post #5101 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Surely the Tifosi will not be amused, but I can't say I disagree. No team is bigger than the sport.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/arrogance/

"If he does not like what he has now – to which at some point he must have agreed, because Ferrari has also had veto rights to the rules for almost a decade – then he should do the right thing: pack up all the red paraphernalia and post it to Le Mans, where the Automobile Club de l’Ouest would laugh when the Ferrari begging bowl was thrust towards it."

That's good **** right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
While Luca does get carried away from time to time, the bottom line is that Ferrari is F1. Would they survive if Ferrari left? Sure. Would they take a MASSIVE hit in viewership and fans? ABSOLUTELY. Would it be enough to kill the sport? Probably not initially, but it would lose so much viewership, sponsorship, etc. that it would severely cripple it. At that point, the other big teams (Merc, McLaren, etc.) would leave the sport, because the numbers wouldn't make sense anymore, and that WOULD kill the sport. I for one, hope that Ferrari does use its weight to get some changes implemented, because the sport sucks right now with all of these crap rules and regulations and the powers that be seem hell bent on destroying the sport. Actually, I wish all of the teams would bond together and vote for massive rule changes. Unfortunately, this will never happen and the sport will become more and more a shadow of it's former self in the glory days.

I get where you are coming from but it's not a known quantity what would happen if Ferrari took their ball and went home. They haven't been a winning squad in some years. Who knows how many red flag wavers are actually Ferrari fans or bandwagon people. The bandwagon people are already there, they could easily find something else to cheer about. You don't think that if an Italian driver was in contention for the title that there wouldn't be a giant fan base in Italy and other countries cheering him on whether or not the Scuderia was still part of the mix? I'd hate to bet the house on that and that's what Ferrari would be doing. If they pulled out and the sport progressed without them, good luck getting back in. Those FIA bastards hold a grudge.

As far as Ferrari putting their weight behind rule changes, I'd be all for that except for the hypocrisy of the whole thing. Ferrari, and any other mfg for that matter, is not going to complain about the status quo if they are cleaning up like Merc is this year. Luca would sew a zipper on his mouth to have eight out of nine wins this year.
post #5103 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Been missing your timely updates and breaking news reports lately.
post #5104 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Fords last Le Mans prototype.
yankeeman and TeflonSoul like this.
post #5105 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, just checking out the new "drag and drop" file upload thingy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20752837.jpg (59.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png slothlord.png (361.4 KB, 6 views)
post #5106 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

eheh, still sucks.

Nobody wants to click on thumbnails.

post #5107 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Fords last Le Mans prototype.

That does more for my testosterone level than a prescription.
post #5108 of 5355 Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
eheh, still sucks.

Nobody wants to click on thumbnails.

post #5109 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can't believe it but Indycar has become my new #1 series........

F1: Mercedes 1.2.
MotoGP: Marquez runs away with it

post #5110 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I think at this point with MotoGP I'm just wanting to see Marquez win every race, which would be unprecedented right? An amazing achievement if he pulls it off (and he should judging from the start he won from in Germany).
post #5111 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Rosberg signs multiyear contract extension with Mercedes.
New owners of Caterham drop Alexander Rossi as reserve driver. Dicks.
post #5112 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I read it more like Rossi dropped them?

Probably depends on who's telling the story.
post #5113 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
I get where you are coming from but it's not a known quantity what would happen if Ferrari took their ball and went home. They haven't been a winning squad in some years. Who knows how many red flag wavers are actually Ferrari fans or bandwagon people. The bandwagon people are already there, they could easily find something else to cheer about. You don't think that if an Italian driver was in contention for the title that there wouldn't be a giant fan base in Italy and other countries cheering him on whether or not the Scuderia was still part of the mix? I'd hate to bet the house on that and that's what Ferrari would be doing. If they pulled out and the sport progressed without them, good luck getting back in. Those FIA bastards hold a grudge.

As far as Ferrari putting their weight behind rule changes, I'd be all for that except for the hypocrisy of the whole thing. Ferrari, and any other mfg for that matter, is not going to complain about the status quo if they are cleaning up like Merc is this year. Luca would sew a zipper on his mouth to have eight out of nine wins this year.

All very good points, as usual. No one knows for sure, but I look at it this way. We have been awful for YEARS now and still, at every single race, there is more red and Ferrari flags in the stands than any other team. Usually by quite a big margin. I don't see all of those fans changing teams if Ferrari left. Either way, it's pure speculation as to the outcome IF it happened, which we both know won't.

Also very true.
post #5114 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Thanks. Been missing your timely updates and breaking news reports lately.

Yeah, this forum layout really deters me from coming here as often as I use to. Everything about posting is tedious now.

I see their drag and drop feature is useless as well. Thanks for testing that for me. As you mentioned, no one wants to click on thumbnails. If they can't simplify the posting process to make it function as it did before, they will lose LOTS of traffic. I can't believe that whoever tested this software thought it was a viable alternative to the old software. Different is acceptable, difficult and tedious is not! I don't want to have to make three or four steps to post a normal size image that I could do in two clicks before.

Something as simple as "Mark this forum read" is two steps now instead of one.

Sorry for the rant guys. I was just hoping they would have fixed this thing by now.
post #5115 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not just you, traffic seems to be down site wide. Kind of depressing to see this thread slow down, it's always the first one I check. The old forum was a custom one for AVS and was probably the best working and looking forum I've ever used so it's a tough job for anything new to compete. You'd think they would fire up the old software and emulate the features that everyone liked into this one. I don't write code though so I'm probably talking out of my *#%.
post #5116 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Catching up on my backlog of Pirelli WC races. Watching RA race now. What a great series,and RA is a fantastic track. The Bentley Speed GT car debuts here, what a great looking car. Great variety of cars and classes. BTW,those KIA's are fast. Good stuff! 😃
post #5117 of 5355 Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I think at this point with MotoGP I'm just wanting to see Marquez win every race, which would be unprecedented right? An amazing achievement if he pulls it off (and he should judging from the start he won from in Germany).
Agreed ,the title is won, would like to see Marquez run the table. History in the making. Waiting for Suzuki to jump back in to the mix, that will get me excited again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #5118 of 5355 Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The German TV schedule. Enjoy the thumbnail. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BswAuIkCIAI6_gl.jpg (37.5 KB, 22 views)
RaceTripper and Tack like this.
post #5119 of 5355 Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ry/167537.html

Being a natural born cynic, I would like to point out that Fred appears to be speaking only for himself, not his management team. :-)
post #5120 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

IndyCar doubleheader this weekend from Toronto, Canada.
Sat and Sun on NBCSN at 3p EST.
post #5121 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I could be wrong, but I think there is actually a F1 race this weekend. Can anyone confirm that? :-)

This thread is dying a fast death….last try some F1 CPR.

OK, Quali spoilers galore, but the lovely new forum software seems to have taken spoiler tags away too.

A failed brake disc on Hamilton's car ends his day in Q1. The Hammy conspiracy theorists are up in arms, as it appears that Nico and Lewis run different brakes. Get over it dudes. Parts fail. End of story. That said, I expect to see him in P2 at the end of the day tomorrow. Should be an entertaining run.

As for Quali times, I still think Merc is sand-bagging, although Bottas did uncork a pretty solid lap. But one lap pace does not win F1 races. Of course, if the Merc's have reliability issues, I would love to see Bottas on the top step.

What else…ah yes, Ricciardo again smokes Vettel. And on his home turf. Boy, that really sucks, said absolutely no one save for Vettel's mother and a particular purveyor of energy drinks. It really drives home the point that his 4 WC's were mostly all about the car.

As for the red cars, at what point does Ferrari decide that this Kimi thing is just not paying off. He looked good through practice, but then failed to turn that in to a decent quali run. The Prancing Horse does show loyalty to their drivers, but even when there were calls for Massa's head, he would always manage to deliver a result. Kimi has shown that he just can't get on with the F14T. He is not in Ferrari's future plans, and the season is lost. What better time to promote a young driver for a half-season of seasoning in the pressure cooker that is The Scuderia?

Lastly, a decent run from Magnusson. As for Button…..sorry, but you are now past your "sell by" date. The strange feeling in your posterior is Ron Dennis's Ferragamo up your ass as he sends you out the door at the end of the season.
Tack likes this.
post #5122 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

You really have to be on your way to the loony bin to actually believe Merc would sabotage the brakes on Hambones car. Apparently there are a lot of people that do. Blows my mind. That kind of fan base degrades the sport as a whole IMO. There's a reason I quit taking part in other forums years ago. Those people will get to you over time and then you run the risk of becoming one of them.

I still believe Vettel is naturally faster than Daniel. There's just something off for him this year. My opinion will change if this status quo remains till the end of the year.

I too had high hopes for Kimi through practice but he dropped the ball again. They never said why he aborted his final q2 lap? He just barely got over the line in time for one flying lap and then pulled off. I was all ready for something exciting. Oh well.

After reading your post I realized that if you squint a little bit, F14T looks just like FIAT.
post #5123 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
How many races in a row is this in which Mercedes didn't qualify 1-2 on the grid? There for a while it looked like a Mercedes sweep was going to be an every race occurrence. Mercedes are clearly faster than everybody else but they do have a tendency to break. Still, I look for Nico to win another one tomorrow.

I don't know what to make of Ferrari. Even the supremely talented Alonso has been only marginally successful, at least by his standards and Ferrari's. Kimi struggles with his car have been ugly. I don't know what the trick is to driving this year's Ferraris but whatever it is, Kimi seems not to have mastered it.

It seems to me that the new rules have taken the bloom off of F1's rose. I may have to start watching Indy Car racing again to get the bad taste out of my mouth. That said, the F1 races are still the only ones I watch faithfully.

Finally, I agree that the level of both knowledge and good humor seen here is refreshingly high.

Last edited by gwsat; 07-19-2014 at 06:53 PM.
post #5124 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I heard the announcers say Kimi was really slow in the first sector on that last quali run, perhaps he had a bad second sector too and and gave up the run or was called in. Its frustrating to see him this year, just cant come close to Fernando (yes, i know Fernando is better, but still Kimi should be putting in faster times than he is).

As to Lewis, he switched to those brakes, so its no conspiracy. Be interesting to watch him try to move up thru the pack tomorrow.
Tack likes this.

never take life seriously
post #5125 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

For kicks, I read the comments on the ESPN F1 and Planet F1 websites. The maturity level coupled with blind Nationalism is something to behold.
post #5126 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

As for watching IndyCar, there was a time in my life that Indy was it. The 500 was the highlight of my year. I had tears in my eyes in the early 90's taking the bus tour at The Speedway.

Then the CART/IRL thing happened, and for me that was all she wrote. I think the current cars are ugly, and when I turn on a race, I see protruding manhole covers on straight sways (Baltimore) hunks of concrete being pulled up (Belle Isle) and races that can't go two laps without cautions. Add to that, and the sanctioning body seems to be making it up as they go along.

With all that ails F1 right now, it's still the best show for me personally.
gwsat likes this.
post #5127 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Before someone calls me out on my last comment about sanctioning bodies making it up as they go along, I will accept that Indycar and F1.have parity in that one. :-)
post #5128 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Before someone calls me out on my last comment about sanctioning bodies making it up as they go along, I will accept that Indycar and F1.have parity in that one. :-)
Beat me to it.
post #5129 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad Hamilton is OK. That was a pretty hard hit. Should be interesting seeing him work his way up the field. If they show it on tv. Be a miracle if he gets a podium.
Glad to see Rosberg doing well.
Not glad to see Button not doing well.
Given up a while ago on Raikkonen. Atleast he didnt hurt his back again last race. Wanted Hulkenberg to begin with.
Praying for a miracle start for Alonso.

Now to watch the first IndyCar race.
post #5130 of 5355 Old 07-19-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Now to watch the first IndyCar race.
It never really started.