2014 Formula 1 in HD - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 418Likes

post #4381 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

+1 Mostly Vettel though it seems.

I agree. Although vettel is a great driver, and I use the word "great" advisedly, he seems to have had more trouble than most in mastering the very different handling characteristics of the 2014 cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree. Although vettel is a great driver, and I use the word "great" advisedly, he seems to be have had more trouble than most in mastering the very different handling characteristics of the 2014 cars.
He also seems to be having more than his share of technical problems/breakdowns. Ala Mark Webber.
Some of that may be due to having trouble in mastering the new car. But, also I suspect a bit of bad luck.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4383 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The turbo aside for a moment, seems like this is a significant upgrade.

Love the 2 tone scheme:

Yep. I like what they have done with it. It's still no 458, but a substantial improvement nonetheless.

That does look good.
post #4384 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:

He also seems to be having more than his share of technical problems/breakdowns. Ala Mark Webber.
Some of that may be due to having trouble in mastering the new car. But, also I suspect a bit of bad luck.

As much as i disliked his whiny garbage last year, he's handling the setbacks of this year like a pro.
post #4385 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

As much as i disliked his whiny garbage last year, he's handling the setbacks of this year like a pro.

Let's not get carried away now.......he has done well for the most part, but he has still had a few tantrums here and there. I will say that for the most part, he has impressed me with his behavior. Karma is a motha! biggrin.gif
post #4386 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Like a pro" might be pushing it but much better than I would have expected. But he's got to know that it wont be popular to whine about the car a lot when his teammate is 3rd in the Drivers Chamionship.
Edit: Sorry. 4th. My dude is 3rd.

post #4387 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Like a pro" might be pushing it but much better than I would have expected. But he's got to know that it wont be popular to whine about the car a lot when his teammate is 3rd in the Drivers Chamionship.
Edit: Sorry. 4th. My dude is 3rd.

Your dude is doing pretty good on the whining front this year too. Maybe the whining at the front this year is just drowning everyone else out. Put a three pointed star on the hood = instant diva.

Just kidding, Merc fans smile.gif
post #4388 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

God bless the one American manufacturer who carries the flag at Le Mans: Chevrolet.

However, there is NO good reason for Ford to continue its lack of involvement in road or endurance racing.
NASCAR doesn't count and neither does the small series with the nearly stock Mustangs.
I find it irritating they refuse to play in the big leagues.mad.gif

[/rant over]

Why doesn't NASCAR count? While I am not NASCARs biggest fan, the racing is superior to Indycrap.

As for Ford, they have done everything and succeeded. I guess they feel they want to go where they get the most bang for the buck. I might add when has GM ever bothered to enter F1?

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #4389 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your dude is doing pretty good on the whining front this year too. Maybe the whining at the front this year is just drowning everyone else out. Put a three pointed star on the hood = instant diva.

Just kidding, Merc fans smile.gif
lol Interesting that you insult 3 people but apologize for only 2.
Hes allowed to whine. Its legitimate. And when youre carrying a team (including another World Champion) by yourself you get special privileges.

post #4390 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol Interesting that you insult 3 people but apologize for only 2.
Hes allowed to whine. Its legitimate. And when youre carrying a team (including another World Champion) by yourself you get special privileges.

And I thought I was being nice..... "Pretty good on the whining front" means I don't think he's whining very much this year. He actually HAS a bad car this time.
post #4391 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And I thought I was being nice..... "Pretty good on the whining front" means I don't think he's whining very much this year. He actually HAS a bad car this time.
I see. Sorry. I'm not used to you being nice. wink.gif

post #4392 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see. Sorry. I'm not used to you being nice.

Understandable.

wink.gif
post #4393 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Understandable.

wink.gif
lol I added a wink.

post #4394 of 6778 Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Why doesn't NASCAR count? While I am not NASCARs biggest fan, the racing is superior to Indycrap.
I was speaking about the major series which run completely on "road courses" and are technologically advanced: F1 and TUDOR (and Le Mans).

Quote:
As for Ford, they have done everything and succeeded. I guess they feel they want to go where they get the most bang for the buck.
That's my point....they want to sell more Mustangs, not demonstrate an ability to produce cutting edge auto tech.

Quote:
I might add when has GM ever bothered to enter F1?
AFAIK, never.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #4395 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 347
More nonsense from Toto:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9336140/Drivers-must-keep-fighting-Wolff

Just what exactly does he think he could or would do if the "boys break their toys"? A stern lecture? Banishment from the team motor home? A caviar reduction? I can't imagine what level of f*ck up would have to occur before Merc would be willing to dole out any sort of meaningful discipline.

And this from John Watson:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9335290/-Brawn-would-handle-fall-out-better-

I do see his point that there are a lot of cooks in Merc's kitchen, but I really don't know that anyone would have the gravitas to deal with two drivers that are for all intents and purposes dead even in the WC half way through a season. As much as I am not a Hamilton fan (far from it) my money is on Lewis to assert control over the season starting this weekend. But if it does go down to the wire, figuratively speaking, there will be blood.
post #4396 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 117
It is only the competition between Rosberg and Hamilton that has kept this season being of continued interest. And that is in stark contrast to last season where team orders meant that Webber had no chance against Vettel. I was one of the approx. 500,000 television viewers who simply stopped watching as it was a complete waste of time.
Good on Mercedes for allowing their two drivers to race and maintaining interest in the 2014 season.
Hopefully the winner of the WDC will not be decided by Bernie's insane idea of double points at Abu Dhabi.
yankeeman likes this.
post #4397 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post

It is only the competition between Rosberg and Hamilton that has kept this season being of continued interest. And that is in stark contrast to last season where team orders meant that Webber had no chance against Vettel. I was one of the approx. 500,000 television viewers who simply stopped watching as it was a complete waste of time.
Good on Mercedes for allowing their two drivers to race and maintaining interest in the 2014 season.
Hopefully the winner of the WDC will not be decided by Bernie's insane idea of double points at Abu Dhabi.

I had not really thought about the double points baloney for a while. That would truly be an unfortunate outcome for the season.
post #4398 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post

I agree. I was just thinking about the stupid double points thing the other day myself. Imagine if Nico and Lewis stay fairly close to each other in points, the championship really could be decided with double points for winning the last race. That would be really unfair if the double points give the victory to the guy who might have been just too far out to catch up without the double points.

To me, the only way you might be semi able to justify double points is to double the length of the race. But that would be really tough on both drivers and the equipment. This is really stupid.

never take life seriously
post #4399 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I think it's almost inevitable double points means everything will hinge on the last race. Neither driver is likely to have a 50 point lead, and all it takes is a DNF by the championship leader to hand everything to the other Merc driver. Really stupid.
post #4400 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I dont even remember what the final decision was. There was talk about double points for the last few races. Is it for only the last race now?

post #4401 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I dont even remember what the final decision was. There was talk about double points for the last few races. Is it for only the last race now?

Yup, last race only. IMO, I could see giving a 25% or so points bonus to some of the biggest races of the year (Monaco, Monza, Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka for example) but a 100% bonus, and in Abu Dhabi no less. Ehrm how bout no.
post #4402 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

I had not really thought about the double points baloney for a while. That would truly be an unfortunate outcome for the season.
Yes, it would.
However, it would be apropos when you consider how f_cked up this year has been regarding the turbo situation and 5 engines per.rolleyes.gif

post #4403 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Newey on drivers adapting:

Adrian Newey admits that Sebastian Vettel has struggled to adapt to the loss of the blown diffuser in 2014 and that Red Bull Racing is trying to adjust the car to suit his style.

Vettel was the master of driving with the extra rear downforce that was generated until the use of exhaust gasses was completely outlawed for this year.

“There’s a fair bit of that,” Newey said. “Seb has a very particular way of driving and if we can get the car to suit that driving style, then he’s very effective. If we can’t then he’s not able to exploit that. So it’s a work in progress.

“We can’t replace the blown diffuser obviously, but Sebastian was quick before they came along. It’s a relearning curve.”

Meanwhile Newey says that he’s been hugely impressed by Daniel Ricciardo.

“He’s been right on it really from Day 1. So often a relatively inexperienced driver coming to a new team, it takes a while to settle, and he seems to have adapted straight away to the new engine regulations and the slightly different characteristics of the car as a result of that. He’s been very good.”

Newey concedes that while the RB10 was closer to Mercedes in Monaco, that might not be the case in Canada.

“It was encouraging, but the circuit flattered us, let’s say, so it may not be the same at some of the circuits coming up. Montreal may not be our strongest circuit.”

post #4404 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Renault say Canada will be the first time they can compare their pace to Mercedes

French firm hoping to be out of "recovery mode" in Montreal

Renault say this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix will be their first opportunity to see where they are compared to the opposition.

Teams powered by the French engine manufacturer suffered numerous reliability problems during pre-season testing and whilst the situation has improved, Renault say there were in "recovery mode" for the first six races.

That said, Sebastian Vettel was forced to retire in Monaco due to a turbo failure on his Renault-powered Red Bull while a fuel pump problem meant that Pastor Maldonado's Lotus failed to even make the start. Both Toro Rosso cars also dropped out after developing exhaust issues.

"At the start of the season we said that we would be out of recovery mode and back on track from the Canadian Grand Prix onwards," Renault Sport F1's Head of Track Operations Remi Taffin said.

"In the last four races we've introduced several new upgrades and we will complete the process in Montreal, effectively giving us the first full opportunity to see where we are versus the competition.

"We have several new parts to debut here, primarily designed to give us greater reliability. As in previous races we have more upgrades to software to further enhance driveability and energy management. Additionally we have investigated the reasons for the failures in Monaco and have taken measures to ensure they do not reoccur. In particular we have looked at Vettel's issue, which was traced back to a mechanical problem with the MGU-H.

"The part in question has been revisited and further end of line checks have made it more robust now. The exhaust issues on the Toro Rossos have also been investigated with the team and together we have seen how we can avoid further issues in future thanks to improvements to our diagnosis and understanding of the full exhaust system behaviour in the car."

Although the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve features long fast straights, its lack of corners relatively speaking means that Renault say their cars will be "on the limit" of their 100kg fuel allowance, due to the limited opportunities to charge their electrical units.

"With very few corners energy recovery via the MGU-K will however be pretty difficult as the cars do not slow frequently over the lap," Taffin explained. "As a result the emphasis will be on the MGU-H to recover energy through the exhaust gases - we'll need as much energy as we can as we'll be right on the limit with the fuel consumption here. Having said that, we will also monitor the right balance between traditional and electrical energy to decide the most effective way to use the fuel in the race.

"Even though we know that the competition is extremely strong, we go to Montreal in an optimistic frame of mind as we always do our best to win on track. Realistically we have to be humble, but it will still be a very good test of how far we've come since the difficult winter testing period and how much work remains to be done."
post #4405 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

James Allen on the LH vs. NR rivalry:

This Sunday the Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg will go head to had once again in the Canadian Grand Prix and over the weekend Hamilton took steps to tone down the bitter atmosphere, which had sprung up between them in Monaco.

He posted a tweet with a photo of the pair as kids saying, “We’ve been friends a long time & as friends we have our ups & downs. Today we spoke & we’re cool, still friends #noproblem”

This is worth a moment’s examination.

First it is clear that Hamilton does not – at this stage at least – want this to escalate into a full blown feud, like Mansell and Piquet or Prost and Senna from the past. Both of these were triggered by a breakdown in trust, as was the start of the Hamilton/Rosberg tension.

The build up to Monaco featured both drivers illicitly using a maximum engine mode (Rosberg in Bahrain and Hamilton in Spain) against team wishes. That has been stamped out. But then the affair blew up in Monaco, with Hamilton clearly miffed that Rosberg had deliberately blocked his final run in qualifying to take pole and set himself up for the win. He left no-one in any doubt about that and on Saturday even murmured about taking a leaf from Senna’s book. Post race he was asked about that and said that he hadn’t done that, clearly; in other words he hadn’t taken Rosberg out at the first corner.

Hamilton wanted to turn Monaco to his advantage, but instead he did the opposite: he came across as a bad loser, upset many of his own fans with the way he carried himself, he attracted criticism from some leading lights such as John Surtees, Mika Hakkinen and even FIA steward Derek Warwick. And, of course, the stewards found no proof that Rosberg had done it deliberately.

Hamilton has reflected on these reactions and this has clearly informed his decision to patch things up with Rosberg.

Another important aspect, which he will have realised, is that Montreal is likely to favour him, as he has a fantastic record around there, with three wins and three poles. Along with Hungary it has always been a circuit which suits him more than any other driver out there. Mercedes will have a significant car advantage there and he wants a nice clean weekend, focussed on the job of getting pole, the win and the championship lead back; no distractions.

He does not want to have to fend off media questions about Monaco, Rosberg and all the rest of it. Monaco showed that Rosberg can play that game better. Hamilton’s best approach is to try to beat Rosberg on the track and keep his powder dry on their rivalry.

It is true that they have been friends for many years and that this counts for something. It certainly differentiates them from the other high profile team mate feuds of the past.

On the one hand it shows sensible management of the situation, but it comes only after his instinctive handling of the situation in Monaco backfired. Not for the first time, he has had to change position.

Although it makes a more compelling narrative for the media and encourages the fans to tune in to watch, emotion needs to be kept out of his title campaign.

It is there for the taking; but mastering himself is as important as mastering Rosberg.

post #4406 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

More from Nikki:

Niki Lauda claims Lewis Hamilton has accepted his loss to Nico Rosberg at the Monaco Grand Prix, but admitted that the situation in the Mercedes garage is still 'tricky'.

After the Mercedes pair fell out in the Principality, Hamilton took to Twitter to reveal that he and Rosberg were cool" and "still friends".

Speaking to the Osterreich newspaper, Lauda - who is the non-executive chairman at Mercedes - revealed Hamilton has come to grips with his second place in Monaco, but added that the situation could flare up again at any point this season.

"Lewis has now accepted Nico won in Monaco and he was second, which is really no shame," Lauda, himself a three-time World Champion, told the Osterreich newspaper.

"In Montreal (for this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix) we will get together again and discuss everything. After that the fight will go on for the world championship, with both in equal cars.

"But with two alphas currently sitting in the best car it is tricky, although given our superiority that in turn makes the races interesting.

"But we will let our drivers race against each other without restriction because whilst tension is quite normal, it can also escalate. Then I get involved as a mentor.

"Nico was clearly faster in Monte-Carlo, but now Lewis will do everything he can to fight back.

"It is a strain on our nerves, but for the fans and the sport there is nothing better."

post #4407 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 451
...still haven't got my tickets for sunday...starting to get worried!

post #4408 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...still haven't got my tickets for sunday...starting to get worried!
Uh oh....

FWIW, I didn't get my tickets for Austin last year until a couple of days before my flight.rolleyes.gif

post #4409 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

James Allen on the LH vs. NR rivalry:

The build up to Monaco featured both drivers illicitly using a maximum engine mode ]

I'm liking this a lot.

We had Light Speed, Ridiculous Speed, Ludicrous Speed, and now we have ILLICIT SPEED - GO!

Sounds dangerous. smile.gif
post #4410 of 6778 Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm liking this a lot.

We had Light Speed, Ridiculous Speed, Ludicrous Speed, and now we have ILLICIT SPEED - GO!

Sounds dangerous. smile.gif
lol You forgot Warp speed. Shame on you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page