post #4111 of 5627 Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

I would love to see Rosberg take pole and take a win in Monaco, just as a way to tell Lewis to STFU.
Me too.

I think NR is a pretty tough kid mentally.

Button also mentioned he thought Nico would be able to handle Lewis's nonsense.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 5627 Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think this is what Button referred to the other day about LH playing head-games with his teammates.wink.gif

Alonso also is a master of doing this.

I would say THE master of those currently on the grid.
post #4113 of 5627 Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Maldonado insists future is safe

"But despite Alvarez's threat, Maldonado is adamant his Formula One future is not on the line.

He revealed: "The sports minister is not sponsoring me, and PDVSA is not part of his programme. They are separate. "

post #4114 of 5627 Old 05-23-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Maldonado insists future is safe.
Im not sure the other drivers would agree.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4115 of 5627 Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anybody been able to figure out a way to see P3? The NBC Sports Live Extra app wont work for me with Time Warner cable.

post #4116 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"DRIVE" is on right after quali. Looks like a good show.

post #4117 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 378
post #4118 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

New series on NBCSN called "Off the Grid". Its on now. This one has Will Buxton showing us around behind the scenes at Barcelona and talking with various engineers and drivers.

post #4119 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This feels like 1992 all over again!biggrin.gif

It looks like Merc power wasn't enough to help Williams. Their chassis may only be the only seventh best.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #4120 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I get the feeling Hamilton is a little upset about that yellow. If Rosberg wins the race Hamilton will really be upset. If he does that will 2 wins in a row at Monaco for Rosberg.
Good quali. Now on to the train that is the Monaco GP.

post #4121 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Shades of MS vs. Alonso qualifying when Michael infamously parked his car on-track.

Did Rosberg do this deliberately?
I dunno..flip a coin.
I think LH believes so.
Their relationship is steadily heading downhill.

Watch out in Turn One tomorrow.....there will be blood all down the grid.
BGLeduc likes this.

post #4122 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not unexpected:

Nico Rosberg will keep his Monaco GP pole position after the stewards decided to take no further action against the German after his incident at Mirabeau.

The stewards decided that “no offence was committed by the driver of car No. 6,” and by way of explanation said that they had examined video and telemetry, and could find no evidence of any offence.

While the Mercedes team can breathe a sigh of a relief, there is no question that the affair has ramped up tension between Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, which could translate to an interesting start tomorrow.

post #4123 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What we learned from qually:

There were jokes going round the paddock prior to qualifying that Pirelli's 'SuperSoft' new tyre could be driven on the cars all the way back to London. With the new level of hardness that Pirelli have introduced this year the SuperSofts needed at least one lap (with a 42C track temperature) to get warmed up!

• Nico Rosberg missed his braking point into Mirabeau on his final hot lap and got pole by default. His trip down the escape road brought out the yellow flags and ruined Lewis Hamilton's final attempt to get pole off him after the German had come second best in Q2. And you can bet your life that Hamilton and his engineer Pete Bonnington will look at the traces to see exactly where Nico braked compared to his previous laps. In fact half an hour after Qualifying ended, the timing screens reported that the incident with Rosberg was being investigated. Shades of 2006.

• Daniel Ricciardo continued his stellar qualifying form against his four-times World Champion team-mate, making the season total an incredible 5-1. Daniel's Monaco race record isn't that impressive as he has never finished the race.

•Q1 was a busy session for the stewards, at the end of it they had outstanding cases to adjudicate: Perez vs Gutierrez, Maldonado vs Kvyat and Ericsson vs Massa. Felipe Massa left Marcus Ericsson a gap at Mirabeau and the hapless Caterham driver crashed into the Williams driver instead, eliminating him from taking part in Q2.

• Daniel Kvyat had another impressive qualifying performance, recovering from a spin down into the tunnel chicane (nouvelle chicane) where he lost his nose during Q1. This didn't faze the young Russian driver and both he and Jean-Eric Vergne made it into Q3. Kvyat's Q2 time of 1:17.594 was almost as fast as team-mate JEV's 1:17.540 in Q3.

• Jenson Button got traffic with Jean-Eric Vergne that hindered his fastest lap in Q2, but will still be mightily embarrassed to be outqualified by Kevin Magnussen who hadn't driven at Monaco before. Though McLaren do have a very fine simulator.

• The stratification of cars that we saw clearly in Barcelona (teams lining up 2 x 2) was even more evident in FP3 in Monaco. At the end of the final practice session it was: Mercedes 1st and 3rd, Red Bull 2nd and 4th, Ferrari 5th and 6th, Force India 7th and 8th, Toro Rosso 9th and 10th, McLaren 11th and 12th, Williams 13th and 14th.

• Lotus driver Romain Grosjean, who qualified 6th in Barcelona, and Pastor Maldonado, who's ususally fast around Monaco, showed that the Lotus E22 has yet to crack tight, twisty circuits.

• Don't be surprised to see two damaged Mercedes cars at Ste Devote on Lap 1 tomorrow (if the result stays the same). The body language following the post-qualifying press conference was the worst there's been. A strategic move by Mercedes team management might be to instruct Rosberg to hand the lead to Hamilton at Turn 1 as he only took pole by default and Hamilton was up on his final lap.

post #4124 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

James Allen on Rosberg screwing up LH's hot lap:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/05/hamilton-body-language-leaves-little-room-for-doubt-in-monaco-qualifying-controversy/

post #4125 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:

From that article "Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live Hamilton compared the situation to the feud between Senna and Prost in the late 1980s and said: “I like the way Senna dealt with it. I think I’ll take a leaf out of Senna’s book.”

eek.gif
Nutball.
If he doesn't calm the **** down pretty soon, he's going to incinerate his whole season, and maybe Mercs. Meltdown in 10,9,.........
BGLeduc likes this.
post #4126 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From that article "Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live Hamilton compared the situation to the feud between Senna and Prost in the late 1980s and said: “I like the way Senna dealt with it. I think I’ll take a leaf out of Senna’s book.”

eek.gif
Nutball.
If he doesn't calm the **** down pretty soon, he's going to incinerate his whole season, and maybe Mercs. Meltdown in 10,9,.........
Agree.
Pettiness/ego has torn teams apart before and it looks like we are heading that way again.
I'm sure everyone on the team is troubled by this escalation.

I would love to know the thoughts of Lauda about all of this.
If there is anyone active in the sport today who understands the psychology of driving and drivers better than him, I don't know who it is.

post #4127 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is some Ferrari goodness while we wait for tomorrow's race:

post #4128 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

eek.gif
Nutball.

Just watched my Quali recording.

Wow. Holy carp.

When I saw Nico go off, I instantly thought about Schumi from a few seasons back. Maybe he just legitimately threw it away....not like there was no pressure on the last quali lap at Monaco. On purpose or not, the smile on his face was the perfect FU to Hamilton and his bull sh*t tough upbringing nonsense.

As for Hamilton, his sense of entitlement is out of control. If something like this, which may well have been legitimate, is enough to f*ck with his head to this extent, then he is nothing but a primadonna, which is how I have felt about him for quite some time.

On the other hand, if Nico did have the presence of mind to go off and not get bagged for it, then that's the best F1 mind f*ck in many, many years.

If they don't take each other out tomorrow, it will be a minor miracle.
Tack likes this.
post #4129 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just watched my Quali recording.

Wow. Holy carp.

When I saw Nico go off, I instantly thought about Schumi from a few seasons back. Maybe he just legitimately threw it away....not like there was no pressure on the last quali lap at Monaco. On purpose or not, the smile on his face was the perfect FU to Hamilton and his bull sh*t tough upbringing nonsense.

As for Hamilton, his sense of entitlement is out of control. If something like this, which may well have been legitimate, is enough to f*ck with his head to this extent, then he is nothing but a primadonna, which is how I have felt about him for quite some time.

On the other hand, if Nico did have the presence of mind to go off and not get bagged for it, then that's the best F1 mind f*ck in many, many years.

lol

post #4130 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

A gift for the Tifosi. Fred tweeted this out today. Damn nice pic, if you ask me.

yankeeman likes this.
post #4131 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That is a nice pic. Make a good poster.

post #4132 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

A gift for the Tifosi. Fred tweeted this out today. Damn nice pic, if you ask me.

Nice pic.

Too bad the Ferraris are so tail happy. Monaco is an intense, no error track when your car works. When you have to worry about the tail wiggling and smashing the barricade, it doesn't do much for your confidence. Even though Alonso and Kimi were both driving the wheels off the car trying. Obviously, Kimi still isn't quite as comfortable with the car as Alonso is.

DR put in another great drive. I didn't see the "mistake" he made at turn 8 when he said he lost the rear, but I don't think it would have mattered as far as position is concerned.

I don't think Nico did it on purpose, but he was definitely pleased to block Lewis from going quicker than him. As mentioned, there will be fireworks between them tomorrow. Hopefully, if it all goes astray, they take out the RBs too! biggrin.gif Hey, I know that's the only way we stand a chance to win....I can dream....
post #4133 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Im not sure the other drivers would agree.

His future may be, but their's isn't! tongue.gif
post #4134 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

PLEASE let it be a MASSIVE one!

Allison: We have a step up in horsepower for Canada

Ferrari have earmarked the Canadian Grand Prix to crank up their engine as they are confident that the so far disappointing V6 turbo power unit can run bolder engine settings.

Ferrari Technical Director James Allison told members of the media in Monaco, “On the engine side, the only changes that you are allowed to make to hardware are for reliability so there is no opportunity for performance there. There is [however] a lot of opportunity to get more horsepower out of the same hardware as you increase your confidence in how hard you can push it.”

“As time goes by, on the dynos, you learn exactly where you can exploit the performance, and that brings you confidence to bring new settings that deliver actual horsepower to the wheels. That happens continuously and we have a step in that direction coming in Canada.”

In conjunction with the engine tweaks the Maranello outfit has a collection of upgrades to be bolted on to the yet to sparkle Ferrari F14T in forthcoming races, although no for the Monaco weekend which requires a package unique to the characteristics of the twisty street circuit.

The Italian team’s latest offering has done Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen, drivers considered the best of the best, few favours and is clearly no match for the pace setters this season.

Allison acknowledged, “We have been relatively strong at front-limited tracks over rear-limited tracks, but I don’t think that we could claim to have produced a chassis that is, at the moment, the equal to either Mercedes or Red Bull. We’re not lagging hugely behind but there is still work to do before we can say we are truly happy with the chassis performance.”

“We brought upgrades to China that worked reasonably well. The car had a good weekend there. A a combination of improvements we made and a track that suited us a little bit better. We bought some things to Spain as well, but it was a much more modest set of [upgrade] pieces,” said Allison.

“All the big teams have similar sized facilities and a similar approach to work, so it is very difficult to achieve a rate of improvement that is substantially different to the people we are fighting with.”

“However, we’ve had a race or two where the pieces we brought to the track were useful but not big steps forward. We hope in the coming races to have a more steady progression of things which we hope will lift us up.”

“I think the key thing in this sport is to do the right thing and to do it long enough for it to have an effect. Much of what Ferrari does is already right. There are some things when I arrived I wished to change direction on and improve upon, and time will tell whether my judgement is correct.”

“I hope we will see some of the results of that this season, I hope more the next and even more the next. It’s a sport where you build up your power, you maintain your power, and utilise your power by doing the right thing for long enough with a mixture of short, medium and long term plans. That is what I’m trying to do,” revealed Allison.

Ferrari are currently going through a lean period, not having won a race since Spain last year, while this year Fernando Alonso has only once finished on the podium and Kimi Raikkonen yet to visit the podium – his best results to date a trio of seventh place finishes.
post #4135 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

I don't think Nico did it on purpose, but he was definitely pleased to block Lewis from going quicker than him. As mentioned, there will be fireworks between them tomorrow.

Whether or not it was deliberate, Rosberg should have been apologetic instead of celebrating that he got the pole. From Hamilton's point of view it's better to take them both out than lose 7 points to his teammate, so I'm sure he's going to be super aggressive at the start.

And if the team have decided that Hamilton really deserves the win, we'll probably see Rosberg's pit stops taking just a little longer.
post #4136 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Whether or not it was deliberate, Rosberg should have been apologetic instead of celebrating that he got the pole. From Hamilton's point of view it's better to take them both out than lose 7 points to his teammate, so I'm sure he's going to be super aggressive at the start.

And if the team have decided that Hamilton really deserves the win, we'll probably see Rosberg's pit stops taking just a little longer.

Both very good points. The pit stop would be an easy way to give Lewis his deserved position without forcing Nico to give it up.
post #4137 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On purpose or not, the smile on his face was the perfect FU to Hamilton and his bull sh*t tough upbringing nonsense.
+1

Quote:
Correction: a very fast primadonna.wink.gif

Quote:
I guess it's safe to say LH isn't the ONLY one on the team who can play mind-games.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Who wants to give odds on the Safety Car coming out before the end of the first lap?

All the way back thru the grid we have teammates lined up with each other....and NO ONE wants to finish behind their teammate.

FWIW, I think the first 3 rows will see all 9 cars diving into the first corner like wild banshees.biggrin.gif

Quote:

+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Too bad the Ferraris are so tail happy. Monaco is an intense, no error track when your car works. When you have to worry about the tail wiggling and smashing the barricade, it doesn't do much for your confidence. Even though Alonso and Kimi were both driving the wheels off the car trying. Obviously, Kimi still isn't quite as comfortable with the car as Alonso is.
+3

Quote:
Hopefully, if it all goes astray, they take out the RBs too! biggrin.gif Hey, I know that's the only way we stand a chance to win....I can dream....
Stranger things have happened....wink.gif

post #4138 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's a dangerous game to play.
If drivers think their teams will actively try to sabotage their race, it can get really ugly, really fast.

post #4139 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

lol F1 is coming to you next.

post #4140 of 5627 Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whether or not it was deliberate, Rosberg should have been apologetic instead of celebrating that he got the pole.

I would agree. NR should have taken the high road, but I think this was just a reaction to some of the crap Lewis has been spewing out.

Thinking about this, I am betting the LH will no longer be doing clutch tests to benefit Nico. :-)
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page