366Likes

post #3991 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

I just hope it happens. He can't leave the sport soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

post #3993 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Haas building 200-strong workforce for Formula 1 project

Amid the Formula 1 paddock’s usual scepticism, the sport’s newest team is pushing ahead with its plans their goal of being on the grid for the first race of next season.

Gene Haas – a top NASCAR team co-owner and the boss of Haas Automation, a world-leading machine tool maker – has secured a two-year license to make his Formula 1 debut either in 2015 or 2016.

After a visit to Haas’ North Carolina headquarters, Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt says that the Gunther Steiner-led team’s “plan A” is to race next year.

Schmidt said that Steiner, who has worked with Jaguar and Red Bull, is now rapidly building a workforce, with many experienced Formula 1 people showing interest because Haas can offer new challenges and high-ranking positions.

“There are many interested parties,” a source said, “but we can only hire people when we know who our engine partner is.”

The front-runner is Ferrari, who are also keen to supply a lot of other components to Haas. Mercedes has already ruled itself out of the running to fill Haas’ needs.

“We can only offer engines and transmission,” said Team Chairman Niki Lauda.

The Haas car will almost certainly be built by Dallara and Haas are also looking for somewhere to base themselves in England, the report added.

Meanwhile, Schmidt reports: “A 200-strong staff is under construction. In September, the factory in Mooresville will be ready.”
post #3994 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
YOWZA!
"I know I am going to make some enemies, but there will not be another dollar for motorsport," Antonio Álvarez, Venezuela's new sports minister, explained in an interview with native daily newspaper Ultimas Noticias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Amen to that.wink.gif

Quote:

Great find.
My first LOL of the day was watching the Rally Car go off-track and make that jump.cool.gif

Quote:

Haas building 200-strong workforce for Formula 1 project

Amid the Formula 1 paddock’s usual scepticism, the sport’s newest team is pushing ahead with its plans their goal of being on the grid for the first race of next season.
After a visit to Haas’ North Carolina headquarters, Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt says that the Gunther Steiner-led team’s “plan A” is to race next year.
I'm hoping they can pull it off.
They will learn helluva of a lot more being on-track next year than in the factory.

Quote:
The front-runner is Ferrari, who are also keen to supply a lot of other components to Haas.
Haas should jump at this.

Quote:
Haas are also looking for somewhere to base themselves in England, the report added.
A wise decision.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3995 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

I know where he needs to go.

post #3996 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I know where he needs to go.

CRASHCAR!!! Where all the other F1 has-beens go to die.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #3997 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

LH thinks he is pretty special:

Lewis Hamilton admitted that his run of four consecutive victories has come as a bit of a surprise, but added that he feels he should be in a more dominant position on the Drivers' Championship standings.

"As in Bahrain I felt massively good after that, but I know what I've got and I feel it shouldn't have been that close.
"

Lewis needs to talk less.
This is the kind of thing that leads to bad blood between teammates....

post #3998 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Lewis needs to talk less.
This is the kind of thing that leads to bad blood between teammates....

I think bad blood is good for the fans. It will make the competition between them more dramatic and intense. smile.gif

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #3999 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I think bad blood is good for the fans. It will make the competition between them more dramatic and intense. smile.gif
Good point, but it can also lead to some very silly stuff on and off the track.wink.gif

post #4000 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Good point, but it can also lead to some very silly stuff on and off the track.wink.gif

See also : "more dramatic and intense"

A good portion of the memorable moments in F1 derive from some sort of conflict. We all hated it when Prost and Senna were banging into each other. But we also LOVED it. smile.gif
post #4001 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:

+1 Give his ride to Alexander Rossi!

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4002 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

See also : "more dramatic and intense"

A good portion of the memorable moments in F1 derive from some sort of conflict. We all hated it when Prost and Senna were banging into each other. But we also LOVED it. smile.gif
True.
It also made me wish I was there to knock their heads together too.tongue.gif

post #4003 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Renault hopeful of 10hp increase

Renault believe that the work they have been doing with fuel partner Total should result in their teams receiving an additional 10 horsepower during this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.

Renault endured a difficult pre-season but has since bounced back with two podiums courtesy of Red Bull, which were achieved in Malaysia and Spain.

"Monaco is one of the few circuits on the calendar where top end power is not critical," said head of trackside operations Remi Taffin. "Less than 30secs – or less than one quarter of the lap – is spent at full throttle, which places an emphasis on the overall package’s driveability rather than outright performance. That said we should not rely on chassis performance alone for results. We need to concentrate all our efforts on our own task."

Taffin does not believe that Renault's teams should head to Monaco believing that third place is the best that can be achieved.

"We go to Monaco determined to deliver a Power Unit that can fight for more than third position," he said.

"We have yet more software upgrades to introduce following a successful test in Barcelona, which further improved the driveability and reliability of the systems. Likewise we have also been working with our partners, Total, to trial a new fuel that should deliver in the region of 10bhp more than before, a significant increase. While we know we have a tough battle ahead, we’re really up for the challenge."
post #4004 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Red Bull forced to mount camera outside chassis

Red Bull must amend the location of its mandatory forward-facing onboard camera following complaints by Formula One Management that its nose housing wasn't providing a satisfactory image.

We reported in March that the team had come up with an ingenious solution to avoid the negative effect on the airflow which comes from traditional camera mountings.

The team hid the camera within the hollow vanity panel, whilst a small opening above the 'O' of Casio's sponsor decal allows the camera lens to see out.

FOM complained that as a result, the Red Bull onboard footage wasn't of the same quality of other cars which feature the traditional wing mounts (see Mercedes below).

Red Bull made a minor change during testing in Spain, but FOM still weren't satisfied and have told the Milton Keynes team to adopt a similar design to the rest of the field, which the team will run in Monaco this weekend.
post #4005 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hear the most successful Ferrari of all time roar again

Ferraris tend not to get hot rodded; why pay so much for a fast machine only to tear it apart, and the value of such cars often falls by more than the amount of parts put into them. Consider this the exception: a 1957 Ferrari Testa Rossa that had its four-cylinder replaced with a V-12, and went on to win more races than any other single Ferrari car in history; a few Ferrari aficionados would also call it the most beautiful car ever built at the scuderia. And now you can hear it roar again

Known as the 1957 Ferrari 650/250 TRC, the car was one of two so modified by racer and Ferrari dealer John von Newmann, who used it to dominate California road racing in the '60s. After it survived nearly 40 races without a crash, the 650/250 TRC was sold, taken apart and swapped around the world — to the point where it was seized by the Dutch government in the 1990s due to drug charges against its then-owner.

Car collector Bruce Meyer had been on the hunt for the 650/250 TRC when the Dutch government decided to part with it. After his purchase, Meyer reunited it with the original 12-cylinder engine it raced with all those decades ago, and restored the whole car to concours quality. Slightly lesser Testa Rossas have sold for nearly $7 million in recent years, and given the heated market for authentic antique Ferraris, it's not that much of a stretch to think a few buyers might pay $10 million for this should Meyer ever turn over the keys. Let's hope whoever owns it lets it out to play as Meyer does for Petrolicious here.

post #4006 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use to live alone, a single man living the dream with FIOS HD programming, F1 was my world.

I foolishly moved in to my GFs house, her town didn't have FIOS, nor did she have HD programming, F1 and MotoGp viewing was never the same.

This past week I finally upgraded to CHarter Triple Play Silver and have HD programming back, the super slow mo in glorious HD of MotoGp Marc Marquez sliding both wheels through an apex was amazing. I cannot wait for this weeks upcoming Monaco F1 Race.

In closing, I can now post in this section as I have the capabiity to watch F1 in HD again, long live the king.
post #4007 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post

I use to live alone, a single man living the dream with FIOS HD programming, F1 was my world.

I foolishly moved in to my GFs house, her town didn't have FIOS, nor did she have HD programming, F1 and MotoGp viewing was never the same.

This past week I finally upgraded to CHarter Triple Play Silver and have HD programming back, the super slow mo in glorious HD of MotoGp Marc Marquez sliding both wheels through an apex was amazing. I cannot wait for this weeks upcoming Monaco F1 Race.

In closing, I can now post in this section as I have the capabiity to watch F1 in HD again, long live the king.
wWelcome,good to have another 2 wheeler fan aboard.
post #4008 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Koenigsegg One:1 to Make Dynamic Debut at Goodwood FOS

Get Ready For a Twin-Turbocharged Cadillac CTS-V

Genty’s Bespoke Supercar to Produce 1,200HP

Enzo Ferrari Coming to the Silver Screen?

It's been tried before but failed to get off the ground. This time things may be different.

Back in 2004, director and occasional actor Sydney Pollack and Academy Award winning actor Al Pacino were prepping an Enzo Ferrari biopic, based off Brock Yates’s 1991 book, "Enzo Ferrari: The Man, the Cars, and the Races." Sadly, Pollack died before production could get underway and Pacino moved on as well. Fortunately, an LA-based film production company is working to resurrect the project.

According to a new report from Variety, Cecchi Gori Pictures is now in advanced talks with a well-known, but still nameless, US director who’s very passionate about the subject matter. The name will be revealed shortly. The script itself has been around for years, written by Troy Kennedy Martin ("The Italian Job") and David Rayfield ("Out of Africa"). At the moment, the production company is scouting filming locations, revising the script, and looking for a distributor. No specific actors have been named, but Pacino is likely no longer involved. If this report is proven to be true, we should be receiving some major updates and announcements in the near future.
post #4009 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post

Congrats and welcome!

post #4010 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Koenigsegg One:1 to Make Dynamic Debut at Goodwood FOS

Get Ready For a Twin-Turbocharged Cadillac CTS-V

Genty’s Bespoke Supercar to Produce 1,200HP

It's been tried before but failed to get off the ground. This time things may be different.

Back in 2004, director and occasional actor Sydney Pollack and Academy Award winning actor Al Pacino were prepping an Enzo Ferrari biopic, based off Brock Yates’s 1991 book, "Enzo Ferrari: The Man, the Cars, and the Races." Sadly, Pollack died before production could get underway and Pacino moved on as well. Fortunately, an LA-based film production company is working to resurrect the project.

According to a new report from Variety, Cecchi Gori Pictures is now in advanced talks with a well-known, but still nameless, US director who’s very passionate about the subject matter. The name will be revealed shortly. The script itself has been around for years, written by Troy Kennedy Martin ("The Italian Job") and David Rayfield ("Out of Africa"). At the moment, the production company is scouting filming locations, revising the script, and looking for a distributor. No specific actors have been named, but Pacino is likely no longer involved. If this report is proven to be true, we should be receiving some major updates and announcements in the near future.
That caddy is pretty bad a$$. Better hold off on that Z06 Oink.
post #4011 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very cool. I hope they do a good job. Id like to see them cover his very early years. Most people dont know much about it. He was quite a good driver for Alfa Romeo before he started designing for them.

post #4012 of 6626 Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Other than Hayden crashing out on lap 1 LeMans was a great GP. A real treat seeing Marquez in assassin mode instead of just leading the whole race. They should make him start 10th from now on.

post #4013 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

That caddy is pretty bad a$$. Better hold off on that Z06 Oink.
I have a hard time believing Cadillac can turn the new CTS into looking the part of a Bad Boy.
To me, it looks a nice techy luxury cruiser.
The Z06 gets my petrol flowing, not the Caddy.

The link mentioned the upcoming V would have a twin-turbo, rather than a supercharger as it did previously.
It would have to be close to the present CTS-V in power (556 HP) to compete with the Germans.
Shouldn't be much of a challenge for the engine guys.

At the moment, you can buy what is called a "VSPORT" CTS with an optional 3.6L Twin-Turbo rated at 420 HP & 430 lbs.
http://www.cadillac.com/cts-sport-sedan.html

Cadillac has a 4.4L DOHC they used for supercharging XLRs sitting around.
I doubt swapping in a TT would be a problem.

post #4014 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

post #4015 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Already did. They can't even pay their bills in F1. How are they gonna run at LeMans?

post #4016 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Other than Hayden crashing out on lap 1 LeMans was a great GP. A real treat seeing Marquez in assassin mode instead of just leading the whole race. They should make him start 10th from now on.

Yup, watching him carve up the field was a treat, I hate run-a-ways in any type of Motosports regardless of if the driver/rider is a favorite of mine. Thats one reason I am really liking this year in F1, there seems to be some good dicing between the Mercedes teamates, not the boring run-a-way dominance of Vettle.

Monaco will be interesting, well Q1-2-3 will be interesting.
post #4017 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That sucks.frown.gif

post #4018 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This kid has been really impressive:

Daniil Kvyat looks calm on the eve of the biggest challenge of his young career.

“Not only have I never raced in Monaco, I’ve never been here before,” smiles the young Russian, in the Toro Rosso wing of the monstrously large Red Bull floating motorhome, just outside the Monaco paddock.

Earlier today the rookie, who has scored points in three of his first five Grands Prix, did his first Monaco track walk and tried to take in the bewildering ribbon of tarmac lined with barriers which is F1′s most famous venue.

“It looks quite tight, not much space or freedom. But it looks really cool; the Swimming Pool in particular” says Kvyat. “I’ve never driven here, so I don’t know what to say.

“I’ve studied on board cameras, tried to learn the lines. I had just half a day on the simulator, but I think it’s enough. You learn the configuration, which kerb you can use and which you cannot. When you go to the track it’s a different reality. You try things and if they it’s good you continue and if it’s not you change your approach. You have to react.

“I hope I can get the right rhythm and do really well. I think it’s a good track to show your potential.”

Will this be the scariest race he has done? ” I think in the beginning it will not be easy to put the full throttle on,” replies the Russian, F1′s youngest points scorer. “But it’s all about the right approach. You need to get everything right from the beginning of the weekend to get a good result.”

It is unusual for an F1 driver to arrive in F1 without ever having driven some kind of car around Monaco. Valterri Bottas did it last year after jumping straight from GP3, which doesn’t race in Monaco, into F1. Kvyat followed his lead this year.

How does he anticipate the challenge of building up speed without any form of mental database of the circuit and its quirks?

“No secrets – I’ll not try to do anything I don’t know or try anything clever. That won’t help me. I’ll do what I know, which is to drive fast.”

JA on F1 technical adviser Mark Gillan observed that from his experience of running young drivers, building up the confidence to peak on Saturday afternoon for qualifying is the key and that if you put the driver into the right place with a clear track and he peaks at the right time, he can find a second to two seconds in himself.

“Two seconds is hard to find anywhere, the limit I find tomorrow should be a good baseline for Saturday. Then in qualifying, you need to be really confident around here to be quick and to put the car really close to the walls,” he said.

Amusingly Kvyat shot down the notion that he is from the “Playstation Generation” of kids arriving in F1 who grew up gaming and seeing the world digitally.

“Everyone says ‘Playstation Generation’, but I never had a Playstaion,” laughs Kvyat. “Karting is enough. Being on a real track. I was never a fan of gaming. If you check my IPhone, there is not even one game on it!!”

Kvyat is a likeable but very focussed young driver, who expresses himself well in English and seems already at home in F1. He impressed last season in GP3 and has started as well as he could have imagined possible in his F1 career.

He looks to be one of those who knows that, in becoming an F1 driver, the hard work starts now, as opposed to being an end in itself.

His challenge this weekend, while far from unprecedented, will be interesting to watch.

post #4019 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Button has always been a class-act:

Former Monaco GP winner Jenson Button and his McLaren team mate Kevin Magnussen have sportingly taken part in a charity initiative raising money for children with cancer, involving the wearing of wigs.

Wig Wednesday, which is today, is an initiative from CLIC Sargent, cancer care for Chlidren (of which James Allen is proud to be a Patron) and the charity is inviting thousands of people across the UK to put on a wig for the day to raise money and show support for children and young people, who may lose their hair through treatment for cancer.

Every day in the UK 10 families lives will be turned upside down as they learn that their child has cancer. CLIC does fantastic work in supporting those families, who often have to travel many miles to get treatment. BBC’s Eddie Jordan is also a Patron and has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for the charity with his wife Marie.

Button, who also does a lot of work for Make A Wish foundation, looks worringly rather too at home in his wig in the photo above. Please leave your suggestions for what the caption to this image might be in the comments section below…

The 34 year old said of the CLIC initiative, “The Wig Wednesday look definitely beats helmet hair – but, much more important, I’m happy to support Wig Wednesday 2014.

“CLIC Sargent does a fantastic job helping children and young people with cancer, and Wig Wednesday is a fun and simple way for people to show their support and raise money for this wonderful charity.”

post #4020 of 6626 Old 05-21-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Today's Driver Press Conference:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9320473/Wednesday-s-FIA-press-conference

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page