Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Who drove Sennas car the rest of the season after his passing at Imola?

Please dont look it up. Answer if you can.
Ummm....yeah. So, anyway..Not sure if this was just missed by a lot of guys or what and I think this is a great trivia question so I thought I'd post it again.
If you can answer it without looking it up...U de Man!

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:

Ummm....yeah. So, anyway..Not sure if this was just missed by a lot of guys or what and I think this is a great trivia question so I thought I'd post it again.

Catonic already answered. David Coulthard
Old 05-27-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Wait, isn't "looking it up", the method for learning new things? You either did the same or saw information about it.biggrin.gif

The movie 1 in his interview it is mentioned that's how he got his Williams ride.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post

David Coulthard.

Also, Nigel Mansell.

Edit: lol, no one replies for 2 hours, and then 2 replies ninja'd in front of my as I'm typing rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUZuMBPq9o
Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post

Also, Nigel Mansell.

Coulthard was the "replacement" though.
Quote:

Edit: lol, no one replies for 2 hours, and then 2 replies ninja'd in front of my as I'm typing rolleyes.gif

Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Someone with Photoshop skills needs to put Nico's face on that pic. :-)
Tack likes this.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Anyone going to be in Montreal for the F1 race?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post

My buddy Morpheo usually goes.
Shoot him a PM.smile.gif

Swine are good people too.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

My buddy Morpheo usually goes.
Shoot him a PM.smile.gif

Thanks Oink. I promise not to eat any Pork.biggrin.gif
Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
I was out of town for the weekend but boy did it not stop me from having one hell of a racing weekend! Though I didn't have time to read the thread. Man this place is crazy active. Wish I could just sit in a room with you all and chat.

So I was in Monterey Bay for the holiday weekend. Caught the practice sesh before I left. Missed the qualifying but saw the whole GP... in spanish. Lol. Also watched the whole Indy 500 and what a dramatic race that was! Hell I even caught a bunch of NHRA funny car and top fuel. Oh man. smile.gif

Also went to Laguna Seca but the track wasn't open nor was there any events going on. I did happen to walk around the whole inside autocross area. Got me a shirt and sweatshirt as a memento.

It was REALLY hard keeping this 470hp supercharged Jag under 100mph coming home. The highway was all clear even. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

It was REALLY hard keeping this 470hp supercharged Jag under 100mph coming home. The highway was all clear even. biggrin.gif
WHOA!
Pics, please.smile.gif

Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Monaco Qualifying was interesting to say the least. I see what you did there Roseberg.

Pre-Race coverage was cool, and did anyone else catch Elon Musk looking like a total, albeit a rick, Dork.....He was in line with the Royal family or something like that.

The whole pomp and circumstance just furthers my desire to be rich and be able to attend such events. I've gone to the USGP a few times, but Monaco F-1 is on a level so much higher than any other racing event, PERIOD.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

WHOA!
Pics, please.smile.gif

It's a stock 2013 Jaguar XJL Supercharged. Nothing modified or anything aftermarket. I certainly didn't get any pics while driving it. tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh wait. Actually. When my dad and I left the infield area he put on his Google Glass and filmed our driving out and around the race track. Not sure if you would be interested in seeing that at all. I can ask if he would share it and I can upload it here. It's an interesting perspective of Laguna Seca if you haven't been there. Lemme know.

Here's a pic of it that I took last year.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:

It's a stock 2013 Jaguar XJL Supercharged. Nothing modified or anything aftermarket. I certainly didn't get any pics while driving it. tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh wait. Actually. When my dad and I left the infield area he put on his Google Glass and filmed our driving out and around the race track. Not sure if you would be interested in seeing that at all. I can ask if he would share it and I can upload it here. It's an interesting perspective of Laguna Seca if you haven't been there. Lemme know.

Here's a pic of it that I took last year.

If you got it,post it,thanks 😃
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's a stock 2013 Jaguar XJL Supercharged.
Very cool cruiser.smile.gif
I seriously considered buying an XJ for Mr. Oink years ago (she said she likes the "kitty" leaper rolleyes.gif ).

Quote:
Nothing modified or anything aftermarket.
Only an idiot would want to modify an XJ.

Quote:
Yes, please!

Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm going all 3 days I can't wait!! I was getting worried because I still haven't received my tickets yet. But I just received a email today saying they shipped.

GO Lewis biggrin.gif:D:D
Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebreeze View Post

I'm going all 3 days I can't wait!! I was getting worried because I still haven't received my tickets yet. But I just received a email today saying they shipped.

Maybe some AVS members can get together for a drink in Montreal. My wife and I will be there starting Wednesday before the race. Thursday AM the pit area is open to the public. PM me if interested. I also sent a PM to Morpheo who lives in Montreal.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Sutil showed us how you do passing at Monaco.

And then proceeded to crash all by himself coming out of the tunnel.......
Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

• Niki - Excellent Lewis. I just knew you'd come around. Uh, one more thing before you go, Lewis. That whole "leaf out of Senna's book" thing? Don't ever compare yourself to Senna again. You couldn't carry his backpack let alone mine, you little twat!

• Lewis - (sobs)

• Niki - Good. Good. Let the ridiculousness of that thought flow through you for a while. Now get the hell out of here. And not a peep from you!

Classic! The whole thing was great in normal Tack fashion, but this part had tears in my eyes! WELL DONE SIR!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Tech Analysis: Ferrari PU design

The Monaco GP weekend finally revealed one of F1′s biggest recent tech secrets. William Tyson takes a look at Ferrari’s power unit.

I distinctly remember reading Shell’s (fuel supplier for Ferrari) Twitter account one January morning with the suggestion that the new Ferrari power unit would be unveiled to the world over the coming hours. Did we catch a glimpse of it? Yes, but it was under a large red blanket. And nothing more. Since then there have only been rumours as to how Ferrari have built their V6 turbo hybrid – until the Monaco GP weekend.

Ferrari pride themselves in their engine building and whilst Mercedes’s true PU layout surfaced very early this season, the Scuderia have been very careful in covering theirs up as the cars are built/stripped during the Grand Prix weekend. On Thursday practice last week Kimi Raikkonen suffered gearbox problems so his car had to be taken apart to discover the issue. In doing so, TV broadcasting cameras were on site to take a look and their images finally revealed what had been suspected about the Ferrari PU design.

It was apparent during the launch period that the Ferrari-powered cars had slimmer sidepods than any other and now we have evidence as to why that is. Similar to the Mercedes solution, Ferrari have packaged the turbo’s intercooler along the centreline of the car to free up space in the sidepods for an aerodynamic benefit. Unlike Mercedes, however, the intercooler is mounted inside the ‘V’ of the engine, submerged within a water jacket to cool the charge air from the compressor.

The diagram above demonstrates this tidy layout. Sandwiched between the exhaust driven (red) and compressor (blue) sides of the turbo lies the MGU-H (yellow), which is situated in almost identical fashion to the Mercedes PU apart from that its axle does not span the entire length of the engine. The compressor draws in air coming through the airbox, which is then passed on to the uniquely placed intercooler (green). Once cooled the charge air bends up and over the engine and back into the cylinders.

The water inside of the water jacket – surrounding the intercooler – is cooled by a small radiator in the sidepod which is far smaller and lighter solution than placing the intercooler itself in the sidepod. The plumbing network between the turbo, inlet plenums and back into the cylinders is far shorter than the Renault design and slightly less than the Mercedes. This is beneficial because less pipework reduces turbo lag significantly. The MGU-H negotiates turbo lag to a very good effect, but Ferrari’s layout puts less reliance/strain on the latter component to do its job, thus improving reliability to a certain extent.

The downside of this architecture is that the water surrounding the intercooler is inflicted by the high surrounding temperatures caused by the engine, so the water jacket has to be thick which increases weight. The Mercedes PU doesn’t have to deal with this problem as the intercooler is mounted along the centre of the car but away from the engine, whereas Renault have differing solutions from team-to-team. Whilst one could argue that placing the intercooler in the ‘V’ increases centre of gravity, this is in fact negated by Ferrari’s ability to mount the turbo unit lower due to the placement of the MGU-H between the two sides of the turbo.

Overall, Ferrari have produced a beautifully crafted piece of tech and it is perhaps no surprise that they have wanted to keep this so secret. With large software tweaks coming for Canada we could well see a match for Mercedes – in raw power terms at least – for the remainder of the season.
TeflonSoul likes this.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebreeze View Post

Quote:

Maybe some AVS members can get together for a drink in Montreal. My wife and I will be there starting Wednesday before the race. Thursday AM the pit area is open to the public. PM me if interested. I also sent a PM to Morpheo who lives in Montreal.
Hope you guys hook up and tell us all about it when ya get back.
Not asking anything as elaborate as my Austin Travelogue, but it would be great if you could share some of the experience with the unlucky rest of us.smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Classic! The whole thing was great in normal Tack fashion, but this part had tears in my eyes! WELL DONE SIR!
Tack Rules.wink.gif

Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Tech Analysis: Ferrari PU design

The Monaco GP weekend finally revealed one of F1′s biggest recent tech secrets. William Tyson takes a look at Ferrari’s power unit.

Overall, Ferrari have produced a beautifully crafted piece of tech and it is perhaps no surprise that they have wanted to keep this so secret. With large software tweaks coming for Canada we could well see a match for Mercedes – in raw power terms at least – for the remainder of the season.
Fascinating how each manufacturer has come up with a different and yet somewhat similar solution to the biggest problem with a turbo: how to keep everything cool.
As clever as the MB design is, so is Ferrari's.

I hope their software updates for Canada works well.wink.gif

Old 05-27-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Wait, isn't "looking it up", the method for learning new things? You either did the same or saw information about it.biggrin.gif

The movie 1 in his interview it is mentioned that's how he got his Williams ride.
Yi. I happened across this tidbit when doing a little research. But I would only be impressed if someone knew it. Anyone can look it up.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, Nigel Mansell.

U de Man! Most people apparently dont remember that Mansell drove Sennas car at Magny-Cours and the last 3 races of the season.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Coulthard was the "replacement" though.
Wrong answer.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 356
@gprace - hopefully we can meet on sunday for the race and get a drink or two...... wink.gifcool.gif

Although I'm not the most active poster in the thread, rest all assured I'll post pics afterwards! smile.gif
Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

@gprace - hopefully we can meet on sunday for the race and get a drink or two...... wink.gifcool.gif

Although I'm not the most active poster in the thread, rest all assured I'll post pics afterwards! smile.gif
Keep us posted and enjoy. 😃
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wrong answer.
Hmm.
Between the Monaco GP and the Spanish GP, Williams announced they had brought David Coulthard in to replace Senna, with Nigel Mansell deputising at those races which did not overlap with his IndyCar commitments.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wrong answer.

Don't be a dork.

David Coulthard Races - 5-6, 8-13

Nigel Mansell Races - 7, 14-16

Race 4 was Sennas last race. Ergo Coulthard was Sennas replacement.