2014 Formula 1 in HD - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 418Likes

post #5281 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 721
I agree that the Hungarian GP was a great race indeed. That was the most fun I had watching an F1 race this season.
stevew24963 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that the Hungarian GP was a great race indeed. That was the most fun I had watching an F1 race this season.
Agreed,sort of a slow burner at the start,but damn,what a finish!!
post #5283 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Great race, and at the end you could see Hamilton is not happy with his team at the moment. Lots of strange reliability problems, and then they asked him to move over for Rosberg at one point! No way that was going to happen.
post #5284 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 347
If you have not yet watched Hungary, avert your eyes….

Amazing race. I was literally at the edge of my seat for the last 10 laps or so. Amazing how a race in changeable conditions throws a few jokers into the deck, delivering some unlikely results. With that said….

Massive props to Ricciardo for a brilliant drive, and RB for a brilliant strategy. I am guessing Finger Boy right now is heading for some psychological counseling during the break. Nice Danny Sullivan move on the main straight though.

And massive props to Hamilton for reaching the podium from the pit lane. I am no fan, but I still maintain that he is the better of the two Merc boys, if he can both get a reliable car and most importantly keep his head screwed on straight.

And one more set of massive props to Fred to hang on for P2 on totally spent tires in a decidedly second or third tier car. Even Kimi managed to not throwaway an opportunity for some good points.

On the negative side of the ledger, Rosberg has demonstrated that Lewis is not the only Diva on the grid with an outsized sense of entitlement. Good for Lewis to flip the bird at team orders. Rosberg was not at all quicker at that point in the race. To feel aggrieved that your team mate who is battling with you tooth and nail for the WC should move over says a lot about Nico's mindset. I think both these guys can use a couple weeks off, get laid a bit, and relax.

Lauda as usual calls a spade a spade.

http://en.espnf1.com/hungary/motorsp...ry/169777.html
post #5285 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"I would not have even answered." Lauda is brilliant indeed. To let Rosberg pass was absurd!
post #5286 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How about Fernando Alonso? I am a huge Rafael Nadal fan but the way Fernando Alonso drives compels me to vote for Alonso despite Rafa's accomplishments.
post #5287 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post
How about Fernando Alonso? I am a huge Rafael Nadal fan but the way Fernando Alonso drives compels me to vote for Alonso despite Rafa's accomplishments.
Was there a poll for Best Spanish Sportsman that we missed? :-)
Tack likes this.
post #5288 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent analysis of the current situation at Merc, and from the BBC no less.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/28517522
post #5289 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 721
I am not a big Hamilton fan either. His radio communications often tend toward the hysterical but he was absolutely right to blow off his team's order that he should let Nico pass him. When that order was first transmitted, Nico wasn't close enough to pass Hamilton unless Hamilton had slowed down for him. Anyway, no race car driver with an ounce of pride would ever voluntarily give up a spot on the podium to a teammate who wasn't faster anyway, much less one who has been a world champion. In this instance at least, Lewis was absolutely right.

As much fun as the race was, the decision of the producer who was deciding which one of video feeds to show to concentrate on the fight for fourth place while ignoring what was the much more interesting fight at the front shocked me. It was so wrongheaded even the NBCSN guys commented on it.
gprace likes this.
post #5290 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am not a big Hamilton fan either. His radio communications often tend toward the hysterical but he was absolutely right to blow off his team's order that he should let Nico pass him. When that order was first transmitted, Nico wasn't close enough to pass Hamilton unless Hamilton had slowed down for him. Anyway, no race car driver with an ounce of pride would ever voluntarily give up a spot on the podium to a teammate who wasn't faster anyway, much less one who has been a world champion. In this instance at least, Lewis was absolutely right.

As much fun as the race was, the decision of the producer who was deciding which one of video feeds to show to concentrate on the fight for fourth place while ignoring what was the much more interesting fight at the front shocked me. It was so wrongheaded even the NBCSN guys commented on it.
Agree on the crap coverage during the last 10 laps. Completely out of NBC's hands, but I can't believe that fans around the world were not screaming that as good a fight at it was, no one gives a craps about 5th place when the podium positions were being settled.
To their credit, they did not really miss anything but it was frustrating.

I dream of a world where I can buy a commercial free F1 subscription with multiple camera shots that I can choose via remote. I would also like a lap dance from Scarlett Johansson. :-)
stevew24963 likes this.
post #5291 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Was there a poll for Best Spanish Sportsman that we missed? :-)
Andy Roddick retired and Isner like Roddick can NOT hang with the Europeans or the Spaniards for that matter. Cheever was the last American F1 driver to make a little noise but nothing to write about. WHY don't you tell me?

Last edited by Zenyatto; 07-27-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Correction.
post #5292 of 6778 Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Wow, I feel like I am in opposite world here. I thought the last race was much better than this one. I was skipping forward multiple times until the last ten laps. And the feed sucked! I know you guys hate Nascar for some reason, but F1 really needs to hire ESPN to run the show. Absolutely pitiful.

I thought Rosberg was holding everyone up in the middle of the race. Matter of fact I didn't think he got racy till he put on the last set of tires and that was only because he was much faster than everyone else.

I think Lewis did a great job all things considered. It did look like he settled there at the end until Nico pressed him.

From Button and Mag, "Hey thanks for the stupid decision to go with wets." I don't know what would have happened, but Jenson was in second at the time.

From the Force India pit "Hey maybe we should hire Crashdor to bring our cars home in one piece."

Speaking of Crashdor, he did not miss a chance to run into someone again. I forgot who it was, but I am sure he was happy to be bumper car in a corner.

What happened to Bottas? One minute he looked good and then the safe car came out and he lost all composure.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #5293 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 AM

"All things considered" Fernando Alonso's driving was superb. I wonder if it's too little too late for the Scuderia to get their act together and prepare a decent car for Alonso. Alonso's teammate Kimi Raikkonen finished sixth, wow...
The Belgian GP is the next race on August 24, 2014.
post #5294 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 327
With the tires he had left at the end of that race? Yeah, Alonso's driving was superb. No one can do what he does with a below-standards car, it was amazing that he finished second.
yankeeman, gprace and Zenyatto like this.
post #5295 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
With the tires he had left at the end of that race? Yeah, Alonso's driving was superb. No one can do what he does with a below-standards car, it was amazing that he finished second.
Yes, he is great for sure. Being a Ferrari rooter, I am so happy he is driving for Ferrari.

I was worried that they might penalize him for cutting that corner not too long from the end, but luckily I guess they didnt. Lewis commented on his radio that he though Fernando gained an advantage and the engineer who answered him said they noticed that. I didnt think he really gained anything, but had they given out even a teeny time penalty it could have dropped Fernando back to 4th as Lewis and Nico were right on his butt.

What an enjoyable race to watch though, really loved this one.

And has there ever been a driver with a smile as great as Ricciardo?

never take life seriously
post #5296 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
What a fun race. It needs to rain more. Hamilton was very impressive going from pit lane to a spin to the podium. The outside pass he put on JEV was sublime. Still wish he'd get his act together on the podium. Kept picking up his stuff and acting like "Is the interview over? Can I go now?" If he keeps acting like this it'll be hard to be too happy for him when he wins the title.

I agree about the world feed coverage. I was pulling my hair out. Then once Nico got them both passed they stuck around for another ninety seconds showing the replays!

Danny Ricciardo is on fire. This second win should give him true confidence. Watch out for this guy.

We've got a month break before the next one. Now that Ferrari has finally got a wind tunnel, maybe we can do a little fundraiser and get Mclaren a new radar.
BGLeduc likes this.
post #5297 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
BG,
Your predictions aren't even close. There is no way Alonso goes back to McLaren. Not only did he hate it there, Fern was instrumental in the Stepnaygate.

Ron Dennis has said repeatedly that he would like to have Alonso back, so it is a possibility. However, it would not be a smart choice. As bad as Ferrari has been for years now, especially this year, they have been better than McLaren. The fact that McLaren has the best power unit on the grid and still sucks horribly is completely unacceptable. No matter how great the Honda power unit is, it will not make up for their chassis deficiencies. So, for that reason, it is highly unlikely that Alonso would go back, but the door is wide open for him to do so.
post #5298 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Ron Dennis has said repeatedly that he would like to have Alonso back, so it is a possibility. However, it would not be a smart choice. As bad as Ferrari has been for years now, especially this year, they have been better than McLaren. The fact that McLaren has the best power unit on the grid and still sucks horribly is completely unacceptable. No matter how great the Honda power unit is, it will not make up for their chassis deficiencies. So, for that reason, it is highly unlikely that Alonso would go back, but the door is wide open for him to do so.

I think he should stay. Could you imagine that if next year was the year Ferrari turned it around and he wasn't there? He'd be beside himself.

They seem to be improving already. The cars don't appear to want to swap ends as much as they were. It's a start.
post #5299 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW the countryside around the Hungaroring and Budapest is breathtaking. I would love to see it in person.
post #5300 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I think he should stay. Could you imagine that if next year was the year Ferrari turned it around and he wasn't there? He'd be beside himself.

They seem to be improving already. The cars don't appear to want to swap ends as much as they were. It's a start.
That's really the problem with the new formula, isn't it?

I can't believe that anyone really expected Merc to dominate the way the did this year, and I see next year as just as much of a crap shoot. It must be really hard for a driver with legitimate WDC aspirations to know where to go next year, should moving be an option. I really wish they would allow open development throughout the year and a proper testing schedule. It's fun to watch the Merc boys fight, and I enjoy seeing drivers like Ricciardo get to the top step when reliability or changeable conditions throw a spanner into the works, but who wouldn't like to see Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, and Lotus also as legit contenders for a win?

Wait….it's already sorted. Next year the teams that do well will earn some success ballast. Problem solved. :-)
post #5301 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

I sure hope he stays. We need all of the help we can get! Besides, Merc and RB are the only viable options for a team with a "better" car, but I don't really see either one happening. I hope that Renault and Ferrari can both make up the power deficit to Merc next season and level the playing field somewhat.

It's insane the power advantage that Merc has. Kimi was behind Rosberg on the straight with the DRS open and Rosberg (no DRS) was still a couple of kmh faster!
post #5302 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

On the other hand, what a killer view of Eau Rouge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Btn-SLDIgAAKg61.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	184106  
stevew24963 likes this.
post #5303 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Buxton's blog on the state of F1 and what needs fixing vs. what doesn't.

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com...7/28/new-coke/

One thing I found interesting was that during the run up to the NASCAR Brickyard event, the commentators were discussing issues with costs and revenue sharing that were of great concerns to the teams. NASCAR is never afraid to tweak "The Show", but that has not kept the stands full. Maybe there is nothing wrong with the show, as Buxton opines in his blog.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #5304 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On the other hand, what a killer view of Eau Rouge.

I'd like to visit there too. A friend of mine went to the Motocross des nations in Lommel a year or two ago. Said it was beautiful.
post #5305 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd like to visit there too. A friend of mine went to the Motocross des nations in Lommel a year or two ago. Said it was beautiful.
I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, Spa would be on it. On one of the Porsche forums where I sometimes hang out, the guys from the Great Britain Porsche Club mentioned that they have done track days at Spa. Now that I have done Laguna Seca and the Corkscrew, I have something to hit back with, but as cool as LS is, I am not sure it is the equal of Spa.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #5306 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea when it comes to tracks, Spa is pretty much "it". Suzuka might be second.
slowbiscuit and stevew24963 like this.
post #5307 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yea when it comes to tracks, Spa is pretty much "it". Suzuka might be second.
Suzuka is an awesome track. 130 R is comparable to Eau Rouge.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #5308 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Suzuka is an awesome track. 130 R is comparable to Eau Rouge.

I still remember Alonso's 200 MPH outside pass on Schumi around the 130R (2006 I think). He had double attachments that day.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #5309 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I still remember Alonso's 200 MPH outside pass on Schumi around the 130R (2006 I think). He had double attachments that day.
Probably did it with eyes closed,praying he made it! 😱

post #5310 of 6778 Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Agree on the crap coverage during the last 10 laps. Completely out of NBC's hands, but I can't believe that fans around the world were not screaming that as good a fight at it was, no one gives a craps about 5th place when the podium positions were being settled.
To their credit, they did not really miss anything but it was frustrating.

I dream of a world where I can buy a commercial free F1 subscription with multiple camera shots that I can choose via remote. I would also like a lap dance from Scarlett Johansson. :-)
I can no longer tolerate NBCSN's coverage of F1 events. If I see another commercial for Restaurant Startup I will explode !
I DL the SKY TV (UK) coverage ...commercial free and intelligent commentators. I believe this is a PPV event in the UK hence no cemmercials.

EDIT: Sorry can't help you out with Scarlett but let us know if you come up with something
BGLeduc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page