394Likes

post #3841 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Red Bull say Vettel's chassis not distorted

Red Bull denied reports on Wednesday that Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel's early season struggles were due to his car having a crooked chassis.

The 26-year-old German was given a 'new' chassis for last weekend's Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona and charged to fourth despite starting 15th following a five-place penalty for a gearbox change.

Media reports in Germany suggested the previous chassis, while supposedly no different to the replacement that was used in pre-season testing, was crooked but the team said there was no evidence of that.

"The 'old' chassis has not been found to be distorted," chief engineer Paul Monaghan said in response to a query.

"The investigation is ongoing as the extent of the checks is vast in order to be thorough. No one error can be considered an entire explanation and requires further work to that completed prior to and within the Spanish GP.

"Changes to some ancillary equipment and preparation procedures has resulted from the checks made thus far," Monaghan added.

"Once all the information is available, Red Bull will address the points found in order to implement a complete solution."

PLAYING CATCH-UP

Vettel, winner of the last four championships and the final nine races of 2013, has been fighting more for points than podiums so far this year.

The German complained of a lack of 'feel' from the car as Formula One entered a new V6 turbo hybrid era after ditching the old V8 engines.

Red Bull's engine partners Renault have also been playing catch-up with a power unit that has been less competitive than the dominant Mercedes one.

However, Vettel has also been outperformed by his new Australian teammate Daniel Ricciardo, who started and finished third in Spain and was disqualified from second in Australia.

Team principal Christian Horner said after Sunday's race that it looked like the Vettel of old was returning, however.

"(In 2013) his confidence was high, he was on the crest of a wave, and then you can walk on water. He had the feeling from the car everything was going for him," the Briton told reporters.

"That's what he has been searching for with RB10, and this weekend you could see in the race the recovery drive that he had, the fastest lap, he hunted down the Ferraris. It looked like he had got his mojo back."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Massa: Williams issue resolved

After just one day of testing in Barcelona, Williams have resolved the issues that troubled them during the Spanish Grand Prix, according to Felipe Massa.

While Valterri Bottas finished in a credible fifth place during the race, Massa struggled badly with tyre degradation having been quick during the pre-race practice sessions earlier.

Speaking to crash.net after Tuesday's first day of testing at the same track, Massa revealed that they have found the cause of the problem.

"Honestly I also did a run and had none of the problems in terms of degradation compared to what I had in the race," Massa said.

"The only difference in the race is that I was in traffic, so that was the only thing that I had in the race that I didn't have [on Tuesday]. So it's something that we need to really be ready for, especially in races where you are going to be behind people and trying to understand what to do."

While Williams had a productive day on in Spain on Tuesday, Massa confirmed that they didn't test any of the new parts having given up on developing the rear wing further.

"We did more or less everything we were supposed to do. We didn't have much mileage so we did some laps in the wet which was also positive to look at some issues that we had in other races in the wet which we've got better at, but we had some things to try and I think it was positive to do some laps in the wet," he added.

"I did some set-up work looking at how the weekend was and I think it was good to do. I also did some aerodynamic working; not some new parts but some aerodynamic work that we had to do."
post #3843 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I know the rumors aren't linked together, but trust me, if Newey comes to Ferrari, Alonso isn't going anywhere! Especially if Brawn and Bell come along.
+100000

I think Alonso makes these veiled threats occasionally to get the Scuderia off its a$$ and improve the car.
He is a very smart guy.cool.gif

Quote:

Smedley hints that Ferrari wind tunnel problem persists

Former Ferrari engineer Rob Smedley says it is impressive to finally be working in Formula 1 with a wind tunnel that works.

The Maranello team’s wind tunnel problems are well known, but when asked by Totalrace, Smedley initially answered: “I don’t like to talk about Ferrari.”

Smedley, Felipe Massa’s long-time race engineer at Ferrari, joined his Brazilian collegaue in moving to the Grove based Williams team for 2014.

Smedley, 40, is now Williams’ ‘head of performance engineering’ and admitted that a major technical difference between Ferrari and his new employer is that new parts developed in Williams’ wind tunnel always work as expected.

“At Williams, the correlation between the wind tunnel and the track is amazing,” he said. “Compared to my previous experience, it is something that has impressed me. Everything we take to the track ends up on the car, so the car really does improve from race to race.”
I thought Ferrari built a new tunnel?confused.gif

Quote:

A different angle:

Ah, better than Louie's.biggrin.gif

I dunno...if it works, I'm all for it.

You gotta wonder just how much the aero of the car will be changed....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3844 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Monday's Barcelona testing day:

Rain meant that F1 testing action got off to a slow start in Barcelona today, and once the track had dried out in the afternoon there was a surprise as Max Chilton set the fastest time of the day for Marussia.

The Briton was trying the supersoft tire – which will be used in Monaco – in qualifying trim, while rivals had very different objectives. Nevertheless it was a nice confidence boost for a team that has outpaced rivals Caterham recently.

“Generally we’ve had quite a successful day and to end it in P1 is obviously a real bonus,” said Chilton. “We’ve made steady progress throughout the day and to get the car to such a good place in terms of setup, and then be able to see just how much we can extract from it, is a really big step from the race on Sunday to what we have achieved today. The conditions were pretty tricky this morning and on one occasion caught me out when I locked up and went straight on into the gravel.

“After the lunch break, once the weather had improved, we were really able to start working through the setup improvements we wanted to explore further after the weekend. We went step by step through the program, verifying everything we had concluded from the race here, and we can be really pleased with where we’ve got the car to. With another day of testing, I think we can leave Barcelona with the package in a really strong position.”

Lotus third driver Charles Pic was second fastest on his first day in the E22, and indeed his first laps since last year’s Brazilian GP. The Frenchman was using medium tires.

“It was a good first time in the E22,” said Pic. “The new generation of cars are very different from those before with the new power units and all the other changes in how you drive them. I didn’t get so many laps in the morning as the weather was very different from what you’d expect for Barcelona, but I think we optimized the day and completed everything we could. It was good day for the team and a good day for me. It felt really great to be in the car – it’s been too long since Brazil last year!”

Lewis Hamilton was third fastest for Mercedes after a routine day for the team

“We completed a lot of practice starts and tried a few different things with the car during the afternoon once the track dried out a bit,” said Hamilton. “Of course, test days aren’t as much fun as a race but it’s part of the job. It’s important for the team and it’s also been productive for me in terms of getting the car where I want it after struggling at times last weekend.

“Conditions were obviously very different but we got some dry running in and I felt happier with the car by the end of the day. Every lap you do in the car you learn a little bit more and these in-season tests are useful given the limited running time we have.”

Kimi Raikkonen had an engine failure in the morning and finished the day in fourth, despite damaging the car with a trip into the gravel. Few other teams had much of interest to report, although Kamui Kobayashi had a crash in the Caterham, and Red Bull third driver Sebastien Buemi drove the RB10.

Tomorrow there will be a little more excitement as McLaren protege Stoffel Vandoorne has his first ever F1 outing, and Susie Wolff drives for Williams.
1.Max Chilton (Marussia) – 1:26.434
2.Charles Pic (Lotus) – 1:26.661
3.Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) – 1:26.674
4.Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) – 1:26.674
5.Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) – 1:27.724
6.Nico Hülkenberg (Force India) – 1:27.727
7.Felipe Massa (Williams) – 1:27.756
8.Jenson Button (McLaren) – 1:28.333
9.Kamui Kobayashi (Caterham) – 1:30.101
10.Sébastien Buemi (Red Bull) – 1:31.440
11.Giedo van der Garde (Sauber) – 1:31.783

post #3845 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Renault has hired Louie:

Renault’s top F1 engine man Rob White says that the French manufacturer is fully behind efforts to address the noise issue.

Renault has already done some work of its own, although the first on-track testing is being conducted by Mercedes in Barcelona this week.

“We’re fully engaged and involved in the work that’s going on, led by the FIA,” said White. “Mercedes have shared their initial results from the dyno test of this device, the FIA have got some acoustic consultants who have visited us and have had access to our existing dyno test results, including sound measurement. We’re doing some further work at our factory. I would say we’re in an exploratory phase, trying to respond to the subject.

“Obviously we’re also conscious of the fact that with respect to noise the power unit it doing what it says on the tin. It uses less energy, it does so more efficiently, so there’s less falling out the back as noise.

“But of course the Strategy Group has identified the need to try and so something to improve the perception of the noise, and that’s what everybody is currently working on. The next steps, we’ve got work at the factory, we’ve got work with our various teams underway.”

Regarding what the Mercedes test might lead to he said: “We’ll see what that gives and we’ll see what the next step after that will be. It’s going as quickly as it reasonably can for the time being.”

post #3846 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

McLaren might get desperate:

McLaren are considering a 'radical' approach to its 2014 Formula One car if they don't show a marked improvement by the time the British Grand Prix starts in the beginning of July.

After starting the season with a double podium finish, the Woking team has struggled for pace since the season-opener in Australia and Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen have failed to score any points in the last three races.

While McLaren are hopeful that the downforce improvements that have already been produced by the factory will supplement the MP4-29, Racing Director Eric Boullier believes the British GP will be something of a watershed race for them.

"We have put everything in place," Boullier told the media during a McLaren phone-in on Tuesday.

"It is true that we are starting from quite far back to be honest, but we have a very good rate in terms of development.

"Monaco and Canada are a bit special in terms of their track layout, so the question of how capable we are of catching up, and how fast we are catching up, will be for Austria and Silverstone.

"I am not saying we will be win Silverstone, but we will know more about our capability to catch up in these races.

"I don't think we will shift our focus onto 2015," he added when asked by Autosport if they are considering halting development of the 2014 car.

"But it's possible that we will draw a line after Silverstone and we may go with more radical concepts."

While the switch to Honda power units next season have already been confirmed, McLaren remain without a title sponsor and are amidst their worst run of form since 2009, when they failed to score any points in four successive races.

Nevertheless, Boullier remains confident that they will be more competitive in Monaco next week.

"We have seen very, very significant progress in the wind tunnel in the last few weeks, so I think we need to just understand where we are, where we want to go," the former Lotus boss added.

"Monaco could be not bad for us. Our car is well-balanced in low-speed corners and very driveable, so Monaco could hurt us less."

post #3847 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I thought Ferrari built a new tunnel?confused.gif

They did, or completely renovated their existing one. He hasn't been there this season, so I think he was just referring to the past. Trust me, Ferrari is quick to point the finger at something to explain why they aren't performing and I haven't heard mention of the wind tunnel from Ferrari at all.

I never understood all of the issues they had with the wind tunnel. Money is not an issue. As with any expensive precise equipment, there are calibration models/media, programs etc. There has to be to calibrate the equipment and make sure that it is accurate and precise. Either the machine produces the expected results from the calibration procedure, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, the machine is not calibrated properly, or a component of the machine is broken. It's as simple as that. Why all of the "we think it's fixed, but the results we are getting aren't right?

I work with machines that are accurate to thousandths of an inch. If the machine is not functioning properly and accurate, you run a calibration. If it's not right after that, something is broken, period! We determine which part is defective and replace it and the machine functions perfectly again. Simple as that.
post #3848 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ferrari – did they give Alonso the advantage over Raikkonen?

By far the most talked about subject after the race was the strategy moves at Ferrari, which led to Fernando Alonso beating his team mate Kimi Raikkonen to the finish, despite qualifying and racing behind him for much of the race.

So did Ferrari give Alonso the better strategy, as some people are claiming?

The first point to make is that 3 stops was not faster than two. Both drivers started the race planning to stop twice, what happened was that Alonso had higher tyre degradation in the second stint and converted to a three stop at that point.

The contentious question is why did Alonso get to make the first stop on lap 16, one lap before Raikkonen? Normally the prerogative lies with the lead car. There are two explanations for this.

One is that Ferrari was trying to get Alonso ahead with a classic under cut, but if that was the case he did not pull it off. Another explanation, Ferrari’s explanation, is that he pitted first because he was under threat from Massa, who had pitted aggressively on lap 15 and they had to cover that stop with Alonso. This worked and so Raikkonen and Alonso remained ahead of the Brazilian into the second stint. The optimum stop lap was 18, so Raikkonen was the closest to that with his stop on lap 17.

According to the team, Alonso then suffered greater tyre degradation in the second stint than Raikkonen and they wanted Alonso to cover Vettel, who was clearly three stopping, so the team switched him to three stops. Raikkonen was informed of this via radio.

The lap times don’t really show the degradation difference clearly; they are quite similar with Alonso sitting between two and three seconds behind the Finn from laps 17 to 35. But clearly he felt he was losing performance with another seven or eight laps to go to the second stop. The degradation for Raikkonen towards the end of the second stint was damaging for his race effort and opened the door for Alonso to close and pass in the end (see Race History Graph below).

Again the timing of Alonso’s second stop was set by the gap back to Massa, who was clearly three-stopping. Alonso pitted on lap 35 and stayed ahead of his former team mate.

Even allowing for the difference in tyre use, Alonso had slightly better underlying pace than Raikkonen and this meant that the gap between them was only five seconds after Alonso’s final stop, with the Spaniard now back on medium tyres, albeit used ones.

Approaching that third stop, Ferrari also had an eye on Vettel who was just behind Alonso by this stage, however they made a mistake in not covering him, as they had done Massa earlier in the race. (see separate section)

In the final stint, Alonso cruised up to Raikkonen quite quickly, stayed behind for five laps and then passed him.

Raikkonen said afterwards that two stops was the wrong strategy for him, because he was unable to push at the end and because he struggled all race with low grip and poor traction causing degradation.

He was very frustrated, partly because of the way the strategies worked out, but mainly because he was lapped by the winner and he and Alonso were so far off the pace with little sign of a recovery. It is going to be a very long season for the two Ferrari drivers.

Did Ferrari deliberately favour Alonso? It’s not clear that they did. The moves they made were certainly done with others like Massa and Vettel in mind, as Alonso was vulnerable to both.

Bottas’ race shows that two stops should work out better, but Raikkonen’s tyre degradation was worse than expected, as was Alonso’s.

But something was done to overcome that in Alonso’s case and not in Raikkonen’s. Draw conclusions from that as you will.

post #3849 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 883
I have done some machine shop work as well. Used to make lots of stuff from stainless.
Dont know about the wind tunnel though. I would imagine its more complex than it seems.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3850 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

5/14/14 times:

post #3851 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I have done some machine shop work as well. Used to make lots of stuff from stainless.
Dont know about the wind tunnel though. I would imagine its more complex than it seems.

I'm sure it's ridiculously complex, but there always has to be a way to calibrate any equipment. None of the other teams are having problems with their wind tunnels. Companies aren't going to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for a machine that "usually works", or that will "get you pretty close".
post #3852 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Red Bull not interested in switch to Mercedes power

Red Bull says it is not interested in being powered by Mercedes, despite the dominance of itsV6 turbo engine in 2014..

Unhappy with its underpowered Renault V8 a few years ago, Red Bull looked into switching to Mercedes but was vetoed by the then works team McLaren.

Things have now changed: McLaren is a mere Mercedes customer and switching to Honda, while Mercedes is totally dominating the 2014 season with its industry-leading new turbo V6.

Furthermore, Red Bull is less content than ever with struggling Renault, but Helmut Marko on Wednesday played down suggestions the reigning world champions might want to be supplied by arch-rival Mercedes instead.

“We do not want their engine, even if it is the best,” he told Auto Bild. “How would we ever know that they are giving us equal equipment?”

Honda, returning to Formula 1 next year as McLaren’s new works supplier, might also be an option for Red Bull, with the Japanese marque open to supplying customers from 2016.

Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz told Speed Week: “First, we have a long-term contract with Renault. And secondly, we would only receive a customer engine from Honda.”
post #3853 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:

Wow, just wow.eek.gifeek.gif
Gentlemen, we have a new F1 Audio Champion.

I'm curious here...was this old aircraft engine tech from WW2?

I'm not sure but don't think so. The V16 wasn't really as suited for aircraft as the V12s and radials. Plus in the aircraft, the high RPM wasn't needed as it is in a race car. Most of the Merlin and Allison V12s made peak power at or under 3k rpm. Those engines worked pretty well in the Unlimited Hydros though.

This looks like a cool book about the BRM. Scroll down and there's a pic of it's tiny piston and rod in the palm of someones hand. I'd imagine that if that engine could be re-engineered today, you could see 25k+ rpms from it. The sound from that would be ridiculous.
post #3854 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

about the BRM. Scroll down and there's a pic of it's tiny piston and rod in the palm of someones hand. I'd imagine that if that engine could be re-engineered today, you could see 25k+ rpms from it.
Very cool...too bad it can't happen today.
I can't imagine the cost of trying to get a V-16 working well.

Quote:
The sound from that would be ridiculous.
Yes it would.frown.gif

post #3855 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Red Bull not interested in switch to Mercedes power

Red Bull says it is not interested in being powered by Mercedes, despite the dominance of itsV6 turbo engine in 2014.”
I think RB is stuck for the short term at least.
Other than Renault, no one wants to give a great motor to an Adrien Newey car.wink.gif

post #3856 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A different angle:

Just the pipe:

TeflonSoul likes this.
post #3857 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

2015 Honda test mules? :-)
post #3858 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found this on the new exhaust sound on YouTube:

post #3859 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found this on the new exhaust sound on YouTube:

You just HAD to put that third one in there, didn't you. :-)
post #3860 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sometimes I can't help myself....tongue.gif

FWIW, I thought the first 2, recorded from spectator distance more or less, were an improvement, but nothing like last year's V8s.

post #3861 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Monaco broadcast schedule:

Note that the race itself is live on NBC. Bravo to NBCS for not tape delaying it!
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #3862 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Its that way every year. Monaco in the morning and the Indy 500 at noon. Both on regular tv.

post #3863 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A BD of last year's F1 highlights will be released at Amazon on the 20th.

post #3864 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A BD of last year's F1 highlights will be released at Amazon on the 20th.

Cool. Reminds of way back in the day I would buy basically the same thing except it was in these beautiful huge coffee table books. Even back in the eighties they were almost a hundie apiece. They advertised them in the back of Road and Track. I have no idea what happened to them, love to find 'em.

There's still something about big shiny pictures that video can't replace.
post #3865 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I see that Mercedes went to the 'hood for a new exhaust. Sigh. What's the sport coming too? I suppose when Honda comes to the game, they'll just have to bring their Civic Si engines.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #3866 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I see that Mercedes went to the 'hood for a new exhaust. Sigh. What's the sport coming too? I suppose when Honda comes to the game, they'll just have to bring their Civic Si engines.

As long as they have "Type R" silk screened on them. Of course they will need to do a crappy job of attaching the wing and have some loose toggle switches that do nothing on the dashboard for the full effect.
post #3867 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

Cool. Reminds of way back in the day I would buy basically the same thing except it was in these beautiful huge coffee table books. Even back in the eighties they were almost a hundie apiece. They advertised them in the back of Road and Track. I have no idea what happened to them, love to find 'em.

There's still something about big shiny pictures that video can't replace.
I believe it was Autocourse,lots of great pics and race reports.
post #3868 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Autocourse has always been a high quality magazine. I get their F1 calendar every year.

post #3869 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

That's it. I remember having to put mine "up" because of the kids. Probably moved and they are still "up" there.

OT kind of amazing I remember having to send away for their product list and waiting to get the order form. Then it took the same amount of time to actually get the product. That wasn't really that long ago yet the Amazon model slashes that process to two days.

Still not sure if that's good or bad.

And tell that Bond guy he's still not getting any Zeppole.
post #3870 of 6694 Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Monaco broadcast schedule:

Note that the race itself is live on NBC. Bravo to NBCS for not tape delaying it!

AAannnnddd thank you, sir!!!

Omfg! Monaco Grand Prix!!?!?

This time I have set the Tivo for practice, qualifying and the GP. F**k yeah. Thought you could get away from me huh, Monaco GP? Yep. Gotcha bitch!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page