Forum Jump: 
 291Likes

post #3961 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Ed Carpenter wins the Pole for the 98th Indianapolis 500.
The grid is set:
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/05/5-18-Starting-Grid-Indy-500

The fastest lap recorded was by Marco Andretti at 232.239 mph.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Sports car racing on CBSSN. http://sportscar365.com/blancpain/cbs-sports-network-to-televise-blancpain-gt-races/ Also same day DTM coverage.
post #3963 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Sports car racing on CBSSN. http://sportscar365.com/blancpain/cbs-sports-network-to-televise-blancpain-gt-races/ Also same day DTM coverage.
Good deal.

post #3964 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Wow, Marquez is just a beast. He's going to set all kinds of records in MotoGP this year if he keeps going like he has been.
post #3965 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Wow, Marquez is just a beast. He's going to set all kinds of records in MotoGP this year if he keeps going like he has been.
He is pretty much unstoppable.
post #3966 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

+1

post #3967 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

More GT!
I'm in.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3968 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

More on Sir Jack Brabham from James Allen:

Only 33 men have won the F1 drivers’ world championship since its inception in 1950 and among them Sir Jack Brabham, who has died at the age of 88, was unique: the only driver to win the title in a car he built himself.

Brabham raced against some of the greats; Sir Stirling Moss, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart.

He was part of the wave of innovation which swept through the sport in the late 1950s as John Cooper put the engine in the back of the car, rather than the front where it had been up to that point. Brabham won his first Grand Prix at Monaco in 1959, and went on to win 14 Grands Prix. He took the little Cooper to the world title in 1959 and 1960.

He started his own team with fellow Australian engineer Ron Tauranac and clinched his third world title in 1966. His team mate Denny Hulme won the title the following year again in one of Jack’s cars. One of the mechanics in that team was Ron Dennis, now the boss of McLaren.

After Jack retired from racing following the 1970 season, the Brabham team was acquired by a man called Bernie Ecclestone and so began another chapter of F1.

Jack got the chance to see another Brabham in a Brabham when his youngest son David made his F1 debut in 1990; the team at that time was owned by the Japanese Middlebridge company, which underestimated what it took in terms of investment to compete in F1. I know because I worked for the team in 1990 and 1991.

When David was announced we organised a photoshoot with father and son together with one of Jack’s 1960s racers, kindly loaned from Tom Wheatcoft’s Donington collection. As David sat in the cockpit he looked in the mirror, “He’s looking out for Clark!” quipped Sir Jack.

The great man continued to attend the Australian Grand Prix up to fairly recently and still got a kick out of seeing the technology on the cars and the innovative ideas the engineers came up with.

That side of the sport always fascinated this unique racing driver.
yankeeman and TeflonSoul like this.

post #3969 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The art of the Team Radio:

2014 may well be the season of Team Radio. That's if the Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona was anything to go by.

The accepted wisdom of F1 is that a car that is quick in Barcelona - which has a good mixture of high-speed and low-speed corners - should be good almost everywhere. Races at Circuit de Catalunya (or, if you want, Circuit de Barcelona, Catalunya) point the way for the season to come.

Last weekend we saw that the Mercedes have their own championship to run and finished very close together. We also saw that Red Bull are easily the No.2 team and finished third and fourth despite starting third and fifteenth. Behind them the Ferraris finished together. The Force Indias finished together and the McLarens finished together.

So it looks like we're in for a season of two-by-twos, where in many races the cars are going to be stratified by performance and where the intra team-mate battle is key. In these situations, knowing exactly what your team-mate is doing to wrench greater speed out of the car is very important.

What was manifestly obvious in Spain is the amount of talk that goes on on Mercedes team radio. In the past Lewis Hamilton has asked his unswervable engineer Pete Bonington to stop giving him information. (Remember: "Don't talk to me man!") In this new era of intense Rosberg rivalry, Lewis wanted to know everything; how he could improve, which corners he was slower on, how he could stop his front left graining. And when Bonnington left him alone to get through the backmarkers, Lewis wanted to know where he'd been. Rosberg too was being given a constant stream of information on his defecits to Hamilton and where he could make up time.

It seems a far remove from the driving of Jim Clark or Ayrton Senna, men who drove intuitively and had to work out how to go faster themselves. If a driver is getting constant coaching from the team, along with a vast selection of buttons to press, it begins to undermine their status. Are you only as quick as your last bit of radio advice and which combination of buttons the engineers think will work best?

When cars from the same team are split up in the race order, comparisons are harder. But when they are running nose to tail, it's easy for teams to tell the drivers incremental improvements that will help them close up, or maybe pull slightly away. So if we get more races like Barcelona, the advice (and for some teams it may be selective advice) that drivers are given is going to have a big bearing on track battles.

Would Ayrton approve of the constant coaching when he himself was a master of driving fast through a combination of experience and feel? And would he have appreciated his data being analysed and supplied back to his team-mate in the form of practical driving advice. You'd think not.

Team radio and 'driver chess' is one of the fascinating aspects of 2014 and it's made easier by not having howling V8s revving at 18,000 rpm to contend with. Expect to see a whole lot more through the rest of the season.
yankeeman likes this.

post #3970 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

More explanation of the turbos by Bernie:

Bernie Ecclestone feared the start of the new V6 era in Formula 1 would be littered with races were only half the field reached the chequered flag.

The F1 supremo, who wanted the sport to remain powered by the 2.4-litre V6 engines, revealed the sound of the new units was not his only concern ahead of the new season.

Speaking to Forbes he said: "I thought everything was going to be worse. I thought the cars were going to be unreliable and I thought half the field would be stopping.

"In the end the engineers have done an unbelievable job technically. In fact I saw a Mercedes engine the other day and said I'd like to buy one as it's like a work of art. It's like a beautiful sculpture so it is fantastic."

As for the sound, which Mercedes tried to improve by running a megaphone exhaust tailpipe during testing at Barcelona, Ecclestone has billed as a "side effect" of the new rules.

"It is like lots of things," he said. "You go to the doctors and you have got toothache or whatever and they give you tablets. Then come the side effects.

"The people that came up with the regulations didn't realise what the side effects were. Even the people who built the engines didn't.

"Why didn't they? Because they had never built one. This engine is a prototype. I said at some stage why don't we put it off for a year and then let people get one running because it has only been running in a factory. Run it in a car and let's see how it sounds."

And if you are looking to point figures, Ecclestone says that while former FIA President Max Mosley campaigned for smaller engines, he wasn't the only who ultimately put it down on paper.

"It was Max that started this but in fairness to Max he didn't write the regulations. His idea was to have a smaller engine which would be in line with the manufacturers' road cars.

"It would be one and a half liters, which is what the road cars have. This was Max' idea to get more manufacturers in. But he didn't realise what the regulations would be like. I don't think anybody did."

post #3971 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can Vettel take the fight to MB?

Sebastian Vettel's drive from 15th on the grid to fourth at the line in Spain is a sure sign that he is back on form, says Christian Horner.

After four World Championships on the trot, Vettel's start to the 2014 season has been marred by reliability issues and a general lack of pace.

As a result, twice in the first four grands prix the reigning World Champion suffered the indignity of being ordered to move over for new team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.

However, Vettel put his woes behind him last time out in Spain to put in his best showing yet.

Fighting back from car troubles and a grid penalty that meant he started in 15th place, the German raced to an impressive fourth place.

"It was a great performance from him," said Red Bull team boss Horner. "He really went for it.

"He made the strategy work for him, he knew he had to make the passes and I thought it was a fantastic recovery drive.

"With the fastest lap and the way he hunted down the Ferraris, it looked like he had got his mojo back."

post #3972 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:

He is pretty much unstoppable.

That had to be pretty devastating for the rest of the field. He's got a few different lines and techniques and I cant figure out why nobody is trying to copy them.

It's almost impossible in MotoGP to pass someone and put any kind of distance on them all race long, but the "kid" is making a mockery of it.

Reminds me of Chuck Graves at Willow Springs, waving at the crowd on the second lap.
smile.gif
post #3973 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

That had to be pretty devastating for the rest of the field. He's got a few different lines and techniques and I cant figure out why nobody is trying to copy them.

It's almost impossible in MotoGP to pass someone and put any kind of distance on them all race long, but the "kid" is making a mockery of it.

Reminds me of Chuck Graves at Willow Springs, waving at the crowd on the second lap.
smile.gif

He is so fast especially his corner speed. I am happy to see Valentino be competitive again. It's amazing that he was the only rider to try and fight with Marquez.
post #3974 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

He is so fast especially his corner speed. I am happy to see Valentino be competitive again. It's amazing that he was the only rider to try and fight with Marquez.
+1 I'd like to see the American riders doing better. Especially Nicky Hayden. He grew up very close to where I grew up. The guys a hero in these parts to people who pay attention to racing.

post #3975 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

+1 I'd like to see the American riders doing better. Especially Nicky Hayden. He grew up very close to where I grew up. The guys a hero in these parts to people who pay attention to racing.
With the way American road racing is these days I don't think we will see another US contender in a long time. The AMA Superbike series has become a joke since DMG,aka,NASCAR,took over. A 5 race national pro series with almost no Factory involvement is going no where.
post #3976 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

smile.gif
For him to fall behind at the start,make a few mistakes and have a few run offs,go from tenth to first has to be demoralizing to everyone.His riding style reminds me of Kevin Schwantz,out of control but in command.A legend in the making,not unlike Rossi.BTW,Chuck was a great rider.
post #3977 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the OT vid.,but while we are on bikes,these are bikes. I love the smell of 2 stroke fumes in the morning,smells like speed!
Sharp1080 and Tack like this.
post #3978 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

James Allen's preview of Monaco:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/05/keeping-off-the-barriers-will-be-challenge-enough-as-new-f1-cars-hit-monaco-streets/

post #3979 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the way American road racing is these days I don't think we will see another US contender in a long time. The AMA Superbike series has become a joke since DMG,aka,NASCAR,took over. A 5 race national pro series with almost no Factory involvement is going no where.

+1
post #3980 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Kenny Roberts sitting at the table with Michael Lenz (Peter Lenz RIP) and myself. KR is pretty colorful with his language and direct at times,LOL Very cool to talk to him in the paddock.

post #3981 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin at an AMA race at Fontana several years ago. When I spoke to him at COTA he was extremely happy now that the war has ended!

post #3982 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I think the results so far would beg to differ....

Renault: Mercedes split turbo not a game-changer

Renault have dismissed claims that Mercedes split turbocharger solution has led to the power unit manufacturer's dominance so far this season.

It was recently revealed that Mercedes chose to place their air compressor and turbocharger at opposite ends of the engine block, unlike both Ferrari and Renault where the two items are next to one another.

It was claimed this offered massive benefits (see our analysis here).

Renault's Rob White has however rubbished such claims and says Renault even considered doing the same, but saw no major benefit.

"It's something that is significantly different," he said. "But it is not one we have seen as being a game-changing advantage for Mercedes, or indeed a significant handicap for us.

"It's not like it's something we didn't think of, or when we saw it we said: 'Eureka that would have been a good idea!'"

He added that there isn't anything wrong with Renault's V6, but it would take some time to catch up in the development race, but he says they've got some "significant" upgrades coming.

"We haven't got anything in the engine that we think is insurmountable, in time, bearing in mind there are sporting restrictions and the real world development restrictions.

"We've got some significant things which are work in progress, and we've got some significant things that will be available in the future [over the winter - when the engine freeze is lifted]."
post #3983 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Kevin at an AMA race at Fontana several years ago. When I spoke to him at COTA he was extremely happy now that the war has ended!

The King doesn't mince words. I met him at Daytona when Jr. was riding. 250. What a character, never at a loss for words. Kevin is my all time racing hero. He could ride the wheels off anything. And a super guy to BS with.
post #3984 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Wolff wants Brawn back at Mercedes

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has revealed that he is trying to lure departed chief Ross Brawn back into the team’s Formula 1 garage, and says that he consults the former team boss when the need arises.

Brawn, 59, stepped down at the end of last year but, during his first year of retirement, he has already been linked with a return to Ferrari, having even visited the fabled Italian team’s base recently.

Wolff has now told the Telegraph that Briton Brawn can take some of the credit for Mercedes’ current dominance of Formula 1, insisting that he still would have a valuable contribution to make.

Austrian Wolff said it was Brawn who “realised” what Mercedes needed to do in order to succeed in the wake of Mercedes’ 2010 takeover.

“Ross Brawn realised in 2012 that it was not getting any better – he started to recruit and to add some of the people to the organisation in key areas,” he said.

Wolff also hailed Brawn’s input in other key areas, “If there is a heated situation on a race weekend, I …try to imagine what Ross would have done.”

“If needed, I give him a call, but I can well see us missing Ross’s calmness and experience in the heat of races, or in the heat of the championship. Ross has a considerable part in the success of this year. It’s a big shame that he’s not here,” said Wolff.

“I speak with Ross regularly, and we are trying to get him to one of the next races to have a look at the team.

“He was so important in building the base, and setting in place some of the structures, and we would like him to be part of the team and see what’s happening this year. He’s going to come eventually – he’s promised to,” Wolff added.
post #3985 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has revealed that he is trying to lure departed chief Ross Brawn back into the team’s Formula 1 garage, and says that he consults the former team boss when the need arises.

Brawn, 59, stepped down at the end of last year but, during his first year of retirement, he has already been linked with a return to Ferrari, having even visited the fabled Italian team’s base recently.

Wolff has now told the Telegraph that Briton Brawn can take some of the credit for Mercedes’ current dominance of Formula 1, insisting that he still would have a valuable contribution to make.

Austrian Wolff said it was Brawn who “realised” what Mercedes needed to do in order to succeed in the wake of Mercedes’ 2010 takeover.

“Ross Brawn realised in 2012 that it was not getting any better – he started to recruit and to add some of the people to the organisation in key areas,” he said.

Wolff also hailed Brawn’s input in other key areas, “If there is a heated situation on a race weekend, I …try to imagine what Ross would have done.”

“If needed, I give him a call, but I can well see us missing Ross’s calmness and experience in the heat of races, or in the heat of the championship. Ross has a considerable part in the success of this year. It’s a big shame that he’s not here,” said Wolff.

“I speak with Ross regularly, and we are trying to get him to one of the next races to have a look at the team.

“He was so important in building the base, and setting in place some of the structures, and we would like him to be part of the team and see what’s happening this year. He’s going to come eventually – he’s promised to,” Wolff added.
I can see where they have so many problems,LOL.What could he help them with,oh,the radio transmissions? "Lewis,drive the car and don't bother the engineer"
post #3986 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And please dont post any technical pictures on your Facebook acct.

post #3987 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

And please dont post any technical pictures on your Facebook acct.
It took a sec. but, LOL
post #3988 of 6337 Old 05-19-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think the results so far would beg to differ....
Agreed.biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'm sure he does.
Who wants to compete against Brawn?wink.gif

post #3989 of 6337 Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

It's really sad what's happened with AMA Pro Roadracing, the Sportbike series racing in particular has been excellent the past few years but they're down to a handful of races now and are only shown on BeIn Sports channel (seriously??) and a really lame web feed. I think it might be doomed soon, don't see how these teams survive on a half-dozen races a year with no serious TV deal.

You know it's bad when the only way to watch their biggest race this year, the Daytona 200, was on a crappy SD web feed. It was painful to watch.
post #3990 of 6337 Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page