-4. Sharp qualified third in the Prototype class with co-driver Ryan Dalziel with a lap time of 1:18.970, but unfortunately didn’t finish the race due to a gearbox issue early in Dalziel’s stint behind the wheel.

ESM Racing, Sharp’s team, saw success on the weekend, however, putting their other prototype car on pole thanks to a fast lap from Johannes van Overbeek. Overbeek and co-driver Ed Brown went on to win the overall victory in the race.
Scott Simonian, BGLeduc and Tack like this.
post #3810 of 6326 Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Take A First-Person Lap In A Prototype At Laguna Seca:

Here’s yourchance to see what a race driver sees from the wheel of a prototype car at the famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, courtesy of Scott Sharp and a prototype visor cam.

From the cockpit of Sharp’s Tequila Patron Honda Performance Development ARX-03b (say that three times fast) during practice for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship race, the action is fast and, at times, precarious, thanks to GTD-class cars that loom like monster trucks from Sharp’s low-slung position.

It’s a manic, intense ride as Sharp weaves through traffic, ironing out the kinks before the race, which took place May 3-4. Sharp qualified third in the Prototype class with co-driver Ryan Dalziel with a lap time of 1:18.970, but unfortunately didn’t finish the race due to a gearbox issue early in Dalziel’s stint behind the wheel.

ESM Racing, Sharp’s team, saw success on the weekend, however, putting their other prototype car on pole thanks to a fast lap from Johannes van Overbeek. Overbeek and co-driver Ed Brown went on to win the overall victory in the race.

VERY COOL!

I will be studying this intensely, as I will be taking part in a DE and time trial at LS at the end of June. I will have some in car video to share, but it will be considerably slower than that!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page