post #5161 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The F1 Honey Badger speaks:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/93...cLaren-Ferrari

It will be a sad day when we no longer have Nikki's commentary on the state of play in F1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Glad to see the commentators all chime in on how they dislike the stupid fuel limit rules, after we heard over and over again on the radios that the drivers were told to save fuel. It's so sad how they've nerfed the cars this year (11k RPM limit? Seriously? This is why the cars sound like ricers with fart cans).

Great racing by Alonso and Ricci, better driver won out. And Massa was completely off-base blaming his dump on Mags, he needs to look in the mirror on that one (again).
I agree with everything except the comment about Alonso being the better driver. I think Daniel has very quickly reached that level of performance.
If forced to personally rate the drivers right now:
1. Alonso - Works miracles with inferior equipment
1 - Ricciardo - Up and coming and competitive with the 2 above (not intimidated by Alonso, Hamiltion or Vettel)
1.5 Hamilton - As much as I am not a fan, he does drive hard, but does have personality issues (just my opinion)
post #5163 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Tin hats remain a fashion staple among Hamilton fans. Now it's the lack of a safety car for the Sutil spin that have robbed Lewis of the win. I would have to agree that a safety car was warranted, but if Lewis was sitting on a 30 second lead, I can't help but wonder what the reaction would have been to the non-call. More likely they would then be screaming conspiracy if there had been a SC.
The tin foil hats aren't just being worn by his fans this time. Looks like the man himself has donned his own.

"In fact, there should have been a Safety Car.
How on earth a car can be sitting in the middle of the road for a couple of laps and not come out... but I think you know why."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/93...-A-Safety-Car-
post #5164 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
The tin foil hats aren't just being worn by his fans this time. Looks like the man himself has donned his own.

How on earth a car can be sitting in the middle of the road for a couple of laps and not come out... but I think you know why."

It's stuff like that that causes people to not be his fans, despite his obvious driving talent.
post #5165 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
I agree with everything except the comment about Alonso being the better driver. I think Daniel has very quickly reached that level of performance.
1 - Ricciardo - Up and coming and competitive with the 2 above (not intimidated by Alonso, Hamiltion or Vettel)
1.5 Hamilton - As much as I am not a fan, he does drive hard, but does have personality issues (just my opinion)
I was going to comment on the "Alonso is the better driver comment" in favor of D. Ricciardo, but I think I can probably agree with it….for now.

Alonso has nothing to prove. He is clearly getting the most out of the Crapwagon* Ferrari, and he has two World Championships under his belt. Ricciardo to date has proven nothing other than the fact that he is blindingly fast and he is not intimated by anyone on the grid. But who would not like to see him in a car that was competitive with the 2014 Merc's?

*Copyright 2004 - Paul Tracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Indianapolis_500
gprace likes this.
post #5166 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
No way....Alonso is so far beyond almost everyone else it's astounding. Look at what he can get this dog of a Ferrari to do, he's worth at least a half second, maybe more, per lap. Ricciardo is in a better car than Alonso, one that actually has some positive handling characteristics. I'm not discounting what he's done, he's been quite good, unexpectedly good even, but he's not as good as Alonso.

As far as car control/driver quality goes, I think Alonso is far and away the best on the grid. The most underrated might be Nico Hulkenberg, the driver that SHOULD HAVE BEEN Alonso's teammate.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #5167 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post
No way....Alonso is so far beyond almost everyone else it's astounding. Look at what he can get this dog of a Ferrari to do, he's worth at least a half second, maybe more, per lap. Ricciardo is in a better car than Alonso, one that actually has some positive handling characteristics. I'm not discounting what he's done, he's been quite good, unexpectedly good even, but he's not as good as Alonso.

As far as car control/driver quality goes, I think Alonso is far and away the best on the grid. The most underrated might be Nico Hulkenberg, the driver that SHOULD HAVE BEEN Alonso's teammate.
I am just keeping in mind that Riiciardo is a newcomer already showing this talent (outdistancing Vettel). Alonso already has years of experience (and I am still an Alonso fan). Please don't hate me for saying this, but I think that Ricciardo has Schumacher potential.
post #5168 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

He's not really a "newcomer" he has been in F1 since 2011 (HRT). He's good, obviously, and he's taken to the new car changes better than Vettel has, but he's (in my opinion) not close to Alonso as far as sheer driving talent....yet. I'm a Hamilton fan, so obviously I'm biased, but I don't even think Lewis can hold a candle to Alonso, who I feel, is doing the best driving of his career.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #5169 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post
He's not really a "newcomer" he has been in F1 since 2011 (HRT). He's good, obviously, and he's taken to the new car changes better than Vettel has, but he's (in my opinion) not close to Alonso as far as sheer driving talent....yet. I'm a Hamilton fan, so obviously I'm biased, but I don't even think Lewis can hold a candle to Alonso, who I feel, is doing the best driving of his career.
I was only qualifying him as a newcomer compared to Alonso, but your point is well taken. Like I said I am an Alonso fan, but watching Ricciardo as a possible future multi world champion.
post #5170 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
I was going to comment on the "Alonso is the better driver comment" in favor of D. Ricciardo, but I think I can probably agree with it….for now.
If Ricci was the better driver he would've won that duel, it's pretty obvious that his car is better than the Crapwagon Alonso is driving. Agree that he is a budding star in F1 however, he has a bright future.
post #5171 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I think he's got a potential to win a WDC, yeah, he's with the right team, so it can happen. Lots of competition now, going to be tough for someone to even duplicate what Vettel has done, let alone have a similar career to Schumacher. Truth be told, I don't think I want that do happen, I like some parity, or at least for teams to have good years and bad years. That said, I like that Mercedes GP is doing so well (obviously since I'm a Lewis fan) and I think we're close to seeing Williams and maybe even Force India get a win in 2014, which I think is cool. For all the FIA is doing wrong with the rules and regs, I've been entertained with the racing this season.
gprace likes this.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #5172 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 148
OK, now is there any question that DR is a superior driver to Vettel? Absolutely not! Not only has he been outdriving Vettel pretty much all season, when he fought with Alonso, first and foremost, he didn't scream like a little girl (literally) on the radio about Alonso not letting him by, he sucked it up and drove his ass off! Secondly, not only did he get by Alonso, but he did it multiple times as they traded positions back and forth and he never gave up.

I am quickly becoming a big fan of the kid. Awesome attitude and the kid can drive! I very much enjoyed the back and forth that he had with Alonso.

Now, not taking anything away from DR, but yes, Alonso had the fresher softer tires, but I've only seen one person mention the most valid point. The RB is a handily superior car to the Ferrari (again ), especially in the handling department. Fresher softer tires won't compensate for a deficient chassis, especially in those turns. Either way, excellent, exciting racing and as someone mentioned, they should have kept the cameras on that as it was the only exciting thing to happen in the race.

DR equal to Alonso? Ummm....NO! That's not a knock on the kid at all, as he is proving to be an outstanding talent and once he has the experience that Alonso does, he will be just as good or even better than Alonso. He just isn't there yet. Alonso has had pretty much crap cars the whole time he has been at Ferrari, and he has come very close to the title twice. You even hear the commentators mention how relentless, consistent and reliable a driver Alonso is and how he has the ability to push a crap car beyond it's potential.

Now if Kimi could just do the same thing......

As for Lauda running his c0ck sucker....STFU! It's easy to beat your chest when the team got the combo right and the FIA locked the engines so no development could be done to try and catch Merc and you guys enjoy anywhere from 70 hp-150 hp advantage over everyone. When Merc sucked balls (until this season), I don't remember the other teams calling their car sh1t. Oh well, he's classless as usual. I love how he tried to cover his ass and say "Next year will be difference because they can change half the engine." Just in case the other teams get it right and Merc doesn't have a MASSIVE HP advantage. Actually, if Renault can get even remotely close on power, RB will kick the crap out of Merc next year, especially with DR driving. Niki, let's get one thing straight, you guys have the most powerful power unit on the grid, but RB has the best chassis.
gwsat and stevew24963 like this.
post #5173 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

DR equal to Alonso? Ummm....NO! That's not a knock on the kid at all, as he is proving to be an outstanding talent and once he has the experience that Alonso does, he will be just as good or even better than Alonso. He just isn't there yet. Alonso has had pretty much crap cars the whole time he has been at Ferrari, and he has come very close to the title twice. You even hear the commentators mention how relentless, consistent and reliable a driver Alonso is and how he has the ability to push a crap car beyond it's potential.

I only rated DR that high because of his performance as a newer driver and the potential to be at the level of Alonso. I think he is approaching that level.
post #5174 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
zeus33 -- I agree with everything you wrote, although I admit I do sort of admire Niki Lauda, his big mouth notwithstanding. If Ricciardo can perform over time to the level of excellence he has shown this year, he's on the way to becoming a great driver. As for Alonso, his ability to get the performances he has out of this year's damn near undrivable Ferraris have impressed me. Kimi, however, not so much. I'm pretty sure it's not all Kimi's fault but it does seem that he should be doing better than he is.
gprace likes this.
post #5175 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Lewis does make it difficult at times to like him but I still do. The only question I have is in how many other races this year have we seen a track worker run across the track with just a yellow flag as a safety device?

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #5176 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Lewis does make it difficult at times to like him but I still do. The only question I have is in how many other races this year have we seen a track worker run across the track with just a yellow flag as a safety device?

I think there was reason to deploy the safety car but I don't think the decision not to has any political machinations behind it. But even if it was a conspiracy, I think Lewis is the last person that should say anything about it. Stuff like that makes him ( or anyone ) look like a poor sport. He's British, he's supposed to stoically endure, stiff upper lip and all that.
post #5177 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I think there was reason to deploy the safety car but I don't think the decision not to has any political machinations behind it. But even if it was a conspiracy, I think Lewis is the last person that should say anything about it. Stuff like that makes him ( or anyone ) look like a poor sport. He's British, he's supposed to stoically endure, stiff upper lip and all that.

Tack,
Ha, unfortunately at least in my world that didn't happen. I have an ex girlfriend that was originally from Britain. When she got upset it was not pleasant.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #5178 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
I only rated DR that high because of his performance as a newer driver and the potential to be at the level of Alonso. I think he is approaching that level.

I agree. The kid is super impressive. He proved he could hold his own with Alonso, and that is very impressive. Like I said, if he continues at this rate, when he has as much as experience under his belt as Alonso, he will be just as good and maybe better. Obviously, the car suits his style better than Seb's, but it is still surprising to me how well he has done against Seb. Obviously I'm not a Seb fan, but he is a great driver and I would have NEVER believed it if you told me last season that DR would do this to Seb this season.

I'm sure it will never happen, but I really hope that Merc, RB and Ferrari have very close performing cars next season. Can you imagine the battles on track if Nico, Lewis, DR, Seb, Alonso and Kimi had similar car performance? The F1 fans would win the exciting race lottery! Ahhhh.....one can dream, right? As much as I would love for Ferrari to be the one winning, it would be exponentially more rewarding if they had to fight for it.
post #5179 of 5182 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
¡Viva Fernando Alonso!

Home Theater Aficionado
post #5180 of 5182 Old Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Tack,
Ha, unfortunately at least in my world that didn't happen. I have an ex girlfriend that was originally from Britain. When she got upset it was not pleasant.
And they ask us why we drink.
post #5181 of 5182 Old Today, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
And they ask us why we drink.
Trust me,I know why. 😨

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk