post #5551 of 6076 Old 08-17-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Apparently, "Let's go racin', boys" has limits. Unfortunate that it takes a tradgedy for common sense to take hold.

I read a piece somewhere recently that said Indycar has had that rule on the books for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Whilst we are waiting for Spa to get underway I think it is time for a bit of good old fashioned Bernie bashing.
We all know that F1 attendances and tv viewing audience figures have been down recently and there have been two good articles on why this has been the case.

"Final thought: there is an on-going debate about the sport’s dwindling audiences and so on. My contribution is that Bernie’s biggest mistake has been his determination to sell Formula One and new tracks to territories where there is no history or interest in the sport whatsoever while at the same time ignoring some of its traditional strongholds.
These mainly Far Eastern deals are short term and have shown repeatedly that they do nothing to grow the sport. I am thinking of China (empty stadium), Turkey (empty stadium, now white elephant), South Korea (cancelled), India (future uncertain), Bahrain (always a struggle and politically very tricky), Abu Dhabi (a long-term “maybe”).
At the same time as these duds were wasting the sport’s energy, there was no race in the United States for much of the time, or France, a race was dropped in Germany and Italy and even the British Grand Prix was under threat at one point. Isn’t it time for Formula One to play to its strengths, to build on its history, not ignore it?"

from http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...ook-ed-gorman/

and

"9.The Return of the Austrian GP
Say what you like about the Red Bull organization, they know how to organise an event. The Austrian GP weekend was where F1 was reunited with an old friend. Unlike most new-country GPs, it wasn't a question of spot-the-spectator on Friday and Saturday, it was a sell-out race. It may not have delivered the kind of racing result that the two Dieter Mateschitz teams were hoping for, but it restored the buzz back to F1."

from http://www.planet-f1.com/editorial/9...oments-In-2014

How many F1 fans exist in Azerbaijan?

Bernie is the person responsible for F1's decline by giving places with no real interest in the sport a Grand Prix in exchange for cash to stuff into his already overfull pockets, even allowing for his latest soap opera farce with the German courts.
gprace likes this.
post #5553 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Good post.
gwsat likes this.
post #5554 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I'll second that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #5555 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The biggest thing I get out of that post is that F1 isn't the world sport that it is made out to be.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #5556 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Yankees lost the game i went to!! Oh the horror!!!!
We didn't go to a ballgame while we were there but my son sent me a pic he took from his employer's box behind the Yankee dugout a couple of weeks ago. He had taken vendor's the company buys from to a game.

In my last post, I failed to mention our favorite place to eat in NYC, my daughter and her husband live in Tulsa and we all went on the trip. Despite a number of fancy meals, including one at Wolfgang's, our favorite food came from a sidewalk outfit called The Halal Guys, located at 53rd and 6th Ave. It was close to our hotel and we got their chicken and lamb with white sauce over rice several times. Yummy!

I agree that Bernie's policy of bringing F1 to new and palatial venues in the middle and far east has been shortsighted in the extreme. There just aren't enough fans in that part of the world to sustain such a gamble. F1 is a Euro-centric sport and Bernie better figure out which side of his bread the butter is on. His bet on the US by sanctioning the Austin GP was a good one. But given the huge shadow cast by NASCAR, I suspect we won't see any new races sanctioned in the US in the US in the near future.
post #5557 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I believe that because the US is so large, and I suspect that the US fan base may be larger than Bernie thinks, that we could easily support a second race. Keep in mind that the Canadian race draws a big crowd from all over the US so would not, say, a New York/New Jersey or California race be a large draw?
post #5558 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
I believe that because the US is so large, and I suspect that the US fan base may be larger than Bernie thinks, that we could easily support a second race. Keep in mind that the Canadian race draws a big crowd from all over the US so would not, say, a New York/New Jersey or California race be a large draw?

You would think so. Hence the reasoning behind the Grand Prix that was supposed to happen in Jersey. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the US that would rather go there than cross the border to Canada for a race. But alas, it doesn't seem like it will happen.
post #5559 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
S**t, you can count me in for attending a Formula 1 race if it was here in California.

Mmmm, Laguna Seca!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #5560 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I love Laguna Seca but just to burst that bubble. F-1 will never run at Mazda Laguna Seca! The neighbors complain too much now. It's hard to even run a track day there as they have that killjoy 95db limit on the track! Long Beach was mentioned as to possibly returning as an F-1 race? It's always the money aspect and Bernie that kills the possibility of having the races as they once were with steady attendance. Nothing positive happens when you pull a race from a track after it gets established.

I have wanted to attend the Canada race for years! Time to start planning as I need to see an F-1 race outside the USA.
gprace likes this.
post #5561 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

For the Tifosi. http://m.autoblog.com/2014/08/18/fer...usaolp00000595

post #5562 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
I hope you're right, God knows! A second GP on US soil would be a wonderful thing. Who Knows? Maybe it will really happen.
post #5563 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I love Laguna Seca but just to burst that bubble. F-1 will never run at Mazda Laguna Seca! The neighbors complain too much now. It's hard to even run a track day there as they have that killjoy 95db limit on the track! Long Beach was mentioned as to possibly returning as an F-1 race? It's always the money aspect and Bernie that kills the possibility of having the races as they once were with steady attendance. Nothing positive happens when you pull a race from a track after it gets established.

I have wanted to attend the Canada race for years! Time to start planning as I need to see an F-1 race outside the USA.
Canada has been a definite must for me. My wife and I have been attending for several years. Don't miss it if you have the opportunity. Hotels are booked almost a year in advance due to the large attendance.
post #5564 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Yeah. Wow, that sucks.

When I was at Seca last summer for a Jaguar Experience I was taken around the track in the new F-type and each time we got to the ascent up the hill to the back of the track my driver had to let off the throttle for "SPL limits". I remember being like, "Wtf? but this is still awesome!". General traffic on the the road will be that loud and continuous. A race happens only so often and for a short couple hours. Ugh. Pretty lame. Why even have a race track? Any a-hole with a modded exhaust can make much more noise and do it at odd hours.

Anyway... F1 on Seca would be friggin awesome.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5565 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

That's like people that buy houses near an airport then bitch about the noise. You knew the track was there when you bought. I think Wayne Rainey has a house overlooking the track,don't think he complained about some "noise"

post #5566 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Bass Enabler

Well off people with the correct political pull.

Goodtimes.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5567 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Killjoys.😠

post #5568 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Well off people with the correct political pull.

Goodtimes.
Dicks. You're talking about dicks.
post #5569 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

😨

post #5570 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Dicks. You're talking about dicks.
Dicks with money. Lots of money. And influence.

If only I could be so fortunate.

Erm....correction. If I were so fortunate I would not subject onto other people my views or favors. Maybe just some bass but still.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5571 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Dicks with money. Lots of money. And influence.

If only I could be so fortunate.

Erm....correction. If I were so fortunate I would not subject onto other people my views or favors. Maybe just some bass but still.
SOME bass? Ha!
post #5572 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I love Laguna Seca but just to burst that bubble. F-1 will never run at Mazda Laguna Seca! The neighbors complain too much now. It's hard to even run a track day there as they have that killjoy 95db limit on the track!

You're in luck. With these crap power units, the cars never exceed 90 db!
post #5573 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

What's all this dick talk. Leave you guys alone for a day and look what happens. :-)

Anyone up for some major F1 news?

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...5-announcement
stevew24963 likes this.
post #5574 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Bass Enabler

We're still waiting for the next race man!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5575 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
You're in luck. With these crap power units, the cars never exceed 90 db!
Nah, it'll never be held at Laguna Seca because its too far from any big cities, and that means less $$$ for Bernie.

And I know you were kidding, but I just had to google it to find out just how loud the cars are. Huffington post of all places came up first, noise is down from 145 to 134 db this year. I think the lower pitch is the bigger problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/trevor...b_5297898.html
post #5576 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Bass Enabler

Again. Why even have a race track?

Guess it will be safe when Formula E comes around.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5577 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. Wow, that sucks.

When I was at Seca last summer for a Jaguar Experience I was taken around the track in the new F-type and each time we got to the ascent up the hill to the back of the track my driver had to let off the throttle for "SPL limits". I remember being like, "Wtf? but this is still awesome!". General traffic on the the road will be that loud and continuous. A race happens only so often and for a short couple hours. Ugh. Pretty lame. Why even have a race track? Any a-hole with a modded exhaust can make much more noise and do it at odd hours.

Anyway... F1 on Seca would be friggin awesome.
When I did my PCA DE in June, I was warned that even cars with stock exhaust can sometimes blow >95 on the run up to Turn 6. I short shifted my stock Cayman S going up the hill my first session, then just said screw it; it's 3 strikes your out. If I am going to go down, I am taking my three swings. Fortunately, I never tripped the sound meter.

I was told that there are a handful of days a year where there are no sound restrictions, but other than that, the sound police are camped out in their cottage. Sad state of affairs as LS is one of the worlds great tracks.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #5578 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Nah, it'll never be held at Laguna Seca because its too far from any big cities, and that means less $$$ for Bernie.

And I know you were kidding, but I just had to google it to find out just how loud the cars are. Huffington post of all places came up first, noise is down from 145 to 134 db this year. I think the lower pitch is the bigger problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/trevor...b_5297898.html

Wow, I would have never guessed the 134 db. Obviously, I was being facetious with 90, but I didn't think they were even close to 134. Yes, the tone definitely makes a difference. Thanks for the info.
post #5579 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
What's all this dick talk. Leave you guys alone for a day and look what happens. :-)

Anyone up for some major F1 news?

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...5-announcement

Where have you been BG? I posted that last Tuesday! The picture in your article is cooler than mine though.

2014 Formula 1 in HD
post #5580 of 6076 Old 08-18-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Where have you been BG? I posted that last Tuesday! The picture in your article is cooler than mine though.

2014 Formula 1 in HD
The announcement today is for a full F1 seat with Torro Rossa. The previous announcement was that he was joining the RB junior team which I think is something different than TR; F3 maybe?

The F1 pundits I follow on Twitter were all agog at the news leading me to think it was like Ron Burgundy; kind of a big deal.

Imagine a full F1 ride at 17. The joke is that if he were to earn a podium, he would not be legally allowed to drink the champagne in many places.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 08-18-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page